Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Charlie Cotton (Declan Bennett)

Exclamation Charlie Cotton (Declan Bennett)

EastEnders bosses have cast Declan Bennett in the role of Dot Branning's grandson Charlie Cotton.

Charlie - Nick's eldest son - will leave Dot shellshocked by turning up on her doorstep unexpectedly later this year.

'Once' play press night after party at Waxy O'Connors, London, Britain - 09 Apr 2013
    Declan Bennett
    9 Apr 2013
    © REX/Dan Wooller
    Declan Bennett

Newcomer Charlie is named after his grandfather, but Dot (June Brown) is currently unaware of his existence.

Once Charlie is in Walford, viewers will be left to wonder why he has decided to track Dot down after so many years - and whether he has taken after the good or bad members of his family.

Speaking of his new part, Bennett commented: "I'm delighted to be joining the cast of EastEnders, especially at what seems to be an extremely exciting time for the show. June Brown is not only an incredible actress but has also created one of TV's most iconic characters, so to be working alongside her is a dream come true."

EastEnders' executive producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins added: "Declan is a genuinely raw, instinctive and intelligent actor. It's tremendously exciting for us to have him join our cast - and the double whammy of him and June Brown working together is going to be electric.

"With Dot feeling increasingly alone in the world, Charlie's surprise appearance means that she finally has some blood whom she can trust. But should she?"

Bennett is currently playing the lead role of Guy in the musical Once at the Phoenix Theatre in London. He will begin filming at EastEnders later this month and appear on screen from March.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (23-01-2014), tammyy2j (30-01-2014)

a new man for stacey

He looks like Matthew MacFadyen

EastEnders legend Dot Branning will be left shell-shocked later this month as she learns that her villainous son Nick Cotton has died.

Dot, played by June Brown, will be grief-stricken when the police break the bad news to her in an upcoming episode.

Although Dot was estranged from her son, she will struggle to come to terms with the fact that he is gone for good.

Viewers know that, in a cruel twist, Dot missed out on a chance to reconcile with Nick before his death. An episode which aired in January saw Nick try to make contact with Dot by phoning her, but her housemate Poppy Meadow interfered by warning him off.

News of Nick's demise will also lead to the introduction of his eldest son Charlie.

In January, it was announced that actor Declan Bennett had been cast in the role of Charlie, whose arrival will surprise Dot as she was previously unaware of his existence.

Speaking at the time, Bennett commented: "I'm delighted to be joining the cast of EastEnders, especially at what seems to be an extremely exciting time for the show. June Brown is not only an incredible actress, but has also created one of TV's most iconic characters, so to be working alongside her is a dream come true."

Nick, played by John Altman, is one of EastEnders' original characters and one of the show's best-known villains. He has appeared on and off since the soap's first episode in 1985.

The bad boy was last seen on screen in 2009, when he left Walford after holding a number of the local residents hostage at the café.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (02-03-2014), sarah c (02-03-2014)

Great shame . I had hoped Nick and his daughter Dotty would return at some stage. Maybe Dotty will ,what a magical child actor imo. Molly Conlin who played her . has continued acting , I'm sure she'll be a name to remember for the future.

EastEnders star Declan Bennett has said that he hopes his character Charlie Cotton doesn't take after his villainous father Nick.

The actor made his debut as Charlie earlier this month when he turned up on Dot's doorstep as she received the news that her son Nick had died.

Charlie has been trying to help Dot come to terms with her loss, but viewers have been left wondering what his true motives are.

Speaking about the plot on Lorraine today (March 25), Bennett said: "All I can say is keep watching this week and you will find out.

"We are going to have to wait and see. I don't want to take after my dad too much but that is the whole flip to the story.

"Is he there to look after his grandma and take care of her, or is he going to be going down a slightly darker route?"

Dot's need to see Nick is inflamed and she demands that Charlie take her to the crematorium to see Nick’s body.
    © BBC
    Dot's need to see Nick is inflamed

Speaking about working with June Brown, who plays Dot, Bennett said: "She's an absolute legend and one of the funniest people I have ever met in my entire life.

"She's amazing - it's pure joy. We go and sit in her dressing room and drink tea and eat biscuits. She tells me about her diet and what she does with her days. She's incredible."

Bennett also revealed that EastEnders is his first proper television role after coming from a theatre background.

Dot's need to see Nick is inflamed and she demands that Charlie take her to the crematorium to see Nick’s body.
    © BBC
    Dot's need to see Nick is inflamed

He said: "It's the first TV thing I have ever done. I have done a couple of little movies but it's the first big TV show I have ever done. It's so different from being on stage.

"On stage you tell an entire story from start to finish and there is an audience of a thousand people a night and you are doing the same thing eight times a week.

"Then when it was transferred to being on TV, stories on soaps never end. There is no beginning and no end - you are always in the middle of it and obviously there is no audience, so it is totally different."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (25-03-2014), tammyy2j (25-03-2014)

I don't think Nick is really dead and Dot shouldn't trust Charlie

ronnie is first to sample his goods

EastEnders newcomer Declan Bennett has suggested that his deceitful character Charlie Cotton may not necessarily be a villain.

Viewers have been suspicious of Charlie since he arrived on Albert Square in March as the grandson Dot Branning never knew existed.

Earlier this month, Dot finally realised that Charlie may be a fraud - but he soon roped in his mother Yvonne to throw her off the scent with a false story.

Speaking about the ongoing mystery, Bennett told ITV's This Morning today (May 20): "I think there's some stuff going on in Charlie's world. He's getting himself mixed up in a lot of things.

"I think he's trying to do the right things, but for potentially the wrong reasons. Or do the wrong things for the right reasons, I should say!"

Bennett also heaped praise on June Brown, who plays Dot, for her commitment on set.

He said: "She's an absolute legend. I can't really say any more! She laughs and she talks and she gives direction. She's incredible - she's amazing to work with."

Last edited by tammyy2j; 12-08-2014 at 00:22.

Thread Information