Holby City airs the episode that many fans have been waiting for next week as Jac Naylor suddenly goes into early labour.

As Jac (Rosie Marcel) prepares for her upcoming delivery date with support from ex-boyfriend Jonny Maconie, she panics when she starts experiencing contractions and her waters break.

Viewers know that Jac and Jonny's unborn child has been diagnosed with a congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH), leaving just a 50% chance of survival after birth. With a tense time ahead, the team on Darwin spring into action to help Jac...

Digital Spy recently chatted to Michael Thomson, who plays Jonny, to hear more about the emotional episode.

What was it like to film such a big episode?
"It's always scary when you first get a script like that, because it's big, emotional stuff and you want to get everything right. I know actors always use this phrase and it can be slightly irritating, but I felt a responsibility to people who are going through this in real life.

"CDH is a particularly nasty condition and it's very unpleasant. It's an unpredictable set of circumstances which comes when you should be at your happiest in life - you're bringing a new life into the world, but then you're dealing with all this uncertainty."

How did you prepare for it?
"I did a wee bit of research and watched a couple of different things, in particular an episode of One Born Every Minute which had me in pieces by the end of it, because the young couple who were in it were so incredibly brave.

"So I was certainly nervous about getting it right, but sometimes it's good to be nervous as an actor. For me, I can only really explore the man's point of view - I can tell Jonny's story but I can't tell Jac's. I really wanted to capture a feeling of helplessness. In the episode of One Born Every Minute I watched, the guy was very strong, physical and capable, but what really struck me was how helpless he felt."

The Holby City fans who have followed this storyline have been looking forward to this episode for a number of weeks! Will it be worth the wait?
"Well, I don't like to blow my own trumpet but I really do think that the directors and writers who were involved have really done it justice. The great thing about Holby, like a lot of long-running dramas, is that you see the same stories told over and over again - but because we have such good writers and directors, as actors we're always going somewhere different. Jonny as a character is currently on a trajectory that I never could have predicted.

"I'm really proud of what we've done and Rosie does some really amazing stuff in this episode - not just physically in the performance, but also emotionally. I think what's really interesting is seeing characters in a place of vulnerability or under circumstances that you've never seen them in before.

"This episode definitely does that - it puts Jac and Jonny in a place where they really have to call into question what they mean to each other. They have to really lean on each other and the tension is pretty high all the way through, right until the last minute. I'm hoping and praying that the fans will really love it, but all I can say for now is that I'm very proud of it."

Have you watched any of the scenes back yet?
"Yes - as an actor, I do watch a lot. People don't encourage it sometimes as they say it makes you self-conscious, but I haven't been doing TV for very long so I think it's the only way I can improve what I'm doing or maybe change things. If I watch it back immediately, I feel like I'm learning, so I've seen little bits and pieces of this episode and I'm really pleased with what I did see.

"It's very emotionally raw and there's a lot of pace and tension. I also think that me and Rosie are taking our characters somewhere new."

Are you aware of Jac and Jonny's popularity among the online fans?
"Kind of! I don't do Twitter or any of those things. It's not that I don't appreciate the fans, because obviously I do. Anyone who calls themselves a fan of anything I do, I'm very grateful for! But I'm a wee bit scared of Twitter - I don't really get it, so I stay away from it!

"I definitely hear about the online feedback from other colleagues, though - in particular Chizzy who plays Mo. She's a very good friend of mine and she's regularly on Twitter. She tells me all kinds of things that are happening on Twitter and how popular Jac and Jonny are!

"I'm really glad because when I first came into the show, I don't think people knew quite what to make of me. They weren't sure of this wee Scottish fella who came out of nowhere, but I'm told now that there are people who are really fond of the Jac and Jonny relationship, and that feels great. What I set out to do was make Jonny a good, believable character and make this relationship interesting to watch.

"Most of that comes down to the great writing and great directing, to be honest - I just do what I'm told. When they give you great stories and write you a really lovely character like Jonny, then I think any appeal comes from that, really."

Do you hope Jac and Jonny will get back together?
"I like to play Holby like I live my life - I never know what's going to happen! I like it when it comes as a surprise, to be honest. All I can say is that it's a great honour and a real pleasure to work with an actor as committed as Rosie. That's something I'll never get sick of, because you can't do scenes like this on your own.

"In terms of the character, I just like the writers to lead me and tell me where they want things to go - so you never know! The other lovely thing about this episode is that, regardless of romance or whether they get back together or not, there's a real sense of the history they have as they go through this. We explore what they've been through together and the people that they've become. They really have to think about that in this episode - what do they mean to each other?"

Holby has a new producer and some new cast members following some recent departures. How do you feel about all the changes?
"I have an extraordinary amount of respect for the producer Simon Harper. I read his interview with Digital Spy where he said, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' but at the same time he is listening to the audience. I feel in very safe hands with him and he's very approachable too, so that makes life really pleasant at work.

"With people leaving, it's always a shocker and some great heavyweight actors have left the show. That's not for any particular reason, it's just because they felt it was their time to move on. You want the show to have as many talented actors as it can as it raises the standard, but we've also had just as many fantastic additions.

"Carlyss Peer who plays Bonnie is fantastic, along with Joe McFadden - when I was at school, every girl had a picture of him on their wall! We've also had John Michie and Louise Delamere joining the cast. The calibre is incredibly high on the show. People can sometimes forget about that when it's a long-running show, but look at the CVs of the people we've got."

Aside from Carlyss, have you been working with many of the newcomers?
"I'd love to work more with John and Joe. With me and John, the Scots are taking over Holby but it'd be great if we could get some more scenes. Maybe it would be too much testosterone for the camera to contain! (Laughs.) I have done a wee bit with John, with Louise and with Camilla [Arfwedson] who's also started recently. They've been really great to work with and I'm looking forward to getting some more scenes with them."