Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Priya Sharma (Fiona Wade)

Last edited by tammyy2j; 03-06-2014 at 01:14.

Emmerdale's Priya Sharma defies the wishes of her brother Jai next week as she gets to know her latest suitor Rakesh Kotecha.

Priya quickly develops a bond with Rakesh (Pasha Bocarie) when they go on a date together, but trouble brews when it turns out that the newcomer is an enemy from Jai's past.

Here, Fiona Wade - who plays Priya - explains why her feisty character won't listen when Jai (Chris Bisson) warns that Rakesh is bad news.

Next week, Priya cancels her first meeting with Rakesh. Why?
    "Priya has seen two other suitors by this point and it hasn't gone very well at all. She just gives up and decides that maybe an arranged marriage isn't for her, so she should forget it."

What is Rakesh like when he turns up anyway, having not received the message?
    "Rakesh is very professional as he's a lawyer. He's very intelligent and he's lovely with Priya and Amba, but I think Rakesh also has an edge to him. The audience will see that, but Priya doesn't just yet.

"The edge is all due to the history between him and Jai. Rakesh is an interesting character with lots of layers and we don't know much about him at first, so it's all very interesting and should keep viewers guessing as well."

Is Priya impressed when she first meets him?
    "Priya is impressed, but when she first meets him, she isn't ready as she has cancelled their date. She comes to the door and she's not dressed or anything, but Rakesh definitely makes an impression on her because even though she sends him away initially, she later changes her mind and decides that he is worth meeting."

Fiona Wade as Priya & Pasha Bocarie as Rakesh Kotecha in Emmerdale
    © ITV
    Fiona Wade as Priya & Pasha Bocarie as Rakesh

How is Priya persuaded to give Rakesh a chance?
    "Priya is in the office with Nicola and talks to her about how this young man has caught her completely off-guard by arriving when she was in her dressing gown and had Amba's sick all over her!

"Nicola just asks, 'Are you crazy? He's a handsome guy with a lovely car and a great job'. Priya is trying to act like she's not bothered, but she actually is and she ends up getting her dad to arrange for Rakesh to come back."

Georgia isn't so keen on Rakesh, though! Why is that?
    "I think Georgia is so protective over Priya after everything she's been through. It took Georgia a long time to come round to the arranged marriage idea in the first place. Before she meets Rakesh she just thinks, 'You better be good enough for my daughter'. She's worried that Priya is rushing into things."

Does Rakesh know that Priya has a child?
    "Yes, he does. He does know that before he meets her and then on one of the first times they're together, Priya is with Amba. Rakesh really takes to the baby and that's one of the reasons that she likes him.

"It doesn't bother him that Priya is a single mum. He's had children of his own, so he likes Amba. I think he's quite happy to have this little ready-made family unit."

What do Priya and Rakesh do on their first date?
    "Rakesh surprises Priya and takes her out for a picnic, which is lovely. As they chat on the pavilion, Priya really opens up to Rakesh about everything that she's been through in the last six months with her anorexia."

Why is Priya so determined to tell Rakesh about her eating disorder after previously keeping it quiet?
    "Because now Priya has come to terms with it and she has received treatment for it. She realises that she has to be honest and open. Priya wasn't with the first two suitors and didn't want to say anything, but now she knows that she has to be honest, otherwise the relationship isn't going to work."

Why doesn't Jai like Rakesh?
    "We don't know yet! There's a big history with Jai and Rakesh, but Jai can't really say too much because it was something that he was involved in too, very many years ago.

"Jai obviously doesn't want Rakesh to marry his sister and feels very strongly that he's not good enough for her. There's a big conflict about it. Priya says, 'Just tell me what is wrong with him' and the excuse that Jai gives just isn't good enough for Priya. I think Jai is having to bend the truth a little bit in his responses to his sister!"

Is there part of Priya that's trying to make David jealous?
    "Absolutely not - not this time. Priya has evolved a lot since then. She will always love David to a certain extent as he is Amba's dad and she is still sad about what happened, but she's a strong girl. She's one of those girls who picks herself up and decides that it's time to find a new guy. Priya wants what she imagines she might have had with David - she wants that with Rakesh."

Does David become jealous anyway?
    "No, David isn't jealous but he is quite threatened by Rakesh in terms of the little baby. He knows that Rakesh is probably going to be with Amba much more than he will be. The contrast between David and Rakesh is also quite funny. They're completely different characters. David is quite a comedy character, while Rakesh is quite serious and suave. I think David looks up to him a little bit."

Why does Rakesh start to think that he doesn't have a chance with Priya?
    "I think Rakesh just thinks that there are too many complications due to his history with Jai. But Priya stands by her man and thinks that Jai's disapproval isn't a good enough excuse to end the relationship. She doesn't want her brother to rule her life, and she does like Rakesh."

What makes Priya decide to get engaged to Rakesh?
    "Priya thinks that Rakesh is a perfect suitor for her and will be a good dad to Amba. She sees that he ticks all the right boxes for her. They also do have a chemistry and a spark. Although they've not done things the normal way by falling in love first, she thinks that will come in time."

Would Priya take Amba away from the village if things went well with Rakesh?
    "No, I don't think she would. Priya's family are in the village and David is too. She's not selfish and she knows that she has built a life for herself now. Priya wants Rakesh to be in the village and they can build a life with each other there. She also reassures David over that."

What does Priya make of it when Jai keep stirring?
    "She's annoyed! It's another thing that her big brother is getting involved with. Priya and Jai have quite a funny relationship. They love each other and Jai has really been there for her during her illness. They have a lot of respect for each other, but when it comes to guys, Priya isn't going to listen and she definitely has her head strong on this one…"

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Cheskazmum (08-07-2014), maidmarian (08-07-2014), sarah c (09-07-2014)

Emmerdale's Priya Sharma will try to sabotage Vanessa Woodfield's fling with Kirin Kotecha next week.

Priya (Fiona Wade) will be shocked when she discovers what has been going on with Vanessa (Michelle Hardwick) and Kirin (Adam Fielding), after unintentionally catching them out.

Not wanting any problems for her fiancé Rakesh (Pasha Bocarie), Priya sets about trying to end the relationship, much to Kirin's annoyance.

Annoyed by Priya's continuous prying, Kirin firmly tells her that he will see Vanessa again if he wants to.

Vanessa and Kirin are caught out
    © ITV
    Vanessa and Kirin are caught out

Later, Priya overhears Vanessa telling Leyla how much she likes Kirin and takes the opportunity to stir up trouble.

Despite learning that Kirin's 'date' was actually his auntie, Priya twists the truth by telling Vanessa that Kirin has met a girl and they're going on a second date. Will her meddling have consequences for Vanessa and Kirin?

Emmerdale airs these scenes on Monday, September 8 at 6.45pm on ITV.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (03-09-2014)

Priya is to have 11th hour nerves next week as she prepares for her arranged marriage to Rakesh. Prior to the ceremony, the bride-to-be will be seen locking herself in the bathroom and refusing to come out. So will her plans to marry be thrown into jeopardy?

"Priya is definitely scared," says actress Fiona Wade. "She realises that she doesn't really know Rakesh. She'd be marrying him and having the family and then hoping she'd fall in love with him. It's all about the chemistry - they haven't even kissed, so she's wondering whether that side of things will actually work. He's a lovely guy and very caring - but is the passion there?"

In scenes to be shown on Tuesday 7 October, Priya will be left humiliated when Rakesh tries to talk to her through the locked door. She allows him in, but immediately gives in to her tears

"He says he loves her and that panics her because, at that moment, she doesn't love him back. It's an awkward moment for Priya. She breaks down and tells Rakesh that she doesn't love him yet and that she thought they would grow to love each other at the same time," continues Wade. "The poor girl is completely numb at the moment. She's running scared and very confused."

What makes matters worse is the fact that Priya's eating disorder has returned to haunt her just as she's preparing to tie the knot: "I think every day is a constant battle, but obviously we can't show that on screen every single day. When playing this character I always have to be mindful of that. She'll always be aware of what she eats, but she's got better because of her treatment.

"When Priya is happy, she can just about get through days, but when she's unhappy like she is at the moment at times, it's quite difficult."

With the obstacles stacking up, it certainly seems that Priya and Rakesh's wedding is going to be fraught with problems. Eventually, Rakesh suggests they call off the wedding, but Priya tries to convince herself they should go ahead and get married. They finally arrive at Home Farm, but will this be the wedding of Priya’s dreams? And should she even be getting married at all?

"It's very difficult for me to say, because I know there are still things about Rakesh that have not unfolded. We still don't know what they are or if they're ever going to come to light but there is a history with Jai," recalls Wade. "There are some skeletons in Rakesh's closet, but the one thing Priya can be sure of is that Rakesh does genuinely love her and he wants to make it work."

Priya is to have 11th hour nerves next week as she prepares for her arranged marriage to Rakesh. Prior to the ceremony, the bride-to-be will be seen locking herself in the bathroom and refusing to come out. So will her plans to marry be thrown into jeopardy?

"Priya is definitely scared," says actress Fiona Wade. "She realises that she doesn't really know Rakesh. She'd be marrying him and having the family and then hoping she'd fall in love with him. It's all about the chemistry - they haven't even kissed, so she's wondering whether that side of things will actually work. He's a lovely guy and very caring - but is the passion there?"

In scenes to be shown on Tuesday 7 October, Priya will be left humiliated when Rakesh tries to talk to her through the locked door. She allows him in, but immediately gives in to her tears

"He says he loves her and that panics her because, at that moment, she doesn't love him back. It's an awkward moment for Priya. She breaks down and tells Rakesh that she doesn't love him yet and that she thought they would grow to love each other at the same time," continues Wade. "The poor girl is completely numb at the moment. She's running scared and very confused."

What makes matters worse is the fact that Priya's eating disorder has returned to haunt her just as she's preparing to tie the knot: "I think every day is a constant battle, but obviously we can't show that on screen every single day. When playing this character I always have to be mindful of that. She'll always be aware of what she eats, but she's got better because of her treatment.

"When Priya is happy, she can just about get through days, but when she's unhappy like she is at the moment at times, it's quite difficult."

With the obstacles stacking up, it certainly seems that Priya and Rakesh's wedding is going to be fraught with problems. Eventually, Rakesh suggests they call off the wedding, but Priya tries to convince herself they should go ahead and get married. They finally arrive at Home Farm, but will this be the wedding of Priya’s dreams? And should she even be getting married at all?

"It's very difficult for me to say, because I know there are still things about Rakesh that have not unfolded. We still don't know what they are or if they're ever going to come to light but there is a history with Jai," recalls Wade. "There are some skeletons in Rakesh's closet, but the one thing Priya can be sure of is that Rakesh does genuinely love her and he wants to make it work."

think she is still after david

Emmerdale's Priya Sharma reacts badly tonight (October 28) as she is accused of falling into old traps with her eating.

As Priya (Fiona Wade) struggles to keep on top of things at the factory, her father Rishi is more concerned that she appears to be skipping meals again.

Already overloaded with various work dramas, Priya screams at Rishi (Bhasker Patel) when he dares to question whether there's a danger of her eating disorder returning.

Later, Priya confides in her partner Rakesh Kotecha about the situation, but was Rishi right or has he jumped to the wrong conclusions?

Priya feels under pressure when the family worry about her working too hard
    © ITV
    Priya's family worry about her

digitalspy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (28-10-2015)

her eating disorder being revisited

priya moves in with pete and leyla and gets intimately close to pete

Emmerdale's Priya Kotecha will be sticking around in the Dales for the foreseeable future and will no doubt be ready to cause more mischief as her affair storyline continues to unfold.

Actress Fiona Wade, who's played Priya since 2011, told the Daily Star Sunday that she's just signed a new contract that will see her stay in the ITV soaps for a while yet.

"Emmerdale is incredible right now and it's a really exciting time to be in the show," she said.

"I've just signed a new contract and couldn't be happier. I've been so lucky and can't believe it's been almost six years since I first arrived in the village.

"It's been fantastic."

Of course, Priya's continued presence on the soap probably won't prove to be such a wonderful thing for her best friend Leyla Harding, considering Priya is currently having an affair with Leyla's fiancé Pete Barton.

"I was quite surprised when they first told me about the storyline. And it has really divided opinion," Fiona added.

"Ultimately it's the worst thing a girl could do to her best friend and if Priya was my friend I'd be like 'What are you doing?'"

Thankfully, Fiona isn't having to face any such drama herself as she's happily playing the dating game.

"I'm single at the moment," she said. "I'm happy and I'm dating and I'm out there."

Of course Priya's love life is far more complicated now that her affair with Pete has been uncovered by Nell Fairfax.

And with an oblivious Leyla desperate to marry Pete, it's only a matter of time before the whole situation implodes in typical soap fashion.

With Priya now due to stick around, there's bound to be some long-term consequences for everyone involved...

Digital Spy

Thread Information