Thread: Priya Sharma (Fiona Wade)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Priya Sharma (Fiona Wade)

Emmerdale's Priya Sharma makes a life-changing decision this fortnight as she resolves to keep her unborn baby.

Priya is expecting David Metcalfe's child and vows to go ahead with the pregnancy despite her recent split from the shopkeeper.

Here, Fiona Wade - who plays Priya - reveals why her character wants to be a mum and how David will react when he finds out.

How is Priya feeling after everything that has happened recently?
    "The siege at The Woolpack was dramatic enough, but with David and Alicia now getting together, Priya's whole world has fallen apart around her. I think she's just devastated by everything."

How does she feel towards David and Alicia personally?
    "I think Priya's in a very confused, angry state - she's angry at both of them. She still loves David, and this is the problem, but she also has a love/angry/hate thing with him at the moment because she is just so hurt by everything he's done.

"I think Priya also feels that Alicia literally has stolen her guy. It was the day before the wedding when everything was meant to be perfect, and she's taken her man. So there's a lot of hurt and there's a lot of pain. There's a lot of love there for David still, but equally I think she's just angry and hurt towards them both."

What is the atmosphere like when Priya and Alicia have to work together at The Woolpack?
    "It's not easy, and I think Priya is literally agreeing to work with Alicia because they both need the job. But other than that, Priya isn't interested. Talking to her, it's very strained. Diane has very much made it clear that they have to get along, or the customers are going to suffer and there's going to be a bad atmosphere.

"It's very cold and Priya is calling the shots at work. She's got all the control back really, because she's lost everything. So where she can, Priya will keep the control."

What makes Priya decide not to go through with the termination?
    "I think it's a number of things. It's party because Priya is so confused and so hurt by everything. She's still in love with David, and I think in a way there's a part of him she can still keep in her life really. I actually think it's a control thing again.

"I'm not sure she's really ready for a baby, but I think she realises that this has happened and it actually has given a bit of her control back. She knows in a way now that she can pull the strings again, and also it's also a way of keeping her and David close."

Priya keeps quiet over her decision, so is she nervous when Alicia catches her being sick?
    "Yes I think she's very nervous, and also again because she wants to be in control of this. She doesn't really want to tell anyone about it until she's got it straight in her head, because it's a decision she's going to make. I think it's just an awful moment because Alicia is the last person in the world she wants to find out."

How does David react to the news that Priya might still be pregnant?
    "I think he's happy because he can't have children with Alicia - it's his one chance to have a child. I think he's probably confused because he knows that means him and Priya again - their life can't just go separate ways. You know they're going to be joined forever if they have this child. I think he really wants it, and I think he's very excited by that, so he definitely wants her to keep the baby."

Will David be torn, as he also needs to consider how Alicia will feel about that?
    "Very torn, yes, because he's in the middle again. It almost seems that he should be clear-cut - he's now with Alicia, and then Priya gets on with her life, but this baby could add another dimension."

Is Priya happy when David says that he wants the baby?
    "Yes, I think she is. When Priya can see that he really wants the child and he's kind of excited about it, I think she feels that maybe she can do something that Alicia can't. Even before, when Priya was going out with David, Alicia always gave David something that Priya couldn't because of Jacob.

"Now I think the tables have turned a bit and Priya realises that this is something he's going to really want. Because she's still in love with him, she's sort of holding on to that."

So Priya hopes this could bring them back together?
    "Yeah, I think so. I think Priya, deep down, has still got a very broken heart and she's confused by everything. But she's hopeful because this is David's child and no-one else has given him that. There's a big hope there with Priya that she might be able to have him back in that way because of the baby."

How does Priya feel about the fact that Alicia can't give David any children?
    "It's all about the upper hand and control, but Priya has never thrown that in Alicia's face before. I think definitely now it's something that she feels she can give him and Alicia can't, and so that makes her feel better."

What kind of response have you seen from viewers over the story?
    "It's quite funny because the day Alicia and David got together, I think Twitter went a little bit mad and everyone was just really happy. But this is a soap and there's always twists and turns in everything. This is definitely going to add another little twist and a new dimension to their relationship and Priya's relationship with David. People have also been very lovely about Priya - there's always Team Priya out there, so that's really nice."

Do you feel sorry for Priya?
    "I absolutely feel sorry for her. I'm a girl - we've all been through heartbreak and I don't think I'd wish that on anyone. Priya really loves David and she really wanted this marriage with him. He's also her best friend and she doesn't really have many other people. He's really been her rock.

"I think Priya literally has just lost everything and I really feel for her. I love her character and I think she's very vulnerable as well."

Would Priya make a good mum?
    "Yes and no. We saw the way Priya was with her little niece, Nikhil's daughter Molly. She can be very protective and she has that. She's also a good person. I don't know whether she's ready, though. I think she's still young and she doesn't quite know what she's letting herself in for. I think she'd be a good mum, but I don't think she'll find it easy."

David loses his temper with Priya.
    © ITV
    Priya and David

What did you think when you first heard that Priya would end up pregnant?
    "I knew obviously what was going to happen with the David, Alicia, Priya thing. I just thought it was a wonderful twist and a lovely story thread for my character. The writers are so brilliant at that. One sort of story happens and then they've just brought in something else that's added a whole other layer to what was already there.

"So it's just been wonderful and it's great to play a different side of Priya. For the last year and a half I've played so many different facets of this character and I feel really thankful for that. It's great because I'm challenged, and this will be a whole new thing, whatever happens. I'm really looking forward to it."

How does Priya deal with all of the Jai and Rishi dramas next week?
    "When Rishi suffers his heart attack, the thought that she might lose her dad is just the worst thing Priya can ever imagine. After losing David, it's just too much. Her hormones are all over the place, so it's really a tough time for Priya. She's very scared, very lonely and very vulnerable."

Does Priya feel upset when the truth comes out about baby Archie?
    "She's very upset with Jai. She just feels that all of the responsibility is on him, and at that point her dad has had a heart attack, so she doesn't blame him at all. Also, when Priya found out before that Rishi was supposedly Archie's father, she really went to town on her dad. Her and Nikhil really hated him and were so angry with him. She's obviously guilty for all of that, and she really blames Jai."

How do you feel about Emmerdale being named 'Best Soap' at the Inside Soap Awards last month?
    "It's just such a wonderful thing. We're so happy and so proud. To finally get that recognition that I think the show really deserves, it was just the best feeling. I'm so, so proud of this show and being in it. It's just a wonderful place to work.

"We're loving it at the moment. The show's in a fantastic place and we're all manically busy. There's such great stories coming out. It's just been a fantastic year for the show, and it just couldn't have happened at a better time."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

britgirl (12-11-2013), maidmarian (12-11-2013)

Thread Information