Page 4 of 337 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Ross Barton (Michael Parr)

Emmerdale airs a big moment for bad boy Ross Barton this week as he comes face-to-face with his mum Emma for the first time in years.

When Ross accompanies his brothers on a night out, he is surprised to be approached by Emma (Gillian Kearney), who is keen to have some contact with her sons following Finn's recent visit.

We recently caught up with Michael Parr, who plays Ross, to hear more about the new chapter in the Barton family's storyline and his reaction to being shortlisted for Best Newcomer at the National Television Awards.

How do you feel about Emma Barton finally being introduced?
    "It's so great to have a new member of the Barton family. It's always nice having somebody new in the show because it brings in a different energy. It's also been really good to have a woman this time, as the new Barton arrivals had all been boys before this. Gillian is a brilliant actress, so it's great to have somebody join who I actually look up to and admire as well."

Have you all been helping Gillian to settle in?
    "We have. I took Gillian up to the scheduling department on her first day and showed her around a bit. It's not like she isn't used to it as she has worked lots before, so it's just a case of showing her how things are done around Emmerdale. It's been a really nice dynamic because Gillian is just so lovely and I'm thrilled to bits to have her playing my mum."

Can you understand why Ross is hostile towards Emma?
    "I can understand it, because you just can't walk straight back into people's lives after all that time. Ross is a bit reserved about that because he's had 20-odd years of his mum not being around.

"There's also an underlying tension and a big history between James and Emma, which Ross is not fully aware of. There are lots of unanswered questions, so that's also giving Ross a bit of an attitude towards his mum."

© ITV
    Emma approaches her sons

What happens when Ross and Emma finally come face-to-face again this week?
    "Ross and Pete take Finn out for a few drinks because he's been a bit down recently. The boys all just happen to be in the same place as their mum, so that's how they all see each other again. It's a bit strange at first because Ross doesn't recognise his mother - it's been so long and he was so young when she left. So it's actually Emma who approaches him."

It's then Ross who tells Emma the truth about Moira and James after all these years! Does he do that spitefully?
    "No, it's not a spiteful move from him. Ross is not trying to hurt his mum but it just happens. There's so much history between them and there's so much information flying around. You know what Ross is like - he's not one to mince his words, so he tells it how it is!"

Will the viewers be surprised by the other Barton secrets that will be revealed in the next couple of weeks?
    "I think the viewers will be surprised, but it's going to make good TV. There's a dark history there and it's going to be very entertaining to watch."

Later this week, James hints that Emma will listen to Ross more than anyone else… Why is that?
    "It's because of the history between the family, but I can't give anything away! There's a bigger story between Ross and his mum than perhaps with the other brothers. Lots did go on when James and Emma were breaking up, and Ross might have played a bigger part than the others…"

Emmerdale's producer Kate Oates has previously said that Ross may need his mum more than he lets on. Do you hope they will form a bond?
    "I'd like them to, yes. I think Ross doesn't know how to handle women too well. He hasn't grown up with his mum and the love of his life has just passed away, so it's all new territory for him. I think it's going to be good for him to have Emma around."

Fans have also loved the Ross and April scenes recently. Have you enjoyed filming those scenes with Amelia Flanagan, and are there more to come?
    "I love working with Amelia. She's absolutely adorable and you always have fun when you're with her, just because she's so bright and she knows exactly what she's doing. Amelia also knows what everyone else should be doing and if you make a little mistake, she's on you! (Laughs.) She's got a bright future and I love working with her.

"I hope there are more Ross and April scenes to come. From what I've seen in scripts for the next few weeks I don't have anything with her, but I'd like to have more. It would be nice for April and Ross to carry on the bond that they've got."

Will Ross be getting up to no good in future storylines?
    "Ross isn't getting up to mischief at the moment, but it's his general attitude towards other people that is getting him into trouble. I hope that Ross stays as a darker character, though. I think you've seen enough of his light and softer side with the Donna story, so I'd like him to revert back to type."

Would you like Ross to get a new love interest?
    "It would be nice and I'm sure there will be a new girlfriend at some point, but if it was up to me I'd like to give it a bit more time. The work that me and Verity did and the relationship between Ross and Donna was quite a big thing, so I don't want to discredit that by having Ross jump into bed with the next girl that he claps his eyes on!"

How do you feel about being shortlisted for the Best Newcomer NTA?
    "I'm chuffed to bits. It's a great feeling to be nominated. I'm nervous too, and it's one of those things where the more I think about it, the more I would like to win.

"I'm not very good at self-promotion, though. Even my mum keeps saying 'You need to keep bigging yourself up!', but I think I'd be even more disappointed if I gave it loads of energy and still didn't win! I'm just grateful to be nominated and I'm trying to see that as a victory in itself."

It must also feel nice that you and Verity are the two individual nominees this year!
    "Yeah, that's great too. Verity deserves it so much, she really does. I remember one day I had to do a scene where I had to cry and it took a couple of takes. I realised then that Verity had been crying a couple of times a day for the past five months! It does take it out of you. Never mind everything else she did, that alone is worthy of the award I think!"

Have you got your suit prepared?
    "It's funny you should say that, as I've been getting a bit of advice from a few different pals about what I should wear and everyone is telling me different things! I want to stand out a little bit, but not too much.

"A while back there was an awards event where the invitation said 'black tie and party attire', but I clearly just looked into the party attire! I wore light trousers, a brown jacket and a white shirt, but everyone else was in a black tie and I think I stood out a little bit too much there!"

Why should fans be voting for Emmerdale as the top soap this year?
    "I just think it's been a great year and we've got another great year coming. We're all working so hard and we just really want the fans to enjoy the show."
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (12-01-2015), lizann (12-01-2015), maidmarian (12-01-2015), tammyy2j (12-01-2015)

Emmerdale producer Kate Oates has hinted that the spark between Debbie Dingle and Ross Barton could be revisited.

Debbie (Charley Webb) is currently in a relationship with Ross's older brother Pete, but Oates has teased that a new storyline may see her tempted by Ross once again.

Speaking in a new video released by Emmerdale, Oates said: "Ross will always be a thorn in his brother's side and Debbie does always like a bad boy.

"The question is: will it cause problems or can she actually remain focused and stay with the man who really would probably make her happiest?"

Viewers saw Debbie grow close to Ross last year, but she has since been focused on a more serious relationship with Pete.

Debbie comforts Ross
    © ITV
    Debbie and Ross in Emmerdale

Oates said: "I am really excited about Debbie's relationship with Pete and it has definitely grounded her. We've seen her make sacrifices for him that she'd never make for anyone else, for example, when she was going to put Charity in prison to save him.

"It represents a lot that's been missing from her life – proper stability, someone she can trust and someone who can be a father to her kids. But Ross is always on the sidelines."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (29-01-2015)

Emmerdale star Michael Parr has spoken about Ross Barton's feelings for Debbie Dingle, admitting that the bad boy wants a commitment from his brother's girlfriend.

Debbie (Charley Webb) is currently in a relationship with Pete Barton, but is left with food for thought next week when she and Ross find themselves holed up in a hotel room together as part of a dodgy job.

Ross makes the most of his time alone with Debbie by revealing the extent of his feelings for her, but his actions backfire as she feels that he is coming on too strong.

Speaking of the scenes to come, Parr explained: "Ross talks to Debbie about Donna when they're in the hotel room. He has a bit of a heart-to-heart with her. It's always been Debbie that's made Ross talk about his feelings.

"Ross was always a bit of a loose cannon and now he thinks he's got nothing to lose. Losing Donna just confirmed it, so now he is just wild and reckless. I think that's what Ross sees in Debbie. He sees her as a commitment. If she commits to him, then he will think he's got something worth living for, but until that happens he won't.

"Ross is also attracted to excitement and Debbie is exciting. She's not offering it to him on a plate - he's got to work his backside off! If Donna didn't have the cancer and she wasn't doing her dodgy jobs, he'd have just thought she was boring old Donna. It was the spark and the situation that they were in. Now Ross and Debbie find themselves in a situation, so it's just amplified between them."
    Debbie tries her best to forget about Ross by proposing to Pete at the end of next week, but Ross is adamant that she is making the wrong decision.

Parr added: "Ross knows it's wrong to go after his brother's girlfriend, but he doesn't really care. He just wants the girl - he wants that more than anything! Ross needs a female figure in his life and he's looking for it in Debbie.

"When Debbie and Pete get engaged, Ross has it in his head that she wants him and she's just afraid because of her past experiences. He's hurt by it, but he thinks that Debbie is lying to herself. He's not too threatened by the engagement because he thinks that one day she'll come good. But he wants it now - he wants it immediately.

"I think it's similar to Cain and Charity. Everybody knows that couple who are together one weekend and then the next weekend they've split up. That's how I imagine it will pan out between Debbie and Ross, if it works out! The writers have written it so well for us. It's never straightforward, but that's the interesting dynamic."
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

KiwiElle (14-04-2015), lizann (14-04-2015), maidmarian (14-04-2015)

Emmerdale bad boy Ross Barton has more busy times ahead on screen next week as he carries out another dodgy job, makes a play for his brother's partner Debbie Dingle and also exposes one of Robert Sugden's dark secrets.

It's also been an eventful year in general for the roguish character and Michael Parr, who plays him, has now been rewarded with a longlist nomination for Best Actor at the British Soap Awards 2015.

Digital Spy recently caught up with Michael to hear his reaction to the nomination and some teasers on what's ahead for Ross.

Last year you were up for Best Newcomer at the Soap Awards and now you've moved up to the Best Actor category! How do you feel about being nominated?
    "It's a nice feeling - it feels like I've gone up a league! I'm just glad I'm not in the same category as Maddy Hill from EastEnders because I can't seem to beat her! (Laughs.)

"It's just very flattering to be nominated and hopefully it'll be a success for Emmerdale on the night, even if it's not me who wins it. Danny Miller and Kelvin Fletcher are also up for Best Actor so if one of us took it home, I'd be happy."

Do you think you have a decent chance of making it to the shortlist?
    "Who knows? I think we've all had a good year. My stuff was a lot earlier on, so I'm kind of hoping people haven't forgotten about what Ross and Donna went through. Kelvin has done great this year and so has Danny, so I'm just happy to be nominated, really."

A lot of the Emmerdale fans do feel that the show is overlooked at award ceremonies, so do you think that might change this year?
    "I think we're only in with a good chance if the fans who think we're overlooked do vote for us. We do have a lot of fans who kindly vote for us, and the show's ratings are strong too, but somehow we're not getting the most votes. I'm not quite sure why as I think we really deserve it. We're not in it for the awards, but it is nice to take something home and get a little bit of industry recognition."

As you've been up for Sexiest Male yourself in the past, what do you think of the decision to scrap the sexiest categories?
    "I wasn't a massive fan of the award anyway, but I think now that Danny Mac has left Hollyoaks and Keegs has left Corrie, everybody else was thinking, 'Maybe I'm in with a shot here!' (Laughs.)

"When I went to awards ceremonies last year, I was nominated a few times for Best Bad Boy, Best Newcomer and Best Storyline. I think if I'd won Sexiest Male it would have been a bit of a kick in the teeth, because I didn't go to drama school just to be judged on my looks."

Are you pleased with how Ross's character has developed since Donna's death?
    "Definitely, it's been great. I thought things would die down after Donna's exit, but some of the stuff after that has been really good too. After he lost Donna, Ross came back all guns blazing and was a lot more ruthless and reckless. It was a lot of fun to have him stealing cars again.

"The writers must like me, because they always seem to give me cool lines. Whenever I'm doing scenes with Finn and Pete, I always seem to get the cheekier, ruder lines. I get to chase the girls a lot as well, which suits me!"

Emma's arrival has brought a whole new dynamic to the Bartons, so have you enjoyed exploring that too?
    "It's been absolutely great, even just the dynamic of having another female on set. We're quite a boy-heavy family, so it's been great to work with Gillian Kearney. She's such a professional and she's very thorough with her work. She really knows what she's doing - she's so good.

"It's also changed the dynamics of the family because Ross isn't the crazy one anymore! I think people also sympathise with Ross now, as they can maybe see why he is the way he is. It's been good to bring Emma into the show as it's given the family a big backstory and I think people understand Ross's history a lot more."

The family don't seem to have fully realised that Emma has a darker side. Do you think they need to watch out?
    "I think Pete already has his suspicions, but as the story plays out, we'll slowly start to see that she isn't the full shilling..."

While arguing with Emma at the pub next week, Debbie exposes how she tried to kill Ross when he was a baby. How does Ross feel about that?
    "Ross is just heartbroken that it's Debbie who has let the cat out of the bag. Out of everybody in the village, he really thought he could trust Debbie. He's a little bit gutted when he finds out that everybody knows because of her."

Ross does later make a play for Debbie, so would you like to see them together properly?
    "I think it's more interesting seeing them as a forbidden thing. There are definitely elements of Cain and Charity in their relationship as well, as they're not meant to be together but they can't seem to stay away from each other. I think me and Charley Webb have a good dynamic on screen, so I'll be happy whichever way the writers want to take it."

Does Ross stop chasing Debbie once she gets engaged to Pete next week?
    "Something like that's not going to put Ross off! You can look at it two ways - Ross is either out to get his brother or he's out to get the girl. You can decide which one you want to believe, but he's definitely not going to let something like a ring get in his way."

Are you expecting another on-screen fight with Anthony Quinlan (Pete) as the storyline develops?
    "Well it's Ross - I'm always expecting a fight! I think I spend more time in that make-up chair getting bruises put on me than I do on set sometimes! You can definitely expect fireworks between the two brothers."

Next week also sees Ross tell Chrissie that Robert was behind last year's Home Farm raid. Why does he decide to spill the beans now?
    "Next week there's a heist situation where Ross and Debbie end up at a hotel together. Ross is doing that because Chrissie is having problems with her ex-husband Donny and there's a lot of money involved, so she gets Ross on board to help her.

"Chrissie is paying Ross to do the job, but she doesn't quite come up with the cash that Ross wants in the end. Because he's got this information, he retaliates by letting the cat out of the bag to Chrissie - and it causes a lot of problems for her."

Would you like Ross to find out Robert's other secrets? He's still hiding quite a few!
    "I'd like him to, yeah. Ross always wants trouble with somebody and the more he knows, the more he can hold it over people. Knowledge is power, so the more secrets Ross knows, the more he can be a little bugger!"

Next week sounds like a busy week for Ross, but is it going to be a big few months ahead for him in general?
    "From what I've heard, it sounds like it's going to be a busy few months for the whole cast, not just me. Everyone has been dragged in and all holidays have been cancelled. I'm looking forward to it!"

We've heard teasers of a huge summer storyline...
    "Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it but I don't quite know exactly how it's going to pan out yet. I only find out things about three or four weeks before we start filming. We're just a little bit outside that at the moment, so I'm not quite sure on the exact details yet."

In the past you warned that viewers might turn against Ross because of his dodgy actions after Donna's death, but many fans seem to have stayed on his side! How do you feel about that?
    "It's very flattering that I can't seem to do any wrong at the moment - it's nice that I've got the audience on side. I don't know what I'd have to do to push them away again. It would have to be something really horrible, and I don't think I want to do something that bad! We'll just have to wait and see where the writers take it."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KiwiElle For This Useful Post:

lizann (16-04-2015), maidmarian (16-04-2015)

Ross Barton gets some unwelcome surprises next week as he attends his brother Pete's engagement party.

Ross is bemused to find that Pete's fiancée Debbie Dingle (Charley Webb) is trying to set him up with Carly Hope at the celebration, hoping that it's the best way to forget about her own feelings for Ross.

To make matters worse, Ross is soon rocked further when the man who he and Debbie recently conned arrives in the village looking for revenge...

Here, Michael Parr - who plays Ross - reveals the gossip on another eventful week for his character.

How has Ross been feeling since the recent dodgy job with Debbie?
    "It's put a few things into perspective for Ross. He's spent a lot of time with Debbie recently and they've been in close quarters together. It was exciting for him and Debbie is a very attractive girl.

"There were feelings there beforehand anyway. When Ross first moved to the village, Debbie was the first girl that he met and all of that has come back into play. They have kissed in the past and there is a history, there is chemistry there."

How is he feeling about the fact that Debbie is now engaged to Pete?
    "Ross is off licking his wounds at the moment, but something as small as a ring is not going to stop him. He's not going to stop chasing the one that he wants just because she's got engaged to his brother. Ross and Pete have a horrible relationship anyway!

"There is a future between Ross and Debbie, but as for how that happens and when that happens, we'll just have to wait and see."

Could Ross ever love Debbie in the same way he did Donna?
    "Ross was absolutely head over heels for Donna. I think with Debbie, it would be a completely different kind of love and the relationship wouldn't be as smooth. Had Donna not been in the situation she was in, I think they would have had a really nice relationship, whereas if Ross and Debbie ever did get together, they'd be arguing and probably smacking each other all the time because they're such fiery characters. It'd be very different, but there would be a lot of love between them both."

Why does Debbie make a point of inviting Carly to her engagement party next week?
    "Debbie is trying to put Carly in between her and Ross. She's clutching at straws, because she knows that Ross is in pursuit and she can't seem to shake him. Debbie can see that Carly is a strong character and if she plays matchmaker between her and Ross, maybe it will work out and then Debbie can go and live this nice happy life that she wants to live."

Is Ross attracted to Carly?
    "He is attracted to her, but she's not the one that he wants. Carly is a little bit too easy and a little bit too straight for Ross. Ross likes it a little bit more complicated! He enjoys the chase and Carly is giving it to him a little bit too much on a plate at the minute."

What goes through Ross's mind when Charlie appears at the engagement party?
    "It's a really big shock because Ross and Debbie think they've got away with the scam they pulled on him. Charlie is clearly a very dodgy character and he's hanging round with some big heavies so when he walks in, Ross's heart sinks. Everything he thought he was going to get away with is now going to come back to bite him.

"It's also not just Ross who could be brought down by this. Ross wouldn't care if he thought it was just him, but it's also Debbie that's in trouble now."

How does Ross react to Charlie's arrival?
    "Ross follows him out of the pub, because he doesn't realise that Charlie has his henchman there. He just thinks he can follow Charlie and sort it out. Ross has got a smooth way with words, he's confident and also a little bit handy, while this Charlie bloke is a little bit older, so Ross thinks that he can sort it outside away from everybody else. Cain picks up on what's happening as he watches on - he doesn't miss a trick!"

What happens when Ross realises that he's in danger?
    "It looks very bad. Somehow Ross does manage to get himself out of it, but does that put him in another scrape? It just opens another can of worms for Ross, as things seem to do!"

Are you filming some good stuff at the moment?
    "Well at the moment I'm covered with black eyes and a cut lip! As always I'm getting bashed up, so you can look forward to a lot more physical stuff for Ross..."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

KiwiElle (05-05-2015)

Michael Parr has insisted that it would be "boring" if Debbie Dingle stayed happy with his on-screen brother Pete Barton.

The actor's character Ross Barton will soon be tempting Debbie away from Pete, as the ongoing love triangle involving the three characters grows ever more complicated.

Fans can expect the plot to play out on screen for a while, building up to an eventful wedding day for Pete and Debbie in the summer.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

KiwiElle (23-05-2015), lizann (22-05-2015), maidmarian (22-05-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    Michael Parr has insisted that it would be "boring" if Debbie Dingle stayed happy with his on-screen brother Pete Barton.

The actor's character Ross Barton will soon be tempting Debbie away from Pete, as the ongoing love triangle involving the three characters grows ever more complicated.

Fans can expect the plot to play out on screen for a while, building up to an eventful wedding day for Pete and Debbie in the summer.
    The writers are clearly making michael parr character ross the new leading man on the show. Parr has the looks, masculinity, and the charisma to be the leading man Ross is the new cain and Debbie is the new charity.

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post

The writers are clearly making michael parr character ross the new leading man on the show. Parr has the looks, masculinity, and the charisma to be the leading man Ross is the new cain and Debbie is the new charity.

do yous think he is charity baby daddy by his reaction when debbie said her mum just had a kid

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    do yous think he is charity baby daddy by his reaction when debbie said her mum just had a kid
    Possibly -tho my first choice is Declan.
    If it is Ross - will add another dimension
    to his relationship with Debbie as she is
    babys guardian and half-sister!

Thread Information