Page 3 of 337 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Ross Barton (Michael Parr)

Ross Barton is left in turmoil next week after the tragic death of his secret lover Donna Windsor.

The village's bad boy is full of anger over the way Donna died, and ends up on the warpath as he tries to get revenge on Aaron Livesy (Danny Miller) for ruining their final dodgy job.

Here, Michael Parr - who plays Ross - reveals how his character will cope with Donna's tragic fate.

How does Ross feel after he loses Donna?
    "Ross is all over the place. It's probably the worst thing that's ever happened to him and he starts to lose control. He gets very emotional, very unstable and he points the finger by blaming other people.

"Ross won't take any responsibility for Donna's death, so he's a bit of a loose cannon and that makes Debbie concerned for him. She's worried that he's going to go and open his mouth and let the cat out of the bag by revealing that Donna was a dodgy cop."

Does Ross blame himself for anything that happened?
    "Ross never blames himself. It's perhaps one of the only situations in Ross's life where he isn't to blame for causing a mess. It was Donna's idea to rob Gary North's house, so it's her mistake which has had all of these repercussions. He doesn't blame himself even though he was heavily involved. That's why he goes after Aaron instead!"

How will Ross cope without Donna?
    "Ross will survive, as he'll get on with it and he gets by. You can't keep him down for too long, but he is heartbroken as he misses Donna. He's only ever loved two people in his life - his little brother and unfortunately now, Dead Donna!"
    How does Ross react when he finds out that Donna was ill and didn't tell him?
    "For Ross, it completely changes all of their history. What Ross thought their whole relationship was based around just becomes a complete lie, so he feels used, heartbroken, betrayed and really angry."

Could they ever have made things work in different circumstances?
    "I like to think that Ross would have made a go of things with Donna. He'd fallen in love with her and he even says that he was willing to take on the responsibility of being a dad to April, which is a huge commitment.

"However, it's Ross and you just don't know! He always pushes people away whenever he falls out with them. I don't know how it would have panned out!"

Does Debbie support Ross after Donna's death?
    "Debbie is an absolute diamond, really. Considering that Ross has done a few nasty things to her and has teased her in the past, she becomes a very good friend and she is the only one who really helps him.

"James does come round and tries to comfort Ross but he can't help but prod him at the same time, so that gets a big reaction out of Ross. Debbie is the only one that he can turn to."

Ross ends up giving April the money that Donna had left for her. How does that go?
    "At first Ross finds it very difficult, because when he looks at April, all he sees is Donna because they look so alike. It's hard for him to see her, but it was Donna's last wish for April to get this money. Ross hands it over but Marlon doesn't know where the money has come from, because Ross can't explain how they got it. Marlon ends up burning it because he feels it's dirty money!"

What is Ross's biggest fear when the time comes to tell Marlon about his relationship with Donna?
    "Just that he won't be believed. Ross was so paranoid that Donna thought she was too good for him, so he's worried that people will think that and say that he was lying or wasn't worthy."

How does Marlon react to finding out the truth about Ross and Donna?
    "That breaks Marlon as well, because I think he was starting to feel a few things towards Donna that he perhaps shouldn't have, because he is getting married to Laurel. Marlon hates Ross more than anybody else in the village because of what he did to Laurel, so it's a big kick in the teeth for him.

"It's also another secret and Marlon is getting frustrated because nobody is ever going to really get to the truth of what Donna was thinking. Donna was the only one who had all of the answers and now she's gone."

What can you tell us about Ross's attitude towards Aaron?
    "Ross decides that he's going to take immediate action with his fists and he's going to go after him. He wants revenge against Aaron and he's pointing the finger at him. Aaron isn't really to blame at all, but that's just the way Ross's mind is working. He sees red and can't see past this mist. There's going to be quite a few to-dos over the next few weeks!"

What is Ross capable of at this point?
    "Anything at the minute! He just wants justice and not just somebody getting arrested. Ross sees it more along the lines of 'an eye for an eye'. He wants immediate revenge by making Aaron hurt the way he is hurting himself - even if that's hurting him emotionally rather than physically."

There's one particular row in The Woolpack, isn't there?
    "Yes, Ross finds out that Aaron is in the village and knows where to find him. It's like a red rag to a bull and he goes round there immediately. They have a few words before all hell breaks loose and they're swinging at each other!"

How threatening is Cain when he visits Ross later?
    "Ross isn't afraid of Cain, but he does respect him because he's gone down the same road in the past. Cain does try threatening him, but because Ross is in such a state, it doesn't really work.

"Then Cain tries connecting with him on a much more personal level and tells him about his past experiences when he was dating a police officer. It's like a mirror image. It kind of gets through but not completely."

Does Ross care about what happens next, or is he on a road to self-destruction?
    "Ross is always on a road to self-destruction! He's his own worst enemy and he's completely out of control at the moment. He needs someone there to help guide him, but that's why Debbie comes round to help him. She knows he's in self-destruct mode."

How does Ross feel when April goes missing towards the end of next week?
    "It's a real weird one for him because seeing April just hurts him more and more, but he respects the fact that she was the thing that Donna held most precious to her. He wants her to get home and be safe, so it weighs heavy on his mind that she's gone missing."

How was it to film your final scenes with Verity Rushworth?
    "It was bittersweet. I've enjoyed working with Verity so much and we got on so well. I'm just so grateful that I got to work with her. I'm gutted that she's gone, but I'm sure that she'll go off and do amazing things.

"There was one scene where I had to be crying and we did so many takes that I was starting to dry up. I had to think about something else and just thinking that I might not see Verity again for a long time had me going again, so I was like, 'Roll the cameras, roll the cameras!'"

What was the best thing about working with her?
    "Just how easy it was to get along with her. Verity is never in a bad mood and she's never tired, so she always gives everything to the scene. One minute we could be screaming at each other in a scene, but the next, they'd yell cut and we'd burst into song and start dancing around the set, so I'll miss the silly moments like that."

Do you think fans have been rooting for them?
    "From what I've seen on my Twitter, people have nicknamed us Ronna and everyone seems to love it. I don't see what people say about other soap couples, but the feedback I've got is that people seem to really like them."

What do you want to happen to Ross next?
    "Over the course of the last six or seven weeks, you've seen Ross soften much more since the attack on Finn. It would make sense now for him to revert back to type and go back to his old ways by being the bad boy that everyone wants him to be!"

Would you like him to have a new romance?
    "I think inevitably he will, but I don't want to take anything away from what he had with Donna by jumping into something straight away!"

How do people react when they see you out and about?
    "I get recognised for my hair! If I have a hat on or if my hair is messed up, nobody seems to spot me!

"But it's always positive - I've never had people say anything bad. People just seem to love the character of Ross and the fact that he's so cheeky and rude to people. Some people wish they could do that in real life and get away with it and they can't, but Ross does!"

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s1...#ixzz3A85oSRkL

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

lizann (12-08-2014), mariba (15-08-2014), suzewebb (12-08-2014)

Last edited by tammyy2j; 12-08-2014 at 01:36.

Ross Barton will be left devastated next week when he finds out about Donna Windsor's secret kiss with Marlon Dingle.

Ross makes the discovery when he overhears Paddy Kirk telling his wife Rhona about how close the pair became in the build-up to Donna's tragic death.

While viewers know that Donna and Marlon's kiss was nothing more than a moment of pure emotion and grief, Ross reacts badly to the revelation - seeing it as yet another betrayal from Donna.

Paddy is later shellshocked when Ross tells him that he knows about the kiss and he might be tempted to reveal the truth to Marlon's fiancée Laurel Thomas.

Michael Parr, who plays Ross, explained: "He finds out about how close Donna and Marlon got, so that messes with his head. It's going to send him off the rails.

"You're going to see Ross's darker side and his need and want to hurt people when he's down and out. It gets quite dark for him."

Full of conflicted emotions, Ross later makes a surprising move of his own as he makes a pass at Debbie Dingle in the aftermath of Donna's funeral.

Still angry that Donna didn't tell him she had cancer, Ross breaks down in an emotional heart-to-heart with Debbie (Charley Webb) - before getting caught up in the moment and kissing her.

Ross urges Debbie to say that she loves him, but viewers will have to wait and see whether she stays loyal to her current boyfriend - Ross's older brother Pete.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

lizann (22-08-2014), maidmarian (19-08-2014)

he has signed a new contract to stay longer so us ladies can continue to swoon over him

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

suzewebb (23-08-2014), tammyy2j (26-08-2014)

We still haven't found out everything about him from the time he was separated from his family, hopefully that'll be explored and it will be interesting. Looking forward to Emma coming into it too, Ross has clearly missed the love and influence of a woman figure in his life since she left, i imagine he'll be bitter towards her or just ignore her completely. I hope he does get the chance to find love again after coming to terms with Donna

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kennedyfan86 For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (26-08-2014)

I really like him.. looking forward to finding out more about him when the new character arrives. I thought he was great during the Donna episodes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Katy For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (26-08-2014)

He is suppose to be leaving on screen for a month or two soon to get over Donna etc., and I think he returns then with the mother

Emmerdale's Ross Barton returns to the village next week but devastates his brother Finn when he announces that he doesn't intend to stay.

Still struggling in the wake of Donna's death, Ross (Michael Parr) soon becomes emotional at the mention of her.

Ross then breaks the news to Finn (Joe Gill) that he doesn't think he can stay there very long due to everything that has happened, leaving Finn crushed.

Concerned and wanting to be supportive, Finn tells Ross he has paid his rent for the next month.

Touched by his brother's concern, Ross agrees to stay until he has paid him back, but can he be persuaded to stay in the village for good?

Emmerdale airs these scenes next week on ITV.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

EstyChan (21-10-2014), lizann (21-10-2014), maidmarian (21-10-2014)

Emmerdale bad boy Ross Barton hasn't had much to celebrate this year, but in real life, the character's popularity has earned actor Michael Parr a nomination at the National Television Awards 2015.

Michael has secured a place on the longlist for the Best Newcomer category but is now relying on public votes to take him through to the final shortlist.

Digital Spy recently caught up with Michael for an exclusive chat about his nomination, his acting career to date and some snippets on what to expect from Ross's upcoming return to the village…

How does it feel to be in the running for a National Television Award?
    "It's really flattering. It makes me a little bit nervous because it would be great to win, but I'm just really grateful to have been put forward for it. There are other people out there who are doing a great job as well, so I feel like I'm in a category of good actors and I'm quite proud of myself, really! If I made the shortlist I'd be over the moon, but it really is just nice to be nominated."

When did you first hear the news? Did you find out before the official announcement?
    "No, I found out by people saying congratulations on Twitter - that's usually how I find out about most things these days!"

Have you thought much about your chances of winning?
    "I haven't thought about it too much, but I know Maddy Hill from EastEnders is also up for it and she won the prize at the British Soap Awards. The NTAs are a huge event and very glamorous, so if I did win and had to make a speech, I'm sure I'd be very nervous. The awards are held at the O2 and they do pack it out. It must be like you're playing Wembley if you have to get up and make a speech!"

How did you feel about getting your first award with the Best Newcomer prize at the Inside Soap Awards earlier this month?
    "That was nice - it was nice to win something finally! I've been nominated quite a lot since I joined the show but hadn't actually won anything, so it was great to finally take home an award. I think I was the most-nominated person in the room, so it can be a bit embarrassing when your name keeps getting mentioned but you don't actually win anything!"

When you joined Emmerdale, did you ever expect Ross to make the impact that he has done?
    "I knew the character had the potential to come in, make a big impact and affect a lot of the characters in the show. I didn't expect to get the big love storyline that I got with Donna, though, and I didn't realise how much of an impact he would make with that. Just from my Twitter responses, people seem to have taken a big shine to Ross. I think people just love to hate him because he's a bad lad but he's got a heart as well."

Did that turnaround in opinion surprise you?
    "I knew when I heard about the Donna storyline and those scripts started coming out that it would change people's opinions of Ross, but I also quite like it when people give me abuse about him and people hate him! As long as I'm getting a reaction out of people, I know I'm doing my job right. Whether people are saying they love Ross or hate him, it's great to get a response."

Which of your scenes are you most proud of?
    "The scene that stands out to me is one that we filmed for the aftermath of Donna's death. Ross was back in the house on his own and he had to cry. That's always quite a challenging thing - when the crew shout 'action' and you have to turn those emotions on straight away, but from the hard work that me and Verity Rushworth had put into the build-up, it came really naturally. I knew we had worked really hard just by how emotional we felt when we were filming it."

Ross has been off screen for a while, so have you heard from many fans who are missing him?
    "I get quite a lot of tweets every day asking when Ross is coming back and I've not been allowed to say much about it. I did slip up once and write something on Twitter, but I had to delete it very quickly!"

Was your break storyline-led or did you want the time off?
    "I never want time off, really - I absolutely love coming to work! It just so happened that the storyline was coming to an end and I had two weeks' holidays left. I'd also been set to go to Glastonbury, but I couldn't go as it was when we were filming Donna's death and they really needed me to be around. They owed me a week for that too, so with the three weeks I was away, two of my friends were travelling around South America and I just went to join those guys."

We can say you are coming back, so does Ross have some good material coming up?
    "I have been back filming and I've already had lots of stuff to sink my teeth into. You can expect an explosive return and you might see the return of the old Ross, not the one that you last saw…"

Do you want to see Ross go back to his old ways?
    "I think you've got to earn people's affections, really, so it's nice to push people away, bring them back in and then push them away again. I like to turn people's opinions around, so when I left the show some people were saying that they loved Ross and thought he was great, but now I think people are going to be quite abusive towards me again!"

What kind of work were you doing before Emmerdale?
    "I did my first play when I was about 10. I did a lot of musicals up until the age of about 16, and I did a lot of operas when I was a kid as well. I had a very high-pitched, squeaky voice - I'm sure there's videos kicking about somewhere that I hope are never found!

"I went to college in Birmingham and did a BTEC. That was quite hands-on so we did lots of plays there - lots of Shakespeare and Jacobean plays. Then I went off to drama school and afterwards I got quite a lot of work on the fringe circuit, but never cracked the West End or bigger theatres, which is something I'd still like to do whenever this job comes to an end.

"I also did a few different TV shows but always playing bad guys. I don't know what it is about me that's giving off that bad guy vibe!"

How have your friends and family reacted to your Emmerdale fame?
    "To those guys I'm not famous at all - I don't feel famous and even if I did ever get above my station, they'd bring me down a peg or two!

"They've all been over the moon as they've seen the hard work that I've put in. I've done lots of other jobs in between acting too - I've worked in factories, I was a teacher, and I did fitness training. I've pretty much done every job I can to get to where I am right now. I'm just grateful that I can now wake up and not have to do a job that I don't really want to be doing."

Did you have other passions just in case acting didn't work out?
    "Yeah but I think I missed out. I did kickboxing and Muay-Thai for a long time, so I would really like to own a gym and I think I would get a lot out of coaching people and watching their progression.

"That's something I would have maybe liked to have done if I'd started a little bit younger - I'm way past it now for a kickboxing career! At 28 those careers don't last for very long!"
    Last edited by Perdita; 23-10-2014 at 05:32.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (23-10-2014), maidmarian (23-10-2014)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to kennedyfan86 For This Useful Post:

KiwiElle (18-11-2014)

Thread Information