Page 103 of 337 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 3368

Thread: Ross Barton (Michael Parr)

Quote Originally Posted by sarah c View Post
    this is true - Ross has always 'winged it' a bit in life - doing what he needs to do to get by whether good or bad
    The reason I like him is because of his humour, people hate him one minute then he will drop a line and people will love him. A loveable villain is hard to come by and Emmerdale have a few.

Quote Originally Posted by alcapo11 View Post
    Alot of people love Ross though, and Ross obviously survives New Years day if hes in the spoilers.
    Yes, Ross survives New Year's Day but his life's a mess.

Your statement "Alot of people love Ross though" isn't easy to put a number on. For example, there only seem to be about 4 Ross fans who post on this soapboards forum. I am one of the ex-Ross fans who post on this soapboards forum.

The recent awards obtained by the actor don't give any clear numbers either. I'll quickly say something about the recent DS Reader Awards as an example.

The DS Reader Awards are more-or-less fun awards from a public popularity poll. These are soapland awards, not the Oscars. The votes for the Oscars come from established actors and are strictly controlled so there is one vote only per voter, and in the Oscars "Best Actor" really is meant to mean "Best Acting" (but even actors have different views about what is good acting and bad acting!) . The DS Reader Awards (and the Inside Soap Awards, etc) get votes from the UK general public, so just about anything seems to go and "Best Actor" award is not the same as a "Best Acting" award. Sometimes the person who wins can't really act for toffee but seems to just appeal to fans after make-up and a hairdo. So it looks like, yet again in 2015, the public voted for the "exciting bad boy" for who plays Ross Barton. Of course, the awards results don't say how many votes were made in total, so were there a total of 1000 votes, 10,000 votes, 20,000 votes, more? We only know the % split between nominations. Mike Parr got 17% for "Best Actor" (=for his hairdo?), so did he get 170 votes, 1,700 votes, 3,400 votes, more? We don't know. And Adam Woodyatt was a near second at 16% of the vote. We also don't know if anyone voted more than once for any category like "Best Actor". As far I know, multiple votes can be made by any voter who is bothered to make them (as fans are more likely to). There are other problems too with the voting for these fun awards so we'll never really be able to be sure how popular any of the nominations were for the regular 5million+ TV viewers for each episode of Emmerdale/Corrie/EastEnders, as we don't even know how many viewers voted once and only once. In any case, winning the "Best Actor" award in the DS Reader Awards does not mean "Best Acting" award, maybe more like "Most Popular Actor" award for the people who bothered to vote would be a more accurate title.

To sum up, if it's a soapland award, then it isn't an Oscar, so the phrase "Must try harder" comes to mind.

Your Soap Winners of 2015...victors in the Digital Spy Reader Awards 2015.
    By Daniel Kilkelly, Digital Spy
    25 December 2015
    http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emme...ssroom-clinch/
    Last edited by Telly Watcher; 29-12-2015 at 15:01.

the only slightly non-reality bit will be how after months is there any evidence in Debbie's house to link Ross to the shooting of Robert?

Ross visited Debbie's house around that time briefly but wasn't living there, either Debbie never cleans up, or Ross has just left the gun etc lying on the coffee table
    If they find Ross' passport and discover that Ross left the country on the night of the shooting surely that would raise some alarm bells?
    Last edited by JessicaMad; 29-12-2015 at 15:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Telly Watcher View Post
    Yes, Ross survives New Year's Day but his life's a mess.

Your statement \\"Alot of people love Ross though\\" isn't easy to put a number on. For example, there only seem to be about 4 Ross fans who post on this soapboards forum. I am one of the ex-Ross fans who post on this soapboards forum.

The recent awards obtained by the actor don't give any clear numbers either. I'll quickly say something about the recent DS Reader Awards as an example.

The DS Reader Awards are more-or-less fun awards from a public popularity poll. These are soapland awards, not the Oscars. The votes for the Oscars come from established actors and are strictly controlled so there is one vote only per voter, and in the Oscars \\"Best Actor\\" really is meant to mean \\"Best Acting\\" (but even actors have different views about what is good acting and bad acting!) . The DS Reader Awards (and the Inside Soap Awards, etc) get votes from the UK general public, so just about anything seems to go and \\"Best Actor\\" award is not the same as a \\"Best Acting\\" award. Sometimes the person who wins can't really act for toffee but seems to just appeal to fans after make-up and a hairdo. So it looks like, yet again in 2015, the public voted for the \\"exciting bad boy\\" for who plays Ross Barton. Of course, the awards results don't say how many votes were made in total, so were there a total of 1000 votes, 10,000 votes, 20,000 votes, more? We only know the % split between nominations. Mike Parr got 17% for \\"Best Actor\\" (=for his hairdo?), so did he get 170 votes, 1,700 votes, 3,400 votes, more? We don't know. And Adam Woodyatt was a near second at 16% of the vote. We also don't know if anyone voted more than once for any category like \\"Best Actor\\". As far I know, multiple votes can be made by any voter who is bothered to make them (as fans are more likely to). There are other problems too with the voting for these fun awards so we'll never really be able to be sure how popular any of the nominations were for the regular 5million+ TV viewers for each episode of Emmerdale/Corrie/EastEnders, as we don't even know how many viewers voted once and only once. In any case, winning the \\"Best Actor\\" award in the DS Reader Awards does not mean \\"Best Acting\\" award, maybe more like \\"Most Popular Actor\\" award would be a more accurate title.

To sum up, if it's a soapland award, then it isn't an Oscar, so the phrase \\"Must try harder\\" comes to mind.

Your Soap Winners of 2015...victors in the Digital Spy Reader Awards 2015.
    By Daniel Kilkelly, Digital Spy
    25 December 2015
    http://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/emme...ssroom-clinch/
    He still gets the most votes, and it isnt based on looks for many people its the fact Michael Parr is a good actor. Also of course its not an oscar as Emmerdale is not a film, you dont like Ross yes but you cant deny he doesn't have alot of fans. The only people that dont seem to like Ross are Robron fans from what I see on twitter and facebook and that was only after the shooting.
    Last edited by alcapo11; 29-12-2015 at 15:06.

Anyway forget popularity and awards, Ross has always been hated by those in the village but he doesn't seem to care. The only thing that will change is that people will have a reason to hate him. Aslong as Ross has Finn and his mum he wont care, he has even bonded with Moses but loosing Debbie will probably halt there relationship.

He still gets the most votes, and it isnt based on looks for many people its the fact Michael Parr is a good actor. Also of course its not an oscar as Emmerdale is not a film, you dont like Ross yes but you cant deny he doesn't have alot of fans. The only people that dont seem to like Ross are Robron fans from what I see on twitter and facebook and that was only after the shooting.
    Some of what you write is about opinion, such as "it isnt based on looks for many people its the fact Michael Parr is a good actor". Everyone has an opinion but it isn't always based on fact or even right. "for many people"=how many? "good actor"=in what way and based on what personal experience of acting?

As for getting the most votes, there just aren't any confident numbers around. For example, this soapboards forum gets read by thousands of readers but there are, with any luck, maybe 100 posters. We don't know what the "silent thousands" think on this forum but they are by far the big majority of readers here. The same goes for soapawards. An avid fan could vote 10, 20, more times for their fave. But still no-one knows what the "silent ones" (most likely in the majority) think because they didn't vote. The DS Reader Awards were also poorly publicised, I only found out about them about a week before voting closed and I read Digital Spy every day! (The new format spoils finding things though, that's one reason for me not knowing sooner).

The point I was making about an Oscar was that the voting system for this is very strict. Winning an Oscar has real value of achievement because other actors have voted once each for you. The soapawards are just for fun, as is the fun voting system. Yes, Mike Parr won this time, but we'll never really know why. Saying it was for good acting is just guessing, we just don't know what members of the public were thinking of when they voted. Social media answers from people who answer questions about Mike Parr are nearly always something like "ooo, he's fit" or "he's gawjus", whereas "he's a good actor" is very rarely mentioned. If you check out places like Emmerdale Facebook you'll see what I mean on this.

All we know is that Mike Parr won "Best Actor" award, as voted for by some members of the public. We don't know how many voted. I'm guessing most were fans of his and I reckon the majority of viewers were silent and didn't vote at all for anyone. To me, he won "Most Popular Actor" award in a fun public opinion popularity poll with a fun voting system and a fun outcome. It wasn't serious, it was just for fun, and in my opinion his appearance was a factor in his selection by at least some of the voters.

Anyway, enough about awards. Let's see what happens in the next episodes this week.

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaMad View Post
    If they find Ross' passport and discover that Ross left the country on the night of the shooting surely that would raise some alarm bells?
    That's one possibility.

I was thinking along the lines of the police search of Debbie's house revealing Ross has a pair of shoes/boots which have a distinctive tread which matches the partial footprint found in soil behind Pear Tree Cottage after Robert was shot on 25th September.

Just how this could be used to exactly time when it was left there is one question, although if it was a fresh print and a detailed soil sample/plaster cast was taken just after the shooting then this would help, especially if Ross didn't clean his boots/shoes after the shooting and some of the dried soil type is still on them?

We're maybe overthinking things again? More likely to be a simple explanation in the end, as usual!

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaMad View Post
    you honestly believe our border control is good enough to show exit movement???

you honestly believe our border control is good enough to show exit movement???
    Soaps like to bend reality.
    Last edited by JessicaMad; 29-12-2015 at 16:56.

I wonder if Ross proposes to Debbie before she leaves or whether she finds out before he has the chance. Im interested to see the way Ross is treated after every one finds out, he will probably be barred from the Wolpack, he will have no job. He does however go back to live with his family though by the sounds of the spoilers so at least it isn't Ross vs everyone.
    robert may not say he was shot by ross to protect andy so only debbie, pete and andy know

Thread Information