Page 1 of 337 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Ross Barton (Michael Parr)

Exclamation Ross Barton (Michael Parr)

Emmerdale has unveiled the first of its new Barton arrivals in a surprise storyline twist.

Ross Barton, played by actor Michael Parr, is a new regular character for the ITV soap and had a big role to play in tonight's double bill (October 24).

Cain's contact stumbles into the house injured.
    © ITV
    Ross Barton's scenes in Thursday's Emmerdale

Viewers saw Ross burst into Butler's Farm looking for Cain Dingle (Jeff Hordley), having been shot while carrying out a dodgy job that Cain had originally intended to take on himself.

Cain's partner Moira Barton (Natalie J Robb) failed to recognise the injured intruder, but later realised that he is her nephew.

In a further twist, Ross has already made previous appearances on Emmerdale as he was the carjacker who targeted Laurel Thomas in the summer, sending her over the edge.

With Ross staying at Butler's until he recovers, Cain is now feeling unsettled by his presence - knowing that he is trouble.

Speaking to Digital Spy today, Parr commented: "I am thrilled to be playing a regular character in Emmerdale. It was always the plan that Laurel's carjacker would be revealed as Moira's nephew - Ross Barton.

"It has been fun keeping his identity and my role a secret. Although I did nearly burst from wanting to tell people. Ross is a great character and there is lots to come for him in future episodes."

Will Marlon and Cain make it to Laurel in time?
    © ITV
    Laurel with carjacker Ross

Digital Spy has been aware of the Ross Barton twist for some time, but kept his arrival a secret to provide an element of surprise for viewers.

Friday's Emmerdale episode will feature the first appearance of former Coronation Street star Bill Ward as James Barton - Ross's father and the brother of Moira's late husband John.

James also has two other sons who will be joining the village.

In the meantime, next week's episodes will see Laurel freak out when she realises that the carjacker is staying at Butler's.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (26-10-2013), maidmarian (25-10-2013), tammyy2j (24-10-2013)

Wow good twist and nice it was kept a secret

Bring on the other sons. Need eye candy lol.

More boring bartons. moira/james will get on well as he will be as interesting as her john lol cant anyone be in a relationship without cheating if i was cain i would get out while he still can.

Emmerdale newcomer Ross Barton surprises everyone next week as he saves schoolgirl Gabby Thomas from being hit by an oncoming car.

Viewers know that Ross has caused nothing but trouble since his debut on the show - especially for Gabby's step mum Laurel - but has he really come good at last?

Here, Michael Parr - who plays Ross - reveals more about the storyline and his character's motivations.

Quite a few people in the village are convinced that Ross is a nasty piece of work. Would you describe him as that?
    "He is a nasty piece of work, but nobody is just one thing. There are many levels to Ross, but all that we've seen so far is him just being a nasty piece of work. Over time you may see another side to him but predominantly he is that, yes!"

The Laurel carjacking incident wasn't a first for Ross, was it?
    "No, it wasn't a first, and he does it out of necessity. It's not because he's necessarily getting a thrill from it, but he's a rough lad and that's how he makes his money, so he does it to survive."

Does Ross feel any guilt about what he's putting Laurel through at the moment?
    "There is an element of guilt but also he's out for himself - he's just trying to survive. Ross is an adapter, he's just doing whatever he has to do to get by."

Next week, Ross saves Gabby by jumping in front of a car when she's about to be knocked over. Does he do that to earn favour, or is it an instinctive reaction?
    "No, it's completely instinctive. He's just doing a good deed. He's doing what anybody would probably do to protect someone who's in need. It was a really fun moment to shoot - it was a hard scene, but it's going to look great. There's a car which is going pretty fast, so Ross grabs Gabby to get her out of the way. Unfortunately, he gets hit by the car himself."

How badly is Ross hurt?
    "He's hurt pretty badly, and he's still got his gun wound, too. He doesn't break any bones but there's a lot of bruising and a couple of cuts on his face."

Later in the week, Marcus comes back to haunt Ross and Cain by trashing Butler's Farm and attacking Adam and Moira. How does Ross feel about that?
    "Well, the place looks like a complete mess. There's been a fire, they've ransacked the house, they've stolen lots of things and there's some personal things to Moira that have been taken as well or lost in the destruction.

"Ross feels absolutely gutted - this is not what he wanted, but ultimately he believes that this wouldn't have happened without Cain. Cain is the one that's got him involved in this and it was just a little bit above his head."

So he doesn't blame himself then?
    "There is an element of guilt within himself, but he always thinks the way his life has turned out is somebody else's fault. He's a blamer - he always puts it onto somebody else."

How would you describe Ross's relationship with Moira?
    "I can't give too much away but he needs a mother figure in his life. She has that hold over him and she's actually somebody who's been nice to him and there's been a lot of years in his life when nobody's given any thoughts towards him or cared about where he is. Well, that's what he thinks anyway. So when somebody is nice to him, it's a change and it's unusual."

What does Ross make of Cain?
    "He likes Cain's wild side, because he's a wild boy himself and he kind of looks up to Cain. They can work together. Ross recognises himself in Cain and vice versa. There's a connection between them because of the lives that they've had.

"So there's a bit of mutual respect for each other, even though they seem to rub each other up the wrong way because they're very good at getting on the wrong side of people."

Ross takes a liking to Debbie Dingle, doesn't he?
    "He fancies every girl, but Debbie is particularly beautiful and she's moody and stubborn. She doesn't really let on too much, so I think Ross sees her as a bit of a challenge."

He likes the look of Katie too, doesn't he?
    "Yeah, Katie is another beautiful girl that he sees. He finds out that she's married at the time or she's going through a divorce and that's another element of a challenge to him. It's something he's got to try and crack, and it's a conquest for him."

Do you think they'd make a good couple?
    "No, I don't think Ross is too much of a relationship guy to be honest. He's just had a traumatic upbringing and I don't think he knows how to form relationships with people very well - he finds it weird when people are nice to him. He also prefers being on the wrong side of people - he's looking for a scrap most of the time!"

Have you settled in well to Emmerdale?
    "I have yeah. Everyone has been absolutely amazing. I've been working with people who have been in the show for 10 years now. Everyone's welcomed me here and given me advice when I've asked for it and just been very caring and nurturing.

"Working with Jeff Hordley (Cain) and Bill Ward (James) is bizarre because I'm from the North West, so growing up we'd watch the Northern dramas. I'd see Bill in Corrie and watch Jeff in Emmerdale, so to be on set with them sometimes it can be a bit daunting and I feel a little bit starstruck because I've grown up with those guys.

"Working with Nat [J Robb, who plays Moira] is absolutely amazing - she's so much fun on set and she's a constant professional. They've all been really nice and helped me so much."

Who are your favourite Emmerdale characters from your time watching the show?
    "Cain. I love the bad guys, but Cain has always been on that right side of not being a murderer but liking a fight. He's just played it so well over time."

Would you like Ross to show a softer side like Cain?
    "Well, I think he is a bad boy so he's got to be bad. He doesn't know how to be good, because nobody's really been good to him and he's placing the blame. Ross is bitter and angry about things, so it's going to be a long time before he softens - if he softens at all. I think it's going to get a lot worse before it gets any better."

Last year you appeared on Hollyoaks as Leah's real father Billy. Did that give you a taste for working on a soap?
    "Yeah, although I only did one episode with them. I was meant to do a few more but it didn't pan out. But yeah, it was very fast and really gave me a good insight into how this whole machine works. I wasn't quite aware of how many people actually work for Emmerdale when I first started.

"The hardest part has been actually learning everybody's names in the crew and then learning the actors' names. That's been the most overwhelming part of it - not necessarily the acting or the job itself, it's just meeting everybody."

Did your family and friends watch it before as well?
    "Yeah, my grandparents and aunties watched it quite religiously, and I've got a little sister who's only 3, so we've not really shown her too much because it's a bit dark. She doesn't understand, she just keeps calling out 'Mike's on the TV!'"

How did you feel about your casting being kept secret?
    "It was a hard one for me to keep a secret. I told my very good friends and some family. I didn't even tell all my family because I wanted it to be a surprise. I knew they watched Emmerdale so I wanted them to turn it on and be like, 'Oh my god! It's our Michael'.

"But yeah, Twitter just exploded that night. There were lovely messages coming through a lot of requests on Facebook from people I don't exactly know, but I was ready for that and I knew that was what would happen."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

britgirl (26-11-2013), lizann (27-11-2013)

Last edited by tammyy2j; 26-11-2013 at 00:20.

don't put him with katie and Debbie if he is he is doomed

It wouldn't be serious with them, as the actor said he just thinks they're beautiful but he's not the type to settle.

I think him and Debbie will happen soon as there seems to be some tension between them

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    I think him and Debbie will happen soon as there seems to be some tension between them
    Not after he slept with her mother surely??!!

Thread Information