Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Waterloo Road Series 10 Spoilers

Waterloo Road teenager Bonnie Kincaid faces a dangerous situation in tonight's episode (January 26) as she falls down a steep ravine while on a school trip to the coast.

The shock accident occurs just after Kenzie Calhoun has exposed Bonnie's relationships with both Scott Fairchild and Justin Fitzgerald, leading to a huge row between the foursome.

Holly Jack as Bonnie Kincaid in Waterloo Road
    © BBC / Headstrong Pictures (WR) Ltd/Laurence Cendrowicz
    Holly Jack as Bonnie Kincaid

Bonnie's romance dramas are the least of her worries once she suffers her fall, but will anyone be around to rescue her following the tense showdown she's just had?

Digital Spy recently caught up with Holly Jack, who plays Bonnie, for all the gossip on the dramatic episode and her character's future.

What kind of a reaction have you seen from Waterloo Road fans since you arrived on screen?
    "It's been a huge reaction - the fans are very vocal and great fun! I've got a lot more followers on Twitter and people seem to be really positive about the show. They're always tweeting what they think and it's really nice to have such great support, especially when there are so many other new characters who have come into the show.

"Waterloo Road is also my biggest role because it's a national television show with a lot more viewers than I've ever had before. The reaction has been very exciting."

How do you look back on your time filming with the show?
    "It was great fun. The whole experience was brilliant as everyone was so lovely. We were filming for three months and spending pretty much every day together, so it was important to get on well with everyone - which we did!

"It was just a great experience as we were filming over the summer and we had beautiful weather in Greenock. For this week's episode, we also got to go to a gorgeous location which was really fun."

Did you enjoy filming Bonnie's love triangle with Scott and Justin?
    "It was really fun! The four characters of Bonnie, Scott, Justin and Kenzie have got very interesting storylines and we all worked together a lot. The three guys were so lovely to work with and we got along really well.

"As well as being a really fun storyline to be part of, I thought it really echoed teenagers' lives very well - it rang true to me when I read the scripts. The story is so messy and there were a lot of things I could relate to from when I was a teenager and how confusing it can be, so I really liked that."

Waterloo Road actors Andrew Still, Charlotte Beaumont, Max Bowden, Holly Jack
    Scott, Kenzie, Justin and Bonnie

Do the Waterloo Road fans have any strong opinions on who Bonnie should be with?
    "It's quite mixed so far! I've read quite a lot of tweets from people mentioning 'Jonnie' - Justin and Bonnie put together, which made me laugh quite a lot! But I'm not sure how people are going to react, because I think the audience are going to really like Kenzie as a character as well. I'm not entirely sure how they're going to feel about how it all develops, but I'm interested to find out!"

Who do you think she's better off with?
    "I changed my mind back and forth a few times when I was filming the series, but I was just hopeful that Bonnie would eventually learn her lesson and come out of the whole thing a stronger, more confident person. Fingers crossed that will be the case!"

What can we expect from tonight's episode?
    "It's a great episode. As soon as I read the script, I was very excited to film it. I could see that it'd be a really fast-paced and exciting episode, so hopefully that's how it comes across on screen!

"Kenzie finds out that Bonnie has been seeing both boys and decides to use that against her. Bonnie tries to make out that she's not bothered if Kenzie tells the boys, but underneath she is quite scared of how they will react.

"Once all of the secrets start coming out on a school trip, it leads to a bit of a fall for Bonnie. She ends up slipping and falling down quite a steep ravine, so that's how it all escalates! With tensions running so high, the question is who's going to come and rescue Bonnie - if anyone?"

A school trip for the teens will go wrong
    © BBC / Headstrong Pictures (WR) Ltd/Neil Davidson
    A school trip for the teens will go wrong

Were you nervous about filming such big scenes in only your fourth episode?
    "Yeah, I was very nervous actually. It's quite a big responsibility when you're going to be such a big part of an episode. I was also very excited, though. When the stuntman came to ask me how much of the stunt I'd be willing to do, I said I wanted to do as much as possible.

"On set that day, it was like being in a James Bond film because I had a proper harness on and had to abseil down the side of the ravine. It was a great experience as an actress - that's the kind of thing we sign up for!"

How much of the stunt did you get to do in the end?
    "I got to do quite a lot of it, which was great and I was really glad about that. We did have a stunt double for the actual fall, so the bit where you see Bonnie actually falling off the side of the ravine wasn't me, thankfully!

"The girl who did the fall was great - she had absolutely no fear whatsoever. I got to sit and watch on the monitor when they were filming it and I jumped out of my seat when I saw the stunt. It was so odd because obviously the stunt double was dressed exactly the same as me. It was a very strange experience, but really cool to sit and watch her do it."

How much notice did you get before filming such a big moment?
    "We tended to get our scripts about two or three weeks before we started shooting, so I knew it was coming up. The producers and the stunt co-ordinator came and spoke to me about it a few weeks before we had to film it, just to make me aware of what was going to happen. That was quite nice as I could mentally prepare for it all!"

Waterloo Road's latest school trip
    Waterloo Road's latest school trip

Bonnie also starts to get some malicious texts in this episode…
    "She does, which is a shame! I actually feel really sorry for Bonnie because she's not a bad person. She's a nice girl underneath, but she's just going through quite a traumatic time trying to find herself after coming back to school with this new image.

"It's Bonnie's new image and attitude which sparks the negative texts and it is bullying. She suffers with that for a while over the next few episodes and she tries to find out who's doing it. So that'll be the next big thing for Bonnie to deal with!"

This kind of bullying is very relevant for young people, so were you glad to delve into it?
    "I was, because that's what I've always enjoyed about Waterloo Road - they really do explore these big issues that young people face. I think it's really nice for young people to watch a TV show and see that these things do happen to other people too. They can also see how to deal with it, so I think it's great that Waterloo Road is tackling that sort of issue.

"I feel quite lucky that I missed Facebook and Twitter being so big! When I was at school, it was all just taking off, but now I think there's a lot of pressure on young people to have social media sites and act and look a certain way on them."

How did you feel about taking on Bonnie's 'bombshell' image?
    "I was actually really excited because I've never played a character that was quite so glamorous. When I first got the role, I was really excited that I would be wearing the tan, the fake hair and the nails.

"It was really fun at the beginning, but as I went on, it could become a bit of a chore! I had to sit in the make-up chair from 6am for an hour and a half every day for three months, but hopefully it will all be worth it for Bonnie!"

Holly Jack as Bonnie Kincaid in Waterloo Road
    © BBC / Headstrong Pictures (WR) Ltd/Brian Grant
    Bonnie transformed her image before the new school term

How did you feel about being part of Waterloo Road for the show's final conclusion?
    "It was such a privilege to be part of the last series. I know a lot of people were sad that it was ending, but for me it didn't really feel like anything was coming to an end because it was my first series. I had three months to do the filming and I always knew that would be it. The show will go out with a bang and I hope the viewers will enjoy the last seven episodes that are still to go out."

We've heard that you're about to join the New York Film Academy for a month! Are you excited?
    "I'm so excited. It's the New York Film Academy but it's the LA campus, so I get to go to the sunshine which is lovely! The course sounds amazing too. It's acting for film and television, so it's exploring more of the style of acting that I love to do.

"They have some amazing guest speakers who go there and Al Pacino was there last month! It's such a great opportunity to get to go and experience it over there and I'm really looking forward to it."

Is it tricky to get a place?
    "I think so - you have to apply by sending over your CV and showreel and then they get back to you. But they got back to me really quickly actually - I only had to wait for two days! They invited me to come along, so I was absolutely thrilled that I got a place for it. I go this week and I can't wait."

Do you feel there's always more to learn as an actor?
    "Oh, without a doubt - I don't think you ever stop learning as an actor. I always feel that the more life experience you have, the better actor you become, because you get a better understanding of different situations and human behaviour.

"What I'm really excited about is getting a bit of the American vibe. I think American actors are very good at saying, 'Look at me - I'm good at this' while actors on this side of the world are maybe a bit more reserved. I think they're a lot better at selling themselves, so I'm hoping to come back with a bit of that!"

Waterloo Road's history teacher Audrey McFall takes centre stage in a comedic storyline in tonight's episode (February 2) when she is caught with a racy novel in her possession.

Audrey is delighted when a copy of a saucy new book turns up for her at the school, but it soon falls into the wrong hands and extracts end up being read out over the tannoy by some troublesome pupils!

Georgie Glen as Audrey McFall in Waterloo Road
    Georgie Glen as Audrey McFall

Afterwards, the story takes another twist when it becomes clear that Audrey is much more involved in the book than she first let on…

Digital Spy recently caught up with Georgie Glen, who plays Audrey, to hear more about this week's episode and how she feels about the BBC drama coming to an end.

Was this a fun episode to film?
    "It was huge fun and I was really delighted when this storyline came up. We'd actually discussed it some time before, when I was having a glass of wine at the BBC with the producer Margaret Scott. We were talking about possible storylines for Audrey and which would be the right way to go with her.

"I think we were probably on the second or third glass of wine when this idea came up, and I thought it was great! We began thinking more along the lines of Mills & Boon and with Fifty Shades of Grey coming out, it just seemed like good timing for something like this to happen.

"To me, it seemed like something that Audrey would be quite capable of doing. It may surprise the audience, but I justified it myself because I felt that Audrey would be quite capable of quietly doing something like this."

How does Audrey feel when her book is spread around the school?
    "Audrey is mortified when she mislays the book. She's just taking it out of its packaging for the first time and she's very excited about seeing it. Audrey rather foolishly takes it into a class with her and puts it on the side, but then an incident happens and one of the pupils gets hold of it.

"First of all there's the ensuing panic when Audrey realises that the book is missing, and then it gets worse when the students get hold of the tannoy and start reading it out! The whole story unravels in quite a comic way. It's the light relief of the episode because there are darker things going on too."

How do Audrey's colleagues feel about the book?
    "Well, Audrey has to make a decision when she is challenged about it. Christine and George rumble the fact that Audrey is more involved with this book than she let on originally. She decides to brazen it out, so she admits to it and is quite defiant!

"Audrey often has that defiance, which is what I loved about the character. She's quite capable of standing up to people and defending herself. After an initial panic that she's going to get into hot water, she decides to be bold about it."

The tannoy incident is bad timing, though, as there's a PTA inspection at Waterloo Road on the same day…
    "Yes, and Audrey's storyline adds to the other things that have gone wrong that day. When the PTA are coming round, you obviously want to make the best impression, but there are all these little incidents happening. They all potentially bang another nail in the coffin for the school, but I think Waterloo Road is strong and the staff are all out to fight their corner. I think they can carry on without these problems bringing the school down.

"Audrey is also caught in class, after she decides to turn the situation into a lesson on the history of eroticism! She's caught doing that and everyone is shocked, but I'm sure Audrey would be capable of explaining herself in an intellectual, academic way. Look at Mary Beard - she's an academic but she thinks nothing of discussing sexual things. So I think Audrey can defend herself!"

You mentioned discussing story ideas with the producer, so were they always open to ideas?
    "They were always very open to ideas and suggestions. I think obviously the producers had to have their eye on a bigger arc too, but they can also be the puppet masters and see the best way to work in a storyline for someone.

"The producers always welcomed input. Some time ago, I had a story with a much younger man who Audrey brought back from Africa and was going to marry, and I worried about that. When it was discussed with me I thought, 'Is Audrey going to look ridiculous? Will this be a turn-off for viewers to think of this ageing woman with this much younger man?' But in fact we discussed all of that and I thought they handled it all really sensitively and well. My concerns were taken on board and it was all absolutely fine.

"There was never any reason to worry at Waterloo Road, because if there was something you really felt strongly about, you would always go to see the producers. We were all in the same building in Greenock and that was fantastic, because often producers are away in another building or another town. Having them there with us was a real luxury."

Did you prefer Audrey's comedic storylines or her more dramatic moments?
    "I have enjoyed playing Audrey hugely. She had both comedic and dramatic material and I loved them both because they were both part of the same person. I've been an actress for some time now - about 35 years - and I know that Audrey would be in my top three characters that I've ever played.

"By playing Audrey for three years, I got to know her very well. I liked that she wasn't just what she seemed. There were a lot of layers to her, and anyone who took her at face value did so at their peril!

"I also felt that I was doing it for all the women of a certain age out there who were watching the programme and may have felt they'd become invisible in society. You get to a certain age and you wear your sensible skirts and comfy shoes and somehow people stop thinking of you having an interesting life, but you don't get to that age without having a history.

"A woman of Audrey's age would have been to university in the '60s and the scriptwriters were great because they worked that in. There was a class where she was talking about music festivals and the students were open-mouthed!

"Audrey is a wonderful combination between being conventional and eccentric. I've been amazed at how many people have approached me in the street to say that Audrey reminds them of a teacher they had at school. Thank God there are teachers like Audrey out there who are genuinely passionate and excited about the job!"

Waterloo Road's Melanie Hill, Georgie Glen and Victoria Bush

What was the atmosphere like on set when Waterloo Road finished up production?
    "It was so sad. My last day was before the very final day of filming and I was very sad about that. I think they were originally going to have a big staff room scene on the last day, and those were always my favourite days, but we couldn't do that in the end due to scheduling. I was very sad not to be there for the last day, but I still stayed up in Glasgow because we had a big party that night.

"On my own personal last day, I was just really sad. I got through it all and then I cried on the way back in the car! I cried quietly, I wasn't weeping and wailing! (Laughs.) But I thought it was so sad because I'd really enjoyed so much about the job. I loved being in Glasgow and Greenock and working with such a wonderful group of people.

"We did bond as a family and because so many people were away from home, it almost became like what I imagine going to university would be like. You'd get together in the evenings and our flats in Glasgow became like a hall of residence where we'd wave at each other out of the windows and decide where we'd be going that evening. I do miss that - quite apart from the job, I miss the life."

Are you still in touch with many of the cast?
    "Absolutely - I was talking to two of them yesterday! When we were filming, we did a thing called 'the Tuesday club' where we'd all go out for dinner together once a week. We thought we'd try to keep it going once the show was over. So far we've met up three times and we'll be planning another one soon.

"I've definitely made friends for life and not just the actors. I met up with three of the costume designers last week. It's so nice that we've all got each other's numbers and can catch up with each other. We'll all work together again at some point as well - it's a small world!"

This was the first time you'd done a continuing drama role. Would you be tempted to do it again with another show?
    "Yes, I think I would. I think I would weigh up what it was, but I loved Waterloo Road and I would love to repeat that kind of experience. I think Waterloo Road was unique in many ways, because it was on my old home turf and I was able to reconnect with a lot of my past. I also loved the character and I loved the show.

"I would weigh it up, but the truth is I'd probably say yes and grab it with both hands! What I did discover about continuing drama is that it's very nice to have longer to get to know a company and get to know your character. That is a real advantage of it, which I would find inviting again."

What's next for you?
    "I've done an episode of a new comedy called Hoff the Record with David Hasselhoff. That's the fun - even though I was sad when Waterloo Road was coming to an end, you suddenly realise all the other work out there that you could get and all of the other people you could potentially work with. It was great that my first job afterwards was with David Hasselhoff because it was like working with a legend. He came up to my expectations - he was fantastic and a really nice guy.

"I've also got another job that I've done four episodes of. It's a Disney production and we're just waiting for it to be greenlit. It's a huge drama for all the family, so I'm very lucky. I've also got a few other pilots that I did last year which will come to fruition this year, but that will be later in the summer."

Waterloo Road's Abdul Bukhari takes centre stage in tonight's episode (February 9) as he makes a shocking discovery about his past.

The drama begins when the schoolboy starts working on a genetics science project involving his family tree, which leaves his father Hassan deeply shaken. Abdul initially becomes worried that his dad is keeping the risk of a genetic disorder from him, but the truth is more devastating than he could have imagined.

We recently chatted to Armin Karima, who plays Abdul, to get some teasers on what to expect from the latest episode.

Armin Karima as Abdul Bukhari

What was this episode like for you to film?
    "It was amazing to film. I built up such a bond with Ian Aspinall, who played Abdul's dad Hassan. When you have such a bond with another actor, it means you can really perfect the scenes together. We also had a great director for the next two episodes coming up. These were my main episodes in the series, so they were really fun to shoot."

Did you always know this storyline was coming up for Abdul?
    "No, it actually came as a surprise to me, to be honest. The cast received the scripts for the first four episodes and then we didn't receive the next ones until a month later. I wasn't expecting this storyline but I knew something was going to happen to my character, because Waterloo Road are so famous for their dramatic storylines! That's what makes the show really great."

How long after receiving these big scripts did you start filming them?
    "We received the scripts about a couple of weeks before, but as we didn't have our call sheets then, we didn't know exactly what scenes we'd be shooting and when. The lines kept being amended as well, so you had to keep learning new versions of the scripts. You couldn't learn your scripts a week or a month before, you usually had to do them the night before!"

What can we expect from this week's episode?
    "Abdul is doing a science project about genetics and his family tree. Abdul is really smart and organised, so if he wants to do something, he will definitely follow it through. The story really starts when Abdul notices that his father is acting really vague. Abdul starts asking questions about that, but the answers he gets are really weird and he wonders why Hassan won't tell him the truth.

"As the story develops and Abdul does find out the secret that his dad's been keeping, he starts questioning his identity. Then as it continues, I can also say that the police will be knocking down the door..."

Hassan and Abdul Bukhari

We see a different side to Abdul once the truth is out. Did you enjoy exploring that?
    "Yeah, I did. Abdul had always been really polite, organised and such a gentleman! He never got into any trouble. After Abdul finds out the truth, he does change - but anyone would in this situation that Abdul ends up in. The teachers try their best to take care of Abdul, but he gets put into a really hard position."

Is Abdul's relationship with his father strong enough to survive all of the drama coming up?
    "Abdul has got a really great connection with his dad. After school, Hassan always tries to make plans for them and he really does love Abdul a lot. There's a lot of drama coming up, but they could probably overcome it because their love is really strong.

"After [Abdul] finds out the truth, though, he really doubts his existence and he breaks down. He starts questioning himself and wonders why he exists. It really does hurt him and he goes through such a journey, especially with his dad. They had such a great bond before this."

How do you look back on your time on the show?
    "I can simply say that it's been amazing. Waterloo Road has been such a success over the past ten years and it's been a privilege to work on it. When I was in secondary school, everyone talked about Waterloo Road. The school looked so cool - there was always so much drama going on and then when you looked at your own school, it seemed kind of boring! (Laughs.)

"This was my first big job and working with such established actors really helped me, because I could pick up many things from them. It's a real privilege to have worked with them."

Was it a long audition process to get the role?
    "The audition process was very quick because it was just one recall. They were shooting the first episode while I was auditioning and they had to cast Abdul really quickly. The first audition was very quick - it was just eight lines! I think they wanted to see who had the right look for the part, but then there was a proper recall afterwards and thankfully I managed to make a good impression!"

Abdul Bukhari, Carrie Norton and Leo Fitzgerald

What kind of reaction have you seen from the fans?
    "I was really surprised by the reaction. Abdul hasn't really appeared much compared to some of the other new characters yet, but the support that the fans show is still really solid. You really wouldn't expect it. This is my first major job and the support I'm getting is really surprising. I was waiting for my storyline to at least pop up before people would be supportive, but it's happening already! The fans are really great."

How did you feel about being part of the show for the very end?
    "I was gutted in that sense, because Waterloo Road is such a unique show for the BBC. It's been such a success for the past ten years and watching it go kind of hurts me because all of my friends and everyone I know has been watching it. There's such a solid fanbase and being part of the final series was overwhelming. I couldn't believe I was there at the wrap party and was part of finishing Waterloo Road!"

Who did you make friends with from the cast?
    "All of the young cast. I got along with the older cast members as well, but we were separated because we had our own apartment and everyone was really nice."

Who did you look up to from the older cast?
    "I could pick many things up from Laurie Brett - she's an amazing actress. Angus Deayton is so brilliant too and he really enjoyed playing George. His acting always seemed very natural. It was the same with Neil Pearson and everyone else, to be honest - I was just observing everyone!"

What have you been up to since the show finished filming?
    "I've shot a feature film with a prominent actor from Iran who came over here to film it. I think being part of Waterloo Road will also be helpful for the future. When you go to a casting it's great for them to know you've done already something major. The show can open up many doors for actors, including myself hopefully!"
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Demolition work has begun at the set of Waterloo Road this week.

The long-running school drama was filmed at the former Greenock Academy site in Scotland for nearly three years, but the building has stood empty since production on the BBC show was completed last August.

The cast and crew of Waterloo Road
    © Shed Productions (WR) / Stuart Nichol
    The cast and crew of Waterloo Road

A demolition team arrived at the site this week and began the process of flattening the former school.

Pictures taken at the scene are currently being shared on social media, showing the work well under way.

Was Crying today waterloo road demolished noooooo !!!!! pic.twitter.com/dp33ZBOecQ

— Niamh (@Niamh_emilee) February 10, 2015

Poignant photo in the rubble as Greenock Academy/Waterloo Road demolition starts | Click http://t.co/lXtCLcWrB9 pic.twitter.com/9PhZGEzSvg

— Inverclyde Now (@inverclyde_now) February 11, 2015

BBC One announced its decision to bring Waterloo Road to an end last April. The news that the school would be demolished was confirmed just a few days later.

Greenock Academy was founded in 1855 but closed as a real-life school in 2011. Shortly afterwards, it was chosen as the new setting for Waterloo Road when production moved from Rochdale to Scotland in 2012.

Once demolition work has been completed, the school site is expected to be re-purposed and sold off by the council for redevelopment.

Waterloo Road has four episodes still left to air and is currently being broadcast in an 8.30pm Monday slot on BBC Three.

Monday 2 March 8.30-9.30pm BBC THREE

Vaughan struggles to separate his professional and private life as the threat of the merger draws closer, Lorna’s past catches up with her at the school gates and Sonya is forced to face up to the reality of her condition.

Vaughan’s stress levels are at an all-time high: not only is it the day before the final merger consultation, but Justin is being threatened with exclusion for his part in the cyberbullying. As the school gears up for one last round of campaigning, Vaughan sees how neglectful he’s been to his sons and realises he must decide where his priorities lie.

Lorna is shocked by the sudden appearance of her estranged husband at the school but as he lends some much-needed expertise to the merger campaign, Lorna is forced to reconsider her feelings for him.

Sonya discovers something about Guy that forces her to confront her guilty secret - with devastating results.

Waterloo Road's deputy head Lorna Hutchinson receives a shock in the show's penultimate episode tonight (March 2) as her estranged husband arrives at the school unexpectedly.

Lorna's ex Rob (Gareth David-Lloyd) has managed to track her down after she ran away from her old life, but her attempts to get rid of him are thwarted when he offers to help launch a last-minute PR campaign to save the school from closure.

We recently caught up with Laura Aikman, who plays Lorna, to hear how her character will be affected by Rob's arrival.

What was this storyline like to film?
    "It was really enjoyable. I've got a lot more to do when Gareth David-Lloyd comes in playing Lorna's husband Rob. He's fantastic, so that was really fun to start with.

"I also got to do a lot more with Stefano Braschi who played Marco. He and I had a very bad giggling problem, so every time we had a scene together, it took ages because the two of us couldn't stop laughing! (Laughs.) We've got some quite serious stuff coming up too, so we couldn't really get away with it!"

Lorna has always been quite cagey, but did you always know she had this husband out there?
    "Yeah, I always knew because of the stuff I did early on when Lorna said to her mum that she was in London. I needed to know why she was lying to her mum, so I knew from the start that she had run away from her old life and was trying to start again.

"There have been other clues too, like when they were trying to take a picture of Lorna for the school website and she didn't want to do it because she didn't want Rob to know where she was. It's such a shock when she sees Rob and she realises that he must have tracked her down somehow."

How does Lorna feel about Rob being back on the scene?
    "Lorna has run away from her life, so it's a complete shock and surprise when she sees Rob. I think there's also a part of her that's quite scared of him and scared of what he will do. He doesn't just turn up to her work - he confronts her in the school playground right in front of all the kids and in front of Marco. She's obviously trying to keep her cool, but it's a massive shock."

A normal school day for Lorna will go wrong

Lorna has always been quite private, so it must be difficult when everyone is gossiping about her all of a sudden!
    "It's awful! Rob also immediately offers to help out with this crisis that the school is in, because he used to work in a PR company. He wants to put a spin on things and help Vaughan save the school, but that means everyone at Waterloo Road is going to know he's her husband and all about their personal life. That's Lorna's personal hell, but because Rob offers to help out in front of everyone, she can't say no. So she's definitely having a bad time of it in these final two episodes!"

Rob's ideas to save the school involve Sonya, don't they?
    "Yeah, because everyone still thinks that Sonya has cancer at this stage, Rob convinces her to give a testimonial saying how much the school means to her and how supportive everyone has been throughout everything. He thinks that could bring in positive publicity for the school. Obviously we know as the audience that Sonya hasn't really got cancer, so she is also getting into deeper and deeper water the longer that Rob stays around!"

Is there a chance that Lorna could warm to Rob again?
    "Well, she did marry him so obviously there's something there and she loved him once. That spark is still there, but there were also a huge amount of problems before she ran away. It's quite fraught over the final two episodes, but Rob is a very charming character and it's quite hard to ignore his charms!"

Sonya and Rob try to save the school

Do you think Lorna is better suited to Marco?
    "Yeah, I think Marco would make her happier, but maybe she's a glutton for punishment!"

This week's episode also sees the truth about Bonnie's cyberbullying finally come out. Is Lorna involved much in that?
    "By that point, Lorna is really preoccupied with Rob being back and the campaign to save the school. The longer Rob stays around, the more the campaign goes into overdrive. That becomes Lorna's focus - managing that campaign and also managing him!"

How do you look back on your time on Waterloo Road in general?
    "I had a brilliant time. I'm actually in Glasgow now working on another show, and I'm working with a lot of the same crew. It's a bit weird, like a blast from the past! I had an absolutely great time on Waterloo Road - I had such fun. All the cast are so funny so it was hard to keep a straight face!"

Obviously you always knew this was the final series, but was it still sad when it came to an end?
    "It was, but I think it was a lot harder for the people who'd been in the show for a long time. The good thing was that it created a really nice vibe for the final series, because everyone was trying to make the last ten episodes the best that they could be. Everyone knew the show was coming to an end, so everyone really pulled together and it was great. The final two episodes send the show out with a bang as they're very explosive."

How much of a reaction have you seen from the fans?
    "I've seen a lot, I have to say! People like Lorna a lot more than I thought they would. When I was playing her, I thought she was being a real bitch to everyone, but people seem to be quite thrilled with her!

"I've seen a lot of support from people who are at school themselves and are going through difficult times. People seem to respond to that side of Lorna and a lot of people have messaged me saying they wish they had a teacher like her who really cared about the students. So I've had a really amazing reaction."

Have you kept in touch with any of the cast?
    "Yeah, all of the teachers! I went to lunch with Stefano last week, I spoke to Vicky [Bush, who plays Sonya] this morning and we all stay friends."

Is there anyone from the younger cast who you'd tip to go far?
    "Definitely Charlie Beaumont who plays Kenzie. Her mum and dad were my drama teachers when I was a teenager, so I already knew her a little bit before I joined Waterloo Road. I think she's brilliant. Obviously she's been in Broadchurch as well and I think she's going to do amazing things."

What's next for you?
    "I'm in BBC Three's Bluestone 42 which starts again on the 9th March. I come into the show in the second episode as a new series regular. It's a comedy about an IED disposal department in Afghanistan and it's very funny.

"At the moment I'm in Glasgow filming a comedy pilot for BBC One called Stop/Start, which is about three married couples. Nigel Havers is playing my husband in that. I'm also doing The Job Lot again in the summer."

Would you be interested in another ongoing drama or soap role?
    "Yeah, I guess maybe another ongoing drama. I get itchy feet quite quickly, though. I did a year in Casualty and felt that maybe a year is my maximum sentence before I need a change!"

Did you watch EastEnders' Live Week to see your Waterloo Road co-star Laurie Brett in action?
    "Yeah, I don't usually watch EastEnders but I watched all of Live Week and I was completely obsessed with it. I thought it was brilliant! I didn't even know who Lucy was at the start of it, but by Friday I was completely filled in!"

Waterloo Road's Melanie Hill has also just joined Corrie...
    "Has she? I didn't know that! I'm so pleased for her and she'll be brilliant - that's great news. I'll have to give her a text! Oh God, I'll have to watch Corrie now! (Laughs.)"
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Waterloo Road bows out in style tonight (March 9) as an emotional final episode sees the students band together for a last-ditch attempt to save the school from closure.

The show's last outing marks exactly nine years of Waterloo Road, as the popular drama first hit screens on March 9, 2006.

Digital Spy recently caught up with Rebecca Craven, who plays long-running pupil Rhiannon Salt, to get the gossip on the final ever episode.

Rebecca Craven as Rhiannon Salt in Waterloo Road
    Rebecca Craven as Rhiannon Salt

What can we expect from the final episode of Waterloo Road?
    "It's going to be quite a tearful one, but hopefully it's a happy episode too. With the life of the school still hanging in the balance, the last episode is going to focus on how much the pupils love Waterloo Road and need it to stay. They don't want the merger.

"As the heart of the show over the last ten series has been the pupils, I think it'll be nice for the fans to hear from the kids themselves as they explain how much Waterloo Road means to them. There's a really nice scene where the kids have an assembly and they all speak about how much Waterloo Road has done for them and changed their lives."

Vaughan isn't around to steer the ship for part of the episode, so do the kids find it difficult when they have to try saving the school on their own?
    "Absolutely! Darren, Rhiannon and Lenny take it upon themselves to try their best to save the school and go against what the teachers are saying by skipping lessons to focus on the campaign. They're so passionate about it - especially Rhiannon because she's been there for three years.

"The school really has changed Rhiannon as a person and has helped her to overcome her many demons. She just wants to show the PTA and the Havelock people how amazing Waterloo Road really is. Yes there's been some bad pupils in the past, but the school has helped the kids to change no matter what bad press it's had. Vaughan's not there so they have to do it themselves, and hopefully the outcome will be positive."

Will the fans be pleased with the show's ending?
    "Absolutely. It wouldn't be Waterloo Road without a bit of drama, so throughout the episode it's all up in the air as to what will happen. But the fans will definitely be happy. The episode also pays homage to previous series at the end, so it'll be very tearful!"

Did you all know the ending well in advance?
    "No, we just waited for the scripts to come out. There was quite a bit of speculation about how they were going to do it - would there be a massive disaster, or would it be really happy? When we got the final script, we were all really happy because we wanted the show to end on a great note and we're really proud of the last episode. There's some really great shots of the school that our director Steve Hughes has done and I've heard through the grapevine that it's going to look amazing."

Was it important to you to be there for the ending?
    "I was just so honoured to be asked to be part of the last ten episodes. I was initially a bit scared thinking, 'Oh gosh, Rhiannon's been in school for quite a while now', but to be part of the last ten was amazing. Obviously Rhiannon as a character has been on a journey, but for me as an actress and a person, it's just been this massive chunk of my life which has been an amazing time. I was absolutely chuffed when they asked me back for the final ten."

You stuck around for a while longer than some of the other pupils. Were the writers big Rhiannon fans?!
    "I just think I'm very lucky! (Laughs.) I'm the type of girl who just feels very happy and very lucky to be where she is. As long as you get to do something you love for a living, you should be happy. Not to blow my own trumpet, but I'm quite easy to get on with, and I'll always be on time and know my lines. I just think I'm very lucky, and obviously the writers and producers saw what a lovely time I was having over the years and that I was working very hard. I really just grabbed it by the horns and went for it for the three years. I think that's why they kept me on!"

Waterloo Road's Bonnie, Kenzie, Justin, Darren, Rhiannon and Scott
    Rebecca with her Waterloo Road co-stars

Did you enjoy Rhiannon's transformation from school bully to one of the most popular characters?
    "Absolutely. The storylines I've had over the three years have been amazing. When I first got the job I was like, 'Wow, this character has got so many levels to her. She's like a little onion and you need to peel them off'. I really enjoyed doing the first ten episodes with the bullying, but then the self-harm storyline came out and viewers realised that Rhiannon's inner demons were the reason she was a bully. That was brilliant and then we had the little relationship with Darren and how Rhiannon dealt with that as a teenager.

"I think she's a very typical teenager, which is why the fans have grown to love her. She has got issues and she didn't want to speak up about them, but then she finally did and it's given the fans the confidence to do the same if they're in the same boat. I've had some lovely tweets from viewers about being a bully or being bullied. It's been a dream of an arc and it's nice to end it on a really nice note and see how much Rhiannon has learned and grown over the journey."

What was the atmosphere like on set when they shouted 'cut' for the final time?
    "I wasn't in on the last day of filming, but there were quite a few of us who had our last scene together on the second-to-last day. It was mine, Mark's, Joe's, Georgie's, Mel's and Angus's. It was really weird because we knew it was coming to an end and we were trying not to get emotional, but then they said 'cut' and that scene was complete. We all just went 'whoa' and it felt so surreal. It was emotional and we made sure to have a little picture with the clapperboard at the end. But everyone was also really happy and proud. Obviously we were going to be sad because it was a massive part of our lives, but we were really proud of what we'd achieved."

How was the wrap party afterwards?
    "That party was amazing! We all got glammed up and out of our pupil and teacher uniforms. Everyone let their hair down and celebrated what we'd achieved over the summer. Obviously we had a few drinks and danced the night away. Everyone went - from the writers, cast and crew. The heart of Waterloo Road was there."

Rhiannon and Darren kiss at the party
    © BBC / Shed Productions (WR) Ltd/Alan Peebles
    Rhiannon and Darren

What have you been up to since?
    "I did a panto in the Lyric Hammersmith in London over Christmas, so that was a lot of fun because it was a completely different discipline to what being on a telly set is like. I finished that in the middle of January, then I went home for a couple of weeks because I hadn't really seen my family and friends for months after being in London over Christmas.

"I've moved to London now and I've been here for about three weeks, so I'm just settling in and auditioning. Now it's just doing that thing of what being an actor is really like - 99% of the time you're not in work, so I'm auditioning and meeting new people."

Would you like to do another ongoing drama role, or perhaps join a soap?
    "I'd absolutely love to do anything like that. I started off in musical theatre as a kid, but the experience and exposure on Waterloo Road has made me realise how much I do love screen acting. It's something that I'd really love to focus on again, on a long-running soap or drama. Television is amazing because it's so personal to the audience as we're on your screens so often. You become a part of people's lives and that's a really cool thing."

Who have you kept in touch with since leaving?
    "My best friend in the whole world is Victoria Bush who plays Sonya. I was a bridesmaid at her wedding last year and she's like a sister to me. I was recently in Newcastle visiting her. I spoke to Mark Beswick for like three hours yesterday! We all had such a massive impact on each other's lives, so we have made friends forever.

"We're also very good at supporting each other. For example, Max Bowden is in a UK tour of Birdsong at the moment and a few of us are going to try and catch him when he comes down south again. Everyone will always keep in touch with what we're doing. When I did Hairspray in Leicester last year, quite a few of the cast came to see me in that. Quite a few of them saw me in panto as well, so we're a massive family."

Did you watch EastEnders' Live Week to see Laurie Brett in action?
    "Absolutely. I was obsessed with it! Laurie was absolutely amazing and they should all be so proud. It was so insane, especially that live Friday episode - I was so emotional watching that. The performances from Adam Woodyatt and Laurie were insane. I'm just so proud of her and it's just fantastic that I got to work with that lady. I've learned so much from her, and seeing her go back into EastEnders and absolutely smash it is brilliant."

You must be equally proud of Melanie Hill joining Corrie!
    "Oh my God, I know! How amazing is that? She started shooting last week and that's so exciting for her. I think she's perfect for Corrie, so I'm excited to see her come on screen and see what stories are going to unfold for her."

What has Waterloo Road meant to you over the years?
    "For me, it's just about how much I've learned as an actress and as a person. Over the three years, I've changed a lot and I can't thank the cast and crew enough for how supportive they've been. They've been my family and we literally lived in each other's pockets for those three years. I started the job when I was 20 and I left when I was 23, so it was a massive deal. I can't thank them enough for how much they mean to me, how much I can take from the experience and how much I can now put into my next jobs.

"I'll also just remember how much fun we had! Obviously there'd be times where it was 8am and you were freezing and tired in the playground, but you've just got to realise that when you get to do something you love for a living, that's the luckiest thing in the world. Getting up in the morning, going into work, sitting in the make-up chair and then going onto set was just the best thing ever, so I'm very grateful."

Thread Information