Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrea (Hayley Tamaddon)

Exclamation Andrea (Hayley Tamaddon)

Former Emmerdale star Hayley Tamaddon is joining the cast of Coronation Street.

The actress has landed the role of new character Andrea, who will be introduced in a storyline with established regular Steve McDonald (Simon Gregson).

Hayley Tamaddon
    © Rex Features / Can Nguyen
    Hayley Tamaddon

An upcoming plot will see Steve decide to go back to school, wanting to improve his education as he has been struggling to help his daughter Amy with her homework.

Andrea will be one of Steve's classmates in his lessons and they quickly strike up a friendship, but this doesn't go down well with Steve's suspicious partner Michelle Connor (Kym Lomas).

A show statement teased: "Is Michelle right to be wary, or has Andrea actually set her sights on another well-known Weatherfielder?"

Coronation Street's producer Stuart Blackburn told itv.com: "I'm absolutely delighted to welcome Hayley to the show. She's a great actress who I know is going to bring plenty of drama to the famous cobbles of Weatherfield."

Tamaddon played the role of Delilah Dingle on Emmerdale between 2005 and 2007.

She also won the fifth series of ITV's Dancing on Ice in 2010.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (04-10-2013)

A show statement teased: "Is Michelle right to be wary, or has Andrea actually set her sights on another well-known Weatherfielder?"
    I don't like Steve and Michelle as a couple this time around so maybe this new character Andrea could be a better match for Steve

Last edited by tammyy2j; 04-10-2013 at 17:14.

I don't like Steve and Michelle as a couple now, it seems really weird that they would get back together and with so little fuss!

Liking Steve going back to school though, you wouldn't expect it from a bloke like him with a fairly successful business to keep him occupied, could encourage others to do it.
    Check out my Strictly Come Dancing Blog! - The 2014 blogging has begun!

I don't like Steve and Michelle as a couple now, it seems really weird that they would get back together and with so little fuss!

Liking Steve going back to school though, you wouldn't expect it from a bloke like him with a fairly successful business to keep him occupied, could encourage others to do it.
    Check out my Strictly Come Dancing Blog! - The 2014 blogging has begun!

Hayley Tamaddon has spoken of her nerves at joining Coronation Street.

The former Emmerdale actress admitted that she was "petrified" about working on the long-running soap.

She told Inside Soap: "I had to call my mum on the first day as I was too scared to drive to the studio.

"I felt sick, because it was the biggest deal ever. But once I got there I was fine. Everyone was lovely!"

Tamaddon added that she was more nervous about working on Coronation Street than Emmerdale because she only had one audition and one screen test for the role.

She explained: "I was petrified because it was all so quick!

"I had five auditions for Delilah (in Emmerdale), but with Andrea there was just one, then a screen test with Simon Gregson (who plays Steve) and Craig Charles (who plays Lloyd Mullaney) - and then I was offered the job!"

Tamaddon will take part in Dancing on Ice: All-Stars in the new year, which will see six former winners of the ice-skating series battling to keep their crown.

Former Emmerdale star Hayley Tamaddon makes her Coronation Street debut next week, taking on the role of Steve McDonald's new friend and classmate Andrea.

Andrea has developed a close connection with Steve (Simon Gregson) off screen in recent weeks, but when she turns up at The Rovers for the first time, it soon becomes clear that she wants more than just a friendship. With Michelle Connor instantly suspicious, will there be fireworks ahead?

Here, Hayley chats about her new role and reveals what viewers can expect from Andrea over the next few weeks.

How did you feel about being the new girl on set?
    "I was petrified! It all happened very, very quickly. I had one audition and then the following week, I had a screen test with Simon Gregson and Craig Charles. It was so fast compared to Emmerdale, where I had about five auditions for the role of Delilah. I was really surprised when they said they were offering the role of Andrea to me.

"I was doing a play in Hull at the time and I got a call saying, 'You start in ten days'. Again, that was so fast. I finished my play, had the weekend off and then came to Corrie to start on the Monday. My first scene was in The Rovers, so they threw me in at the deep end but everyone was very welcoming."

Had you been up for any Corrie roles in the past?
    "Never! I feel lucky, really, because to do one soap and then to be able to do another is pretty good. Hopefully I've left the Emmerdale character behind and now people will see something new and different. The two characters are completely different, which is really good news."

How would you describe Andrea?
    "Andrea is sassy but not overly confident. She's also warm and she's loving - at the moment! Andrea has had her heart broken numerous times in the past. She's got a 20-year-old daughter who she had very young, when she was 15 or 16.

"Andrea has struggled like most people do when they have a child at that age, but now she's out to find Mr Right and I don't think she's going to let anybody stand in her way."

So is Steve her Mr Right?
    "She thinks so at the moment, yes, but Steve has no idea! They're friends who've met at college, but in her head, there might be something more on the horizon. Andrea does know that Steve isn't available because she comes straight into the pub and meets Michelle.

"Andrea is nice to Michelle but then she turns round to Steve and says, 'I don't think Michelle likes me'. I think it's probably because Michelle knows Andrea is a single woman and is questioning her intentions. From what I've filmed so far, Andrea hasn't done anything mean or nasty - but that could be something which is on the horizon."

Andrea and Steve have a close friendship
    © ITV
    Andrea and Steve have a close friendship

Are you nervous about fans not liking Andrea if she does make a play for Steve?
    "Well, when I played Delilah I had a woman hit me with a handbag in Selfridges because I ran away with £20,000 worth of Eric Pollard's money! She gave me a right cracking old wallop with a handbag! So I know that happens.

"I suppose I get nervous about the recognition thing and what people will think, but it is part of my job and I understand that. My main hope is that Andrea turns out to be everything that Delilah Dingle wasn't - two totally different characters. It'd be great for me to play something really different."

Have you ever considered going back to Emmerdale?
    "I always thought that Delilah should come back with a child and say to David, 'Here you go - here's your son!' Now I'm in Corrie so that's not going to happen I don't think, though I do know a couple of people who have crossed back and forth between soaps three or four times!

"You never know what the future holds, but I feel so happy and lucky to be part of Coronation Street. It's the biggest soap, so I'm blessed really, especially as hundreds of people went up for this role and they chose me."

What are Simon Gregson and Craig Charles like to work with?
    "They're a laugh a minute. On my first day in The Rovers, I was trying to be really good and not laugh, but just before they called 'action', Craig Charles told a joke that we all laughed at! They're really fun guys and they took me to the pub on my first night after filming. They're lovely, lovely down-to-earth people."

Are you moving to Manchester for the role?
    "I live in London, so I'll be doing my best - as a few of the cast do - to commute. I think with the train journey being two hours, it's really possible to do it. I'll stay here in hotels or whatever when it's necessary, and hopefully that'll be easy. I'm not looking to buy a property or anything - I actually just sold my house in Leeds, and then I got this job!"

Andrea turns up at The Rovers
    © ITV
    Andrea causes tension at The Rovers

Will Andrea's daughter be brought in?
    "I hope so, but I've heard nothing yet. It's nice to have that backstory, because she's come in on her own. It's great that we know Andrea has someone else in her family, as it could path off into different stories. Hopefully we'll meet her."

Could Andrea turn scary in her pursuit of Steve?
    "I hope not, but I have no idea! My brief was just that Andrea's had so many knock-backs and been unlucky in the past, so she thinks it's time for her now. She's gone back to college on the advice of her daughter, as she wants to put herself first.

"Andrea won't let anyone else stand in her way. She's one of the lads, she likes playing darts and playing beer. Steve hasn't come across someone quite like that before. Even though they're just friends, Steve is really afraid of Michelle's reaction and what she might say."

Why does Andrea like Steve so much?
    "In the past she's gone for the wrong type of guy. Now she's just out to find somebody who makes her laugh and who she can have a beer with. Andrea and Steve have been enjoying a laugh after college each night. Andrea has also been helping Steve with his college work, as she's a little bit more clever than he is."

Could there be an argument between Andrea and Michelle?
    "I hope so, because I love scripts like that! I've done a couple of scenes with Beverley Callard and Kym Marsh where eyeballs, stares and little comments are already coming into play. Fingers crossed, as that sort of story is always a good one!"

Where does Andrea live?
    "They haven't said yet! She's not living on the street, but she visits The Rovers at least twice a week at the moment. That does cause some comments from Liz McDonald who says, 'Really? Here again?!' Hopefully Andrea might get a job nearby which will bring her a bit closer."

Andrea makes herself at home.
    © ITV
    Andrea makes herself at home.

What is Andrea's style like?
    "She wears quite revealing clothes - and I chose these! What was I thinking when I chose skintight dresses?! I imagine that as Andrea has a 20-year-old daughter, she likes to keep up with the trends and they choose stuff together. Andrea is definitely not trashy but she wears skinny jeans and dresses with tights. Her attitude is that she's cool and she's trying to keep up with the kids."

Who are you hoping to work more with?
    "I'd love to do more with Beverley Callard. We've done a couple of little bits and after they've said 'cut' we've both said, 'Oh, that was good!' Liz is sticking up for Michelle at the moment and wondering why Andrea keeps coming back to The Rovers. Andrea is taking any opportunity to come into the pub, and Liz is picking up on that."

You've kept quite busy between the two soap roles, haven't you?
    "I have - I've been really lucky. This industry is hard and as an actress you struggle, because there are so many people out of work. When you get a job, it's a celebration.

"I've just done a play for four months, which I felt really lucky to do. I've done musicals, plays and bits of telly, which have allowed me to enjoy a real mix. When you're out of work for six months you panic about how you're going to pay the bills, but then something brilliant comes up and you're back on a roll."

How long are you in Corrie for?
    "I hope it'll be a year. In Corrie, you get six-month contracts but fingers crossed if the public like me, I'll do a year and then we'll see what happens!"

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3...#ixzz2nbf9mU9A

Michelle doesnt look to impressed by the new arrival!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Katy For This Useful Post:

swmc66 (17-12-2013)

Coronation Street's new recruit Hayley Tamaddon looks set to become a permanent face in Weatherfield after impressing show bosses in her role as Andrea Beckett.

The former Emmerdale actress is being given a new six-month deal with the ITV soap after her early scenes proved popular, according to The Sun today (January 12).

Andrea was introduced to the cobbles as a friend of Steve McDonald (Simon Gregson) just before Christmas. Although Andrea has feelings for Steve, she has also been tipped for a future romance with his best friend Lloyd Mullaney (Craig Charles).

Coronation Street's producer Stuart Blackburn praised Tamaddon at a press event for the show earlier this week.

He commented: "We gave Hayley the hardest job - can you sit between Craig Charles, Simon Gregson, Sue Cleaver and be just as funny? She's doing it! The relationship between Steve and Lloyd is so good, but stick Andrea in the middle of those and expect her to hold her ground."

Coronation Street chiefs are reportedly keen to hold on to their female stars following Michelle Keegan's decision to bow out from her role as Tina McIntyre.

Alison King signed a new deal late last year which will see her carry on as Carla Connor for the foreseeable future, while bosses are also eager to keep Catherine Tyldesley's character Eva Price.

she will get with lloyd and then cheat on him with steve

Thread Information