Thread: Holby City Spoilers 8th October 2013

Exclamation Holby City Spoilers 8th October 2013

'Like a Prayer'

Hanssen is all set to take Malick in for a complex operation, when Chantelle is taken critically ill. Hanssen is forced to switch operations and try to save Chantelle's life.

Meanwhile, Jonny and Jac have to deal with a patient who is literally being fought over by his overbearing mother and spoilt fiancée. Whilst they struggle to contain the family, an old friend of Jonny's swoops in as an agency nurse to assist them. But will Jac appreciate the help?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

loubooboo (26-09-2013)

Last edited by alan45; 01-10-2013 at 10:05.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Lives hang in the balance on Holby City in the next two episodes as four of the show's regular characters are involved in a dramatic car crash storyline.

Arthur Digby (Rob Ostlere) and Chantelle Lane (Lauren Drummond) are at the centre of the story as they suffer a horrifying accident while on the way to an awards ceremony.

While driving Chantelle and himself to the event, Arthur tries to tell her that he loves her. However, he becomes so distracted that he doesn't see the trailer in front of him suddenly brake, ploughing the car into the back of the truck.

Witnessing the shocking moment from the car behind, Henrik Hanssen (Guy Henry) swerves his vehicle into a ditch, putting himself and Antoine Malick (Jimmy Akingbola) in jeopardy.

© BBC
    Malick and Arthur after the crash

As a dramatic rescue attempt unfolds, Chantelle is trapped in Arthur's car and Malick is seriously injured while trying to free her. As a result, both need emergency attention back at the hospital.

Later, Hanssen is all set to take Malick in for a complex operation, when Chantelle is taken critically ill. Hanssen is then forced to switch operations and try to save Chantelle's life…

© BBC
    Chantelle needs emergency medical attention

© BBC
    The Holby staff are in shock after the crash

Holby City airs the crash aftermath on Tuesday, October 8 at 8pm on BBC One.
    Last edited by alan45; 01-10-2013 at 10:04.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

lyndapym (01-10-2013), maidmarian (02-10-2013)

'Holby City': Rob Ostlere on Arthur, Chantelle car crash horror

Holby City's latest episode ended with a big cliffhanger as Arthur Digby was about to crash his car into the back of a truck.

The horrifying incident occurred as Arthur was driving with work colleague Chantelle Lane (Lauren Drummond) and tried to tell her that he loves her.

As next week's episode unfolds, the situation becomes even more serious as Antoine Malick (Jimmy Akingbola) is seriously injured while trying to free a trapped Chantelle from the vehicle…

Digital Spy recently caught up with Rob Ostlere, who plays Arthur, to hear his thoughts on the dramatic storyline.

How did you feel about getting such a big storyline?
    "I was very excited, partly because the storyline itself was going to be a challenge and also because I knew I'd be working with Guy Henry, Jimmy Akingbola and Lauren Drummond. I really love working with them as they're so talented, so I learn a lot from them and get to have a good laugh as well!

"Another good thing was that we usually spend most of our time filming in the wards at the hospital, but here we were driving out on location. I've always had a good relationship with the actors I was working with, but being out on-location meant that we could build up a real bond. We also had a fantastic director Richard Signy directing those episodes, which I was really excited by."

Were you able to do any of your own stunt work?
    "We did all have stunt doubles, but I did all of the driving myself up to a certain point. A lot of it you have to do yourself so the scenes look as realistic as possible, but the stunt doubles did the rest. It was fun to be involved, but it was also fun to see what the stunt team did.

"It was also quite confusing because the stunt doubles looked so much like us! The stunt lady for Chantelle looked exactly like Lauren Drummond, which took a little bit of time to get used to!"

Arthur is going to blame himself for this accident. Do you think he's right to feel that way?
    "Well, the vehicle they were driving behind stopped suddenly, but he was distracted and his head was not in the right place at all. He was too busy trying to tell Chantelle that he loves her, so he definitely feels guilt and a sense of responsibility.

"Arthur tries to manage those feelings, because he goes into a state of shock after the crash. He tries to find some kind of job that he can do to help Malick and Chantelle when they need treatment at the hospital, but he's in no fit state to do that at first.

"In the next episode, Arthur is dealing with the physical impact of being in shock, and then the emotion and the guilt takes over. It's a lot for him to deal with."

Does this experience make Arthur's feelings for Chantelle become even stronger?
    "I think so! The fact that she's in this horrific situation definitely brings out a lot of his emotion and his caring side for her. After they've been rushed to hospital, Arthur is desperate to get Hanssen to attend to Chantelle rather than Malick."

What kind of a reaction to this storyline are you expecting from the fans?
    "Well, we've got a lot of the more experienced actors in the cast involved. A lot of the story revolves around Hanssen, and Guy Henry is such a fantastic actor so I think people will be really excited to see his development in the story. It obviously heavily involves Chantelle and Malick too, along with Serena and Michael Spence as they deal with the situation.

"The storyline has also been really well managed and directed. I hope people feel the tension as decisions have to be made over who is the priority in the situation - Chantelle or Malick? There's also the emotional aspect of trying to treat colleagues and friends, so it's going to be a really interesting episode with some great performances in it."

Have you watched the episode yourself in advance?
    "Yes, we can watch the episodes in advance. It was great to watch these ones back and the scenes are going to be really exciting, dramatic and scary. There are also some really moving scenes at the end of the next episode, where Hanssen is dealing with the situation. I'm really pleased with how it's all turned out."

Are fans supporting the Arthur and Chantelle pairing?
    "I think there's a split! At first people either thought they were really sweet together, or they thought, 'For goodness sake Chantelle, do not go with that dweeb!'

"Everything is coming to a head at this point, as just before the crash, Arthur wanted to admit his feelings. Chantelle's qualities have made him realise that he doesn't need to be like Hanssen - all cold and logical. There's a human quality to being a doctor, and Chantelle shows that in the way she is with patients. I hope people will see that both characters support each other and they learn a lot from each other.

"It's been a really interesting one, because it's a relationship that has never quite happened, which is sometimes more interesting than a romance itself."

Whatever happens, we know that Lauren is bowing out as Chantelle. How are you feeling about that?
    "It's just a natural part of the show, I suppose. When I started, Joe Milson was just leaving and I've also seen Jing Lusi leave. It's sad, because we all get on really well and it's also a shame to lose those character relationships. Thinking that I'll never do another scene with Chantelle is really sad! But we will still keep in contact and see each other. It's such a cliché to say it, but it's really true of Holby that it's like a big family on set."

Will Chantelle's exit result in a new direction for Arthur?
    "I think part of Arthur's problem has been that he just wants to be a brilliant doctor, but he's never come across this feeling before - his love for Chantelle. In some ways it's really compromised his ability as a doctor and affected his focus. Arthur is going to miss her so much, but perhaps his constant thinking about her can now go. I don't always know what's coming up, so I'm excited myself to see what direction we go in next."

How do you feel about all of the new faces joining Holby City?
    "I've been working with Louise Delamere, John Michie and Camillia Arfwedson who started very recently. We have two new people starting soon as well.

"I was the new person a year ago, and I really loved coming into the show as everyone welcomed me. I was able to settle in really quickly. It's always exciting to have new characters around as they're all fantastically talented. I'm excited to see what happens with their characters and it should change what happens to Arthur too if he goes off in a different direction."

Thread Information