Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brad Willis

Exclamation Brad Willis

Neighbours' Brad Willis will discover that his daughter Imogen is suffering in silence with a terrible eating disorder this week.

Brad and Terese will be forced to recognise that they are partly to blame for Imogen's illness after she collapses as the strain of her personal issues become too much to handle.

Digital Spy recently chatted to Kip Gamblin, who plays Brad, to hear about his character's reaction to Imogen's problems, life at Neighbours, and Brad's unresolved issues with Lauren Turner.

How are you enjoying your role on Neighbours?
    "I am loving it - it has been great. They are a very warm and friendly bunch. It is a very established show and I feel privileged to be a part of it. It has been a really great seven months so far."

How did the role come about? Is a part on Neighbours something you've always thought about?
    "Well, I actually auditioned for an earlier role – one of the Turners. The casting agent for Neighbours said to me that there was another role coming up that I might be suited for. I had a couple of call backs for that one and they decided they wanted to bring me in."

Is it more daunting when you're playing a character who the viewers already knew beforehand?
    "It can and it can't be. You can get too involved in trying to impersonate or trying to do justice to another person's work, so you kind of have to run with your own idea of what the character is. I try not to think too much about living up to expectations. As an actor, you have to believe in what you do and I think if I make him as real and as natural as possible, then that is the main thing."

What sort of reaction have you had from viewers?
    "Well, everyone is excited! I've been in TV now for a long time. I've been working on a pretty broad range of TV shows and generally everyone is very positive about seeing me on TV again."

Has your time at Home and Away helped you to be well-equipped for Neighbours, or are the two shows quite different?
    "Well, it is a genre that actually not a lot of people can handle. Working in a series where we are filming five or six episodes a week, I guess that having already been a show with that many episodes and that type of pace has sort of prepared me in a way where I know what is expected of me."

Imogen has an eating disorder and UK viewers will see Brad and Terese finally discover the truth about it this week. How will this impact on Brad and the family?
    "I think as a father finding out that one of your children is suffering from a disease like that is a very extreme scenario but also quite prevalent in this day and age. A lot of girls have a lot of pressure on them with body image and those sorts of things, and it is not uncommon for them to be exposed to these issues. I played it in the sense that any father would. He loves his daughter very much and it is a serious disease and problem. Imogen is such a high achiever and it is confronting. It shows the complexity of the family and the relationships.

"Ariel (Imogen) did lots of research. She's a very amazing young woman for an 18-year-old. I have worked with a lot of actors now over the years and Ariel comes up with some crackers. She is a very wise young lady."

Brad realises Imogen is very sick.
    © Channel 5
    Brad realises Imogen is very sick.

Does Brad blame himself at all for Imogen's problems?
    "I think any parent would ask questions why. It is hard not to think, 'Is it my fault?' 'Is it an attention-seeking thing?' 'Am I not showing her enough attention?' Brad is quite swept up with Josh's swimming training but by no means does that mean he is not interested with his daughter's life. Imogen has just always been the easier one. She's an A-grade student, she's intelligent, she's smart, but sometimes these things can spring out under the least expected circumstances."

Imogen often feels neglected in the family in comparison to her twin brother Josh. Could we see this start to change?
    "Yeah, I have actually been feeling that from different people and it seems to be the viewers' perspective that they don't pay her much attention. I think the writers, when they created these characters, certainly thought that it could come across that they are not concerned with her, or that they ignore her."

Will this rock his relationship with Terese, or, will they unite in their efforts to get her the help she needs?
    "I think they love each other enough to sit down and sort it out for the sake of their daughter and her health and success in life. I think Brad and Therese have a very good relationship in the sense that they can talk to each other and discuss things from an equal standing and then make the right choices like most parents try to do."

Over here in the UK, we have just seen Robbo die as a result of the hit and run incident. Imogen and Josh are both suspects - does Brad believe one of his children could be capable of this?
    "I don't think so. Not really. Not his own children."

Brad and Lauren's paths cross again.
    © Channel 5
    Brad and Lauren's paths cross again.

Lauren clearly has unresolved feelings for Brad. Is he aware of this?
    "She has, yes. But no, he is completely unaware! He obviously has a connection with her in the sense that they were good friends and she is the girl next door that he has a history with. At the moment, he is very swept up in his own family life but I definitely think there is a flame there because they were such good friends. There are a lot of unresolved feelings."

Does he feel the same way?
    "Well, let's just wait and see…"

Brad and Terese have another daughter called Piper who is at boarding school - would you like to see her brought in at some point?
    "Yes, I would love to! I think some of the viewers will be surprised to see some of the storylines, which I can't actually reveal to you. Let's just say that there are some complexities to the scenario!"

We know that there was a big Neighbours party recently where you were all told about future storylines. Are you excited about what's coming up for the Willis family in the longer-term?
    "I am! I am very, very excited. I think for the first six months when you have brought a family in like that, it is quite intense and like you said, the scrutiny of the characters and what is going on there. But now I feel like because we have got that six month period over with, we can start getting into some really meaty storylines and I am really looking forward to the next twelve months there. It is going to be great. Especially in regards to children and past scenarios, and families and how people deal with unexpected issues that arise in family situations. I think that is where the crux of the great drama on the show is - those family interactions."

I like him, he's made me forget that Scott Michaelson used to play Brad. I must say, I prefer Kip.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirjam View Post
    I like him, he's made me forget that Scott Michaelson used to play Brad. I must say, I prefer Kip.
    he will always be scott from home and away to me

Quote Originally Posted by Mirjam View Post
    he will always be scott from home and away to me

I've never watched Home and Away

Neighbours' Brad Willis will leave son Josh in a difficult situation when he resigns as his swimming coach in an upcoming storyline.

Brad's drastic decision comes following Josh's lack of interest in his swimming training as he becomes distracted by a more lavish lifestyle.

As Josh's (Harley Bonner) public profile starts to build, he becomes increasingly focused on photoshoots and fame rather than his training, which infuriates Brad (Kip Gamblin) and concerns his girlfriend Amber.

When Josh refuses to take any responsibility for his poor performance in his swimming sessions, Brad's patience finally runs out and he fires Josh just a week before selection trials begin for the Commonwealth Games.

Brad's actions will undoubtedly leave Josh in a difficult position, but when Terese takes a softer approach and discovers the real reason behind Josh's behaviour, will Brad change his mind?

A dramatic few weeks for Brad Willis kicks off on Neighbours next Monday (June 9) as he shares a secret kiss with his old flame Lauren Turner as they continue to search for their long-lost daughter.

Brad and Lauren's intimate moment has the potential to cause big trouble for the Turner and Willis families, but that's not the only twist in store for the former couple as upcoming episodes will see the long-awaited arrival of their daughter Paige, played by Olympia Valance.

Digital Spy recently caught up with Kip Gamblin, who plays Brad, to hear more about his character's future.

What has the long-lost daughter storyline been like to explore?
    "I really love it. It's great to have a bit of drama! I think the story also shows that Brad has got some integrity because he wants to be a decent father. He really wants to find his daughter and be there for her.

"There are scenes coming up where Brad and Lauren go to Adelaide to search for their daughter, and I really enjoyed those ones in particular. It was almost like we were doing an investigative show in those scenes, which I really enjoyed. Kate Kendall and I had a great time getting out of the studio, out of our comfort zone and into the great unknown."

At the moment Brad is very focused on the search, while Lauren has given up. Why do they feel so differently about the situation?
    "It's been such an emotional rollercoaster ride for Lauren and it's been so disruptive to her family. From Lauren's point of view, it's been too much and a real drain for her, so she's given up. I think it's nice that Brad is the one who is taking the initiative and showing how much this means to him."

Why isn't Brad confiding in his wife Terese about what he's up to?
    "Brad has realised that Terese isn't really supporting his desire to find his daughter. In order to keep up a peaceful front at home, Brad has decided to take the search on himself and do it without telling anyone else.

"This situation has been tearing away at everyone's peace of mind, so Brad doesn't want that to continue. He'd prefer to come home with some great news and keep everyone else out of it until then."

Brad and Lauren share a kiss in Adelaide next week. Were you surprised when you found out that would happen?
    "I was a bit surprised, because I think Brad is a faithful husband. In this case, it's been an emotional couple of days for Brad and Lauren. He's just trying to be a good friend to her, as Lauren is so upset and he goes to comfort her.

"When you look at the scene, nobody really initiates the kiss - it's just a moment where they fall into each other's arms. I don't think either of them mean to be underhand or unfaithful, it's just something that happens when they're very emotional."

Does that mean they won't have an affair?
    "I don't think they will, but you never really know in Neighbours and there is a lot of history between the two characters. They're quite close, so who's to say what will happen? They definitely have a bit of an old flame with each other, but then I think they both also love their current partners."

Terese has to find out about the kiss at some point! Could her marriage to Brad survive that?
    "I hope so, but knowing Terese, it will be quite scary because she's a tough cookie! I think Brad will definitely be on the receiving end of a semi-tornado at some point! The truth has to come out sooner or later, so I think the viewers are going to have to hold onto their hats for that one!"

What has your new on-screen daughter Olympia been like to work with so far?
    "Olympia is fantastic. She's a bit of a wildfire and she definitely has a lot of personality! Olympia is a very gregarious young lady, which is nice because it means that she's settled in very quickly. She definitely speaks her mind too. The character on screen is not far from Olympia in real life - she's a firebrand!

"At first Paige keeps her identity a secret, but eventually of course it's going to come out. When Brad finds out that Paige is his daughter, I think we'll see again that he's a good guy - he wants to be the best he can be for her in the circumstances.

"Of course people will be a bit hurt and angry that they didn't find out who Paige was straight away, but Brad is a pretty understanding guy and I'm sure he'll make the best of a bad situation."

Do you think Imogen and Josh will welcome Paige into the family?
    "I think it will be quite difficult. They're teenagers and the Willises are a close-knit happy family already. I think accepting a situation like this would be difficult for most teenagers, so it definitely won't be smooth sailing in the Willis house for a while. But with a lot of love and understanding, I think Imogen and Josh will come to accept that Paige is a part of the family."

Do you know of any plans to bring Doug and Pam Willis back into the show again following their recent visit?
    "I really hope that happens. Sue Jones who plays Pam is a fantastic actor and so strong. It's the same with Terence Donovan who plays Doug - he's such a lovely guy to work with and has such a lot of experience. I think they would be a great addition to the main cast. It'd be great if they could come back and do a lot more."

How do you feel about playing a character who has such a strong history within the show?
    "It's great. It is quite challenging to take over a role that has been established before, but you can't worry too much about trying to be like the Brad of old. It's important to focus on who Brad is now. I enjoy a challenge and I've enjoyed every moment that I've been here, so I hope the viewers do too!"

Brad has two other children - Ned and Piper. Are you hoping they'll be brought in?
    "I wouldn't be surprised if they are! It's great that those characters are out there and they can possibly be brought in. I'd be quite excited for Ned and Piper to come in, as it'd allow us to run stories with other Willis characters. That'd be fantastic."

A lot of the fans have noticed a chemistry between Terese and Paul Robinson! How would you feel if that was ever explored more?
    "I've seen that chemistry as well! They've got some similarities in their characters, as they're both quite ambitious and business-like. Paul is also a bit of a flirt and he hasn't got the greatest history with women, but I'm sure he'd meet his match in Terese!"

Are you hoping to stick around on Neighbours for a long time?
    "I am - I really hope so. I'm really excited that we're coming up to the show's 30th anniversary and I've been hearing that we have some fantastic things planned for that next year, so I'd very much like to be a part of it. The producers are keeping their plans for the anniversary quite close to their chests at the moment, but let's just say there's going to be a few surprises…"

Neighbours schoolteacher Brad Willis will resort to unscrupulous methods as he desperately tries to keep his son Josh out of jail.

Brad (Kip Gamblin) takes a drastic step after Chris Pappas is admitted to hospital following a shock seizure, which makes the case against Josh look more serious than ever.

With Josh (Harley Bonner) facing a possible prison sentence for his 'coward punch' attack on Chris, his lawyer Toadie Rebecchi suggests trying to delay the upcoming court hearing until they have a firm answer over what is wrong with Chris.

The only problem with Toadie's plan is that a defeated Josh refuses to cooperate as he just wants the case to be over with.

Still determined to help his son, Brad decides to find another way of securing an adjournment and realises that crucial evidence 'going missing' would guarantee this.

Despite the ethical implications, Brad takes a look through Josh's evidence case file and steals his lab report from the folder.

A Neighbours insider teased: "Will Brad's actions help his son or make everything worse? One thing's for sure, there are big consequences for Imogen when Toadie thinks she is responsible for the missing evidence and fires her."

Neighbours airs these scenes next week on Eleven in Australia and late November on Channel 5 in the UK.

What a family eh.
    A son who is a screw up. A shrew of a wife who reads Laurens journal, and then blames all of her sons actions on everyone but her beloved son. A spoilt brat of a a daughter who thinks the world owes her a living because she`s so perfect.in her own litle world.
    And now there`s Brad who steals evidence because he doesn`t like how his sons trial is going. And ignoring the fact that a young man nearly lost his life because of his son. Not to mention Brad is still lusting after Lauren and uses his newly found daughter as an excuse to be around Lauren.
    Stick with the Turner family Paige...they`re better than the Willis family by miles.

Thanks for letting me vent.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TaintedLove For This Useful Post:

badirene (03-11-2014), Dazzle (27-10-2014), tammyy2j (04-11-2014)

Desperate dad
    Brad breaks the law in order to save Josh from an almost-certain jail stint.

Josh’s sentencing hearing is fast approaching and as the Willises fear the worst, Brad prepares to take desperate action to try and keep his son out of prison. From the moment he realised he was the one who drunkenly assaulted Chris (James Mason), Josh (Harley Bonner) has been utterly consumed by guilt.

As Chris battles with his injuries from the attack, Josh is happy to take whatever punishment he is given. As far as he’s concerned, it’s the least he deserves. At the same time, he’s determined to do whatever he can to make life easier for Chris. Respecting Chris’ wishes, Josh tries to steer clear and give Chris a chance to recover.

When Chris’ job at the garage comes under threat, Josh secretly steps up to try to save it but Josh’s thoughtful plan is derailed, on upcoming Neighbours, when he has an accident while lending a hand at the garage. He’s rushed to hospital but tries to stick to the cover story that he was involved in a skateboarding accident. When the truth of Josh’s actions comes to light, an annoyed Chris thinks Josh’s actions are an effort to seek forgiveness.

Nate (Meyne Wyatt) knows that Josh is trying to absolve his own guilt, so he tracks down Josh and tells him that nothing can undo the punch – all he can do is accept the consequences of his actions and Josh plans to do just that.

While Toadie (Ryan Moloney) advises delaying Josh’s sentencing hearing until Chris is out of hospital, Josh refuses, much to the dismay of his family. Reeling from Josh’s determination to punish himself, Brad (Kip Gamblin) enlists Imogen’s (Ariel Kaplan) help to see if there might be another legal avenue to push for an adjournment.

Imogen rattles off a list of ways this might happen, such as important evidence going missing but none of the options she comes up with apply to Josh’s case. Brad is greatly disheartened by the news but once alone he decides to take matters into his own hands. In an urgent and poorly thought out move, Brad steals Josh’s lab report from his evidence folder. It’s the last resort for a desperate father determined to do the best thing for his son no matter what it takes, but the consequences could be disastrous.

Source: TV Soap 23rd October 2014

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gillyH1981 For This Useful Post:

TaintedLove (04-11-2014)

Thread Information