Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Imogen Willis

Exclamation Imogen Willis

Neighbours teen Imogen Willis will panic when Susan Kennedy realises that she has an eating disorder.

Susan (Jackie Woodburne) makes the discovery about Imogen when she starts to spend more time with the Willis family, quickly sensing that all is not right.

Ariel Kaplan, who plays Imogen, told TV Week: "It's discovered that Imogen has an eating disorder she's been keeping from everyone. It's actually Susan who finds out. She comes over to the house, sees the family dynamic and realises how disregarded Imogen is.

"She wants to make sure Imogen is okay, but soon finds out she isn't and that Imogen has an eating disorder."

When Susan tries to raise the issue, Imogen firmly insists that her suspicions are incorrect.

Kaplan explained: "Imogen is a smart girl, so she's scared to be seen as vulnerable and weak. Having an eating disorder scares her. So the immediate reaction is to deny it - it's a defence mechanism."

As the story progresses, viewers will see that Imogen's problem is closely linked to the issues she is facing at home.

"It's so common for young women to struggle with eating disorders," Kaplan added. "But what I liked about it was that, for Imogen, it's not a superficial thing, it's about control."

Neighbours airs these scenes next week on Eleven in Australia, and in September on Channel 5 in the UK.

Eating her feelings

Imogen Willis has largely flown under the radar since her family arrrived in Erinsborough, overshadowed by her brother, Joshua (Harley Bonner) and bickering parents. However, this week in Neighbours, we learn the lack of attention paid to Imogen has started to take it's toll on the teen. "It's discovered that Imogen has an eating disorder she's been keeping secret from everyone," Ariel Kaplan, who plays Imogen, says. "It's actually Susan who finds out. She comes over to the house, sees the family dynamic and realises how disregarded Imogen is." Ariel explains. "She wants to make sure Imogen is OK but soon finds out she isn't and that Imogen has an eating disorder.

Imogen instinctively retreats into denial mode, pushing Susan (Jackie Woodburne) away and laughing off the suggestion. "Imogen is a smart girl, so she's scared to be seen as vulnerable and weak," the 19-year-old actress says. "Having an eating disorder scares her. "So, the immediate reaction is to deny it. It's a defence mechanism." Eating disorders and body image are hot topics with teenage girls in Australia and Ariel admits she was pleased with the way Neighbours handled such sensative issues. It's so common for young women to struggle with eating disorders," Ariel says, but what I liked about it was that, for Imogen, it's not a superficial thing, it's about control.

"I really wanted to do the storyline justice, so I went to the Butterfly Foundation and got as much imformation from them as possible." It's also an issue that hits close to home for the young actress, who has grown up in a family of performers. Ariel's older sisters are both actresses; Dena, 24, is familiar to audiences thanks to her work in ABC's Dance Academy while also appearing in the short-lived Tricky Business. Meanwhile, Gemma-Ashley, 27, has appeared in Network Ten's Mr & Mrs Murder as well as Offspring. "Coming from a family of three girls involved in dancing, music and acting, eating disorders and body image issues were always around us." Ariel explains. "We spoke about it - it was something we noticed. It was confronting."

Source: TV Week 3rd - 9th August 2013

Quote Originally Posted by gillyH1981 View Post
    It's so common for young women to struggle with eating disorders," Ariel says, but what I liked about it was that, for Imogen, it's not a superficial thing, it's about control.
    This kind of poor research really annoys me

Eating disorders are NEVER superficial (if it's superficial, it's not an eating disorder) and it's a myth that they're about control. Believe me, if you suffer an eating disorder, your life spins out of your control. EDs destroy lives and can't be recovered from in a matter of months (or even weeks) - as shown on soaps.

I agree there is no control, that is why it is so serious.

Not great research, It is a very sensitive subject and should be tackled with care

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Katy For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (31-07-2013)

Neighbours bosses agreed to tackle the issue of eating disorders after cast member Eve Morey suggested the idea, it has been revealed.

Ramsay Street newcomer Imogen Willis (Ariel Kaplan) is shown to be struggling with bulimia in a new storyline which has already begun on screen in Australia.

Further down the line, Morey's character Sonya Rebecchi will also notice a guest teenager's unhealthy obsession with exercise and dieting.

Morey encouraged the Neighbours team to shed light on the topic of eating disorders based on her own struggle with body image.

She commented: "I have yet to meet a woman that hasn't at some point in her life experienced an unhealthy attitude towards her body and this truly alarms me.

"I've had my share of body image related issues, and as a teenager it was difficult for me to find someone in the media that looked like me, and I'm still shocked by the amount of positive validation I received for my 'shrinkage' since it took not really eating to get there."

Morey recently spoke at a gathering of high school students about her experiences, and is hoping to encourage young people to consider why they value certain body images.

She added: "If the answer lies in health and wellbeing, that's wonderful but if the answer lies in a sense of validation or self-worth, they need to find an acceptance in themselves that lies beyond the physical."

After taking on board Morey's suggestions, Neighbours chiefs consulted with The Butterfly Foundation, which offers support to Australians experiencing eating disorders.

Executive producer Richard Jasek said: "Neighbours has tackled this topic in different forms over its many years on air, however it's unfortunately an issue that is still extremely prevalent and needs to be continually addressed. I commend Eve for pushing forward with the idea and also sharing her experience."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (20-08-2013)

Neighbours teen Imogen Willis collapses later this month as her personal problems intensify.

The stressed-out schoolgirl has been secretly struggling with an eating disorder in recent weeks, behaving dangerously when it comes to food as she desperately wants to feel in control of something in her life.

Imogen (Ariel Kaplan) has felt underappreciated by her family for quite some time. However, this will soon be the least of her worries when bad boy Robbo Slade is knocked down in a hit and run - and police believe that her car was used in the attack.

Although Imogen tries her best to answer police questions as best she can, she panics when she hears that detectives want to speak to her for a second time.

The pressure of the situation is clearly growing on Imogen, and when she gets a disappointing exam result, it all becomes too much. Soon afterwards, her father Brad (Kip Gamblin) finds her collapsed, coughing up blood…

Imogen's eating disorder leads her to collapse.
    © Channel 5
    Imogen's eating disorder leads her to collapse.

Brad rushes to Imogen.
    © Channel 5
    Brad rushes to Imogen.

Brad calls for help.
    © Channel 5
    Brad calls for help.

Brad realises Imogen is very sick.
    © Channel 5
    Brad realises Imogen is very sick.

Neighbours airs these scenes on Thursday, September 26 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

Also ahead on Neighbours, there are emotional scenes ahead at the Willis house as Imogen finally breaks down over her eating disorder.

Imogen's mother Terese (Rebekah Elmaloglou) is deeply concerned when she stumbles across her daughter's secret stash of junk food, which is clear evidence of her bulimia.

Terese is horrified to realise that Imogen (Ariel Kaplan) has been suffering in silence for so long, recognising that she and Brad are partly to blame for this.

When a frantic Terese tracks Imogen down, it's just as the troubled teenager has finished another food binge and is in an emotional state. With Imogen at rock bottom, she finally admits that she has a problem…

Imogen is caught binge eating
    © Channel 5
    Imogen is caught binge eating

Imogen admits she has a problem
    © Channel 5
    Imogen admits she has a problem

Terese tries to comfort Imogen
    © Channel 5
    Terese tries to comfort Imogen

Neighbours airs these scenes on Wednesday, October 2 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

Over on Neighbours, Imogen Willis becomes increasingly suspicious of Gemma Reeves as the teacher's strange behaviour continues.

Imogen (Ariel Kaplan) becomes convinced that Gem is treating her and the other girls unfairly at school and lodges an official complaint with Susan.

Susan investigates Imogen's allegations and after talking to students and comparing the marks with the previous semester, Susan concludes that Imogen could be right and presents Gem with the evidence.

Gem immediately becomes defensive, but Susan doesn't back down and advises her to lift her game.

Bailey is taken by Gem's flattery.
    © Channel 5
    Bailey is taken by Gem's flattery.

Gem takes Bailey's hand.
    © Channel 5
    Gem takes Bailey's hand.

Later on, Bailey lashes out in defence of Gem, who he is harbouring a crush on, and Imogen soon realises what is going on.

However, Imogen is shocked to witness a tactile moment between Bailey and Gem at Lassiters Lake. Has Gem crossed the line?

Imogen spies Gem and Bailey holding hands
    © Channel 5
    Imogen spies Gem and Bailey.

Imogen is made suspicious by what she sees.
    © Channel 5
    Imogen is made suspicious by what she sees.

Neighbours airs these scenes on Thursday, December 12 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

Neighbours character Imogen Willis is set to be involved in a love triangle with a newcomer.

Imogen (Ariel Kaplan) meets university student Isaac (Josh Burton) when she finds him squatting at Number 24 Ramsay Street, where the Kapoor family used to live.

As they start to bond over their shared interest, Mason (Taylor Glockner) gets jealous and informs Isaac that Imogen is still in school.

Ariel Kaplan, who plays the schoolgirl, told TV Week: "Imogen likes that Isaac makes her feel mature.

"She likes that he's older and a bit forbidden too!"

However, when Isaac tells Imogen that her age doesn't matter to him, Mason admits he wants to be with Imogen.

Despite being wary of getting back together with Mason, she is still sure there's a connection between them.

"They can't deny their feelings," Kaplan said. "No matter how hard they try."

Neighbours actress Ariel Kaplan recently celebrated her first milestone with the show, as she has now been filming her role as Imogen Willis for a year.

Since moving onto Ramsay Street, Imogen has already featured in some big storylines including her struggle with an eating disorder, a feud with teacher Gemma Reeves and more recently a new romance with Mason Turner.

With the drama for Imogen and the Willis family far from over, Digital Spy recently chatted to Ariel about what 2014 will have in store.

How would you sum up your first 12 months at Neighbours?
    "It's been incredible. It really is like the dream job! I think it takes a little while to settle in and get used to how quickly the show films, as it's such a different experience from anything else I've ever worked on. After a few weeks, though, everyone on the show just felt like a family and now I get to go to work every day with my best friends. I definitely can't complain - I think I'm pretty much the luckiest girl in the world!"

Are you pleased with the viewer reaction to Imogen?
    "I am - I feel really lucky! I love Imogen and as soon as I read about the character for the first time in the audition, I could see that she was such a cool girl. She's very intelligent and she's not afraid to be strong and independent.

"A lot of TV shows and movies these days can portray teenage girls as quite superficial, but Imogen is so not like that. I'm really thrilled as I think she's a really positive role model. I'm very glad that people don't seem to mind her so much!"

We've recently been seeing Imogen and Mason develop a relationship. Do you think they make a good match?
    "I do, even though they're such polar opposites. I think it's one of those situations where opposites attract. They're a really cute couple and I think everyone's really rooting for them, because Imogen has never really had a romance before and Mason has had some pretty horrible relationships in the past!

"They're really good for each other, but they're also very young. It's been about eight months of them going back and forth with each other, so there's definitely something there and I was always rooting for them!"

Obviously we know Mason is leaving the show, so are you sad that the romance didn't go further?
    "I was sad, because Taylor [Glockner, who played Mason] and I had worked so closely for all of the time that I'd been on the show. You sort of hoped that eventually they'd get a happy ending, but at the same time, it's Neighbours so even if Mason had stayed we probably wouldn't have been happy for too long! I was upset that they didn't get a bit more of a chance, but only because Taylor and I are such great mates so it was always fun to play their scenes."

Could there be a new love interest on the horizon for Imogen?
    "I'm sure someone will come along at some point, but as of yet, Imogen has learnt that maybe a relationship isn't really what she's looking for at the moment. She's had quite a rollercoaster of a year and she's learned a lot about herself. Coming up this year, Imogen is pretty happy being independent and by herself."

What else is coming next for her?
    "A really big thing for Imogen is just finding herself. Last year was all about discovering her issues and recovering from them, so this year she's in Year 12 and she's got to focus on the stress of that. It's what Imogen has worked for her whole life, as she's such an intelligent girl.

"Imogen will be dealing with those school pressures, but there's also going to be quite a lot of Willis family drama as always. She's going to have to deal with the stress of that, the pressure of whether she's ready for a new boy, and the pressure of her brother and best friend still being together as a couple. There's a lot going on for her, and I think it's going to come to a bit of a collision at some point…"

The scene last year (pictured above) where Imogen broke down in front of Terese over her eating disorder really stood out. How did you feel about filming that storyline?
    "It was a really full-on storyline. From the day I was told about it, I felt really honoured and I knew that I had to do everything I could to make sure that it was as believable and real as possible. It's so frequent these days for girls to go through this, so I think it was an important issue for the show to address.

"I did a lot of research and a lot of background work, so when I got round to filming that breakdown scene, I had a good idea of what Imogen would be going through and I just felt that I had to do it justice. More than anything I just felt really blessed to have the opportunity to do that."

Did you get a big reaction from the viewers when those scenes aired?
    "Absolutely. I think when Neighbours does confront these real-life issues, that's when the audience responds the most. I received so much love and support after those scenes, and still to this day I'll get messages on Twitter from fans who say that I helped them when they were going through the same thing. That's honestly the biggest thing I could wish for. Acting's obviously a great job in itself, but if you can actually reach people and help them, that makes it extra special."

Even though she's in recovery, do you hope the writers continue to explore those issues for Imogen?
    "Definitely. It is something that people live with every day and it doesn't go away overnight. A character can't go through something negative on screen for too long, otherwise it becomes difficult to watch, but when we were filming I made sure that I said it's not something she could completely recover from. So even filming today, I had a scene where Imogen was still filling out her food journal. I think they'll continue to show that the issue is still there and it's always going to be a part of her life."

Neighbours have recently promised some big bombshells for the Willis and Turner families. Will Imogen be involved in those?
    "She definitely will. This is actually one of the things that causes Imogen to have another freak-out later in the year. There's going to be a lot of drama between the Willis and Turner families. It's been boiling since the first day we arrived on the Street, and when it finally explodes, it's definitely going to affect Imogen and all of the kids…"

What are your on-screen family Harley (Josh), Rebekah (Terese) and Kip (Brad) like to work with?
    "They're amazing. I always say that my favourite days of filming are when we're doing family scenes at the Willis house. Rebekah and Kip are absolutely the funniest two human beings I know! Harley and I are also like best friends - we spend pretty much every minute of every day together. I adore getting to work with them all and it feels like we're a real family. We'll be on set together and the crew will say, 'Oh God, these four are so loud!'"

Who are you closest to on set?
    "It's so hard because I love everyone, but I would definitely say that I spend the most time with Harley. Besides him, I'm really close to Saskia who plays Georgia and Jenna who plays Amber. Playing best friends has actually helped me and Jenna to become like best friends in real life! I'm also super close with Ash who played Kate.

"The interesting thing is that there's such a big age range on set, so I'll be hanging out with Colette Mann who plays Sheila in the morning and then Morgan Baker who plays Callum at night!"

How did you feel about saying goodbye to Taylor and Ashleigh recently?
    "I definitely cried, especially when Ash left! As soon as I started, Ash was like an older sister to me and she really took me under her wing. We spent a lot of time together, so it was hard to see her go.

"It was the same with Taylor, as we worked together so much and we actually went away together with Harley during the production break after Taylor finished filming. We had the best time. I know how talented Taylor and Ash are, and they're both over in LA now so I have no doubt that they're just going to smash it and get new roles. More importantly than anything, they're both hard workers and I think they were both ready to move on."

Would you like to work with some of the Willis' who used to be in the show?
    "Definitely. There's something really beautiful about the fact that our family has a history on the show. I love that we're always mentioning family members who could possibly come back, so we've all been keeping our fingers crossed for some Willis family action!"

How long would you like to stay on the show for? Do you share the same US ambitions as the departed cast?
    "When we joined the show, the whole Willis family signed on for quite an extended contract and agreed to a couple of years, so I'd definitely like to carry on with that. You never know what could happen as that is changeable and things do happen, but I'd definitely like to stay around for a while. I think you learn a lot from being on Neighbours and I'm so in love with the whole cast, so I can't see myself wanting to leave them too soon!

"At the same time, both of my sisters are also in the industry and they've both gone over to America. My sister is in LA at the moment and has actually been hanging out with Ash, so we're all very close! I'd also love to take the opportunity to audition overseas and see what comes of it. But who knows what will happen? I also love working in Australia, so it'll just depend on where the work is."

How did you and your sisters get into the industry?
    "Both of my sisters are older than me, so I was born into the world of dancing competitions and singing lessons and we all very much started with that. Also my dad was a musician, my mum and grandma were ballerinas, and my grandpa was an actor. It was almost like we didn't really know anything else!

"I started off doing dancing and singing and worked my way into musical theatre. I worked from the age of 7 up until I was about 13, and only then did I really start auditioning for TV roles. I fell in love with that and since then I've tried to juggle both, because I love singing and dancing as well. It's just about finding the opportunities when they come along."

Do you get a lot of feedback from the UK fans?
    "I do and I love it so much. I came to London before I started the show, as I was touring Europe for four months. Out of everywhere, London was my favourite place. I still can't believe there are people in the UK actually watching me and I love it when I get tweets from the UK. I'd actually like to go back to London and live there at some point.

"It's pretty cool to think that we're in this little suburban area in the middle of nowhere in Melbourne, but people across the other side of the world are watching and enjoying it. It's really heartwarming."

Thread Information