Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amanda Mealing to reprise Connie role

Casualty star Amanda Mealing has spoken out about Connie Beauchamp's sad exit and teased what fans can expect from her return.

Connie left the ED under a very dark cloud in tonight's series finale (August 10), after finally confiding in Charlie Fairhead about her addiction.

Viewers have seen Connie make a number of shocking moves over the last few weeks in a bid to hide her sad addiction to prescription drugs.

Despite Connie's best efforts to keep her secret hidden, things came to a head in tonight's dramatic scenes and she finally told Charlie what had been going on.

Horrified by her actions, Charlie took the tough approach with Connie and told her to leave the ED immediately.

Discussing the sad scenes, Amanda – who plays Connie – said to Digital Spy: "Charlie was her last hope. She knew that if he said no, she was on her own.

"She knows that there is no one left to help her. She has to do something about it. This is her rock bottom and when you hit rock bottom, you have to admit to yourself where you are. And that’s where the journey of recuperation begins.

"It is so sad to see this happen to such a beautifully strong, independent woman. I’ve always been so proud to have an example of a woman who’s independent of a man, which isn’t the usual portrayal on film and TV."

Amanda added: "Connie is strong. She is capable. She is independent. She is not the usual portrayal of the wife, the mother, the lover – you know, the over-40 woman who’s incapable of being able to use the internet.

"She is absolutely the opposite to that. So we are leading the way in all these concerns. We are now showing who I think is the perfect example of this story, which is usually the strongest of people, the ones that go that bit further than anyone else. That is why they are so successful.

"But also when it comes to someone in need of help, they also go further than anyone else, because they’re reluctant to ask for help. They believe that they’re strong enough to overcome it. Whereas in situations like this, being strong is probably the worst thing, because you’re the last one to be helped. The last person she does ask is Charlie."

The good news, however, is that Connie hasn't gone for good – with Amanda due to return to filming over the next few weeks.

As Casualty films approximately four months in advance, this means that Connie won't be back on screens until early 2020. However, Amanda has promised exciting times ahead for when her popular alter-ego does return.

"We are resetting Connie, which is really exciting for me," Amanda said. "We’ve seen her vulnerable side, but I am now pushing to get back into that strong, strident Connie that viewers love.

"I go back to work very soon, so she will be off screen for a while. But she will come back so much stronger. When you hit rock bottom, there’s no one else left but you. You have to look at yourself, and that’s what she does. She has a chance to look at herself."

Discussing whether Charlie and Duffy can forgive Connie, Amanda said: "I don't think he should. What I said to the execs is that it should take a long time for Charlie to forgive her.

"I think it would take something major, and even then, I think Charlie is really the one that needs to say, 'Connie, you need to forgive yourself' – he needs to be the one who gives her permission. I think that would be the only way for full redemption."

Casualty will kick off its brand new series on Saturday, August 17 with another highly dramatic episode you won't want to miss.

Digital Spy

Back on our screens, 4th Jan 2020

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/cas...g-return-date/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

alan45 (21-11-2019)

she is leaving for extended break

Thread Information