Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amanda Mealing to reprise Connie role

Exclamation Amanda Mealing to reprise Connie role

Former Holby City star Amanda Mealing is joining Casualty.

The actress - who played Connie Beauchamp on the BBC medical drama between 2004 and 2010 - will now reprise the role in Casualty, The Sun reports.

Connie Beauchamp from Holby City
    © BBC
    Amanda Mealing as Connie Beauchamp

Viewers last saw Connie three years ago when she resigned from her position at the hospital.

As part of a new storyline, Connie will join the hospital's Casualty department as a "demanding but fair consultant".

Mealing admitted that she was surprised when she was first informed of the plan to bring Connie back.

She said: "When the idea was first proposed I was surprised to say the least. Then when I heard some of the ideas for the character, I thought it was genius.

"I hope this will be as exciting for fans as it is for me. I can't wait to get those heels back on and get to work."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

alan45 (23-07-2013), tammyy2j (24-07-2013)

Excellent News
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (24-07-2013)

Amanda Mealing has admitted that she is "really nervous" about reprising her role as Connie Beauchamp in Casualty.

The actress originally played Connie in Holby City between 2004 and 2010.

Earlier this week, the BBC announced that Connie will be causing a stir in Casualty from March 2014, when she joins the emergency department at Holby City Hospital as a "demanding but fair" consultant.

Speaking on ITV's This Morning today (July 25), Mealing explained: "Since I left Holby, I have literally had daily requests for Connie to come back and I had a call from the executive producer of Holby and Casualty a while ago and he put forward this idea - and I'm really nervous about it!"

Asked if she knows what is planned for Connie, she replied: "They have some brilliant stuff coming up. I don't start filming yet, but I'll be relocating to Cardiff."

Mealing will begin filming at Casualty in November.

In a very small country with canals and bikes and windmills and tulips
    Fantastic news,,, its about time they get some one like "Connie" aboard :-)

Casualty's executive producer Oliver Kent has promised that there are new rivalries ahead for Amanda Mealing's character Connie Beauchamp when she joins the show.

Connie, who previously appeared on Holby City between 2004 and 2010, will be joining the BBC's Saturday night medical drama early next year - becoming a "demanding but fair" consultant in the ED.

Amanda Mealing during a photocall at the Tower Hotel, London.
    © PA Images / Adam Davy/PA Wire
    Amanda Mealing

Speaking in an official BBC video interview, Kent revealed: "Connie will be a new brilliant top dog for Casualty. We felt that we needed a top dog and it would be interesting to bring in a female top dog, and that is Connie. We were very lucky when Amanda Mealing said yes.

"Connie's arrival in Casualty will really set the cat among the pigeons, not least with Ash and Zoe, who she will instantly upstage.

"I think what it will do is unlock a fun rivalry between Zoe and Connie. It will also put Ash in a very different place, and it will be the start of what we're seeing as Connie's year in the ED."

Talk about a Casualty cliffhanger!

The show has left us wondering over the fates of Connie Beauchamp and her daughter Grace, after they went plunging over a cliff in the closing moments of Saturday night's tense episode (July 30).

The dramatic moment followed a difficult day for Connie, as she'd been forced to deal with a case that was way too close to home.

When Grace's friend Carmel was admitted to hospital following an accident on a trampoline, some disturbing facts began to emerge as the youngster was found to have nasty scratches on her stomach.

Connie Beauchamp, Carmel Sims and Grace in Casualty
    © BBC Alistair Heap
    Although Grace initially came under suspicion for causing the injuries, it was later revealed that Carmel had actually been self-harming after a barrage of cruel and abusive comments from her mum Steph.

The case appeared to have reached its resolution when Steph was reported to children's services, but she wasn't prepared to take Connie's involvement lying down.

As Connie and Grace left the hospital by heading off in the car, seething Steph followed in her own vehicle and repeatedly tried to get Connie to pull over.

Driving dangerously, Steph pulled ahead but was then forced to slam on the brakes as they came up to a bend.

Connie Beauchamp's big Casualty cliffhanger
    © BBC

© BBC

© BBC

With Connie's path blocked, she went straight through a road barrier and hurtling off a cliff - leaving fans up and down the country horrified.

Will Connie and Grace survive? Casualty now goes off air until its 30th anniversary celebrations at the end of August, so we'll have a little while to wait to find out...

Digital Spy

With just a month to go until Casualty's much-anticipated 30th anniversary episode is aired on BBC One, the soap is ensuring that we go into the episode with bated breath by ending its current series on quite the cliffhanger.

Saturday night's shocking episode left Connie Beauchamp and her daughter Grace with their lives in danger as the pair went plunging over a cliff in the closing moments.

Casualty shocker! Has the show just killed off Connie Beauchamp and her daughter Grace?

We have to wait until the series returns on Saturday, August 27 to find out what happened, but in the meantime, Connie actress Amanda Mealing has been keeping fans guessing by thanking them for their support... and keeping silent on her character's fate.

Follow
    amanda mealing ✔ @meamandamealing
    Thanks for all the love. It was tough to shoot. Congrats to my gorgeous tv daughter @TheEmilyCarey ❤️🙏🏼
    11:28 PM - 30 Jul 2016
    91 91 Retweets 380 380 likes

"Thanks for all the love. It was tough to shoot," she tweeted. "Congrats to my gorgeous tv daughter @TheEmilyCarey."

Mealing then went on to quote tweet a number of fan reactions about what comes next for the actress but made sure she definitely didn't let the cat out of the bag.

Follow
    Thank you https://twitter.com/jonmdexter/statu...99806524006400
    11:25 PM - 30 Jul 2016
    7 7 Retweets 96 96 likes

Follow
    That's very kind. X https://twitter.com/char_loughlin/st...00685314494464
    11:30 PM - 30 Jul 2016
    12 12 Retweets 129 129 likes

Follow
    Haha X https://twitter.com/surrey_steve/sta...00741862166528
    11:29 PM - 30 Jul 2016
    11 11 Retweets 98 98 likes

Follow
    Don't you dare! https://twitter.com/thegolfcoach/sta...06507599937536
    11:54 PM - 30 Jul 2016
    12 12 Retweets 139 139 likes

She replied "thank you" to someone who wished her all the best in the future "should tonight's Casualty have been [her] last" and laughed along with another viewer who argued that there's no point in watching Casualty without Connie.

"Please don't leave Casualty," another fan pleaded. "You're the best actress... I love Connie as a character... you act her so well."

"That's very kind," she answered.

Well played, Mealing.

Casualty now goes off air until its 30th anniversary celebrations at the end of August, which include the BBC National Orchestra of Wales recording a special soundtrack at their home in Cardiff Bay.

Digital Spy

i think connie survives grace dies

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Perdita (31-07-2016)

The good news for fans of Casualty's Connie Beauchamp just keeps coming.

First of all, Connie made it through Casualty's 30th anniversary episode alive - surviving her dramatic clifftop plunge and managing to avoid the helicopter that later crashed into the hospital. Phew.

Now we can reveal that we'll be seeing Connie again even sooner than expected. Nope, you won't have to wait until Saturday for her story to continue, as she pops up for a cameo in next week's episode of Casualty's sister show Holby City.

Tuesday's Holby City (August 30) episode is heavily affected by the carnage in Casualty, as we'd expect since they're both set in the same hospital.

Set on the day after the helicopter crash, Tuesday's Holby sees the hospital still in a state of disarray - with Adrian 'Fletch' Fletcher (Alex Walkinshaw) struggling to keep things running smoothly on the wards.

It's not just the job on Fletch's mind, though, as he finds the time to check on former colleague Connie after hearing that she's in ITU after her car crash.

Fletch is also forced to treat unstable Stephanie Sims, the woman who ran Connie off the road in one of Casualty's most memorable cliffhangers.

Still under police guard, Steph makes a desperate dash to escape from the hospital, so we recommend that all Casualty fans should tune into Holby to find out what happens to her.

Saturday's Casualty episode ended four weeks of speculation over Connie's fate, after she went hurtling off the edge of a cliff in her car while driving home with her daughter Grace.

While Connie escaped any life-threatening injuries, her daughter Grace wasn't so lucky as the helicopter which transported her to the hospital later crashed.

Emotional scenes at the end of the episode saw Connie's partner Jacob Masters (Charles Venn) forced to break the devastating news that Grace might not pull through, leaving a huge question mark hanging over her future.

This story will continue over the coming weeks in Casualty, so for now we'll just have to stay tuned to find out what happens.

Connie has been a regular on Casualty since 2014. She was also a lead character on Holby between 2004 and 2010.

Digital Spy

Casualty star Amanda Mealing has spoken about the long journey her character Connie Beauchamp has ahead of her, as her daughter Grace prepares to come up from hospital this weekend.

Grace has spent the last few months in a coma after she was seriously injured when the helicopter - rescuing her from a car crash - collided into the hospital.

Although Connie was relieved when Grace recently started to wake up, the reality of the situation will start to hit the talented medic in Saturday's episode as she is forced to accept that the youngster may never be the same again.

"This is the beginning of a new journey for Connie, and for her relationship with Grace," Amanda said to Inside Soap.

Connie Beauchamp and Grace Beauchamp in Casualty
    BBC ALISTAIR HEAP
    "Connie is full of doubt - there is a lot of trepidation, and her judgement goes out of the window. She is worried about the extensive care Grace is going to require and whether she will be able to meet those needs.

"Grace is semi-paralysed - her right side is not functioning properly. She has very little speech. It's something that will get better with time, but it'll need a lot of therapy.

"For now, Grace will depend on Connie for everything. And at least while Grace is in hospital, she's got the best care on hand if anything goes wrong."

Connie Beauchamp and Hugo in Casualty

But could Connie's situation with Grace make her re-evaluate her future in the ED?

"My husband's family are all medical professionals and they've always said that to do the job day in day out, you have to be able to detach and look at the patients as puzzles to solve," Amanda explained.

"But they forget all their training when it comes to a loved one - the emotional side of it comes to the fore. So I think it would be the same situation for Connie. As brilliant as she is with anyone else, this is her daughter so there is a real reluctance there."

Casualty will air on Saturday, November 19 at 9.15pm on BBC One.

Digital Spy

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (17-11-2016)

Thread Information