Emmerdale's Alan Turner gets a touching send-off in tonight's episode (October 30) as the village gathers together for his funeral.

Victoria Sugden has carefully planned the emotional day, which begins when a procession of motorbikes arrives with Alan's coffin in a fitting tribute to him.

There are also some surprise guests for the occasion as Katie Macey returns to the village unexpectedly and Alan's daughter Steph Stokes shows up too, handcuffed to a prison guard.

The residents of Emmerdale gather for Alan's funeral.

© ITV
The day of Alan's funeral arrives.

Emmerdale bosses have come up with this storyline to mark the real-life passing of actor Richard Thorp, who died in May at the age of 81. He had played Turner for over 30 years and was the ITV soap's longest-serving cast member.

Lorraine Chase, who plays Steph, said of tonight's episode: "They have given him a terrific send-off. When I saw those bikers and I saw his coffin, it gave us all a bit of a tear.

"He would have loved everything about it. It would have been right up his street. It would have been right up his street as Richard Thorp, let alone Alan Turner!

"It was more than fitting. It was very emotional. He would have been so pleased and I'm sure he is pleased."

Emmerdale airs this episode tonight 30th October