Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jason Roscoe

Last edited by tammyy2j; 18-11-2014 at 22:43.

Hollyoaks teen Jason Roscoe faces his worst nightmare next week as he goes head-to-head with his twin brother Robbie in a boxing match.

Jason has to compete against Robbie (Charlie Wernham) after his original opponent pulls out, but the fight itself is the least of his worries as he is preoccupied with his body image issues.

Nervous about appearing half-dressed in front of a large crowd, Jason struggles to cope with the pressure - which could scupper his father Rick's secret plot to fix the fight for him to win!

Digital Spy recently caught up with Alfie Browne-Sykes, who plays Jason, to hear about the big episodes ahead for his troubled character.

How is Jason feeling in the build-up to the boxing match?
    "Jason has always been completely against the idea of the boxing match. It's not that he doesn't like boxing, but he's using that as a cover-up because he doesn't want everyone to see his body.

"Jason knows that he's going to be up in the ring wearing a vest and shorts, which would make him exposed to everyone. Because of Jason's body issues, he's incredibly against that."

Does Jason have any concerns or expectations about going head-to-head with Robbie?
    "No, his mind is totally off the boxing match itself. It's the last thing he's thinking about! Jason's only concern is being exposed in a venue full of people who are all looking at him. Since his body issues developed, that's one thing he's always hated - the attention being on him."

Does anyone notice that Jason is behaving strangely?
    "People have noticed his strange behaviour and they're starting to pay a lot more attention to it. In the past they've brushed it off and not really thought much of it, as all of them have misinterpreted it as vanity or maybe just Jason's age. It's only now that Robbie in particular is starting to notice that there's something up with his brother."

Is Jason aware that the match is fixed for him to win thanks to Rick's betting scam?
    "Yeah, Jason knows the match is fixed but he's still completely against doing it!"

Robbie and Jason fight
    © Lime Pictures
    Robbie and Jason fight

Were the boxing scenes fun to film?
    "Yeah, they were fun to film - especially because I've boxed myself for a long time. I only stopped boxing when I joined Hollyoaks, as obviously I can't come into work with bruises over my face! It was exciting to do that again, as it's something I did for a long time but haven't been able to over the last two years. I really, really enjoyed it."

Who would win if you and Charlie faced each other in the ring in real life?
    "Hands down, of course I'd win! (Laughs.) I boxed for eleven years, so of course I'd expect to win!"

Why does Jason collapse after the match?
    "In the weeks and months leading up to the fight, Jason has been hiding his food. To everyone else it looks like he's been eating, but he's actually been hiding it in plastic bags and stashing it away in his room. He's really been surviving on the bare minimum of food, so he's very weak and frail. Jason is barely functioning, so that's why he collapses."

What happens at the hospital?
    "Celine McQueen is the nurse who treats Jason and she starts to pick up on some of the issues he has, whereas most people wouldn't. Obviously as Celine is a medical professional, she notices certain traits that Jason has which resemble body dysmorphia.

"I don't think Jason is ready to confide in anyone, though. He doesn't know that he has an issue, he just thinks that he doesn't look right. As far as he's concerned, there isn't actually a mental health issue there."

Sarah George as Celine McQueen
    © Lime Pictures
    Sarah George plays newcomer Celine

Do you think the Roscoes would be a good source of support to Jason if they knew the truth?
    "I think they would be. Although they're a very laddish family, they're still very caring and they take concern whenever any of the other brothers has a problem."

Will the storyline run on for a while longer?
    "Yeah it will, and I hope it runs on for even longer than expected because it's a very interesting thing for me to get into as an actor. It's also a great thing to raise awareness about. From what I can see, the subject of male body issues isn't really something that's picked up on very often."

Has there been much feedback so far?
    "Various charities and people who have suffered body dysmorphia tweet me and always give me good feedback. I've had some fan mail too, and a lady even sent me a book that she wrote on body dysmorphia. She went through it herself so I've just started reading that recently."

Do Jason and Holly still have a strong future?
    "I think they do but with Jason's issues, it's making it very hard for the pair of them to get along. Holly is completely unaware that Jason has a problem. A lot of arguments and things that go on between them are part of Jason's disorder, but Holly doesn't realise that and it's making her want to be away from him."

Holly fears the worst
    © Lime Pictures
    Jason and Holly

It was recently revealed that Sandy Roscoe returns over Christmas. Did you enjoy having Gillian Taylforth back?
    "I loved it because I've missed Gillian. We all got to know each other so well and it was literally like having a second mum on set when she was here. When she came back, it was really exciting for all of us."

We've heard that the Roscoes will be central to the hour-long special on New Year's Eve. Are you involved much in that?
    "Yeah, I'm involved in that a lot. Obviously I can't say much about it, but it's definitely going to be a big episode!"

Thread Information