Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Pappas (James Mason)

Chris Pappas (James Mason)

I am not Australian, but I have read about the homophobia in Australia and I`ve got to say the gay storyline with Chris is terrible. I don`t think James Mason is a bad actor but I do believe that the writers don`t seem invested in the character being gay. Chris hardly kisses guys he did have one boyfriend Aidan but their relationship was so unromatic and very passionless. The writers basically just had Aidan and Chris be friends and not gay lovers. I have never seen a gay character be so ungay EVER.

I understand Neighbours is family oriented show, but the conservative nature of the program seems to be constraining the writers and it does hurt the charactrer Chris. Since Chris can`t be romantic, or have a real romance it means the character rings false something is terribly wrong. I doubt the Neighbours writers are going to address this though given the fact the spoilers indicate Chris is going to date a woman in the next few weeks. I guess the Neighbours writers made their decision.

I don't think he's a 'bad' gay character, he's just a character that happens to be gay. I like it, it's not like gayness defines him. And I thought him and Aidan were quite a normal couple and I also thought it was good that they had their first broadcast kiss as them just kissing at a party, rather than making a big deal out of the whole thing. They had normal relationship problems rather than it being all about sex.
    Check out my Strictly Come Dancing Blog! - The 2014 blogging has begun!

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LostVoodoo For This Useful Post:

lizann (15-04-2013), Ruffed_lemur (14-04-2013), tammyy2j (15-04-2013), yeschef77 (15-04-2013), zonika (21-04-2013)

I think Chris is a very good gay character.

I agree.
    Chris could easily be confused for being straight, I think his character is slightly almost abandoned in some ways we never really see too many storylines where Chris is directly the main part of that line. He is always just a part of someone else's storyline.

I agree.
    Chris could easily be confused for being straight, I think his character is slightly almost abandoned in some ways we never really see too many storylines where Chris is directly the main part of that line. He is always just a part of someone else's storyline.

chris is great i hate the over camped gays portrayed on soaps *coughs* sean from corrie

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (16-04-2013), tammyy2j (02-05-2013)

You could easily confuse him for being straight... that's not being a good gay character.

Not all gay people are flaming queens, you know! I like Chris, I think they have portrayed him sensitively and accurately, and most importantly AS A NORMAL GUY. If he's at all reticent about his sexuality, 1. It's still early days and he's shy, 2. he lives in a small place - you don't go shouting your business out in places like that, 3. he's getting on with his life and hoping love comes his way, rather than going out and shagging a different guy every night, which is a negative stereotype and one that doiesn't need perpetuating. I have known people like Chris, that's why his character is so endearing.

Would you prefer it if he was a bleached, shaved, permatanned flamboyant hairdresser? Because that stereotype belongs back in the last century.

Not all gay people are flaming queens, you know! I like Chris, I think they have portrayed him sensitively and accurately, and most importantly AS A NORMAL GUY. If he's at all reticent about his sexuality, 1. It's still early days and he's shy, 2. he lives in a small place - you don't go shouting your business out in places like that, 3. he's getting on with his life and hoping love comes his way, rather than going out and shagging a different guy every night, which is a negative stereotype and one that doiesn't need perpetuating. I have known people like Chris, that's why his character is so endearing.

Would you prefer it if he was a bleached, shaved, permatanned flamboyant hairdresser? Because that stereotype belongs back in the last century.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bouncer's Ghost For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (16-04-2013), LostVoodoo (17-04-2013), parkerman (16-04-2013), tammyy2j (02-05-2013), yeschef77 (17-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by LostVoodoo View Post
    I don't think he's a 'bad' gay character, he's just a character that happens to be gay. I like it, it's not like gayness defines him. And I thought him and Aidan were quite a normal couple and I also thought it was good that they had their first broadcast kiss as them just kissing at a party, rather than making a big deal out of the whole thing. They had normal relationship problems rather than it being all about sex.
    Soap operas are about love and romance and although Chris storylines shouldn't always be about his sexuality it is an important part of his life. The straight characters on neighbours get to kiss and have romance. So why can't Chris? Neighbours comes across as very homophobic, backwards and pedestrian.

The writers do everything in their power to AVOID giving Chris a proper love life. You mention Chris kissing Aidan of course it was to the side. I guess two gay men kissing is considered gross for the UK and Australian television audience. Chris and Aidan hardly kissed what's the point having a gay character on the show if he can't have a love life?

Thread Information