Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Waterloo Road Series 9 Spoiler

24th October

Waterloo Road
    It’s Living History Week at Waterloo Road and the whole school is in high spirits, but it’s not long before the day takes a turn for the worse when three pupils are taken seriously ill. Simon and Sue up the ante in their campaign against Christine and Kevin woos Dynasty back into his arms.
    Sensing an opportunity to impress Education Head Robert Bain, Christine rolls Audrey’s World War II initiative across the curriculum, complete with costumes, rationing – and even a runaway goat! But the fun runs out when Darren and Barry go foraging for dodgy mushrooms in the woods and Rhiannon takes the rationing programme too literally, with all three requiring the paramedics.

Sue learns a secret that threatens to expose George’s overblown Mandarin claims and composes a dossier of failings in Christine’s leadership. After yet another run-in with Christine, Simon’s had enough and places Sue’s dossier straight into the hands of Robert Bain.

Miserable with his single life, Kevin launches a romantic woodland gesture entitled ‘Operation Dynasty’ in a bid to win her back.
    Last edited by alan45; 10-10-2013 at 11:31.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

It's the end of an era on Waterloo Road tonight (October 10) as original character Grantly Budgen bows out from the show after six years.

With emotional scenes on the way in Grantly's final episode, his exit will have a huge impact on the school's staff and pupils - but none more so than on his wife Maggie.

We recently caught up with Melanie Hill, who plays Maggie, to hear more about what fans can expect and how her character will progress in the aftermath.

What was this episode like for you to film?
    "It was quite emotional on lots of different levels, to be honest. We were obviously filming everything in the script which leads to the character going, as Grantly is seriously ill. On top of that, I also knew that I'd be saying goodbye to Philip in real life. Everyone was so emotional about that, because he is the most popular guy around on the show. It was tough."

We don't want to give too much detail away, but what can the viewers expect from Grantly's final episode?
    "I think what the writers have done really well is putting lots of humour in Grantly's final episodes. He goes back to school after being really ill, so he's returning to what he loves but he's very nervous about it. It's quite moving as Maggie sees how terrified he is about it, but he forces himself back.

"Once Grantly gets back, Christine gives him things to do that she knows he'll love, including a poetry competition which he works on with the kids. Grantly focuses on that with Harley, who he does have a really special relationship with. There's a lovely story where he encourages Harley in the competition."

What happens next?
    "After that, there's some wonderful news as Grantly does get a green light over his kidney, as there's one ready for him. However, the writers ramp up the tension because Grantly will not leave the school to go to the hospital. He wants to help Harley and it all falls apart after that. It spirals out of control, but there's some lovely comedic and funny bits along the way.

"I'm really looking forward to seeing the episode for myself. I haven't seen it yet - I purposely left it so that I could watch it live with everyone else."

Did the writers recognise the importance of giving Grantly a fitting ending?
    "Definitely, because I think they would have been lynched if they hadn't! His character is so popular and the fans are going to really miss him. They had to do it justice and create a fitting story, which they have done. People kind of know what may happen, but how it all plays out is quite surprising.

"What Waterloo Road also does so well is that it reinvents itself. That's why I think it's still on the TV - it keeps moving and changing. What's quite nice is that I still refer back to Grantly in a lot of the episodes coming up. That doesn't usually happen, but because he was such a strong presence, he continues to be mentioned."

What was your reaction when you first found out that Philip wanted to leave?
    "I knew that he wanted to try different things, because he's been on the show for so long. Also, his family are down south while Waterloo Road is obviously now filmed in Scotland. I did know that he wanted to go, but once we all knew the date he'd be going, that was when it felt real and that was quite tough.

"The great thing is that Philip has already been busy doing other shows. He's been working on Death Comes to Pemberley, which is a massive costume drama. He was also offered a Michael Caine film, so he won't stop, I think! But I have said to him that I hope the next person to play his wife is horrible, so that he doesn't like her as much as he does me! (Laughs.)"

Did you all give him a good send-off?
    "Definitely. We had a few sweet sherries together, put it that way! He also painted me the most amazing picture of our characters when we got married. It's lovely and it's in my flat, so I say good morning to him every morning! We still keep in touch so that's great too."

Did you ever worry about what Grantly's exit could mean for Maggie?
    "Yeah, I wondered whether she would move away and how they were going to handle it. What's brilliant is that they've moved her into the school, so she has a firm link with Waterloo Road and she has a great relationship with the kids. I'm really happy with the way it's all turned out."

In an interview a while back, you said you were keen to stick around on Waterloo Road. Is that still the case?
    "Absolutely definitely. I love Scotland - I'm actually loving it more every month that I'm here. The show itself is great too and there's such a brilliant energy on set. The only hard part is that you get really close to the kids but they can only stay for a certain amount of time, because they have to grow up and go out of the school. There's a couple just leaving now who we're really going to miss, but I suppose that's what keeps it fresh."

How would you feel if Maggie found love again after Grantly?
    "I would like them to wait a while. I wouldn't like it if it happened too soon. Maybe next year, but if it happened too soon I think that would be disrespectful to the character of Grantly. The way we're taking it is that Maggie is concentrating on the kids and keeping herself busy at the school and the schoolhouse. She'll be getting involved in all of the kids' lives. In the future some romance would be great, but not at the moment!"
    Last edited by alan45; 10-10-2013 at 11:31.

RIP Grantley, nicely done storyline, thank you BBC

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

alan45 (11-10-2013), moonstorm (12-10-2013)

What a fitting finale to a wonderful character. Well done to all concerned.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

moonstorm (12-10-2013)

Gosh I was sobbing last night, what a great episode. Will miss Grantley.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to moonstorm For This Useful Post:

alan45 (11-10-2013)

Waterloo Road star Heather Peace has confirmed she is taking a break from the show to focus on her music.

The actress's character Nikki Boston has been at the centre of drama this series due to her estranged daughter, Eve, turning up unexpectedly.

However, Peace has now confirmed that she will be taking some time out of the show to tour with her band.

Speaking to Waterloo Road TV, she said: "The door's not closed. I just needed to take some time in the next three months while they're still filming.

"We needed to get back on the road. You can't sort of leave gigs. You can't leave it a year otherwise everyone's forgotten what you were doing!

"I was always going to kinda of go back for six months then take another break. So who knows whether they're up for it!"

Peace also hinted that there could be some surprises in store as Heather's relationships with Eve and Kacey are explored.

She said: "This couple (of episodes) up until the end of 10, which is in a couple of weeks, sort of explores my relationship with Kacey a little bit more and the fact that I've taken her under my wing as my surrogate daughter.

"Then there might be some surprises coming into January next year with perhaps my daughter!

"I'm a lot softer and probably not as in control as Nikki Boston, but then people who seem to be in control on the outside are quite often on turmoil inside aren't they? I think that's what we see a bit more of with Nikki into next year certainly."

Waterloo Road airs on Thursdays at 8pm on BBC One.

Waterloo Road star Heather Peace has confirmed she is taking a break from the show to focus on her music.

The actress's character Nikki Boston has been at the centre of drama this series due to her estranged daughter, Eve, turning up unexpectedly.

However, Peace has now confirmed that she will be taking some time out of the show to tour with her band.

Speaking to Waterloo Road TV, she said: "The door's not closed. I just needed to take some time in the next three months while they're still filming.

"We needed to get back on the road. You can't sort of leave gigs. You can't leave it a year otherwise everyone's forgotten what you were doing!

"I was always going to kinda of go back for six months then take another break. So who knows whether they're up for it!"

Peace also hinted that there could be some surprises in store as Heather's relationships with Eve and Kacey are explored.

She said: "This couple (of episodes) up until the end of 10, which is in a couple of weeks, sort of explores my relationship with Kacey a little bit more and the fact that I've taken her under my wing as my surrogate daughter.

"Then there might be some surprises coming into January next year with perhaps my daughter!

"I'm a lot softer and probably not as in control as Nikki Boston, but then people who seem to be in control on the outside are quite often on turmoil inside aren't they? I think that's what we see a bit more of with Nikki into next year certainly."

Waterloo Road star Richard Mylan has said that his character Simon Lowsley is about to have a life-changing moment.

Next week's episode of the show will see Simon compete against colleague Christine Mulgrew as they are both interviewed for the position of the school's permanent head.

However, Mylan has hinted that Simon is set to learn a valuable lesson that will make him reconsider what is important.

The actor told Inside Soap: "Simon is set to have an epiphany about a lot of things in his life - his career, Sue, everything.

"He has been on a real journey this term - but I think the school may have melted him.

"I don't think anyone watching it will be sure which way things are going until the end of the episode."

Mylan has also heaped praise onto his co-stars Vanessa Hehir, who plays Simon's fiancée Sue, and Laurie Brett, who plays Christine.

He said: "It is good fun to be on set with Vanessa - we are always in the same ballpark, and it is really nice playing opposite someone like her.

"Of course, Laurie is just a legend. She has been doing this for a long time and I never stop learning from her."

Waterloo Road star Richard Mylan has said that his character Simon Lowsley is about to have a life-changing moment.

Next week's episode of the show will see Simon compete against colleague Christine Mulgrew as they are both interviewed for the position of the school's permanent head.

However, Mylan has hinted that Simon is set to learn a valuable lesson that will make him reconsider what is important.

The actor told Inside Soap: "Simon is set to have an epiphany about a lot of things in his life - his career, Sue, everything.

"He has been on a real journey this term - but I think the school may have melted him.

"I don't think anyone watching it will be sure which way things are going until the end of the episode."

Mylan has also heaped praise onto his co-stars Vanessa Hehir, who plays Simon's fiancée Sue, and Laurie Brett, who plays Christine.

He said: "It is good fun to be on set with Vanessa - we are always in the same ballpark, and it is really nice playing opposite someone like her.

"Of course, Laurie is just a legend. She has been doing this for a long time and I never stop learning from her."

Waterloo Road star Zöe Lucker has revealed that tonight's episode will culminate in an impossible dilemma for her character Carol Barry.

Carol will be left disgusted when she learns that her son Barry (Carl Au) has stolen the boxing fund which was raised to send his sister Kacey to a training camp in America.

Realising that Barry has gone too far this time, Carol has to decide whether to report him to the police and whether she still wants him to be part of the family.

Speaking on ITV's Loose Women today (November 7), Lucker confirmed: "It's his sister, so it's the most awful thing he could have done. In tonight's episode, you see Carol faced with a bit of a 'Sophie's Choice'.

"It all kicks off and we find out what's gone on. It's a horrible, horrible situation to be in."

Discussing her on-screen family's bad behaviour, she explained: "Actually Barry's very naughty, but he's actually brilliant, Carl. He couldn't be further from his character in real life. Of course Dynasty is actually a really good girl, and Kacey's a good girl. It's just Barry and his mum, really - and Neil who's in prison, who we never actually see."

She added: "I would say Dynasty is the most straightforward. She's got a heart of gold. She doesn't like the lifestyle and the way we operate."

Lucker admitted that she is delighted to be playing another fearsome character after her role as Tanya Turner on Footballers' Wives.

She laughed: "I think it's possibly because I enjoy it so much and I get my teeth into it. In real life, there's a lot of things that I don't like to confront. I actually hate confrontation on any level and I would run away from that. It's almost cathartic playing these characters."

Waterloo Road's latest block of episodes concludes tonight at 8pm on BBC One.

Thread Information