Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Waterloo Road Series 9 Spoiler

Waterloo Road's Laurie Brett has said that her character Christine Mulgrew could fall off the wagon at any time.

The last series of the BBC One drama saw the teacher try to turn her life around after a long battle with alcoholism.

Brett said to What's on TV: "Christine has a burning fire in her; she's like a firecracker that could go off.

"As for any addict there's always a threat of falling off the wagon, and that threat is always going to be there for Christine - especially when she's under pressure!"

"Christine's past is another reason why she isn't on firm ground. She's very much in recovery from her alcoholism, so she has a lot to prove. A lot of Christine's demons were exorcised last series when we really found out why she was the way she was.

"But the thing about her is she doesn't need to be drunk to go off on one!"

The next series will see Christine take on the position as new acting principal of Waterloo Road.

"Christine loves what she does, but she's had this role thrust upon her so she's not at her most confident," Brett added.

"That said, the potential for her to be a very good head is there, as she's dedicated to the school and a more than capable teacher - when sober!"

Brett has previously confessed that she would like Christine to have an alcohol relapse.

Waterloo Road returns on Thursday, September 5 at 8pm on BBC One.

Waterloo Road airs the first scenes of new cast member Caitlin Gillespie next week, as her troubled character Lisa Brown joins the school with twin brother Lenny.

The actress has been filming with the BBC show since April following a two-year stint as Christina Michalka on Scottish soap River City.

Digital Spy recently chatted to Caitlin to hear all the gossip on the drama ahead for the Brown twins.
    How have you found settling into life at Waterloo Road?
    "It's been very easy to settle in, just because the cast and crew are so lovely. Because I did River City before this, I'd met a few of the Waterloo Road cast before at events and award ceremonies. That made things a lot easier, because it was just like catching up with friends. The time really has flown by - I can't believe that I started filming in April."

Is working on Waterloo Road similar to River City?
    "They're quite similar in terms of filming and the day-to-day routine, but the main change for me is that the character I'm playing on Waterloo Road is so different to the one that I played on River City!"

Were you sad to say goodbye to River City?
    "I was, as I'd been there for two years and it was that show which started my career. I learned so much from doing River City, as I was only 17 when I started it.

"At the same time, I was so happy about moving over to Waterloo Road, because it's a national show and a great programme. I was proud of what I'd done on River City, but also happy to be moving onto new things. As actors, we always want to move onto new roles and challenges."

Waterloo Road has a much bigger online fanbase, so are you looking forward to that interaction with the viewers?
    "Definitely. Already so many people have been in touch on Twitter. It's quite terrifying, because Waterloo Road has such a big fanbase and you don't know how they're going to react to a new character. But I do know that the fans are so loyal and supportive of the show, so hopefully it'll be fine!"

Joe Slater and Caitlin Gillespie as Lenny and Lisa Brown on Waterloo Road
    © BBC / Shed Productions (WR) / Alan Peebles
    Joe Slater and Caitlin Gillespie

What can we expect from Lisa?
    "Lisa comes as part of a pair, as she joins the school with her twin brother Lenny. She's definitely the more dominant twin. Lisa is very tough, very headstrong and she's been let down in the past, so she deals with that by creating quite a tough exterior."

We've heard that Lisa and Lenny don't really get a warm welcome from the other students due to their dishevelled appearance. Could they make some friends in time?
    "I think time is a great healer - it changes everything. They do find it quite tough when they join the school, and Lisa doesn't help herself at all. She actually makes it worse! Lisa and Lenny stick together, and that's the best thing. They've done that for years and it's the best way for them to get through tough situations."

Can you tell us a bit more about the twins' troubled background?
    "For a long time, it's just been the twins and their older brother Larry. They all look out for each other, because they haven't had anyone else around to help them. It's been quite tough for them."

The story touches on real-life issues such as poverty and fitting in at a new school, so are you hoping to raise some awareness as well?
    "Raising awareness of various different topics is one thing that Waterloo Road does so well. They're so good at it and they do the storylines so much justice. I'd like to think we could raise some awareness, as it'd be amazing."

Is it true that we can expect some tension when History teacher Audrey interferes in the twins' lives?
    "Definitely! Audrey's heart is completely in the right place, and she's just trying to look out for the twins. Unfortunately, Lisa has been let down so many times that she doesn't trust anybody and her natural reaction is to always put her defences up and not let anybody in. She doesn't react well to Audrey's interference whatsoever…"

Sometimes new characters are kept in the background at first, so were you pleased to come in with a bang?
    "100%! To be so heavily involved in the first episode of a new series is so exciting. Like I said earlier, there's a lot of pressure and it's a bit scary, but hopefully the audience will get to know our characters and really enjoy them. Being so central in episode one will hopefully help with that."

Does Lisa stay prominent throughout the series?
    "She goes through phases of being really busy, quieter again and then back to being busy. Lisa is always up to mischief, though, which is her usual thing!"

Which characters does Lisa share a lot of screen time with?
    "Mostly the teachers, purely because she's such a troublesome child! Maggie takes the twins under her wing, because that's what she does best. There's also a lot more scenes with Audrey, and you'll see that Lisa and Lenny remain quite a troublesome twosome."

Who have you bonded with on set?
    "Joe Slater who plays Lenny - we get on very, very well. We're like brother and sister in real life! I'm also really close to Rebecca Craven who plays Rhiannon. We share a dressing room together and she was one of the people who really went out of her way to make me feel welcome and one of the gang."

Do you have any plans for when your first episode airs?
    "I'll definitely be watching it, but it'll be on my own behind a pillow! My mum wanted to have a party for it, but I'm staying clear!"

Waterloo Road airs the first scenes of new cast member Caitlin Gillespie next week, as her troubled character Lisa Brown joins the school with twin brother Lenny.

The actress has been filming with the BBC show since April following a two-year stint as Christina Michalka on Scottish soap River City.

Digital Spy recently chatted to Caitlin to hear all the gossip on the drama ahead for the Brown twins.
    How have you found settling into life at Waterloo Road?
    "It's been very easy to settle in, just because the cast and crew are so lovely. Because I did River City before this, I'd met a few of the Waterloo Road cast before at events and award ceremonies. That made things a lot easier, because it was just like catching up with friends. The time really has flown by - I can't believe that I started filming in April."

Is working on Waterloo Road similar to River City?
    "They're quite similar in terms of filming and the day-to-day routine, but the main change for me is that the character I'm playing on Waterloo Road is so different to the one that I played on River City!"

Were you sad to say goodbye to River City?
    "I was, as I'd been there for two years and it was that show which started my career. I learned so much from doing River City, as I was only 17 when I started it.

"At the same time, I was so happy about moving over to Waterloo Road, because it's a national show and a great programme. I was proud of what I'd done on River City, but also happy to be moving onto new things. As actors, we always want to move onto new roles and challenges."

Waterloo Road has a much bigger online fanbase, so are you looking forward to that interaction with the viewers?
    "Definitely. Already so many people have been in touch on Twitter. It's quite terrifying, because Waterloo Road has such a big fanbase and you don't know how they're going to react to a new character. But I do know that the fans are so loyal and supportive of the show, so hopefully it'll be fine!"

Joe Slater and Caitlin Gillespie as Lenny and Lisa Brown on Waterloo Road
    Joe Slater and Caitlin Gillespie

What can we expect from Lisa?
    "Lisa comes as part of a pair, as she joins the school with her twin brother Lenny. She's definitely the more dominant twin. Lisa is very tough, very headstrong and she's been let down in the past, so she deals with that by creating quite a tough exterior."

We've heard that Lisa and Lenny don't really get a warm welcome from the other students due to their dishevelled appearance. Could they make some friends in time?
    "I think time is a great healer - it changes everything. They do find it quite tough when they join the school, and Lisa doesn't help herself at all. She actually makes it worse! Lisa and Lenny stick together, and that's the best thing. They've done that for years and it's the best way for them to get through tough situations."

Can you tell us a bit more about the twins' troubled background?
    "For a long time, it's just been the twins and their older brother Larry. They all look out for each other, because they haven't had anyone else around to help them. It's been quite tough for them."

The story touches on real-life issues such as poverty and fitting in at a new school, so are you hoping to raise some awareness as well?
    "Raising awareness of various different topics is one thing that Waterloo Road does so well. They're so good at it and they do the storylines so much justice. I'd like to think we could raise some awareness, as it'd be amazing."

Is it true that we can expect some tension when History teacher Audrey interferes in the twins' lives?
    "Definitely! Audrey's heart is completely in the right place, and she's just trying to look out for the twins. Unfortunately, Lisa has been let down so many times that she doesn't trust anybody and her natural reaction is to always put her defences up and not let anybody in. She doesn't react well to Audrey's interference whatsoever…"

Sometimes new characters are kept in the background at first, so were you pleased to come in with a bang?
    "100%! To be so heavily involved in the first episode of a new series is so exciting. Like I said earlier, there's a lot of pressure and it's a bit scary, but hopefully the audience will get to know our characters and really enjoy them. Being so central in episode one will hopefully help with that."

Does Lisa stay prominent throughout the series?
    "She goes through phases of being really busy, quieter again and then back to being busy. Lisa is always up to mischief, though, which is her usual thing!"

Which characters does Lisa share a lot of screen time with?
    "Mostly the teachers, purely because she's such a troublesome child! Maggie takes the twins under her wing, because that's what she does best. There's also a lot more scenes with Audrey, and you'll see that Lisa and Lenny remain quite a troublesome twosome."

Who have you bonded with on set?
    "Joe Slater who plays Lenny - we get on very, very well. We're like brother and sister in real life! I'm also really close to Rebecca Craven who plays Rhiannon. We share a dressing room together and she was one of the people who really went out of her way to make me feel welcome and one of the gang."

Do you have any plans for when your first episode airs?
    "I'll definitely be watching it, but it'll be on my own behind a pillow! My mum wanted to have a party for it, but I'm staying clear!"

With Waterloo Road's return just around the corner, Digital Spy recently got to know another of the show's newcomers - Vanessa Hehir who is playing Science teacher Sue Spark.

Sue has only just qualified and finds the realities of teaching much harder than she expected as she struggles to keep her classes in control. When she reaches the end of her tether, she ends up making a dodgy deal with Barry Barry (Carl Au) to get things back on track.

The school's new recruit is also the fiancée of deputy head Simon Lowsley (Richard Mylan), who is determined to keep their relationship under wraps.

Here, Vanessa tells us what Waterloo Road fans can expect from Sue - and why she almost missed out on the role!

How have you found your time at Waterloo Road so far? Has it been easy to settle in?
    "So far it's been a dream job - I've been loving every minute of it and everyone here is so welcoming. The actual process of joining the show all happened very quickly, so I didn't really have any time to worry about settling in. I really got thrown in at the deep end so picked it all up very quickly!"

What was the audition process like?
    "I only had one audition and it was very quick, although when it came round, I actually had the morning from hell! My daughter was 9 months old at the time and just as I was about to leave the house, she projectile vomited all over me! I was in such a mess and I even considered not going but thankfully my husband talked me round.

"When they offered me the job I was so thrilled, and so thankful I pulled myself together that day! It really is the best job in the world and I'm loving every minute of it."

How does it compare to previous work that you've done?
    "I've been very lucky with my career as I've loved all the jobs I've done. But being on Waterloo Road is my dream job as it's by far the most challenging yet fun role I've ever done. Sue is the most fantastic character to play - it's a really meaty part as she has so many ups and downs and for every time she's being clumsy or ridiculed, there's a darker moment for her when she's struggling to cope and crying in a corner somewhere!"

Vanessa Hehir and Richard Mylan as Sue Spark and Simon Lowsley in Waterloo Road
    © BBC / Shed Productions (WR) / Mark Mainz
    Sue with partner Simon

Can you tell us a bit more about what the viewers can expect from Sue Spark?
    "Humour - lots of humour! And it's really a rollercoaster of a journey for her. There are lots of ups and downs. She puts her foot in it with everyone she comes across and sometimes it's funny but sometimes it's just downright offensive! Sue does have a really good heart, though, and series nine is all about her trying to get the balance right."

Have you had any input into creating the character?
    "I actually didn't get the script until the day the show started, so I wasn't sure what was going to happen! I think all actors have a natural input into how their character comes across - we can add in all the little quirks - but I really have to give credit to the writers as they've come up with such a great script and the writing in general for the show is just fantastic."

How much prior experience does Sue have as a teacher?
    "Well Sue's had a little bit of insight into the profession through her dad being the Head of Education and her fiancé Simon is a very ambitious teacher, but when it comes down to doing the job, she's actually really horrified by the realities of teaching! She can't handle the kids, she gets flustered and the other teachers don't take very well to her. It's sink or swim for Sue and I think she's drowning!"

What kind of problems does she face on her first day?
    "The kids find out that she used to be an air stewardess and start calling her Sick Bag and disrupting the class by doing the emergency exit signals! The class descends into chaos and when she tries to take time out to do some deep breathing in the cupboard, she gets locked in. She then remembers that the Bunsen burner's been left on unattended and she really thinks her life is in danger!

"This is how the kids treat her - constant teasing! Barry is the worst as he is an expert in finding people's weaknesses and can smell fear. When Barry discovers Sue is engaged to Simon and is trying to keep it secret, that's when the blackmailing starts…"

Sue Spark and Barry Barry in Waterloo Road
    © BBC / Shed Productions (WR) / Toby Merritt
    Sue Spark and Barry Barry in Waterloo Road

Do you think viewers will have a lot of sympathy for your character in these scenes?
    "Sue can be very annoying, but I think when the viewers see how distressed she gets and how she really fears for her life, I think they'll have some sympathy for her… I hope so anyway!"

Why is Simon trying to keep his relationship with Sue a secret? How does Sue feel about that?
    "Simon is so ambitious and he hides the relationship as he doesn't want to be connected professionally to someone like Sue. He thinks it'll dampen his chances at the top job and finds it really hard to strike the balance between their romantic and professional lives.

"Unfortunately for Simon, his neurotic fiancée isn't going anywhere and the more he progresses within the school, the more Sue's chaotic classes embarrass him. Deep down, they do love each other but she guilt trips him at every point for ignoring her and it puts a massive strain on their relationship."

What makes Sue want to strike a deal with Barry Barry?
    "Sue's terribly insecure and she desperately wants Simon's approval - for him to think that she can manage the job and she doesn't want him to be ashamed of her. Although she knows she's making a pact with the devil, she takes Barry up on his deal mainly to impress Simon and also to keep the job!"

Is there an interesting journey for Sue across the first ten episodes?
    "There's a lot of drama, a lot of tears and a lot of accidents! Sue is very clumsy and always in the wrong place in wrong time. She is really tested throughout the series as her private and professional lives are very, very different and this is a hugely emotional journey for her. She's very sensitive and she struggles with anxiety and insecurity as she tries to prove to everyone that she can keep on top of everything."

What was your first day on set like?
    "Well my first day on set was Sue's first day too - we were both introduced to the kids, the other teachers and the school itself at the same time and I was just as nervous as Sue to be meeting the headmistress Christine Mulgrew! It didn't even feel like acting - all the nerves and excitement you see with Sue were very real!"

Who have you bonded with among the cast?
    "I adore Angus Deayton - we're lunch buddies! I love Richard Mylan who plays Simon too - we're like an old married couple off set as well as on! Also, Carl Au who plays Barry is the nicest person - there's times on set when he absolutely terrifies me but in real life he's absolutely lovely. A lot of people don't know this but he's an incredible dancer too - he's always dancing in the corridors and is fantastic to watch!"

Do you have any plans to watch your first episodes as they go out?
    "I can't wait to watch them - I've seen absolutely nothing yet so it's very exciting. I think I'm going to get the bubbly out and sit and watch it with my husband and mum - I will make a real occasion out of it!"

What are your memories of your time as Rosie on Heartbeat?
    "Happy, happy memories! One thing I always remember about my time on Heartbeat is how cold it was! Aside from that, I have fond memories of our time off screen too. We were in the middle of nowhere, out on the moors and every night the cast would go to the hotel bar and all have a few drinks and a sing-along!"

With Waterloo Road returning to our screens tonight, Digital Spy got to know another of the show's newcomers - Elizabeth Tan - who viewers were briefly introduced to at the end of last series when she appeared as George's wife, Princess Windsor.

Princess will be left increasingly frustrated over the coming weeks when she is roped into being an assistant Mandarin teacher at the school, after George (Angus Deayton) fails to admit that he isn't qualified to teach it.

Here, former Coronation Street actress Elizabeth tells us what Waterloo Road fans can expect to see from Princess - and why series nine will be an exciting series for her and George.

How have you found being part of the Waterloo Road cast? Has it been easy to settle in?
    "The cast are all fantastic and the kids, in particular, are amazing. On my first day, Rebecca Craven (Rhiannon Salt) and Abby Mavers (Dynasty Barry) took me around and did a tour of the whole school, which is enormous. The attention to detail in the school and the way they have made it seem so real is remarkable. I take my hat off to all the creative people involved in that. As a cast, we have really bonded together so it has been great."

How would you describe your character, Princess Windsor, to people?
    "Princess met George in Shanghai and she has come over to the UK. She is a really funny character and brilliant to play. She is quite fiery and says what is on her mind - she's no pushover! She may come across a bit manipulative sometimes, but generally, she is a lot of fun."

What is coming up for Princess Windsor storywise?
    "George starts to make Princess do all his work at the school. Her aspiration for coming to the UK was to pursue her own career and it wasn't to be assisting George in teaching Mandarin, so they basically start having quite a few rows. These rows are massive and some of them are public at the school. It's very funny and some of the things they do are outrageous. Princess gets on very well with the staff and the students but as everything unfolds with George who is clearly lying about his Mandarin teaching capability, meaning Princess is having to cover for him, the tensions mount and you will see some very big blow-ups. This will have quite drastic consequences for their relationship and possibly also affect a couple of students as well."

What is her relationship like with George?
    "George is a strong character, like Princess, so they are a good, fiery match together. They are very much in love. They have had a whirlwind romance in Shanghai and are excited about setting up their lives with aspirations for the future in Greenock. During that scene we saw last series in the car, there were already layers starting to form and you can start to see the nature of their relationship. They do love each other but they are always wrestling with what the other one wants."

Will George and Princess Windsor be strong and united, or will their marriage be tested in the future storylines?
    "I think their marriage will certainly be tested. George finds himself getting more and more desperate as the pressure of the teaching increases. You'll certainly see a lot of them both in series nine."

Do you get on well with Angus Deayton who plays George?
    "Yes, I only met him an hour before our first scene which you would have seen in series eight in the car. We had to be all lovey dovey and have that immediate chemistry which is really quite a challenge. Thankfully, I just hit it off so well with him - he is so funny. We had such a good time and we were just fooling around in the end."

Will we see Princess Windsor interact with any of the other characters on the show?
    "You will indeed. I can't really say too much but there will be some interactions with other students."

You appeared in the show towards the end of the last series - what kind of reaction did you get from the fans?
    "They were really excited and interestingly there were a lot of followers from Coronation Street. I had a lot of new followers from being in The Syndicate and the existing Waterloo Road fans have been so warm and welcoming as well. I think there is a lot of overlap with people who watch both shows. It is wonderful to get this lovely, mixed fanbase and have people follow your work. I am really touched and I am so grateful for the support because I never imagined that I would be on TV!"

Last series, we saw Tom Clarkson (Jason Done) die after he fell from the school roof. How will this affect the characters in the new series?
    "I think everyone is extremely upset about Tom – he was such a loved character and he was there from the beginning. I remember my first day there and Jason was just so lovely and warm. He is remarkable and he will be so missed. But George is stepping in, you've got Christine (Laurie Brett) as well and you have also got Richard Mylan's character, Simon Lowsley, so there will be a lot of things happening to keep viewers interested. It is going to be a very humorous series and not all doom and gloom."

After being known for playing Xin in Coronation Street, how have you found moving to another big show?
    "It's great! The fans are everything and when you are in a show with such strong viewing figures and are telling such important stories, it really means a lot to them. Both shows deal with social issues so it is important work and important for viewers to be able to relate as they may know people who are experiencing similar things. You feel that you are part of something that means a lot to people, in terms of whether it be that they have it purely for their entertainment, or it helps them relate to some issue."

How do you look back at your time on Coronation Street?
    "Very fondly. It was a great experience. I am still in touch with a lot of the cast there. When I get the chance to watch it, I see that it continues to be a soap opera that is a testament to the writing and the quality of the people involved. It has had such a long run and I have been following some of the stories and watching my old friend Tina (Michelle Keegan). I am very excited for her and I wish her very well. I think she is a wonderful, talented actress and a great person. She was very supportive of me because obviously she was involved in my first scenes and storylines. She was always wonderfully supportive and helped me settle in very quickly. I am very grateful to her for that."

Waterloo Road's Simon Lowsley continues to show his ambitious nature in tonight's episode (September 19) as he presses ahead with plans for an Apprentice-style competition between the school students.

Simon is in his element as he takes on the role of Lord Sugar, especially as the respect he is receiving from the pupils seems to be growing by the minute. Will this help him to achieve his dream of securing the top job at the school?

Digital Spy recently chatted to Richard Mylan, who plays Simon, to hear more about the episode and where things are heading.

As a relative newcomer to Waterloo Road, how would you describe your time on the show so far?
    "I would describe it as the best fun ever! I've genuinely had the best time on this job. That's because there's a great cast, a great crew and I also really enjoy the character that I'm playing. On top of that, I really love Gourock so much, which is the town I live in when I'm working up here in Scotland.

"I found settling into the show really easy, because everyone is so open-armed and welcoming. It's also easy because as soon as you walk in the door, someone else is coming in behind you! There's quite a high turnover of cast members and guest actors, so you never feel like the new boy for long."

As Simon is quite complex, how do you describe him?
    "That's the thing - he is very complex and I don't think people can pin him down to one kind of personality. He seems to have a very caring side, but he also has a very driven and ambitious side. There's also a side where he doesn't take any rubbish! Ultimately I think that he's got a really good heart."

How are fans responding to him?
    "There's been quite a strong response. I think people are digging him, but they can't quite put their finger on who he is. That's probably why he's had such a good reaction.

"With Tom Clarkson leaving, people were saying on Twitter that I had big shoes to fill, but they're two very different characters and I don't think anyone can really fill Tom's shoes because he was a real legend in the show. I can only hope that Simon is liked half as much as that character! They are very, very different from each other. With Tom Clarkson, you knew that you were dealing with a very warm-hearted and caring man. With Simon, there's much more of an agenda and it's quite fun finding out more about him as time goes on."

What can you tell us about this week's episode?
    "I've already had a little look at it, and it's one of my favourite episodes. It was really fun to be involved in - both as a character and as an actor. I had a lot of fun playing a version of Lord Sugar, and Simon definitely enjoys walking around the school acting like him! That kind of a role fits him perfectly because he is so ambitious. The pupils at the school really seem to enjoy the Apprentice competition, too."

Why is Simon so keen to get the competition off the ground?
    "I think he just wants to flex his muscles at the school. In hindsight, it's a good way for him to show that he would like the top job at Waterloo Road, as Simon is really putting himself out there. I can't really say whether this will have any bearing on what happens at the end of the headship race, but Simon is definitely aware that the Apprentice competition is a good device to get the head position from the local authority."

We'll see George become a bit more of a rival to Simon in this episode. Is that light-hearted or serious?
    "For the audience, I think they'll really enjoy watching them going at each other! For Simon, he really takes the rivalry quite seriously. Now that George has been made deputy head, the rivalry becomes quite bitter over the course of the series. There's going to be lots more twists and turns there. The dynamic between George, Christine and Simon is great fun to play and there's a lot more to come with that story."

Does Simon just want the top job for the status involved, or is it more than that?
    "It's a good question! I don't know where this drive comes from with Simon, but he seems to always want to prove himself. There's always a reason and backstory behind that, but I haven't figured it out myself yet. I think maybe the producers and the writers will make more of that in the future, because it's possibly something that needs to be explored."

Looking to the future, will the viewers be shocked by how far Simon goes to fulfil his ambitions?
    "I think viewers will be a little bit shocked by how far both he and Christine will go! It'll be interesting to see the lengths that both will go in order to stake their claim on the top job. There's a lot of drama, twists and turns to come in series nine…"

In real life, how well do you get along with Laurie Brett and Angus Deayton, who play Christine and Simon?
    "Laurie and Angus are two of the funniest people that I've ever met. I think that's why our dynamic on screen works so well. We get along really well as people and we make each other laugh so much. That means we spark off each other in a comedic sense and that happens within the drama on the show. Even though the scenes can be quite dramatic, there's always that comedic undertone to it. Both are brilliant actors and I love working with them."

What can we expect for the future of Simon's relationship with Sue Spark?
    "At the moment, you can tell that Sue is not the best teacher on the planet! Simon finds that very unnerving, as Sue is so closely attached to him. He's so ruthless that he wouldn't want anybody getting in the way and making him look bad. As you can imagine, there's a lot more that's going to come out over the next three or four episodes, where he's carrying the weight of Sue's inadequacies!"

How does Waterloo Road compare to your previous acting work?
    "It's very different. Through chatting to you, I've actually realised why I enjoy this job so much! I've always wanted to do more serious material and Waterloo Road allows me to be serious, dramatic and sometimes a little bit David Brent-ish! As there's comedy involved too, there's many different dynamics to the job and that's why I love it so much."

We know that you have teaching experience in real life as you give drama and film classes. Does that help with playing a teacher on screen?
    "I think it does! Myself and Simon are very different, but in terms of our teaching style, we're probably in the same ball park. I think Simon is quite a fair person when he teaches, as he likes to make people feel that they're on the same level as him. That may be a conscious choice with Simon, but I think I'm naturally like that.

"My relationship with students is one of trust, especially because I'm teaching drama and filmmaking, which is very creative. You can't play a strict teacher role in that kind of medium - instead you have to go in and be a really honest, open person. So I think we have similar styles, even though our personalities are very different. But I'm certainly not as ambitious as Simon!"

Waterloo Road bosses have signed up Neil Pearson and Nicola Stephenson as two new cast members.

The new recruits have already started filming with the BBC One drama and will play teaching duo Vaughan Fitzgerald and Allie Westbrook.

Neil Pearson as Vaughan Fitzgerald in Waterloo Road
    Neil Pearson as Vaughan Fitzgerald

Vaughan and Allie will appear on screen in series ten, which is due to air next year.

Pearson has appeared in various TV shows over the years, but is best known for his role as Dave Charnley in Drop the Dead Donkey.

Speaking of joining Waterloo Road, he commented: "Waterloo Road has a long and successful history, an impressive list of alumni, and a highly talented and enthusiastic cast. All of which makes me very excited to be joining my new school."

Stephenson's acting credits include Brookside, Holby City and Clocking Off.

Waterloo Road's executive producer Brian Park commented: "We're absolutely thrilled to have such high-quality actors like Neil and Nicola on board. Neil is one of the country's most recognised television acting talents and Nicola's drama credentials speak for themselves.

"This new pairing are going to make quite an impact on the school when they arrive on screen. We know the viewers are going to love watching them in action."

Waterloo Road's ninth series is currently airing on Thursdays at 8pm on BBC One.

'Waterloo Road' Rebecca Craven: 'Rhiannon will be inconsolable'

Waterloo Road's Rhiannon Salt faces another tough time in this week's episode as some saucy photos of her are spread around the school.

The story kicks off when Rhiannon makes the mistake of sending the pictures to her new love interest Darren Hughes.

Earlier this week, Digital Spy chatted to Rebecca Craven - who plays Rhiannon - to hear how her character copes with the embarrassing situation.

What was this episode like to film?
    "This episode for me was a hard one, but it was a good challenge because Rhiannon goes on a bit of a rollercoaster. There's so many emotions that she goes through, so there's quite a big journey from beginning to end. That was challenging to film, but it was also great to do."

How does the storyline begin?
    "At the beginning of this week's episode, Rhiannon is very under-confident because she hasn't got a date for the school disco and she's feeling a bit left out. Dynasty then helps out by offering to give Rhiannon a makeover. Rhiannon is a bit apprehensive at first because she isn't really a girly girl and doesn't want to wear too much make-up, but when the makeover is revealed and she sees everyone's positive reaction, she is really pleased.

"This all provides Rhiannon with massive confidence to go and ask Darren out. When he says yes, Rhiannon is elated."

What is it about Darren that has caught Rhiannon's eye?
    "Rhiannon just thinks that he's quite a funny lad. He's a bit of a class clown and Rhiannon reckons he'd be fun to go to the disco with. They're also from similar backgrounds, so she thinks they'll get on really well. Rhiannon just wants a date so she looks around that morning and thinks, 'Well, he's alright!' Some of the girls aren't so sure, but Rhiannon is just happy to have a date!"

What happens next?
    "Darren asks Rhiannon to send some inappropriate pictures. She agrees because she's scared that he might cancel the date if she doesn't. Unfortunately, she's then left in complete turmoil because the pictures get spread around the school."

Barry Barry is very much involved in this, so is he being a bad influence on Darren?
    "Yes, it's peer pressure. Throughout series nine, you'll see that Darren succumbs to the peer pressure of Barry because he wants to be more like him - the lad of the school. Barry basically says that if Rhiannon is willing to give her number out so quickly, what else is she willing to give out? Darren isn't so sure that it's a good idea, but Barry rules the roost at the school and eventually talks him into asking Rhiannon for the pictures.

"Darren is quite an immature character, so he really doesn't realise what he's letting himself in for and how much trouble he's going to get into. It's not nasty and vindictive on Darren's part."

Is it Darren or Barry who spreads the pictures around?
    "Barry grabs the phone and forces Darren to send him the pictures. Barry is very much the ringleader of it all."

How does Rhiannon react when she finds out the pictures are being shared?
    "First of all, she's in science class and she notices that everyone is on their phones. When she finds out why, the initial reaction she has is absolute anger. She's furious at Darren, so she finds him down in a classroom and literally tries to beat lumps out of him!

"Rhiannon is so humiliated and angry, so the realisation that she's the laughing stock of the school then sets in. She's inconsolable and distraught. Rhiannon is a broken mess until Sonya and Christine talk to her, promising that everything's going to be okay."

Rhiannon gets the support of the other female students, doesn't she?
    "Yes, Dynasty and Imogen have got her back and are really annoyed at Barry and Darren for what they've done. Sonya then rallies the girls round to humiliate the boys. They go into the boys' changing rooms and take photos of them while they're coming out of the showers in PE. That is obviously not the right thing to do, so Christine is furious at Sonya and calls a massive school assembly about how serious the situation is."

Do you hope this makes an impact on the viewers? It's quite a topical storyline.
    "Absolutely. What's great about Waterloo Road is that it's a programme people can watch as a family. There are lots of issues raised on the show and parents can then discuss it with their children.

"This is a great storyline to have and I'm really chuffed about it. With this generation, so many people are on social networking sites and iPhone apps. It only takes one click for a picture to be sent around the whole school, so I think this story is a great way to raise awareness.

"Another thing is that whenever a young person goes through something like this, they'll probably think they're the only ones in that situation. Watching my character go through it is a great way to show teenagers that they're not alone."

Can you give us any other gossip on what's coming up for Rhiannon?
    "I'm always very busy at work, which is a great thing - I'm really lucky. I've got quite a busy schedule, as Rhiannon is always being feisty and getting into trouble! There'll be some trouble for Rhiannon at the schoolhouse with Harley, Maggie and Grantly, but apart from that, you'll have to wait and see…"

The last time we spoke, Rhiannon was the villain in a bullying storyline. How have the viewers' reactions to her changed since then?
    "It's great, because I came into the show with a big bang and Rhiannon provoked a reaction because she was such a bully. Once her self-harm story aired, people warmed to her a lot more. At the end of the day, she is a character that every school will have - a feisty girl who just wants to be liked by everyone but has a mouth that she can't control! The reception that I've had has been fantastic. There's been a positive turnaround."

Which aspect of her personality do you prefer playing?
    "I love it when Rhiannon is being the class clown and doing little pranks. All sides of her are great, but the bullying has definitely gone now."

We know that Grantly is leaving the show very soon. Were you sad to say goodbye to Philip Martin Brown, who plays him?
    "Definitely - he's like the King of Waterloo Road! He was great to have on set and he's really missed. I like that he became a bit of a father figure for Rhiannon at the schoolhouse. We had loads of fun with the scenes we filmed."

Have you made many friends among the new cast members who have joined for this series?
    "Yes, especially Joe Slater and Mark Beswick who play Lenny and Darren. They are the funniest boys I've ever met in my life, and I'm sort of their mum now, because they're so young and away from home! I'm looking after them and teaching them how to use the washing machine and how to cook!"

How do you feel about Katie McGlynn, who played your Waterloo Road rival Scout, moving on to Coronation Street?
    "I'm so proud. Katie is one of my best friends and we speak as often as we can. She's doing fantastically well. I recently saw her at the TV Choice Awards, where Corrie won 'Best Soap'. I know that she's absolutely loving it there at Corrie, and it's great to see her moving on to bigger and better things. She's a talented one, that girl!"

'Waterloo Road' Philip Martin Brown: 'I didn't expect show to last'

Waterloo Road star Philip Martin Brown has said that he didn't expect the show to last more than two series.

The actor is due to bow out of his role as Grantly Budgen, having played him since series one.

Philip Martin Brown as Grantly Budgen in Waterloo Road
    © BBC / Shed Productions (WR)
    Philip Martin Brown

Speaking to Inside Soap, Brown said: "I thought Waterloo Road had two series in it - but lo and behold, it has gone on and on!

"It just goes from strength to strength, and I've had a ball playing Grantly. He's had such a variety of storylines - all the way from tragedy to comedy breakdancing."

Speaking about filming his final scenes, Brown added: "I didn't think filming my last episode would be emotional - but it was.

"There were some real emotions thrown into those scenes."

Waterloo Road fans will see Tariq Siddiqui make a return later this month.

Naveed Choudhry has reprised the role of Tariq for one episode, which will air on October 17.

Inside Soap Awards 2012 - Red Carpet Arrivals: Naveed Choudhry
    © PA Images / Ian West/PA Wire
    Naveed Choudhry

Shortly after returning, Tariq will find himself offering support to Maggie Budgen (Melanie Hill) in the wake of her husband Grantly's emotional exit storyline.

Choudhry told What's On TV: "It's been a hard secret to keep. Lots of Waterloo Road fans ask me on Twitter about Tariq coming back, so I've been saying 'You never know!' I've kept it guarded."

He added: "I can't help but respond to questions like that on Twitter. It's such a great forum to interact with fans of the show - when I was young there was nothing like that.

"I often get asked about how to get into acting, and it's nice to be able to point people in the right direction."

Tariq's exit storyline aired last year and saw him leave the school in order to focus on training for the Paralympics.

Waterloo Road airs on Thursdays at 8pm on BBC One.

Thread Information