Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atlantis

Atlantis

BBC One has announced the cast for its new family drama Atlantis.

The fantasy series is being tipped as a replacement for the popular Merlin, which concluded on Christmas Eve, 2012.

Mark Addy (Game of Thrones), Juliet Stevenson (The Village), Sarah Parish (Monroe) and Jemima Rooper (Lost in Austen) will all star in the series.

The quartet are joined by War Horse actor Robert Emms, Dancing On The Edge star Jack Donnelly and Djinn's Aiysha Hart.

"I am very excited to be invited along on this epic adventure," said Mark Addy. "The scripts bring to life ancient myths with such a vibrancy and sense of humour; I knew I wanted to be a part of it."

Sarah Parish added that she is "thrilled" to be part of such an "exciting project", while Juliet Stevenson described herself as "delighted" with her role and "looking forward to a great adventure".

A 13-part series, Atlantis is set in a time of legendary heroes, mythical creatures and gods, with Greek myths and legends re-imagined for a new generation.

Howard Overman (Misfits) is creator and head writer for the drama, which will be exec produced by Merlin's Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy.

"The fantastic cast announced for Atlantis is testament to the ambition and scale of Howard Overman's scripts," said Ben Stephenson, Controller of BBC Drama Commissioning.

"Some of the UK's best-loved actors are joining our newest talent to take the BBC One audience to a rich and wonderful world where any adventure is possible."

Filming on Atlantis will begin in April in Wales and Morocco, for transmission in the autumn.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (02-04-2013)

The first trailer for BBC's Atlantis has premiered.

The new series - billed as the channel's replacement for Merlin - will arrive on screens this autumn.

Featuring Robert Emms, Jack Donnelly and Mark Addy, the trailer offers viewers a first glimpse of what to expect from the new show.

The fantasy series is from Merlin co-creators Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy and Misfits writer Howard Overman.

It follows the young Greek hero Jason as he arrives on the mysterious island of Atlantis, where he encounters new friends, magic and monsters.

The series synopsis states: "The city of Atlantis is a mysterious, ancient place; a world of bull leaping, of snake-haired goddesses and of palaces so vast it was said they were built by giants.

Robert Emms, Jack Donnelly and Mark Addy in 'Atlantis' poster
    © BBC / Little Monster Films/Nick Briggs
    Robert Emms, Jack Donnelly and Mark Addy in 'Atlantis' poster

"It's into this strange, compelling realm that the young Jason arrives and an amazing adventure begins, bringing to life the vast store of Greek myths and legends reimagined for a new generation."

The 13-part series will launch on BBC America in late 2013, following the show's UK premiere.

Juliet Stevenson (The Village), Sarah Parish (Monroe) and Jemima Rooper (Lost in Austen) will all star.

Atlantis, what can I say?

Take a cauldron full of Greek myths, stir it up, mixing names and locations thoroughly to ensure that nothing remains that would be recognisable by any reader of Homer, Hesiod or Ovid.

It is good fun but you couldn't even call it reinvention for a new age. No-one will learn Greek myths from this show.

Atlantis, what can I say?

Take a cauldron full of Greek myths, stir it up, mixing names and locations thoroughly to ensure that nothing remains that would be recognisable by any reader of Homer, Hesiod or Ovid.

It is good fun but you couldn't even call it reinvention for a new age. No-one will learn Greek myths from this show.

Dreadful episode yesterday - but I watched it anyway.

Testing using different browser - this and the previous post was using Puffin

Now back to using Safari

been watching this in work.....loved every minute personally.

Quote Originally Posted by deadlydave2 View Post
    been watching this in work.....loved every minute personally.
    I haven't been watching because it sounded like a poor replacement for my beloved Merlin, but I might give it a go if it's repeated on BBC3.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

deadlydave2 (08-12-2013)

I would recommend it def. Think its great! Merlin was good yes but I have preferred Atlantis!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlydave2 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (09-12-2013)

Thread Information