Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finn O'Connor

Finn O'Connor

Hollyoaks bosses are bringing back Finn O'Connor with a new actor in the role, Digital Spy can exclusively confirm.

Keith Rice has taken over the part of Finn and has already begun filming with the Channel 4 soap.

© WENN
    Keith Rice

Finn - brother of Sinead and stepson of Diane - was previously played by Connor Wilkinson for a year from September 2010. The character later departed the village to live with his father Rob.

The teenager's return scenes will air in mid-April, making the O'Connor clan a bigger presence in the village again.

Alex Fletcher, who plays Diane, first hinted at Finn's return in an interview with Digital Spy last month.

She said at the time: "I think it's nice to have that single mum and daughter situation. That's the reality of life and there's a lot of single parents out there. Although I do like that, it's not to say that the rest of the family won't make a comeback. It may not be just the two of us forever."

Finn's biggest storyline was an underage sex plot in 2010, which saw him father a baby daughter with Amber Sharpe.

New recruit Rice has previously appeared in Little Crackers, Small Creatures and Casualty 1907.

Hollyoaks airs weeknights at 6.30pm on Channel 4, with first look screenings at 7pm on E4.

Hollyoaks returns to Hollyoaks with a bang next week as he is run over by Robbie Roscoe.

As Digital Spy exclusively revealed last month, show bosses have recast the role of Finn, recruiting actor Keith Rice to take over the part.

The build-up to the teen's return begins next Monday (April 15), as Sinead's father Rob arrives back in the village to deliver the shocking news that Finn is missing.

As Diane worries about her stepson's wellbeing, Sinead (Stephanie Davis) seeks a distraction from the family drama by blagging herself an invite to attend an all-night gig with Robbie and Callum Kane.

Callum (Laurie Duncan) has agreed to sell drugs for Robbie (Charlie Wernham) at the gig, but as the boys and Sinead are on their way to the venue in a stolen van, they're left horrified as they suddenly knock someone over.

The troublesome trio soon flee the scene, but later that night Diane gets a visit from two police officers who tell her that Finn has been injured in a hit and run.

Rushing to the hospital, Diane struggles to cope with the latest O'Connor crisis, while Sinead feels terrible at being involved in running over her own brother.

When Finn wakes up the next morning, he can barely remember what happened. However, that doesn't stop Robbie from visiting him with a startling ultimatum - he's responsible for the hit and run, but if Finn tells the police, he'll make sure Sinead goes down with him. How will Finn react?

Finn was previously played by Connor Wilkinson for a year from September 2010. The character later departed the village to live with his father Rob.

New recruit Rice has previously appeared in three-part children's series Rocket's Island, which was made by Hollyoaks' production company Lime Pictures. His other screen credits include parts in Little Crackers, Small Creatures and Casualty 1907.

Hollyoaks airs these scenes on Tuesday, April 16 and Wednesday, April 17 at 6.30pm on Channel 4.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (12-04-2013)

Hollyoaks teen Finn O'Connor makes a dramatic return next week with a new actor playing the part.

Keith Rice has taken over the role of Finn, who's at the centre of a big storyline from the outset as he is injured in a hit and run.

We recently chatted to newcomer Keith to hear more about Finn's return and his experience joining the show.

How are you finding life at Hollyoaks?
    "I'm finding it so easy, to be honest with you. Working with Alex Fletcher (Diane) makes it very easy for me and it's the same with Steph Davis (Sinead). I feel quite settled in now.

"I've had experience with acting before, so I think everything comes to me quite naturally. But because it's such a big cast, it does take a couple of weeks to settle in and find your place. I've done that now, so I'm really enjoying it."

How do you feel about playing a character who's been recast?
    "It's been okay - from his history, I know that Finn's got a child and in the past he's been quite settled within the family. With Finn coming back now, there's a lot more that can be explored. There's a lot we can look at in terms of Finn's place in the family and really getting to know him."

You've worked with Lime Pictures before on Rocket's Island, so did you have to audition or did they already have you in mind?
    "I had to audition for Hollyoaks, but I did know a writer who had worked on the show called Nick Leather. He was a real help in terms of getting to know the casting director. I then got a phone call to come to an audition for a role, but they didn't tell me specifically who I was auditioning for.

"When I came into Lime, I thought I was auditioning for a member of the new Roscoe family. But obviously they'd seen that Finn could have been brought back in some capacity - and I was obviously a Liverpool lad auditioning. I think that's where it all came from."

© Lime Pictures
    Finn's dramatic return scene

Finn's return scene sees him get run over by Sinead and Robbie. How did you feel about getting such a dramatic entrance?
    "It's brilliant for me as an actor to come in with such a bang. There are some characters who come in and aren't really focused on, but straight away Finn has come in and he's got a storyline.

"First of all, Finn is run over and then he's got Robbie threatening him at the hospital not to grass his own sister up. It's quite a big decision straight away for Finn as to whether he tells the police what really happened, or whether he doesn't.

"That decision then sets the ball rolling for Finn in terms of future storylines, which is great as well."

How bad are Finn's injuries?
    "Finn's injuries are quite bad, but it's not too much to set him back. A couple of weeks on, he'll be back to his normal routine - they won't keep him out for long!"

Why has Finn decided to come into the village at this point?
    "Finn's father Rob has just had a baby, so he feels slightly pushed out. Other stuff has been going on too, so he just feels the need to come back to the Hollyoaks village and be back with Diane and Sinead. Finn calls Diane 'mum' even though she's not his biological mother, so I think that's what draws him back."

Is it easy to make friends among the cast?
    "Extremely easy! Everyone's so nice, so it's very easy to settle in. As I said, it does take a couple of weeks to find your place, but I've done that now and I'm happy."

How does Hollyoaks compare to your previous work?
    "I've never been part of something this big before. For me, the first week was definitely a bit of a blur!"

How did you get into acting?
    "I'm the only person in my family who's actually gone into acting. It was through school that I was able to get into it - I was able to do film clubs after school and it was something that I was quite comfortable doing. I wasn't really good at Maths at school, but I was good at English and I always found stories to be quite interesting.

"I think it was quite a natural draw for me to take up drama. One thing led to another and before I knew it, I got a little part on Casualty 1907, where I played a little Cockney newspaper seller. It was working on that which opened my eyes to it. I was only 13 but I remember telling my dad that acting was what I wanted to do."

What are your interests outside of acting?
    "I love football and I'm a massive Liverpool fan. If you check my Twitter out, I think it's all I tweet about - football and boxing!"

As you mentioned, regular viewers will know that Finn is a teenage father. Would you like that to be explored more?
    "Well, when I spoke to the producer Bryan Kirkwood, this is one of the things that came up. When Finn has grown up and found himself, a storyline could be explored in terms of the baby coming back to his life. Obviously Diane is pregnant and Sinead is too, so it would be quite good. But that might be a bit of an O'Connor overload in terms of babies, so who knows what'll happen?
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Hollyoaks teen Finn O'Connor makes a dramatic return next week with a new actor playing the part.

Keith Rice has taken over the role of Finn, who's at the centre of a big storyline from the outset as he is injured in a hit and run.

We recently chatted to newcomer Keith to hear more about Finn's return and his experience joining the show.

How are you finding life at Hollyoaks?
    "I'm finding it so easy, to be honest with you. Working with Alex Fletcher (Diane) makes it very easy for me and it's the same with Steph Davis (Sinead). I feel quite settled in now.

"I've had experience with acting before, so I think everything comes to me quite naturally. But because it's such a big cast, it does take a couple of weeks to settle in and find your place. I've done that now, so I'm really enjoying it."

How do you feel about playing a character who's been recast?
    "It's been okay - from his history, I know that Finn's got a child and in the past he's been quite settled within the family. With Finn coming back now, there's a lot more that can be explored. There's a lot we can look at in terms of Finn's place in the family and really getting to know him."

You've worked with Lime Pictures before on Rocket's Island, so did you have to audition or did they already have you in mind?
    "I had to audition for Hollyoaks, but I did know a writer who had worked on the show called Nick Leather. He was a real help in terms of getting to know the casting director. I then got a phone call to come to an audition for a role, but they didn't tell me specifically who I was auditioning for.

"When I came into Lime, I thought I was auditioning for a member of the new Roscoe family. But obviously they'd seen that Finn could have been brought back in some capacity - and I was obviously a Liverpool lad auditioning. I think that's where it all came from."

© Lime Pictures
    Finn's dramatic return scene

Finn's return scene sees him get run over by Sinead and Robbie. How did you feel about getting such a dramatic entrance?
    "It's brilliant for me as an actor to come in with such a bang. There are some characters who come in and aren't really focused on, but straight away Finn has come in and he's got a storyline.

"First of all, Finn is run over and then he's got Robbie threatening him at the hospital not to grass his own sister up. It's quite a big decision straight away for Finn as to whether he tells the police what really happened, or whether he doesn't.

"That decision then sets the ball rolling for Finn in terms of future storylines, which is great as well."

How bad are Finn's injuries?
    "Finn's injuries are quite bad, but it's not too much to set him back. A couple of weeks on, he'll be back to his normal routine - they won't keep him out for long!"

Why has Finn decided to come into the village at this point?
    "Finn's father Rob has just had a baby, so he feels slightly pushed out. Other stuff has been going on too, so he just feels the need to come back to the Hollyoaks village and be back with Diane and Sinead. Finn calls Diane 'mum' even though she's not his biological mother, so I think that's what draws him back."

Is it easy to make friends among the cast?
    "Extremely easy! Everyone's so nice, so it's very easy to settle in. As I said, it does take a couple of weeks to find your place, but I've done that now and I'm happy."

How does Hollyoaks compare to your previous work?
    "I've never been part of something this big before. For me, the first week was definitely a bit of a blur!"

How did you get into acting?
    "I'm the only person in my family who's actually gone into acting. It was through school that I was able to get into it - I was able to do film clubs after school and it was something that I was quite comfortable doing. I wasn't really good at Maths at school, but I was good at English and I always found stories to be quite interesting.

"I think it was quite a natural draw for me to take up drama. One thing led to another and before I knew it, I got a little part on Casualty 1907, where I played a little Cockney newspaper seller. It was working on that which opened my eyes to it. I was only 13 but I remember telling my dad that acting was what I wanted to do."

What are your interests outside of acting?
    "I love football and I'm a massive Liverpool fan. If you check my Twitter out, I think it's all I tweet about - football and boxing!"

As you mentioned, regular viewers will know that Finn is a teenage father. Would you like that to be explored more?
    "Well, when I spoke to the producer Bryan Kirkwood, this is one of the things that came up. When Finn has grown up and found himself, a storyline could be explored in terms of the baby coming back to his life. Obviously Diane is pregnant and Sinead is too, so it would be quite good. But that might be a bit of an O'Connor overload in terms of babies, so who knows what'll happen?
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

lizann (11-04-2013), tammyy2j (12-04-2013)

I wonder will we see his child and Amber back as well

There is a big storyline coming up for him and Robbie

Hollyoaks: Keith Rice on male rape storyline, Finn's future

Hollyoaks actor Keith Rice takes centre stage in a hard-hitting storyline next week as the Channel 4 soap explores the issue of male rape.

Upcoming episodes see John Paul McQueen (James Sutton) discover that Rice's character Finn O'Connor and troublesome Robbie Roscoe have been involved in an attempted robbery. When Robbie orders his friend to keep John Paul quiet, Finn sexually assaults the teacher as he tries to stay in control of the situation.

The attack itself takes place off-screen, but will spark a long-running story which explores the consequences for both victim and perpetrator.

Digital Spy recently caught up with Keith to hear his thoughts on the dark plot and what's ahead.

Can you tell us about the research you've done for this storyline?
    "Myself and James both dedicated ourselves to the storyline when our producer Bryan Kirkwood told us about it. As an actor, it's natural to want to do as much research as possible. We both worked with a company in Manchester called Survivors and its founder Duncan Craig, and he was absolutely brilliant. He was so open and he told us a lot of truths about the issue.

"Naturally you have your worries and your concerns, but Duncan answered absolutely everything. We found out not only about the victim's point of view but also the perpetrator's point of view, and after what Duncan told us, we both felt comfortable to really ease ourselves into our roles and the scenes. A lot of research also went on from the whole team at Hollyoaks - it's brilliant that everyone has put so much time and effort into it."

It's an issue many of us don't know much about, so did anything in the research particularly surprise you?
    "Quite a lot came up in the research that was eye-opening. To a lot of people, what actually goes on in these cases isn't really known. I personally didn't really understand the mindset of a rapist, but what I found out was that it's not sexually-driven - instead the majority of male rapes are basically men taking away someone else's manliness. There's no sexual meaning behind the rape at all, and for me that's a massive help, because Finn isn't gay.

"In the storyline, Finn's actions are much more to do with power, status and making a grown man feel so powerless and worthless. Finn wants to be in control of the situation, when he's never been able to do that before.

"In the scenes coming up, you see a complete change in Finn. We've already seen signs that Finn wants to go further than Robbie does, which is leading up to what happens next."

How do you feel about taking on such a serious storyline?
    "With everyone at work and at home, I've got the right people around to support me, so I feel comfortable enough to do the role. As long as everything is done right and we all come together, I believe we can make really good drama - and I think that's what we've done so far."

It's a surprising direction for Finn, so how did you feel about that?
    "When I first joined Hollyoaks, I played Finn as the nervous kid who always stood in the background, but I believe that I can take Finn on a really brilliant journey from when I first joined to what we've got coming up.

"Bryan has given me some great episodes to take Finn on that journey and I'm grateful that he's given me that time and the dedication."

What can you tell us about the aftermath of the rape? Does Finn have any regrets about what he's done to John Paul?
    "Finn doesn't understand what he's done. From his point of view, he's only assaulted John Paul. Finn doesn't feel that he's sexually assaulted him and he doesn't understand the full implications. He only feels the consequences will be that John Paul won't say anything to him anymore, and that he'll always be in control of John Paul. Finn feels that he doesn't have to go after John Paul again and hurt him even more, because of what he's done.

"That's what Finn gets an adrenaline kick from - the feeling that John Paul is literally paralysed by shock and fear, so it's the student who's now in control rather than the teacher. Finn gets such a rush from knowing that he's in control of a grown man, so he doesn't really understand the full consequences of what he's done.

"There are also scenes after the rape where Finn doesn't blame himself - he blames John Paul for putting himself in the situation. Finn's only 16, so he's never going to understand the full picture."

As a young actor, have any of the scenes been challenging to play?
    "I'm only 19 years of age and I think that a lot of people have to wait a long time for a really good storyline to arise. For me, I'm just so pleased that Bryan has seen enough of me on screen to put trust in me to do this storyline. When you have that belief and trust around you, I think that really helps you to ease into a role.

"It hasn't really been a case of finding the scenes challenging, it's more that going home and switching off afterwards has been challenging. When I'm on set filming the scenes, me and James get along really well, so there's nothing to be worried or scared about. I also wouldn't have put myself in the acting industry if I was going to turn a storyline down, so I'm completely comfortable with everything we've done."

What have James and Charlie Wernham (Robbie) been like to work with on the storyline?
    "James and Charlie have both been fantastic. James is a Liverpool fan like me, so every moment that we get to switch off from doing the scenes, we're talking about football. I hadn't worked with James much before this, so it's always great to work with someone new. Charlie's also a really good lad - I've worked with him ever since I joined the show, so we have a really good relationship."

What do you think of the decision to explore the issue of male rape on a show like Hollyoaks?
    "I think it's absolutely brilliant that Hollyoaks are doing the storyline. When we spoke to Duncan, we found out that these cases still happen now but people don't really understand the issue. We do get a lot of viewers for Hollyoaks and I believe the audience figures have increased recently, so we hope we've done a good enough job so that people will watch and have a better understanding of what does go on."

What does this mean for Finn's future on the show? Is there still a long journey ahead?
    "This is literally only the start of the bullying campaign. In the last two months on screen, you've seen the start of what will be a long and really horrific bullying campaign that carries on after the rape, so I'm not going anywhere yet."

How supportive have your on-screen family members like Alex Fletcher (Diane) been?
    "They've all been fantastic and everyone has been so supportive. Alex Fletcher has been a massive help. I've had scenes after the rape where it gets really tense on screen, because Finn is hiding what he's done. There's a scene where it's Finn's birthday and the family are celebrating, but Finn has just raped John Paul.

"For us to film those scenes was really horrific, but off-screen Alex is a lovely woman and she's really helped me settle in the show since I started. She's still helping me now and gives me little bits of advice, so I'm learning every day on set. I think this is the best place to learn your craft."

Hollyoaks airs weeknights at 6.30pm on Channel 4, with first look screenings at 7pm on E4.

wonder what will happen to Finn after this storyline will he have a future on the show or will they get rid of him.

Quote Originally Posted by me12345 View Post
    wonder what will happen to Finn after this storyline will he have a future on the show or will they get rid of him.
    send him to jail, way too many escape punishment in hollyoaks

that's not what I meant.

Thread Information