Corrie kicks off Ryan Connor's new fling storyline this evening (Friday, February 22), as Katy Armstrong catches his eye at a party.

Ryan sees Katy (Georgia May Foote) in a whole new light in tonight's double bill after she glams herself up for her friend's 18th birthday celebration at the Bistro.

Keen to spend more time with the young mum, Ryan later convinces Katy to start working alongside him at the kebab shop. It's clear that the pair have chemistry as they get to know each other better, but how far will their new relationship go?

Digital Spy recently caught up with Sol Heras, who plays Ryan, to hear his thoughts on the story and what's to come.

Were you surprised when you found out about Katy cheating on Chesney with Ryan?
"I was! It was Georgia who found out first, and then she told me about it. I think Chesney and Katy have been a really great couple and obviously they've got a baby together too, so it was a surprise to hear that they could be breaking up.

"But it's nice for me to have a story with a girl where it's actually romantic, rather than Ryan just being teased by Tracy Barlow! It's also great working with Georgia, as she's the sweetest girl and she's a fantastic actress."

How and why do Katy and Ryan start growing closer?
"Well, Ryan has only really had two or three short scenes with Katy in the past eight months, so it's a surprise when it all gets started. The story kicks off when Ryan is working as a DJ at Katy's friend's 18th birthday party. The girls are all dolled up in their going-out clothes, and Ryan's interest is 100% on Katy when he notices how pretty she looks."

Does Ryan feel any guilt about pursuing somebody who's unavailable?
"For once, Ryan's actually not the bad guy in the whole story! He doesn't make any definite attempt to get with Katy, or lead her on in any way. Their paths just cross through work, because Katy gets a job at the kebab shop. There's some flirtation and it builds and builds, but there isn't really a definite moment where one makes a move on the other - it's very mutual."

Is Ryan looking for fun, or a more serious relationship?
"Ryan's had a lot of fun since he's come back, but this attraction to Katy is a bolt from the blue. I think Ryan is really enjoying himself, because he now has a girl his own age who he can flirt with at work. At the time, Ryan's not really looking for fun - it's an attraction that's creeping up on him bit by bit. The more time goes on, the more he likes Katy."

Why have things gone wrong for Katy and Chesney?
"I think they're a very young couple and they've had to grow up very quickly with having the baby. They're struggling for money, so they're not able to do the things that people their age would normally do.

"Katy is not used to receiving romantic attention from anyone other than Chesney, because she's usually home with the baby. She's taken aback by it, but it's nice for her to have that interest."

How do things progress between Ryan and Katy?
"When they're working together at the kebab shop, they bounce off each other really well. There's a lot of flirtation and chemistry between them. As the days go by, they get even more playful and there's a little incident where a kiss happens. It snowballs and they both realise they like each other.

"There's another time where Ryan has to pick up some equipment from town, so he borrows Chesney's van. Katy comes along with him, and Ryan gives her an ultimatum to see how she really feels. He says that if she does like him, she'll meet him after work and they'll sneak off together.

"That night, Ryan waits and waits, and she eventually turns up. They go off to town together without anyone knowing…"

Do we see much guilt from Katy?
"Yeah, there's definitely a mental struggle because she knows what she's doing is wrong. She's a young mum, she loves Joseph and she loves Chesney. But for her, this is something she's never experienced before, so she's enjoying the fun element of it.

"Katy's in two minds about how far this should go, but she does enjoy the risk of going out with Ryan. He's a bit of a rogue, a bit of an idiot, and a bit more fun than her dull life with Chesney!"

Would Ryan take on the baggage that comes with dating a young mum?
"Well, Ryan was more than happy with the idea of marrying Tracy Barlow when he thought she was pregnant, so I think if it came down to that, it'd be alright.

"At the minute, I don't think Ryan is thinking that far ahead, though. They don't know how far it's going to go."

Should Ryan be wary of Chesney finding out?
"Of course! Ryan has befriended Chesney and they're getting along a lot better now. He wouldn't want to hurt his feelings, because he knows how much Chesney loves Katy.

"But Ryan has become so blindsided by how much he likes Katy himself, so any consideration for Chesney's feelings is taking a back seat. I think Ryan is more than happy to risk the consequences!"

After his storyline last year, do you think Ryan is off drugs for good now?
"I'd like to say so, but I think if you pick up a bad habit, there's always the chance of it coming back at some point. But I think this new storyline with Katy is really nice because it's grounding Ryan a little bit. He's coming across a bit more like a human being, rather than just a pain in the backside for everyone.

"This story isn't just about him going out and causing trouble for people for no reason, as he does genuinely like Katy. I think this storyline should hopefully show Ryan in a different light!"

With Phil Collinson leaving and Stuart Blackburn taking over as producer, how do you feel about having a new boss?
"I think it's exciting for everyone. Obviously there's an element where things are going to change and no-one's sure what's going to happen, but it's interesting to see what new things Stuart will bring to the show.

"Phil Collinson brought me into Corrie, and he's a fantastic guy. He's done such a brilliant job on Corrie, as you can tell with how fantastic the ratings are now. It's the best soap going. Now it's going to be fun to see what changes Stuart makes. He did a great job at Emmerdale, so everyone's excited to see what he does here."

Can you name any highlights from your time at Corrie so far?
"Every day coming into work is a highlight. It's so nice to drive through the gates, park your car and then walk into the green room which is full of fantastic actors. It's great to be part of such a big show, so I think I'd struggle to pick a single highlight."

Has your life changed much since joining the show?
"Not really, as I still do the same things I always have. I go to see United with my dad, which I have done for the past nine or ten years. I see my family all the time, I go out to my local town, and I still hang round with all of the same friends.

"You can buy into a different sort of lifestyle if you want that, but I was happy before with my life. This is just a case of adding to it by having a great job!"