Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobby Beale

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    I feel very strongly that Ian and Jane need to stay just on the right side of sympathetic for this story to work. They have so far in my opinion, because their cover-up has been a desperate attempt to keep their beloved Bobby innocent (from their perspective anyway), which is why I understand their actions even while vehemently disagreeing with them. However, that'll quickly change if they allow someone innocent to go down for Lucy's murder. There'll be no way back from that for Ian and Jane.

Dean would work as a scapegoat, and I'd be more than happy to see him off the streets (and off my screen) and posing no danger to the women of Walford (although the truth about the rape still needs to come out for Linda's sake). Otherwise, Max needs to be released quickly or Jane confess to the murder (although I don't want her to leave). Leaving Max to rot in jail for a year (even if Ian and Jane are hoping he'll be found innocent at trial) will be going too far in my opinion.

That might be the point of course, as Storyseeker1 says above, but I won't enjoy the story as much if I can no longer sympathise with Jane and Ian's unenviable predicament.
    I agree. I disliked Ben being in the frame and Ian standing by for that reason. It was pushing the limits for me that Ian would allow his brother to be held for even one day.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kim For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (31-07-2015)

I really don't understand the logic behind this story, Bobby is a minor and it was an accident...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dougie For This Useful Post:

Perdita (31-07-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    I really don't understand the logic behind this story, Bobby is a minor and it was an accident...
    You are considered criminally responsible for your own actions at 10. Bobby was 10 at the time, so there would have been some punishment. Considering Ben only got four years (and of course you can be out in less on licence) for a similar offence aged 16, having form for hitting people with objects (Jordan Johnson) and having lied about/concealed it, I doubt the criminal penalties were behind Jane's decision. It was probably done on impulse and maybe she'd do things differently if she could go back.

Lucy was Ian's favourite because she was the one with the ambition and Jane knew that. You only have to look at the time they had their GCSE's. Ian knew that Lucy had cheated on some of her exams, yet was prouder of her than Peter because he thought she'd done the majority by herself and got far better grades overall than Peter. Jane must also know that Bobby was a child that Ian didn't want, since he'd had a vasectomy. Jane knew about the vasectomy because there was talk of a reversal/babies for about 2 years before Steven shot Jane. She must have felt that Ian would hate Bobby and couldn't stand by and allow that to happen. Jane on the other hand preferred Bobby, having raised him as her own. While Peter acknowledged and respected Jane as his step mother, Lucy gave Jane nothing but grief for her efforts.

I think there's also the worry that having Lucy's death on his conscience would destroy Bobby and ruin his life. Being soap, he'll obviously become aware eventually, but Jane saw an opportunity to do something about it.
    Last edited by Kim; 31-07-2015 at 12:52.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kim For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (31-07-2015), Dougie (31-07-2015), parkerman (31-07-2015)

Am I the only one confused by the whole Bobby/Lucy murder thing? why is bobby acting like he didn't do anything? he caved her head in with the music box yes? so why is he wondering ' who did it? '. Surely he's old enough to know what he did?
    If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life...With confidence, you have won even before you have started. - Marcus Garvy

Quote Originally Posted by inkyskin View Post
    Am I the only one confused by the whole Bobby/Lucy murder thing? why is bobby acting like he didn't do anything? he caved her head in with the music box yes? so why is he wondering ' who did it? '. Surely he's old enough to know what he did?
    He is. It was explained that Jane convinced him that it wasn't him. She told him that Lucy came around and went back out, so as far as Bobby knows a 'bad man' hurt her after she'd gone back out. If it were me I think I'd wonder seeing as he hadn't seen her alive since he hit her, but I guess he doesn't think that Jane would have disposed of Lucy's body or lied to him.

We don't know how long it took Jane to convince Bobby that he was innocent, though I guess he's not old enough to understand that an injury can be caused and yet not result in death until later (Pauline Fowler style) so that makes it easier. Not knowing how it was that Lucy's blood ended up on Max's shoes, maybe it helps Ian and Jane's conscience - he may have inflicted some kind of injury too for all they know.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kim For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (31-07-2015), inkyskin (04-08-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    It wasn't an accident, it was a very deliberate and unprovoked attack. Bobby was punishing Lucy for what he saw as her bringing strife to the family. He didn't deliberately kill her, but there's something very wrong with him to cold-bloodedly batter his sister like that.

Adults can be charged with murder for causing a death like Bobby did - even if death was never intended. I've got no idea what would happen to Bobby if the truth were to come out, but I think the police would treat it very seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    I think there's also the worry that having Lucy's death on his conscience would destroy Bobby and ruin his life.
    I think that was Jane's prime motivation. I remember her saying as much in the live episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Not knowing how it was that Lucy's blood ended up on Max's shoes, maybe it helps Ian and Jane's conscience - he may have inflicted some kind of injury too for all they know.
    Yes, they might be going down that route. Ian certainly justified Ben's arrest and possible imprisonment to himself because he was angry about the mugging.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Dougie (31-07-2015), maidmarian (31-07-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    It wasn't an accident, it was a very deliberate and unprovoked attack. Bobby was punishing Lucy for what he saw as her bringing strife to the family. He didn't deliberately kill her, but there's something very wrong with him to cold-bloodedly batter his sister like that.

Adults can be charged with murder for causing a death like Bobby did - even if death was never intended. I've got no idea what would happen to Bobby if the truth were to come out, but I think the police would treat it very seriously.

I think that was Jane's prime motivation. I remember her saying as much in the live episode.

Yes, they might be going down that route. Ian certainly justified Ben's arrest and possible imprisonment to himself because he was angry about the mugging.
    I agree with a lot you have said Dazzle and I'll
    be honest and say Ive never really liked
    Jane-found her to be a bit creepy.

I couldnt watch a lot of the "Lucy" week so didn't
    follow all the clues and just hoped she would be
    the murderer -although producer did say the
    answer was a bit of cheat.

What Im wondering is-Is the reason for Bobbys
    "problem" the fact he has spent too time
    with Jane , picked up on her negativity to Lucy
    and gained the impression from her that
    he can do no wrong. So is lacking in the
    normal feelings of a child.

I understand how badly she would feel at
    not being able to have her own child but
    feel she has been extreme about it on
    some occasions.

So she invested too much in Bobby and
    was more bothered about losing control
    of him.than about Lucys death and its
    effect on him.

I know Ian is not the king of ethics- but
    hes more prone to not doing the right
    thing rathef actually doing the wrong thing.
    And Jane could run rings round him in
    the manipulation stakes- whilst seeming
    outwardly a sympathetic person.

So was a pyschopath born or made - I suppose
    is what Im wondering in this case?? Because
    I do agree it was a deliberate act on Bobbys part
    and there have been well-publicised of children
    committing murder at his age.
    Last edited by maidmarian; 01-08-2015 at 00:26.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to maidmarian For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (01-08-2015)

Dupl
    Last edited by maidmarian; 01-08-2015 at 00:25.

Quote Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
    So was a pyschopath born or made - I suppose
    is what Im wondering in this case??
    Because
    I do agree it was a deliberate act on Bobbys part
    and there have been well-publicised of children
    committing murder at his age.
    I think a big part of Bobby's development is going to be the effect of being protected from the consequences of his actions.

If this storyline's going to run for years and follows Bobby growing up (as I hope), I see his protection from the knowledge that his attack killed Lucy as exacerbating, and even enabling, the core problem. No doubt Ian and Jane will remain in denial about further disturbing behaviour until it's no longer possible to ignore it (and probably too late to change it).

As to what caused the problem in the first place - genetics? Abandonment? His mother dying when he was young and being dumped on an uncaring Ian? Feeling unwanted and/or unloved? Hopefully that'll all be explored in some depth!

He's certainly very obsessive about problems within the family, which is why he struck Lucy. I can't remember his exact words to Jane at the time, but he implied that Lucy was the cause of all the family problems and she needed to be punished.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (01-08-2015), parkerman (01-08-2015)

liam knows and next week another character will know too

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (11-08-2015), Glen1 (11-08-2015), maidmarian (11-08-2015), tammyy2j (11-08-2015)

Thread Information