Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Declan Macey

Declan Macey and Charity Sharma are once again united in a dangerous alliance next week as they become business partners.

Declan is forced to team up with Charity (Emma Atkins) after he admits that he can't give her any of the insurance payout for the Home Farm fire, despite his previous promises.

Here, Jason Merrells - who plays Declan - previews the latest twists in the storyline and offers his take on how long the businessman can get away with his scheming.

How is Declan feeling about the fire now that the dust is settling?
    "Declan has moved on from it and blotted it out. Now everything has become about getting away with it, so he's focusing on that. He had a breakdown at Christmas, but he came out of it that night because he nearly died.

"Afterwards Declan was raw, but he was picked up by Charity and she suggested this idea. It took him a while to get behind it, but once he did, he became very focused on it. Now Declan thinks that he's done really bad things and that's him now. He's going to go forward, make the best of it for his sister and get back on his feet. Declan is a forward-focused character anyway - he's not introspective."
    Does Declan feel any guilt over his actions?
    "Declan feels guilty about Sam and he feels some guilt about Rachel, but I think he buries it and blocks it out. He tells himself that it's been for Megan's welfare, because someone has to look after her. If Declan went down, nobody would be there to do that."

Next week, Declan is forced to tell Charity that he can't pay her as he'd promised. How does he feel about that?
    "I think Declan always knew that he couldn't pay Charity. How could he pay her? He'd have to give her £1.5 million which she'd struggle to explain. Declan would also struggle to explain why he didn't have the full £3 million to rebuild. It was so complicated that Declan knew it could never happen."

Why does Declan decide to make Charity a partner in the business?
    "It's to appease her, really. Declan offers Charity a partnership because he genuinely thinks that she's resourceful. He knows her well, he likes her and they have a relationship. I'm not sure whether we'd call it love, but he's deeply connected to Charity now and he can trust her. With all of that combined, Declan thinks that it's a good bet to keep Charity close. She's a dangerous woman and it's best to keep her close rather than far away."

How does Declan feel about Charity moving in with him?
    "He's happy about it - he's been trying to get in her bed since they started pretending they were having a relationship! Declan is very attracted to Charity, so it really suits him."

Is Charity pleased with the way things have turned out?
    "I think they're both pretty proud of what they've pulled off, in a twisted way. It's been horrible and Charity has her doubts about what she's done to Sam, but ultimately she's got rid of the child she wanted to get rid of, and Sam is going be okay in the long-run. Charity can appease herself on that."

How does Megan react to Charity being made a partner and moving in?
    "It's a huge thing to happen and Megan doesn't like it. She smells a rat and thinks that Charity has got something on Declan, which of course is true. Megan doesn't buy it and there'll be more on that later, I'm sure…"

Is Declan nervous that Charity could expose him if he got on the wrong side of her?
    "He wouldn't put anything past her. It would be difficult for Charity to expose Declan without exposing herself, but there are certainly things that she could do.

"That's why Declan decides to keep Charity on side, and he does like her. He tried for the golden marriage last time with Katie, but that went badly wrong. Declan thinks this is who he is now - he's dark and devious and so is Charity, so they're probably well-suited. It's a twisted marriage made in heaven."

Dan and Ali also still know the truth…
    "Yes, and I hope there is some nod to that in the story, because two people in the village that know is a ticking timebomb that's waiting to go off, however much they've been intimidated…"

Did you enjoy playing Declan's breakdown at Christmas?
    "Very much so - it was a great story and it was great to take Declan to such an extreme after playing him for quite a while. I felt that it was well-plotted and it was a wonderful experience to play those scenes.

"Declan is on his way up again now. His actions can't go unpunished forever as they don't in soap, unlike real life! Somewhere along the line Declan will get his comeuppance, I'm sure - maybe lots of times. But in the meantime, he's definitely going to get back to where he was or go even further."

Were you pleased when you heard that the writers were putting Declan and Charity back together?
    "Definitely - it's great working with Emma and I really enjoy it. She's great and we have a laugh. She's really good to bounce off and we've loved doing all the Macbeth-style stuff since Christmas!"

Last edited by tammyy2j; 28-01-2014 at 00:07.

Emmerdale star Jason Merrells has hinted that he doesn't foresee a happy ending for his character Declan Macey and the businessman's fiancée Charity.

The ruthless pair are currently preparing to get married, but Charity (Emma Atkins) is already keeping secrets from Declan in this week's episodes as she plans to terminate her pregnancy.

Confirming that things won't run smoothly for the couple, Merrells told ITV's Lorraine this morning (May 12): "It doesn't look that way, does it? I feel for him - he puts his cards on the wrong table more often than not, doesn't he?

"He's a mixture of lots of different things. He's very driven but his own self is very unexamined, so he doesn't really know what he wants. He tends to fall big time for the wrong person and make a lot of mistakes."

On Declan's attraction to Charity, he continued: "In his head she saved his life. At Christmas he was at the lowest point ever and she pulled him out of it, and there is a connection between them.

"There is a strange kind of chemistry, so I think he's focused on that. Once she gets pregnant, that's it for him - that's what he wants."

Charity and Declan's small wedding service begins.
    © ITV
    Charity and Declan's small wedding service begins

Charity and Declan's wedding will air in Thursday night's episodes (May 15) on the same day that Cain Dingle and Moira Barton are due to tie the knot. Show bosses are keeping tight-lipped about the outcome of both ceremonies.

Merrells joked: "There's just a few sheep as guests at mine, because everyone's at Cain and Moira's!"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (12-05-2014), tammyy2j (13-05-2014)

Emmerdale star Jason Merrells has explained why his character Declan Macey continues to be fooled by his deceitful wife Charity in upcoming episodes.

Declan receives a shock in tonight's double bill (September 4) as his sister Megan tells him that Charity (Emma Atkins) lied about having a miscarriage earlier in the year.

Megan (Gaynor Faye) presents Declan with proof of the lie after her son Robbie (Jamie Shelton) finds the address for an abortion clinic stored in Charity's sat-nav system.

Unfortunately for Megan, her brother's reaction is unexpected as he still refuses to believe that his partner would betray him.

Merrells told Digital Spy: "Declan is really reluctant to believe what Megan is saying, because everything hinges on his trust for Charity being intact.

"That trust has been seriously knocked by Charity losing the baby, but she's told him that had nothing to do with her. If he finds out that's not true, then everything he has built up is gone.

"Declan doesn't want that to be the case, so he pushes Megan away and refuses to listen to her."

When Charity manages to explain away the sat-nav discovery, a dangerous cat and mouse game begins as Megan becomes determined to uncover further proof.

Merrells added: "When Megan first starts telling Declan about this stuff, Charity has got an answer for a lot of it. She reminds Declan that she did tell him she went to a clinic, before he persuaded her to have the baby.

"It's believable that the address would be in the sat-nav, so Declan just wants Megan to go away and stop stirring. If Declan looked into it more deeply, he'd see that there's a discrepancy with the dates and it doesn't actually match up - but he doesn't look that much into it because he doesn't want to believe it."

Emmerdale's series producer Kate Oates has previously promised viewers that Charity's comeuppance is on the way as part of a big autumn storyline.

She said last month: "We have got a massive storyline coming up in the autumn, and it may be Charity in the firing line this time! You'll just have to see what happens there."

Emmerdale continues tonight (September 4) at 7pm and 8pm on ITV.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (04-09-2014), maidmarian (04-09-2014), tammyy2j (06-09-2014)

I think Declan knows everything and it was him who poisened the wine and has been making Charity ill. Is Jason Merells leaving emmerdale?

I have been wondering about Jason Merells future on Emmerdale too ... not heard he is leaving ...

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    I have been wondering about Jason Merells future on Emmerdale too ... not heard he is leaving ...
    me neither - surely they couldnt keep that quiet?

Quote Originally Posted by chloeturner20 View Post
    I think Declan knows everything and it was him who poisened the wine and has been making Charity ill. Is Jason Merells leaving emmerdale?
    yes he is poisoning her
    Last edited by lizann; 22-09-2014 at 15:07.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (22-09-2014)

Emmerdale has revealed the identity of the mystery poisoner who was responsible for Noah's collapse last week.

Tonight's episode (September 22) saw the net start to close in on Megan Macey (Gaynor Faye) as she continued to be interrogated by the police for the crime.

However, in a shock twist, Megan's brother Declan (Jason Merrells) was revealed as the poisoner and was seen disposing of the incriminating evidence.

The reveal came as Declan prepared to whisk Charity away to a country cottage following the strain of recent events.

Megan has been desperately trying to convince Declan that Charity aborted his baby earlier in the year, but Charity appeared to have got away with her lies after Debbie stepped in to cover for her.

Following tonight's development, viewers will have to tune in to see what Declan has planned for Charity as they spend time alone in a secluded cottage.

Emmerdale continues tomorrow at 7pm on ITV.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (22-09-2014), tammyy2j (22-09-2014)

I think Megan knows it is Declan too

Thread Information