Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Declan Macey

Emmerdale businessman Declan Macey faces one disaster after another next week as his festival plans come under threat and his marriage hits the rocks once again.

A difficult time for Declan begins when Alex Moss's bones are found by builders working on the festival site, which would potentially lead to the cancellation of the entire event if the news spread.

Just when Declan thinks things can't get any worse, his wife Katie (Sammy Winward) learns of his secret one-night stand with Charity…

Here, Jason Merrells - who plays Declan - reveals what the consequences are as his character comes under extreme pressure.

What are Declan and Katie's plans for the glamping site for the festival?
    "Declan and Katie have worked out that they can make a fair bit of money from the festival, and it's going to get even bigger this year. Declan's idea is to make a glamorous camping area for people with a lot of money. It's for people who are willing to invest in the festival, and one of the perks of investing is this place to stay while they watch the bands.

"It's Declan's big idea, really, and he believes that he can really take festivals forward. The site is full of high-spec wooden lodges which are very beautifully made. There's a sauna and a Jacuzzi, and all of the facilities that you need. It's basically a five-star hotel in the woods!"

How crucial is the site to the overall festival plan?
    "In order to make the festival happen, everything is riding on this glamping site. Last year everything was riding on the festival itself, but this year the actual festival is riding on the glamping site.

"The money for the festival is all in the site. If the site doesn't work and get the investors, the money doesn't go back into mounting the whole event."

Declan's week gets off to a bad start when he finds out that Megan has handed over cash to a stage supplier who's gone bust. How does he react?
    "Declan is worried that Megan's eye isn't on the ball because of Robbie. Every time she gets distracted by something that Robbie is doing, she makes a mistake. This mistake is potentially quite big, because she has made a real wrong move with one of the suppliers.

"Declan isn't happy about it, even though it's solvable. In the long-term, it's a case of how much can Declan trust her if she's that erratic in business? He's worried about that…"

How does Declan feel when human remains are found at the site?
    "Well, a guy comes to Declan and says that they've dug up a body. They're pretty sure that it's a human body, but it's often very difficult to tell how old or young bones are. It depends a lot on the soil, area, depth and all sorts of different things.

"Declan's instinct - and the builder's instinct because he's got a lot riding on it too - is to think through ways of not acknowledging the discovery! In order to examine what the body is, you'd have to bring in police, forensics and all sorts of things, which would hold up construction. Declan is pretty sure he would lose the site if that happened."

So that's why Declan doesn't report it?
    "Yes. He's making an assumption - and it's probably a fair one - that the human remains are old and that there's nothing particular sinister that he needs to be addressing. He doesn't think he's doing something terrible morally. There's nobody missing, and there's been no murders that he knows about!

"There are also loads of rumours of people being buried on the Home Farm estate because of various things that have happened over the years. One of those is even mentioned in the script, but all of those rumours are years and years old, so Declan isn't all that worried."

How does Katie react to the discovery?
    "Katie takes the opposite view entirely, which is probably a lot to do with where she and Declan are in their relationship at the moment. She sees it as another example of Declan's dishonesty, his money-grabbing and his lack of care for anything else other than profit.

"Katie decides that she's going to take the moral high-ground and insists that Declan must declare the discovery whatever happens. Katie sees that he won't, and it becomes a battle between them."

Chas causes another big problem by telling Katie about Declan sleeping with Charity! Did he always worry this might happen?
    "I think Declan was always worried that the truth would come out, but as time went on, he was banking on the hope that if he could solve his problems with Katie and keep going, everyone else would butt out. After all, nobody's as pure as the driven snow in the Emmerdale village!

"Declan had hoped everyone would just keep out of it if they saw him and Katie getting on with things. He knew that Chas could possibly spill the beans, but it'd be a weird thing for a best friend to do when things are going okay."

So how does Katie react to what Chas tells her?
    "Katie doesn't tell Declan that she knows! Declan is holding a festival sponsorship event, and Katie decides to invite Jai and Charity along. He has no idea that Katie is planning anything, but he is a bit worried because he's not getting along with Jai and he doesn't really want to see Charity. He assumes that Katie has done it to try and bring them all together, which he's not particularly happy about."

What happens at the event?
    "Katie is looking like a million dollars, and she steps up to call the room's attention and starts to make an announcement. Declan is really surprised that she's making an announcement, because it wasn't scheduled!

"From the moment that Katie tings the glass, he's wary about what she's doing. Katie wouldn't normally do this sort of thing. Then she starts to talk about who Declan is. Declan assumes that she's going to be nice, but she's not…"

Will Declan defend himself by pointing out that his betrayal was a one-time thing while he was estranged from Katie?
    "Well, I guess either way, Declan's behaviour still isn't really on! But Katie had walked out saying that she didn't love him, and she'd gone without any hint that she was coming back. Declan shouldn't have immediately jumped into bed with someone else, but he does feel that Katie should be a little bit more understanding."

So is it all over for Katie and Declan?
    "Let's just say it's not looking good!"

Declan Macey's worst nightmares come true on Emmerdale next week as police dig up the human remains which have been hidden on his festival site.

As a murder investigation begins, Declan finds himself facing some tough questions from the authorities, along with dire financial implications as the festival will have to be cancelled.

Here, Jason Merrells - who plays Declan - reveals how his character copes as everything around him starts to crumble...

Does Declan feel guilty about concealing the body?
    "He doesn't at the moment, because I think he's too concerned with his own interests. Declan just figured that even if the body was human, it would be old. The last thing that you'd expect would be that it's a recent murder. Declan just thinks, 'Why should I lose everything because of something that's old and forgotten?'

"I don't think Declan even thinks about it too much, he's just really concentrating on trying to cover it up. He doesn't feel guilty until the body is revealed as being Alex."

How is the body actually found by the police?
    "When the police first turn up, it's such a massive site so they don't necessarily know where the body is, and might not be able to find it even if they start digging. They only find the body because one of the builders folds and tells the police where it is. Then the foreman folds too, so it's a series of events which leads up to the discovery."

What are the implications of this for Declan's finances?
    "Declan has put all of the money to mount the festival into the glamping site in order to get that ready. When the glamping site folds, he hasn't even got enough money to mount the festival even if he was allowed to.

"The plan was that all of the rich people who were staying at the glamping site would provide the money for the sound system and everything else. Once the glamping site folds, everything else falls apart too."

How does Declan react when the police reveal that the body was buried twice?
    "It's kind of confusing because Declan reburied it himself, so at first he thinks they mean him. Then it becomes clear that it's actually been moved over quite a substantial distance and then re-buried. Declan doesn't understand it at all.

"We have to remember that people don't know that Alex is dead, so Declan doesn't make any connection at first. He doesn't put it together until he's told the truth. Victoria comes to the house and asks how on earth Declan could have done this. That's when he realises that he's done a terrible thing."

Declan is arrested for perverting the course of justice, but the police also accuse him of murder, don't they?
    "Yes, he's shocked! Anyone would be flabbergasted when it seems that all of the evidence is pointed at you. It was very intense to film these scenes and Declan is definitely under pressure. He can't really believe what's happening.

"I guess Declan assumes that the truth will out, but sometimes the truth doesn't come out and people take the rap for things they haven't done."

Does Declan still love Katie?
    "Well, when he's in the cells, his back is right up against the wall. He has threatened to implicate her, but in the end he doesn't. Declan does still love Katie, but I think their marriage is over. He really wanted it to work but it didn't. Now that's blackened him and it's sealed his fate."

Declan is eventually released for the time being, but there's more bad news when he gets home…
    "Yes, Megan tells Declan that the insurance company for the festival aren't going to pay out for the cancellation, because it's a crime scene. Declan is forced to go to Jai looking for financial help, but Jai is not having any of it."

Can Declan turn things around?
    "Everything is starting to stack against him, but he'll always come up with something. Whether he can turn things around, we don't know.

"In future episodes, Declan realises that his only options are to sell Home Farm or sell some properties in the village. He chooses the second option, so we'll see what happens and how the villagers react to that…"

Are you enjoying filming this story?
    "I'm enjoying it a lot. I think it's strong material and I'm enjoying having such high stakes to play. Declan is pretty raw at the moment and he's like a cornered animal. It's good to explore."

Declan Macey's worst nightmares come true on Emmerdale next week as police dig up the human remains which have been hidden on his festival site.

As a murder investigation begins, Declan finds himself facing some tough questions from the authorities, along with dire financial implications as the festival will have to be cancelled.

Here, Jason Merrells - who plays Declan - reveals how his character copes as everything around him starts to crumble...

Does Declan feel guilty about concealing the body?
    "He doesn't at the moment, because I think he's too concerned with his own interests. Declan just figured that even if the body was human, it would be old. The last thing that you'd expect would be that it's a recent murder. Declan just thinks, 'Why should I lose everything because of something that's old and forgotten?'

"I don't think Declan even thinks about it too much, he's just really concentrating on trying to cover it up. He doesn't feel guilty until the body is revealed as being Alex."

How is the body actually found by the police?
    "When the police first turn up, it's such a massive site so they don't necessarily know where the body is, and might not be able to find it even if they start digging. They only find the body because one of the builders folds and tells the police where it is. Then the foreman folds too, so it's a series of events which leads up to the discovery."

What are the implications of this for Declan's finances?
    "Declan has put all of the money to mount the festival into the glamping site in order to get that ready. When the glamping site folds, he hasn't even got enough money to mount the festival even if he was allowed to.

"The plan was that all of the rich people who were staying at the glamping site would provide the money for the sound system and everything else. Once the glamping site folds, everything else falls apart too."

How does Declan react when the police reveal that the body was buried twice?
    "It's kind of confusing because Declan reburied it himself, so at first he thinks they mean him. Then it becomes clear that it's actually been moved over quite a substantial distance and then re-buried. Declan doesn't understand it at all.

"We have to remember that people don't know that Alex is dead, so Declan doesn't make any connection at first. He doesn't put it together until he's told the truth. Victoria comes to the house and asks how on earth Declan could have done this. That's when he realises that he's done a terrible thing."

Declan is arrested for perverting the course of justice, but the police also accuse him of murder, don't they?
    "Yes, he's shocked! Anyone would be flabbergasted when it seems that all of the evidence is pointed at you. It was very intense to film these scenes and Declan is definitely under pressure. He can't really believe what's happening.

"I guess Declan assumes that the truth will out, but sometimes the truth doesn't come out and people take the rap for things they haven't done."

Does Declan still love Katie?
    "Well, when he's in the cells, his back is right up against the wall. He has threatened to implicate her, but in the end he doesn't. Declan does still love Katie, but I think their marriage is over. He really wanted it to work but it didn't. Now that's blackened him and it's sealed his fate."

Declan is eventually released for the time being, but there's more bad news when he gets home…
    "Yes, Megan tells Declan that the insurance company for the festival aren't going to pay out for the cancellation, because it's a crime scene. Declan is forced to go to Jai looking for financial help, but Jai is not having any of it."

Can Declan turn things around?
    "Everything is starting to stack against him, but he'll always come up with something. Whether he can turn things around, we don't know.

"In future episodes, Declan realises that his only options are to sell Home Farm or sell some properties in the village. He chooses the second option, so we'll see what happens and how the villagers react to that…"

Are you enjoying filming this story?
    "I'm enjoying it a lot. I think it's strong material and I'm enjoying having such high stakes to play. Declan is pretty raw at the moment and he's like a cornered animal. It's good to explore."

Emmerdale businessman Declan Macey is rocked in tonight's episode (August 14) as police arrive at Home Farm looking for human remains.

Officers turn up to see Declan (Jason Merrells) following Katie's anonymous tip-off regarding the body on the festival site.

The police initially take a friendly approach towards Declan, pointing out that one of his rivals or enemies probably made the call out of spite.

However, when their tone later changes and they make it clear that the investigation will be thorough, Declan is left fearing the worst…

© ITV
    Declan is questioned by the police.

Emmerdale airs tonight at 7pm on ITV.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Emmerdale businessman Declan Macey is rocked in tonight's episode (August 14) as police arrive at Home Farm looking for human remains.

Officers turn up to see Declan (Jason Merrells) following Katie's anonymous tip-off regarding the body on the festival site.

The police initially take a friendly approach towards Declan, pointing out that one of his rivals or enemies probably made the call out of spite.

However, when their tone later changes and they make it clear that the investigation will be thorough, Declan is left fearing the worst…

© ITV
    Declan is questioned by the police.

Emmerdale airs tonight at 7pm on ITV.

Emmerdale star Jason Merrells has said that his character Declan Macey will become far more ruthless as he is pushed to the brink in his latest storyline.

Viewers will seeDeclan's worst nightmares come true next week, as police dig up the human remains which have been hidden on his festival site.

Merrells told The Sun: "It depends on how the writers want to twist things but I would like to see Declan go down slowly and fighting.

"After Katie left, Declan became a much darker character, and as things are beginning to crumble around him he becomes more desperate and underhand. He gets far more ruthless.

"I think he always had that potential but as all of his financial problems build up his behaviour gets more extreme.

"I am definitely in favour of that because I think it'll be interesting to see him pushed as far as possible and resort to desperate measures."

Tonight's (August 14) episode of the soap will see Declan face the police following Katie's anonymous tip-off.

Merrells said: "He is arrested and it is fairly dramatic, but it is also playfully written. That kind of cat-and-mouse dynamic is really good to play.

"Declan then spends about a day and half in jail for perverting the course of justice, which is heavy for him and pretty tough for me too.

"Declan doesn't know what is going to happen. But he keeps a lid on any fear or guilt he might feel."

Emmerdale star Jason Merrells has said that his character Declan Macey will become far more ruthless as he is pushed to the brink in his latest storyline.

Viewers will seeDeclan's worst nightmares come true next week, as police dig up the human remains which have been hidden on his festival site.

Merrells told The Sun: "It depends on how the writers want to twist things but I would like to see Declan go down slowly and fighting.

"After Katie left, Declan became a much darker character, and as things are beginning to crumble around him he becomes more desperate and underhand. He gets far more ruthless.

"I think he always had that potential but as all of his financial problems build up his behaviour gets more extreme.

"I am definitely in favour of that because I think it'll be interesting to see him pushed as far as possible and resort to desperate measures."

Tonight's (August 14) episode of the soap will see Declan face the police following Katie's anonymous tip-off.

Merrells said: "He is arrested and it is fairly dramatic, but it is also playfully written. That kind of cat-and-mouse dynamic is really good to play.

"Declan then spends about a day and half in jail for perverting the course of justice, which is heavy for him and pretty tough for me too.

"Declan doesn't know what is going to happen. But he keeps a lid on any fear or guilt he might feel."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

britgirl (14-08-2013), tammyy2j (14-08-2013)

How far would he go? It makes me wonder if he could become darker, and he has a run in with Cameron if he finds out he's responsible for Alex's death. Perhaps he will blame Cameron for him losing everything and make him pay? Could Declan go that far?

Emmerdale businessman Declan Macey remains on a path of self-destruction next week as his disturbing behaviour continues.

When Declan's sister Megan (Gaynor Faye) angers him during a Vegas night at Home Farm, he lashes out violently at her once again.

Here, Jason Merrells - who plays Declan - offers his thoughts on his character's actions and reveals that things will soon get much worse…

How is Declan's frame of mind in the wake of recent events?
    "Declan's frame of mind is completely out of kilter. He's damaged, he doesn't know which way to turn and he's lost his ability to think clearly. He's also panicking and he's depressed. Declan feels everything is spiralling out of control, so he's not really thinking straight."

How does the idea for a Vegas night at Home Farm come about?
    "It's Megan's suggestion that they try to drum up investment for the hotel deal, which initially he's sceptical about but then he goes along with it, so it's really her idea. Once that starts, he has this idea of doing a Vegas night, thinking that will inspire some investment. He's pinning all his hopes on it really, but his hopes are quite desperate - and any confidence that he's showing is fake!"

Does Declan need Megan more than he'd admit?
    "Their relationship is weirdly intense. I think it's overly intense in a way because Declan doesn't have anyone else. He's lost his marriage, and despite all the things that happened between him and Katie, I think he was pinning a lot on her."

If the worst happened, could Declan cope with living less affluently?
    "Status is everything to a man like Declan. Without all the trappings of who he is, I don't think he knows who he is. That's part of the problem."

Can you tell us more about the Vegas night?
    "The Maceys put on a good show. They get a couple of croupiers in to handle it professionally and it looks really good - it looks like a proper private little casino. Initially things are going quite well, although Nicola gets very drunk. She's been roped into help, which Declan wouldn't have agreed to, but Megan thought there was no-one else. So that doesn't go particularly well and then things just spiral out of control again."

Why does Declan end up making the biggest gamble of his life?
    "Well he gets fronted out by Gil, basically. Gil is bored because they can't really play for real money - the whole idea of the Vegas night is just to have fun and for people to talk and invest in the hotel business, but no-one's actually playing for real money.

"When it gets a little out of hand, Gil wants to go to a real casino to just play properly. Then he suggests they play properly here. Because Gil is showing his status and authority, Declan is pushed into thinking that he's got to match him. So he tries to up the stakes from a thousand to ten thousand - ten thousand that he doesn't have!"

What happens next?
    "Megan comes back in at a crucial moment and asks for the whole thing to stop. Because Gil likes Megan and doesn't like Declan, he pulls his bet - but the wheel is already spinning and the ball is already going round.

"Afterwards, Declan is absolutely in pieces because he's left with nothing. Everyone leaves and it's a really embarrassing scene. Then later on, Megan comes to see Declan in the office and he erupts…"

How would you describe Declan's behaviour at this point?
    "I used to wonder what it meant when people said they had a nervous breakdown, but I think this is what is happening to Declan. It's when you just can't cope."

Where does Declan go from here?
    "It's difficult for him to see what's next. You need to speculate to accumulate - that age-old saying - and he has nothing to speculate with. He's got no room for manoeuvre. Declan is not a working man in the traditional sense, so there's nothing he can fall back on apart from his ability to make money from money, but in order to do that he needs money. Unfortunately, he's in debt - serious debt."

What does Christmas have in store for Declan?
    "Declan's Christmas is all set to be eventful. It's going to be the worst he's ever had. I don't think he can see beyond Christmas into the New Year, to be honest."

Would Declan want Katie back?
    "I think he would, yeah. I think he would definitely want Katie back, but there's been so much betrayal and hatred. I think Declan hates her at the moment, but that's just the other side of loving her, really."

What advice would you give to Declan?
    "Stop being a twit, stop being focused only on money, and start to listen to the people around you. Start slowly to build something of worth. Be kinder. Be less volatile. Less arrogant, perhaps! He is capable of changing - everyone is."

What has David Easter (Gil) been like to work with on the storyline?
    "It's been good. Gil is a slick, smooth operator in the same way that Declan used to be, so it's been good to show the contrast of how Declan is now and seeing this very smooth businessman who's in charge of his affairs and has plenty of money and plenty of room for manoeuvre. It was quite fun to play because I think Declan was looking at him thinking, 'I used to be you' or 'I sort of am you, but I've gone wrong!'"

Emmerdale businessman Declan Macey remains on a path of self-destruction next week as his disturbing behaviour continues.

When Declan's sister Megan (Gaynor Faye) angers him during a Vegas night at Home Farm, he lashes out violently at her once again.

Here, Jason Merrells - who plays Declan - offers his thoughts on his character's actions and reveals that things will soon get much worse…

How is Declan's frame of mind in the wake of recent events?
    "Declan's frame of mind is completely out of kilter. He's damaged, he doesn't know which way to turn and he's lost his ability to think clearly. He's also panicking and he's depressed. Declan feels everything is spiralling out of control, so he's not really thinking straight."

How does the idea for a Vegas night at Home Farm come about?
    "It's Megan's suggestion that they try to drum up investment for the hotel deal, which initially he's sceptical about but then he goes along with it, so it's really her idea. Once that starts, he has this idea of doing a Vegas night, thinking that will inspire some investment. He's pinning all his hopes on it really, but his hopes are quite desperate - and any confidence that he's showing is fake!"

Does Declan need Megan more than he'd admit?
    "Their relationship is weirdly intense. I think it's overly intense in a way because Declan doesn't have anyone else. He's lost his marriage, and despite all the things that happened between him and Katie, I think he was pinning a lot on her."

If the worst happened, could Declan cope with living less affluently?
    "Status is everything to a man like Declan. Without all the trappings of who he is, I don't think he knows who he is. That's part of the problem."

Can you tell us more about the Vegas night?
    "The Maceys put on a good show. They get a couple of croupiers in to handle it professionally and it looks really good - it looks like a proper private little casino. Initially things are going quite well, although Nicola gets very drunk. She's been roped into help, which Declan wouldn't have agreed to, but Megan thought there was no-one else. So that doesn't go particularly well and then things just spiral out of control again."

Why does Declan end up making the biggest gamble of his life?
    "Well he gets fronted out by Gil, basically. Gil is bored because they can't really play for real money - the whole idea of the Vegas night is just to have fun and for people to talk and invest in the hotel business, but no-one's actually playing for real money.

"When it gets a little out of hand, Gil wants to go to a real casino to just play properly. Then he suggests they play properly here. Because Gil is showing his status and authority, Declan is pushed into thinking that he's got to match him. So he tries to up the stakes from a thousand to ten thousand - ten thousand that he doesn't have!"

What happens next?
    "Megan comes back in at a crucial moment and asks for the whole thing to stop. Because Gil likes Megan and doesn't like Declan, he pulls his bet - but the wheel is already spinning and the ball is already going round.

"Afterwards, Declan is absolutely in pieces because he's left with nothing. Everyone leaves and it's a really embarrassing scene. Then later on, Megan comes to see Declan in the office and he erupts…"

How would you describe Declan's behaviour at this point?
    "I used to wonder what it meant when people said they had a nervous breakdown, but I think this is what is happening to Declan. It's when you just can't cope."

Where does Declan go from here?
    "It's difficult for him to see what's next. You need to speculate to accumulate - that age-old saying - and he has nothing to speculate with. He's got no room for manoeuvre. Declan is not a working man in the traditional sense, so there's nothing he can fall back on apart from his ability to make money from money, but in order to do that he needs money. Unfortunately, he's in debt - serious debt."

What does Christmas have in store for Declan?
    "Declan's Christmas is all set to be eventful. It's going to be the worst he's ever had. I don't think he can see beyond Christmas into the New Year, to be honest."

Would Declan want Katie back?
    "I think he would, yeah. I think he would definitely want Katie back, but there's been so much betrayal and hatred. I think Declan hates her at the moment, but that's just the other side of loving her, really."

What advice would you give to Declan?
    "Stop being a twit, stop being focused only on money, and start to listen to the people around you. Start slowly to build something of worth. Be kinder. Be less volatile. Less arrogant, perhaps! He is capable of changing - everyone is."

What has David Easter (Gil) been like to work with on the storyline?
    "It's been good. Gil is a slick, smooth operator in the same way that Declan used to be, so it's been good to show the contrast of how Declan is now and seeing this very smooth businessman who's in charge of his affairs and has plenty of money and plenty of room for manoeuvre. It was quite fun to play because I think Declan was looking at him thinking, 'I used to be you' or 'I sort of am you, but I've gone wrong!'"

Thread Information