Thread: Marcus and Maria

Exclamation Marcus and Maria

Coronation Street's Charlie Condou has claimed that Marcus Dent would like to start a family with Maria Connor.

However, the actor conceded that his alter ego is "far too sensible" to "jump into anything" with his new female lover just yet.

When asked whether Marcus would want a baby with Maria, Condou told the Radio Times: "I think he'd love to, but obviously it's early days for them."

Condou, who has previously backed the unexpected soap romance, revealed that fans have become "overwhelmingly positive" about the Marcus-Maria pairing, although a few remain puzzled.

"I think some people are a bit confused by the relationship at times, but not nearly as confused by it as Marcus and Maria are," Condou explained.

"I think that's the kind of stuff that Coronation Street does really well and I think it's really good that it gets people talking and discussing all these things.

"People's sexuality is sometimes confusing but I think it's good that the writers are dealing with it in a really honest and respectful way."

With the characters returning to the spotlight next week as Maria sees Marcus bump into a former gay acquaintance, Condou believes that Marcus might be happy to completely turn his back on his old life.

"At first, Marcus doesn't notice how uncomfortable Maria is," he said. "She doesn't cope too well, particularly because the barman seems to be flirting with Marcus. But I don't think Marcus misses that life so much.

"I think he realises how much his life has changed, but he's all right with that. In a lot of ways, Marcus feels like it's time to grow up.

"He's never been one for going out clubbing and actually, in a weird way, it makes him realise how much he does love Maria. He doesn't want to be out in gay bars getting drunk anymore."

Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Thread Information