Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Rovers Return

going on the market for sale again

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/cor...return-future/

Coronation Street has confirmed the long-term future of the Rovers Return following fears that it could shut down for good.

The Street's iconic pub was recently closed by its new owners, who ordered a major refurbishment and sacked the existing staff members.

Since the Rovers closed its doors, we've seen it play host to some of Stephen Reid's final moments, as his dramatic last episode saw him terrorise Jenny Connor and Sarah Barlow in the empty building.

Since then, there have been few updates on the business' future or a possible reopening date.

Speaking to Digital Spy and other media in a recent press call, Coronation Street's producer Iain MacLeod admitted: "We don't want the Rovers shut for too long because it's almost like a character in its own right.

"Closing it felt almost like a death ? it's almost as big a deal for me as any of the people that might have met their sticky end at the hands of Stephen Reid. The idea that the pub is boarded up was horrifying ? and even walking up the lot and seeing that, it's like a dagger to the heart.

"So it's not going to stay closed for that long. In fact, it reopens on New Year's Eve, but the interesting thing is that the circumstances of it becoming open again are all tied up with Stephen's legacy.

"Somebody will do something that is at best, naughty, at worst, slightly criminal to get their hands on the keys to the pub and reopen it. So it will reopen, but the reopening of it will be based on this slightly shaky foundation of a criminal act."

He continued: "I suppose the viewers will be wondering: 'Well, okay, so the pub is open, but what disaster will befall the person that's allowed that to happen, because it's all based on this misdeed that they've committed?'

"We didn't want it to just open up again and it was like nothing had ever happened. We wanted it to open up with this kind of buried bomb underneath it that we will explode later in [2024]."

MacLeod also assured viewers that, despite recent on-screen talk of a big refurbishment, the pub won't look too different when it opens its doors again.

He said: "It's not going to look radically different. With certain sets, I'm not saying they should never change, but I'd certainly feel like I don't want it to be modernised and gastropub-ified or turned into a chain pub ? in the same way I feel weirdly protective of Deirdre's wallpaper at number one.

"I do feel like the Rovers decor is going to be updated a touch. But for the most part, I really like the look and feel of it at the moment. So it's going to reopen looking quite similar, but the circumstances of its ownership are going to be much more fraught."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (01-11-2023)

ig Coronation Street plot accidentally leaked in star?s Instagram post
    Coronation Street viewers have been left wondering what the future holds for the beloved Rovers Return Inn, after it was taken over by Waterford?s, but a new Instagram post by actress Claire Sweeney has revealed that the pub will be left in safe hands.
    Claire, who plays Cassie Plummer in the ITV soap, is set to compete in the new series of Dancing on Ice, and recently announced who is set to be her partner on the ice.
    However, the picture didn?t just confirm that Claire will be partnered with professional skater Colin Grafton, as eagle-eyed fans will have realised.
    In the back of the snap, Jenny Connor?s (Sally Ann Matthews) name can be seen above the door, confirming that she is still the licensee of the pub when it reopens.
    On screen, the pub is still boarded up as it undergoes a renovation, but producer Iain MacLeod has confirmed that it will reopen over New Year.
    ?It?s not going to stay closed for that long. In fact, it reopens on New Year?s Eve I think, but the interesting thing about it is the circumstances of it becoming open again, are all tied up with Stephen?s legacy and somebody will do something that is at best, naughty, at worst, slightly criminal to get their hands on the keys to the pub and reopen it.
    ?So it will reopen but the reopening of it will be based on this slightly shaky foundation of a criminal act, shall we say?
    ?So I suppose the viewers will be wondering well, okay, so the pubs are open, but what disaster will befall the person that?s allowed that to happen because it?s all based on this misdeed that they?ve committed towards the end of the year.
    ?So we didn?t want it I suppose to just open up again and it was like nothing had ever happened. We wanted it to open up with this kind of buried bomb underneath it that we will explode later in the year.
    Not only will the Rover?s be under the same management, but the interior isn?t set to look drastically different after the refurb either.
    ?It?s not going to look radically different either because I don?t know about you guys but I think certain sets and I?m not saying they should never change but I?d certainly feel like I don?t want it to be modernised and gastropub-ified or turned into a chain pub, you know, so much like I feel weirdly protective of Deirdre?s wallpaper at number one.
    ?I do feel like the Rover?s decor is going to be updated a touch. But for the most part, I really like the look and feel of it at the moment. So it?s going to reopen, looking quite similar, but the circumstances of its ownership are going to be much more fraught??

was that the first time we saw the kitchen, very modern when it doesn't serve many dishes, it should have a chef with more dishes than hotpot

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    was that the first time we saw the kitchen, very modern when it doesn't serve many dishes, it should have a chef with more dishes than hotpot
    I thought it looked too big to fit in the Rovers!
    Last edited by Ruffed_lemur; 04-04-2024 at 17:28.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruffed_lemur For This Useful Post:

lizann (04-04-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffed_lemur View Post
    I thought it looked too big to fit in the Rovers!
    more a hotel kitchen

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (05-04-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    more a hotel kitchen
    It's all those hotpots.

The odd cheese and ham sandwich has been served in the past ...

Thread Information