Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spencer

Home and Away star Andrew Morley has said that his portrayal of Spencer Harrington has helped change and save lives.

Viewers know that Summer Bay teenager Spencer suffers from bipolar disorder, and Morley has researched mental illness at length in order to portray it accurately.

Speaking to the Daily Telegraph, he said: "My character Spencer has a mental illness and so I *researched a lot. I saw the statistics on suicide and depression and how they are both taboo subjects.

"I felt that the demographic that watches Home and Away would be more inclined not to talk, and so felt the need to jump on board with the foundation, Reach Out, because it is a gateway that allows kids to talk and read about mental illness anonymously."

Spencer talks to Maddie
    © Channel 5
    Spencer in Home and Away

He continued:"I guarantee you I have saved lives because people have contacted me saying I have been a turning point for them.

"One girl was telling me about her suicide attempts, about rape, about stuff she has never told anyone, not even her parents. She felt she couldn't even talk to her parents because they wouldn't understand."

andrew is leaving

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

Perdita (01-03-2015), tammyy2j (02-03-2015)

Home and Away's Andrew Morley has confirmed that he is leaving the show.

The actor has played Spencer Harrington on the Australian soap for two years, and will be seen on screens until early April.

Andrew Morley as Spencer in Home and Away
    © Channel 5
    Andrew Morley as Spencer in Home and Away

The news was leaked by Woman's Day, which also claimed that Morley's departure was motivated by the TV pilot season in the US.

However, Morley implored his Twitter followers to not "believe everything you read".

"Apologies to the faithful and incredible fans to hear the news in this disappointing way," he said.

"Just don't believe everything you read. Guys, there is so much fun stuff ahead for Spencer. And who actually said he's leaving forever?!"

Thanks for all the support!! Xxxxx pic.twitter.com/6Ks8zTIrw8

— Andrew J Morley (@Andrew_J_Morley) March 1, 2015

Spencer has been battling with bipolar disorder, a storyline which Morley has praised.

"I guarantee you I have saved lives, because people have contacted me saying I have been a turning point for them," he previously revealed.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (03-03-2015), Pantherboy (02-03-2015), tammyy2j (02-03-2015)

I won't be sorry if Spencer's leaving permanently as I've never taken to him. Not even the bipolar storyline could make him interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    "I guarantee you I have saved lives, because people have contacted me saying I have been a turning point for them," he previously revealed.
    Talk about an inflated ego!!! I don't doubt the storyline has saved lives but for Andrew Morley to attribute that solely to himself says a lot about him. I think the writers and producers probably had a hand in it too...
    Last edited by Dazzle; 03-03-2015 at 15:28.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzle For This Useful Post:

Perdita (04-03-2015)

Home and Away's Spencer Harrington will consider leaving Summer Bay after a tragedy makes him re-evaluate his life.

Spencer will be left with a big decision to make after he and his brother Chris (Johnny Ruffo) return from visiting their dad, who has been in a car accident and is seriously injured.

As Spencer ponders whether he should leave his life in the Bay and go and stay with his dad, he soon finds himself opening up to Roo, who has noticed his strange behaviour.

Spencer explains to Roo that he has unfinished business with his dad and he feels he needs to resolve this in order to move forward with his life.

However, Spencer knows that it won't be easy to leave his brother and friends in Summer Bay behind.

Andrew Morley, who plays Spencer, told TV Week: "Spencer is feeling guilt over unresolved issues. Is he going to be the stronger person and try and make things better? There is a lot going on in Spencer's head."

It was confirmed last month that Morley would be leaving the show after two years of playing Spencer.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (15-04-2015), Pantherboy (13-04-2015)

Article in today's (April 23) Daily Telegraph in Sydney:

What’s next for Home and Away hunk Andrew Morley? No rush to crack Hollywood

ANDREW Morley doesn’t see himself packing up and moving to Hollywood permanently like so many of his former Home and Away castmates.

The 25-year-old’s nearly three-year soap journey comes to an end when his final episode of the hugely popular Channel Seven show goes to air tonight.

ANDREW MORLEY’S ROLE IN PREVENTING YOUTH SUICIDE

There are a lot of opportunities overseas but it is not necessarily where I want to live,” he said.

“I have been doing plenty of auditions. I love the Australian vibe and at the moment I feel like I am much more suited to Aussie drama but there’s nothing stopping me from any opportunity that comes to give it a crack.”

Morley filmed his final scenes as Spencer Harrington six months ago. Since then, he’s travelled to Los Angeles, where he has management.

He is also hands-on with various charity initiatives, including Oscar’s Law and ReachOut.

“Giving back is the most enjoyable thing and that has only been opened up to me from getting the exposure on Home and Away,” said Morley, who will take part in a Colour Run on June 6 to raise money Oscar’s Law.

“I have never been so completely satisfied in my life with the kind of charity work that I’ve been doing. I’m really grateful for that.”

Morley grew up on a farm in Clarkefield, Victoria, and moved to Sydney for Home and Away.

He’s also been studying while acting and has just a few subjects to go on his civil and infrastructure engineering degree at RMIT.

“I will finish my degree,” he said. “Acting is one of those things that I see, why not do it while I’m young.”

Scriptwriters have left it open for his character to return to Home and Away.

“I loved my time on Home and Away and I would be completely open to having Spencer return,” he said. “And it is nice that he isn’t just killed off and it is a justified reason for him going.”

Thread Information