Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eric

Coronation Street star Catherine Tyldesley has revealed that her character Eva Price is "devastated" when elderly newcomer Eric passes away.

Eric, played by veteran actor Timothy West, arrives on the cobbles next week as Gloria Price's new fiancé. However, when the wealthy businessman sees a side to Gloria that he doesn't like, he turns his attentions to Eva instead - inviting her to travel the world with him.

Tyldesley told All About Soap: "Eva's very fond of Eric, and in the short time he's been in their lives, he's become something of a father figure to her. They're getting on like a house on fire, and she feels quite sorry for him because all the women around him seem to be after his money!"

She continued: "[Eric's invite is] very tempting for Eva! She's just as bad as the other women and she loves money as well. She's always dreamed of being treated like the princess that she is. However, she also has a heart and reminds herself that Eric's her grandma's man."

Although Eva realises that she shouldn't go travelling with Eric, he never hears her final decision as he passes away suddenly.

Tyldesley added: "She goes to break the news gently, but instead finds him dead at the Rovers bar! She's devastated. Eric was so kind to her and was the first person in a long time to see past her brash exterior."

West recently said that he was pleased with his short stint on the cobbles, explaining that he "couldn't have stayed long term".

Coronation Street continues tonight (February 13) at 7.30pm on ITV.

Timothy West has praised the Coronation Street cast after his short guest stint on the soap.

The veteran actor recently appeared on the cobbles as businessman Eric Babbage, who was introduced as Gloria Price's new fiancé.

Eric's story came to an end in Monday night's (February 25) double bill, when he passed away suddenly at the Rovers Return after trying to convince Gloria's granddaughter Eva to travel the world with him.

Speaking on Daybreak this morning (February 27), West commented: "He was a good character, wasn't he? I was rather fond of him.

"[It came about] the usual way - they sent me a script and said, 'Do you want to do it?' I said, 'Yeah, why not? Ian McKellen's done it and Nigel Havers has just finished it'."

He continued: "They're lovely people. It was good to be back in Granada land, where I've had lots of happy times. I knew Sue Johnston, of course, and Stephanie Cole and a few other people. They're a grand crowd, very hard-working."

West, who is married to Fawlty Towers star Prunella Scales, revealed that he would now like his actor son Samuel to join Weatherfield.

He said: "Sam hasn't done it yet, maybe he's on the list. Pru did it when it was very early days. She was actually in episode 4 and I think I finished in episode 8,047!"

The 78-year-old added that he wants his next project to involve a much more sinister character.

He laughed: "The next thing I want to do is one of those parts in a very good suit, holding a glass of brandy and I just say, 'Take him out!' Please, put it around!"

Coronation Street continues tonight (February 27) at 7.30pm on ITV.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (27-02-2013)

He had a brilliant little stint. What a fantastic actor. Corrie should be proud that they get duh highly acclaimed actor.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katy For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (27-02-2013), Perdita (27-02-2013)

Thread Information