Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dexter Hartman

Exclamation Dexter Hartman

EastEnders fans will see Ava Hartman's son Dexter arrive on Albert Square in the New Year.

Ava (Clare Perkins) - the long-lost daughter of show regular Cora Cross - makes her first appearance on screen on November 20, while Dexter will join her in Walford in 2013.

Hot on the heels of his mum, 20-year-old Dexter turns up on the Square in search of some answers and to get to meet the family he never knew he had.

Actor Khali Best has landed the role of Dexter and will be a new regular cast member for the BBC soap.

Pictured: New cast members Khali Best

Best told Digital Spy: "I am delighted to be joining the cast of EastEnders and working with such great actors so early in my career is an amazing opportunity. I am really excited to see what the writers have in store."

EastEnders' executive producer Lorraine Newman added: "Dexter is a force of nature: cheeky, forthright, confident but highly protective of his mum and vice versa. He'll work at the Arches and be a great mate for Jay and Lola. I am sure he'll be hugely popular with the audience."

Dexter Hartman's first scenes will air in January 2013.

EastEnders star Ann Mitchell has expressed excitement over the upcoming arrival of her on-screen grandson Dexter Hartman.

The actress, who plays Cora Cross, singled out the newcomer when asked to name her favourite character during a live Daybreak interview this morning (November 15).

Mitchell told show hosts Lorraine Kelly and Aled Jones: "Oh God, I like all of them. Well, I'm particularly interested in my young grandson [who's] coming in. But I mustn't talk about that!"

Last week, EastEnders bosses announced that actor Khali Best had been cast as Dexter, who is the 20-year-old son of Cora's long-lost daughter Ava (Clare Perkins).

Speaking this morning, Mitchell said that she is delighted to be exploring Cora's past with the ongoing Ava storyline.

She commented: "It's fascinating, because you get a chance to bring a different facet to each scene.

"One of the scenes we did at the end of the day, and we did it in five minutes - we were up against the clock. That was the most emotional scene. It was strange, to do it so quickly!"

Mitchell added that the public's response to Cora has been "fantastic" and "very, very positive" since her debut last year.

She explained: "They seem to welcome the complexity. They like the darker side, and they like the funny side."

EastEnders continues tonight (November 15) at 7.30pm on BBC One.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dutchgirl (01-01-2013)

EastEnders newcomer Khali Best has revealed that his character Dexter Hartman will strike up a close bond with his grandmother Cora Cross.

Dexter - the 20-year-old son of recently-introduced character Ava - arrives on Albert Square in January to meet the family he never knew he had.

Best told Inside Soap of his role: "It's especially a pleasure to get to have so many scenes with Ann Mitchell, who plays Dexter's grandma Cora.

"Dexter is really keen to make Cora part of his life, and she warms to him straight away. They're going to have a lovely relationship.

"Ann has really helped me to settle in and encouraged me to be myself on screen instead of worrying about too many other things. I'll take her advice to the grave!"

Dexter quickly makes friends with Abi Branning (Lorna Fitzgerald) upon his arrival in Walford and she invites him to a family dinner, but chaos ensues when his true identity is revealed to everyone.

Best explained: "It's a great introduction for him. There's already a lot of tension within the family for various reasons, so there's a little bit of fun to be had by adding Dexter to the mix. But watch how quickly it all spirals out of control!"

Ava - Cora's long-lost daughter - made her first EastEnders appearance in November.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2...#ixzz2omWjdiYs

EastEnders newcomer Khali Best has revealed that his character Dexter Hartman will be delighted to move to Walford.

Dexter - the 20-year-old son of recently-introduced character Ava - turns up on Albert Square next week as he is keen to get to know the Branning family.

While Ava isn't pleased by Dexter's antics when she finds out, the pair later relocate to Walford as Ava lands a new job in the area.

Best told All About Soap: "Dexter's pleased when Ava tells him she's got a job interview in Walford. He's looking forward to moving there, because it's a new start for him. Dexter hasn't had the easiest of times, but he's coming out on top now."

Dexter also finds a job in Walford when Phil Mitchell offers him a position at The Arches.

Best continued: "When Dexter first meets Phil, he doesn't know who he is, but he soon understands his position of power and works out a way he can best manipulate that."

Ava, Cora's long-lost daughter, made her first EastEnders appearance in November. Executive producer Lorraine Newman has now confirmed that she intends to set Ava and Dexter up "as a unit of their own" in the coming weeks.

Newman told the official EastEnders website: "Both Ava and Dexter will be involved in a big story with Bianca [in 2013], which will help to introduce them both more into the Square. Dexter will also start working as a mechanic in The Arches, and he and Jay will become very good friends."

EastEnders airs Dexter's first scenes on Monday, January 7.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2...#ixzz2pEv0jzLX

EatEnders star Khali Best has said that viewers are backing a possible romance for his character Dexter Hartman and young mum Lola Pearce.

The actor arrived on screen as Dexter in January, and viewers saw the mechanic quickly befriend troubled Lola (Danielle Harold) as he settled into Walford.

In an interview with Inside Soap, Best revealed that he would now like Dexter to share more scenes with Lola and her baby daughter Lexi.

Best commented: "I absolutely love kids, so handling a baby on screen would be no problem.

"Viewers say to me that they've seen a flirtation between Dexter and Lola, but he really hasn't been flirting with her - I promise! Everyone seems to think they'd make a good couple, though."

The 26-year-old added that he missed most of his first EastEnders episode last month because he was watching with noisy family members.

He laughed: "I watched it with my mum and brother, and couldn't hear anything because the pair of them wouldn't shut up! Then I went to my friend's house to watch the repeat on BBC Three, and again I couldn't hear anything.

"It was so cringe-inducing watching myself - but I got some good feedback, so I must have done something right."

EastEnders continues tomorrow (February 28) at 7.30pm on BBC One.

Dexter Hartman's world is turned upside down on EastEnders next week as he comes face-to-face with his father Sam James.

Sam (Cornell S John) walked out of his family home when Dexter was just a baby, but a new storyline sees him arrive in Walford hoping to build up a relationship with his son.

We recently chatted to Khali Best, who plays Dexter, to hear about Sam's arrival, life at EastEnders and the British Soap Awards.

After a few months on screen now, how are you finding your time at EastEnders?
    "I'm loving it - it's been excellent. There's a great working environment here and everyone is lovely. When I first joined the show, everyone was so welcoming. It wasn't just a few people - it was the cast, the crew and everyone else. I've made friends with a lot of the younger cast members."

We've seen Dexter and Ava in quite small doses so far, before their story really kicks off next week. How do you feel about the way they've been introduced?
    "I think it's been a good introduction to the show. Sometimes it's better to have that slow introduction and hopefully leave the viewers wanting more, rather than bombarding them with too much straight away! It's been a very good way to do it."

Are you pleased that Dexter's father is now being introduced to Walford?
    "Yes I am, because I think it's going to give Dexter more colours that he can show. It's going to give him a lot more to do in terms of storylines.

"It's also lovely to work with Cornell, who's playing the role of Sam. He's done a lot of Shakespeare and other theatre work in the past, and he has a very powerful presence in scenes. He's great to work with."

© BBC
    Ava, Sam and Dexter.

Can you tell us about Dexter's introduction to Sam?
    "The first time Dexter sees Sam is outside his house. Dexter doesn't have any idea who he is. Later that day, Dexter sees Sam inside the house and Ava just introduces him as an 'old friend'. She's holding a lot back, as she doesn't tell Dexter that Sam is his dad.

"When Dexter is speaking to Sam in their first few conversations, he stays in the dark about who this man is, as he's calling himself 'Jacob'. They get along really well, though. It's obvious that 'Jacob' has a lot of shared history with Ava, and Dexter is excited to hear more about that.

"Dexter also thinks that 'Jacob' would be a much better match for Ava than Billy Mitchell! He's very protective and always has that watchful eye over his mum."

How does Dexter react when he later finds out that Sam is his father?
    "The initial reaction is anger, because Ava has been lying to him. She's had opportunities to tell him but chose not to take them. Dexter has a small amount of hatred towards his mum for that, but it shouldn't be anything too major. I think Dexter just doesn't know how to process it, because it's too much emotion for him to deal with at that time."

Is there any chance of Dexter, Sam and Ava becoming a happy family?
    "I don't know at this point! We'll all just have to wait and see."

Could Sam have a hidden agenda?
    "I hope not! Hopefully he's going to be a nice guy, but you never know what the writers have up their sleeves. Whatever happens, I'm sure it's going to be exciting, as the relationship between Dexter and Ava is interesting to watch and now there's a new person in the mix."

© BBC
    Dexter realises Sam is his father.

We know from some of the recent episodes that Dexter used to be in a gang. Would you like his background to be explored more?
    "Well, the gang storyline was more Liam's story, but it was nice to have some involvement in it because Dexter was from the same area. Because of that, the viewers were given a new insight on where he's come from and the type of person he could have still been if things had been different.

"As for Dexter's background being explored more, it's there for grabs for the writers! It depends what they want to explore, but it's all there for the taking. That's the beauty of it - there's so many different avenues that Dexter could go down."

Would you like Lola and Dexter to become a couple?
    "It could be interesting. I'm not sure yet whether they'll be getting together, but I think Dexter does like Lola because he can see that she is a real, genuine person."

How similar are you to Dexter?
    "Because we're both young and we've come from a similar area, playing Dexter is not too far away from home for me. I think we've both made the best of our lives - both Khali and Dexter!"

You landed the role of Dexter after some workshops held by the producers. What was that experience like?
    "The first workshop was on a Saturday, and it was mainly improvisation. They put me in situations and watched how I'd react.

"I was recalled to return again for another workshop, and in one of the last situations, I was paired up with Clare Perkins. We were put in a mum, dad and son situation so I think that's where it all came from."

© BBC / Nicky Johnston
    Khali Best

What was your first day on set like?
    "I wasn't actually filming on my first day, but I had a chance to watch some scenes being filmed. I watched Tameka [Empson] and Chucky [Venn] do a scene, then Ricky Norwood, and then Jake [Wood] and Jo [Joyner]. It really helped me to better understand what shooting a scene on EastEnders would be like.

"The next day, I had my own filming to do and was a lot more prepared. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be."

Dexter is building up a strong relationship with his grandmother Cora. How do you find working with Ann Mitchell?
    "I'm blessed to be working with Ann. She's one of those people who has great wisdom because she's got so much experience. If Ann tells you something, you'll remember it for the rest of your life!"

You're up for 'Best Newcomer' at the British Soap Awards. What was your reaction when you heard the news?
    "I was really excited to hear it, especially as it's happened so soon. I haven't thought much about the night itself as I just want to keep working on and concentrating on the job. We'll see what happens!"
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Dexter Hartman's world is turned upside down on EastEnders next week as he comes face-to-face with his father Sam James.

Sam (Cornell S John) walked out of his family home when Dexter was just a baby, but a new storyline sees him arrive in Walford hoping to build up a relationship with his son.

We recently chatted to Khali Best, who plays Dexter, to hear about Sam's arrival, life at EastEnders and the British Soap Awards.

After a few months on screen now, how are you finding your time at EastEnders?
    "I'm loving it - it's been excellent. There's a great working environment here and everyone is lovely. When I first joined the show, everyone was so welcoming. It wasn't just a few people - it was the cast, the crew and everyone else. I've made friends with a lot of the younger cast members."

We've seen Dexter and Ava in quite small doses so far, before their story really kicks off next week. How do you feel about the way they've been introduced?
    "I think it's been a good introduction to the show. Sometimes it's better to have that slow introduction and hopefully leave the viewers wanting more, rather than bombarding them with too much straight away! It's been a very good way to do it."

Are you pleased that Dexter's father is now being introduced to Walford?
    "Yes I am, because I think it's going to give Dexter more colours that he can show. It's going to give him a lot more to do in terms of storylines.

"It's also lovely to work with Cornell, who's playing the role of Sam. He's done a lot of Shakespeare and other theatre work in the past, and he has a very powerful presence in scenes. He's great to work with."

© BBC
    Ava, Sam and Dexter.

Can you tell us about Dexter's introduction to Sam?
    "The first time Dexter sees Sam is outside his house. Dexter doesn't have any idea who he is. Later that day, Dexter sees Sam inside the house and Ava just introduces him as an 'old friend'. She's holding a lot back, as she doesn't tell Dexter that Sam is his dad.

"When Dexter is speaking to Sam in their first few conversations, he stays in the dark about who this man is, as he's calling himself 'Jacob'. They get along really well, though. It's obvious that 'Jacob' has a lot of shared history with Ava, and Dexter is excited to hear more about that.

"Dexter also thinks that 'Jacob' would be a much better match for Ava than Billy Mitchell! He's very protective and always has that watchful eye over his mum."

How does Dexter react when he later finds out that Sam is his father?
    "The initial reaction is anger, because Ava has been lying to him. She's had opportunities to tell him but chose not to take them. Dexter has a small amount of hatred towards his mum for that, but it shouldn't be anything too major. I think Dexter just doesn't know how to process it, because it's too much emotion for him to deal with at that time."

Is there any chance of Dexter, Sam and Ava becoming a happy family?
    "I don't know at this point! We'll all just have to wait and see."

Could Sam have a hidden agenda?
    "I hope not! Hopefully he's going to be a nice guy, but you never know what the writers have up their sleeves. Whatever happens, I'm sure it's going to be exciting, as the relationship between Dexter and Ava is interesting to watch and now there's a new person in the mix."

© BBC
    Dexter realises Sam is his father.

We know from some of the recent episodes that Dexter used to be in a gang. Would you like his background to be explored more?
    "Well, the gang storyline was more Liam's story, but it was nice to have some involvement in it because Dexter was from the same area. Because of that, the viewers were given a new insight on where he's come from and the type of person he could have still been if things had been different.

"As for Dexter's background being explored more, it's there for grabs for the writers! It depends what they want to explore, but it's all there for the taking. That's the beauty of it - there's so many different avenues that Dexter could go down."

Would you like Lola and Dexter to become a couple?
    "It could be interesting. I'm not sure yet whether they'll be getting together, but I think Dexter does like Lola because he can see that she is a real, genuine person."

How similar are you to Dexter?
    "Because we're both young and we've come from a similar area, playing Dexter is not too far away from home for me. I think we've both made the best of our lives - both Khali and Dexter!"

You landed the role of Dexter after some workshops held by the producers. What was that experience like?
    "The first workshop was on a Saturday, and it was mainly improvisation. They put me in situations and watched how I'd react.

"I was recalled to return again for another workshop, and in one of the last situations, I was paired up with Clare Perkins. We were put in a mum, dad and son situation so I think that's where it all came from."

© BBC / Nicky Johnston
    Khali Best

What was your first day on set like?
    "I wasn't actually filming on my first day, but I had a chance to watch some scenes being filmed. I watched Tameka [Empson] and Chucky [Venn] do a scene, then Ricky Norwood, and then Jake [Wood] and Jo [Joyner]. It really helped me to better understand what shooting a scene on EastEnders would be like.

"The next day, I had my own filming to do and was a lot more prepared. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be."

Dexter is building up a strong relationship with his grandmother Cora. How do you find working with Ann Mitchell?
    "I'm blessed to be working with Ann. She's one of those people who has great wisdom because she's got so much experience. If Ann tells you something, you'll remember it for the rest of your life!"

You're up for 'Best Newcomer' at the British Soap Awards. What was your reaction when you heard the news?
    "I was really excited to hear it, especially as it's happened so soon. I haven't thought much about the night itself as I just want to keep working on and concentrating on the job. We'll see what happens!"
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

EastEnders star Khali Best has warned that his character Dexter Hartman won't be forgiving his estranged dad Sam anytime soon.

Next week's episodes see Dexter reluctantly give his blessing for his mother Ava to continue her reignited relationship with Sam, but it seems that the tension between father and son is still far from over.

Best told Inside Soap of the storyline: "It's fun to play Dexter's angry side. The scene in which Dexter smashed up Sam's car - now that was lovely! The crew called me a one-take wonder, and they said that I had a pretty good swing on me. Obviously it's great to cut loose like that, but I'm sure Dexter has many other sides of himself to show."

Asked whether next week's episodes mark a turning point for Dexter and Sam, he replied: "I genuinely don't think so. Dexter's still pretty angry. The thing with him is that if he's got a valid argument, he'll fight it to the end. If he's wrong, he'll be the first to put his hand up and say so. But right now, Dexter's moral clock is ticking over - and his attitude doesn't wash with Sam."

The 26-year-old also said that fans are hoping romance is on the horizon for Dexter in the near future.

He explained: "People always say that it's about time Dexter got himself a girlfriend. He likes Lola, and she's a really nice girl. But Dexter isn't the type of guy to rush into anything too quickly."

i like his banter with cora

EastEnders star Khali Best has said that being on the soap has changed his life.

The actor, who has played Walford's Dexter Hartman since the beginning of the year, has admitted that he was shocked over the attention he received when his first episodes aired.

Speaking to the Radio Times, Best said: "I cannot live what people consider a normal life anymore.

"But that's not a problem. It's part of the job but I don't think anything can really prepare you for the experience.

"On January 7... when my first episode aired, I didn't know I was on TV at the time, but I left my house to go to the cash point and literally stopped traffic. People were getting out of their cars and beeping their horns. It was ridiculous.

"So I went back inside and thought, 'Okay Khali, things have changed now. You're famous. But that's not a problem. Just calm down and relax'. And day by day it got more apparent. But it's cool."

Best's alter-ego Dexter will be at the centre of drama in EastEnders next week when Phil (Steve McFadden) discovers that Dexter and Jay have messed up a car deal that he was relying on to boost his finances.

Phil threatens Dexter.
    © BBC
    Phil threatens Dexter.

Best said: "He feels entirely responsible for what's happened and he's very frightened. He might lose an arm right now.

He understands the power triangle at the Arches and his place within it. He's still a cheeky young individual but he's definitely scared in that situation."

Thread Information