Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ste Hay (Kieron Richardson)

Hollyoaks will air another dramatic week for Ste Hay next week as he is confronted over his ongoing drug issues and finds himself back in the frame for Fraser Black's murder.

Digital Spy this week caught up with Kieron Richardson, who plays Ste, to hear all the gossip on what's in store.

Are you pleased with the viewer response to Ste's drugs storyline so far?
    "I'm really pleased with it. It's nice to get any reaction when you do a storyline, but the fact that it's been so positive has been great. Personally I want to push the storyline even more because I think we can go even further with it, so it's exciting to see what the future holds.

"I think the audience like Ste when he's down, dirty, depressed and his life's a mess! The further we can take it down that road, the better."

Are you hoping the writers take their time in exploring the story?
    "I hope so. The beauty of playing a character like Ste is that he never just has his own little story. He's got connections with so many people in the village, so he's always delving in and out of other storylines while having his own as well.

"It's nice to see Ste in his own state while still trying to help his friends like Tony. I like that the storyline continues but Ste flips into other people's stuff too."

Why would you say Ste has turned to drugs?
    "In the past Ste has tried to go down the straight and narrow by being sensible, and he's also tried to be dodgy by getting into dealings with Freddie. The only answer to him right now is taking drugs to numb everything he's going through after having so many disasters in his life. I think it was inevitable that this would happen eventually."

Ste starts getting involved with John Paul again. How does that come about?
    "The McQueens are going through trouble with their accommodation, so they end up descending on the boarding house where Ste lives. Ste is depressed, drinking and on drugs, so he really doesn't want to be putting up with Mercedes and Nana McQueen!

"Ste doesn't want anything to do with John Paul at this point either. Ste thinks that John Paul isn't interested and that nothing he does is good enough, as John Paul seems like this high and mighty professional. It also doesn't help that Ste has a massive hangover on the day they all show up!"

But then Nana McQueen plays matchmaker…
    "Yes - I love Nana McQueen's character and she's one of my favourites in the show, so the fact that I got to work with Diane Langton who plays her is fantastic. Nana is the one who tells Ste that he is good enough for her grandson, but he needs to pull his socks up and show John Paul that he loves him. Nana is the thing that pulls them together."

Danny is also hoping to get back with John Paul at this point. Does Ste realise he might have competition?
    "Ste knows about their past and it's always been in the back of his head. There's one moment where Ste decides to express his feelings for John Paul and sort himself out, but at that point he sees John Paul and Danny looking friendly. Ste thinks it's a romantic thing, but they're actually just going for a coffee as friends. Ste reads far too much into it!"

John Paul and Danny team up to confront Ste over his drug-taking. What happens?
    "Ste is babysitting Matthew for John Paul. John Paul thinks it's great that Ste is showing responsibility and seems to be going down the right track now. It's not until John Paul is tidying Matthew's stuff away that he sees some cocaine in Ste's bedroom. John Paul can't believe it, but Ste insists that he hasn't taken anything - he'd just hidden the drugs away so that Matthew wouldn't find them.

"In the end Ste decides that if John Paul doesn't trust him, he might as well go off and do drugs anyway. John Paul and Danny decide to lock Ste in his bedroom, but he jumps out the window!"

When John Paul catches up with Ste, he finally reveals that he kept him out of the frame for Fraser's murder by hiding the gun. How does Ste react?
    "That's another massive shock for Ste. At this point, Ste thinks that he's completely innocent and had nothing to do with killing Fraser, because John Paul lied to him. Ste's surprised when he hears that he did have the gun and John Paul found it and buried it to protect him. It was a massive thing for John Paul to do to make sure that Ste's name was cleared.

"Through all of this happening, the mystery of who killed Fraser comes to the forefront of the show again - and Ste is right in the firing line."

What happens next?
    "Ste and John Paul are having a heated conversation, but they realise that somebody has been listening to everything they've been saying - including where the gun is buried. When they get there, the gun is gone and they're left to wonder who overheard the conversation…"

Are you glad that Ste has found a new love interest?
    "Ste's been in quite a lot of big love stories in the show, so it's always been about him being in love and then getting his heart broken. It's nice that we've had a period where we've done other things, like the storyline with Pauline last year and the drugs story now.

"The story with John Paul hasn't been an overnight thing. They've had one kiss months ago and that's it so far. It's nice that it hasn't all been about Ste being in a relationship and there's other things involved.

"It just so happens that Ste has got a lot of love to give and the person in his eyeline right now is John Paul. He does have genuine feelings for him, and it would seem that John Paul has feelings for Ste too.

"These two unlikely people who you would never put together do have something there, but because of things getting in the way, there's still a lot they have to work out - so it's a case of will they or won't they ever get together?"

- John Paul meets up with Amy Barnes and asks her to let Ste see Leah and Lucas. They surprise him at the Lomax house, but their timing couldn’t be worse as Ste has been taking drugs. Amy swears that he will never see their children again
    - Lockie asks Ste to pay him ‘in kind’ for drugs that he has given him and John Paul overhears. When Ste doesn’t pay up and Lockie wants the drugs back, Ste mixes the dregs of his cocaine with drain cleaner.
    - Lockie asks John Paul to go for a drink and offers him drugs - Ste’s tainted drugs
    - John Paul is admitted to hospital and Myra warns Ste to stay away from her son
    - Ste realises he needs help, but when the local rehab centre is fully booked, he thinks a lifetime behind bars might sort him out instead. He smashes up a car, pushes Tegan to the floor and attacks Lockie.
    - Tegan and Leela decide to use the insurance money they received as a result of their parents’ car crash to pay for Ste to go to rehab.
    - As John Paul discharges himself from hospital and promises to wait for Ste to get clean, a jealous Lockie tells John Paul that it was Ste who spiked his drugs
    - Ste spends 28 days in rehab. Two episodes will feature him in rehab where two characters visit and make revelations that could sent Ste down a dark path

ste is the father of sinead's baby

Hollyoaks planning HIV storyline

Hollyoaks will explore another issue-based storyline next year as show regular Ste Hay is diagnosed as HIV positive.

Ste will hear the news in January after having unprotected sex with a stranger, sparking a long-running story which will explore the consequences for him and how he lives with the condition.

The sensitive plot has been planned by the Channel 4 show's bosses for several months. Cast and producers have worked with the Terrence Higgins Trust, a HIV and sexual health charity, while planning the story.

This will be the first time that a British soap has featured a gay character living with HIV, and Ste's journey will explore the effect that it has on his relationship with John Paul McQueen, his children and his physical and psychological wellbeing.

Hollyoaks' executive producer Bryan Kirkwood commented: "We have wanted to tell this story for a long time and while HIV can affect anyone, infection rates in young gay men remain too high and to ignore that is to do the gay audience a disservice.

"Hollyoaks is in a unique position to be able to talk directly to millions of young viewers and if the safe-sex message is not coming through education, we can help with that both on screen and through multi-platform support.

"2015 is Hollyoaks' 20th year and to make that our 'year of safe sex' felt right for a show built upon telling rites of passage stories. With Ste's HIV and other stories for our teenage characters, we will explore the many implications of unprotected sex and hope to encourage thoughtful debate amongst our audience."

The story will unfold following a one-night stand between Ste and a young man called Connor, who is HIV positive but is unaware of his status. Connor is later diagnosed and breaks the news to Ste, who then has to decide whether to take a HIV test himself.

Will Harris, Head of Media at Terrence Higgins Trust, commented: "We always say that a well-researched, well-told storyline in a national soap is worth any number of health campaigns, especially for a stigmatised condition like HIV. It's important because currently whole generations of young gay men are entering adulthood without the confidence they need to negotiate healthy sex and relationships.

"Until we have a statutory programme of sex and relationships education in all schools, that doesn't just teach 'what goes where' but covers bigger issues like self-esteem and respect for others, preventable scenarios like Ste's will continue to be enacted off-screen all over the country.

"Hollyoaks is sending such an important message, not just for young gay men but for anyone who may not have an up to date understanding of HIV, and we think they can do a lot of good by telling it."

Harris added: "What's so powerful about Ste's story is that it's rooted in reality. Every day in the UK, around eight more gay or bisexual men are told they have contracted HIV, most of them from someone who hadn't yet been diagnosed.

"Ste doesn't use a condom because he doesn't see the risk, yet you're far more likely to contract HIV through unprotected sex with someone who doesn't know their status than someone who knows they have HIV and is on treatment.

"Modern drug treatments can help to manage the condition but the virus finds other ways to impact on people's lives. We each have a responsibility to protect ourselves and our partners by using condoms and testing regularly."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (19-11-2014)

ste could have given it to others like sinead their baby and john paul

Hollyoaks actor Kieron Richardson says his character’s upcoming HIV-related storyline is “very important”.

Last week it was announced Richardson’s character Ste Hay will next year become the first major gay character in a British soap to be diagnosed with HIV.

Speaking on Gaydio’s The Kieron Richardson Show, he said: “Ste’s next storyline is HIV. I’m going to be the first openly gay character to be telling the story.”

“This is the first [time] it’s been done with a gay character. I think it’s massive!

He added: “HIV is on the rise predominantly within the gay community, so I think it’s very important that we do tell this story right now.

“If nothing else, if a few people watch these episodes and go get tested or prevent themselves from giving it to somebody else, it’s a great thing that we’ve achieved.”

Richardson added: “I’m really, really excited about it. Also the very dark side of it as well, we’ve had to do research and speak to people. It really does get to you and you think, ‘some people they go to really dark places’.”

“Not everybody takes to news incredibly well and for some people the eighties stigma is still there. Some people think ‘this is the end of me’.”

Ste will be diagnosed with HIV in January after having sex with a stranger, Connor, who is unaware that he is HIV positive.

Connor will later find out his status, and break the news to Ste on the Channel 4 soap.

The long-running storyline will explore his experiences of living with HIV and has been in the pipeline for several months. Producers have worked with the Terrence Higgins Trust to ensure its sensitivity.

It will explore Ste’s relationship with John-Paul McQueen, and will mark the first time a gay character in a British soap has been diagnosed with HIV.

Eastenders character Joe Wallace, played by Jason Rush, was a character who featured briefly in the BBC1 soap, and who lived with HIV in the early 90s.

Hollyoaks star Kieron Richardson has discussed his character Ste Hay's upcoming wedding to John Paul.

Viewers will see the couple marry in a special hour-long episode airing on Christmas Eve.

Speaking of the couple's festive ceremony, Richardson said to All About Soap: "It's been an honour. We don't usually do anything special at Christmas like other soaps, but this year we have an hour-long special.

"The beauty about it being on Christmas Eve is that you want to laugh and smile at that time of year, and that is exactly what you'll get.

"The wedding is big and camp - James Sutton and I are even getting dressed up as Geri Halliwell in Union Jack dresses. It's going to be good fun to watch, hopefully!"

Will John Paul and Ste be brought closer together again?
    © Lime Pictures
    John Paul and Ste will marry at Christmas.

Richardson also expressed his delight over Ste and John Paul being the first gay soap couple to marry in a church.

He said: "The fact we've filmed the first gay marriage to take place in a church is amazing.

"With Hollyoaks being 20 years old next year, this is a big thing for us and it's been incredible."

Hollyoaks bosses have announced that rugby union player Ben Foden has filmed a guest appearance on the soap.

The sportsman will appear as himself in Ste Hay and John Paul McQueen's wedding episode this Christmas.

Ben Foden
    © Lime Pictures
    Ben Foden

Foden will help to save the day when a series of last-minute mishaps lead to John Paul (James Sutton) almost missing his own wedding.

Comic scenes in the build-up to the ceremony will see John Paul and newcomer Lockie Campbell (Nick Rhys) find themselves on the run from the law following an eventful stag night.

The mischievous pair hide out in a lorry, but disaster strikes when it drives off and later leaves them stranded in a remote location.

Just when it seems that John Paul's wedding plans are in tatters, he and Lockie manage to hitch a ride back to Chester when Foden and a group of other rugby players take pity on them.

Ben Foden with Hollyoaks stars Twinnie-Lee Moore and Nick Rhys
    © Lime Pictures
    Ben with Hollyoaks stars Twinnie-Lee Moore and Nick Rhys

Ben Foden filming Hollyoaks on location
    © Lime Pictures
    Ben Foden filming Hollyoaks on location

Foden filmed his Hollyoaks scenes on location in Liverpool in early November and his cameo will air as part of the show's hour-long Christmas Eve special.

The Chester-born sports star plays as a fullback for Northampton Saints. Away from the pitch, he and his popstar wife Una are currently expecting their second child.

Hollyoaks star Kieron Richardson spoke further about his upcoming HIV storyline in a live TV interview on This Morning today (January 16).

The actor's alter ego Ste Hay will be diagnosed as HIV positive in scenes airing next week. It is the first time that a British soap has featured a gay character living with HIV.

Ste contracted the condition last year when he had unprotected sex with a student named Connor. As well as promoting safe sex, Ste's story will explore the effect that his HIV status has on his marriage to John Paul McQueen, his children and his physical and psychological wellbeing.

Speaking on ITV's morning show today, Richardson explained: "I've been there [at Hollyoaks] for nine years so you think sometimes, 'Am I a bit washed up now?', but each year it just keeps getting bigger and bigger for the character and it's challenging for me coming into work and doing the storylines."

Asked why this story is particularly important to him, he replied: "I think it's the fact that it hasn't been done with a gay character before, which shocks me a little bit.

"I've got lots of friends that have got HIV as well, so it's nice now that the show is giving a voice to the LGBT community - because it does happen and it is on the rise within our community, so why not tell the story?"

Ste & John Paul wait for their appointment
    © Lime Pictures
    Ste and John Paul decide to get HIV tests

When Connor gets back in contact with Ste next week and suggests that he should get tested, Ste is forced to break the news to John Paul (James Sutton) before they both visit a clinic together.

Richardson continued: "Ste doesn't really want to go. His first initial thought is, 'I'd rather not know, I just want to carry on as normal'. Obviously he's in a relationship and he can't do that, so it's whether or not he's going to decide to go to the clinic - and the outcome is that Ste's positive.

"It's great because this is two people's journeys. It's not just Ste's, it's John Paul's as well - how he deals with his husband having HIV. It's great and then in a couple of weeks' time, the whole village have to find out and it's everyone's reactions."

In real life, Richardson is planning to marry his long-term partner Carl Hyland this year.

Speaking about the upcoming ceremony, he laughed: "The wedding's getting bigger and bigger. My favourite thing when I go to a wedding is I want to see what the bride's wearing and the dress. Unfortunately when you come to my wedding, that's not going to happen because we're not wearing dresses!

"I've decided to have… so far it's gone up to 11 bridesmaids, but they're going to be brides wearing 11 different wedding dresses!"

Kieron Richardson has hinted that there could be another dramatic labour planned for Sinead Roscoe.

The actor's character Ste Hay is currently expecting a baby with Sinead after they had a one-night stand last year.

Richardson today (March 10) revealed the baby's name for the first time and confirmed that the birth won't take place in traditional circumstances.

He told ITV's This Morning: "We can exclusively reveal, after much deliberation, Ste and Sinead have chosen the name of baby Hannah Hay. In true Hollyoaks fashion, there's going to be lots of ups and downs and here's an exclusive for you - Hannah isn't going to be born in a hospital.

"So that's Ste, Sinead and a baby - but Ste's married to John Paul, so how's John Paul going to fit into all this?"

Sinead previously went into labour at the village's abandoned petrol station in 2013, with her then-enemy Esther Bloom helping to deliver the child.

Sinead proved herself as a good mother to her baby daughter Katy, but the youngster tragically died from a heart condition in March last year.

Thread Information