Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruby Button

Ruby Button

Hollyoaks sixth former Ruby Button has busy times ahead on screen in the coming days as the build-up to her upcoming wedding storyline begins.

When Ruby reunites with fellow student Martin 'Jono' Johnson (Dylan Llewellyn) next week, their reignited relationship develops quickly - culminating in a surprise proposal.

As well as the romance plot, Ruby continues to be a key player in the soap's ongoing teen bullying storyline, failing to support Esther Bloom (Jazmine Franks) as her ordeal gets worse.

Digital Spy recently caught up with Anna Shaffer, who plays Ruby, to hear her thoughts on the latest dramas for her character.

How does Ruby and Jono's reunion come about?
    "Well, when Jono decides that he wants to join the army, Ruby realises that she still has really strong feelings for him, but she doesn't know how to make him stay. But they end up getting back together after Maddie suggests it to Ruby. Maddie thinks Jono would definitely have a reason to stay if he and Ruby were back together.

"After that, Ruby tells Jono how she feels and he says that he feels the same way. Unfortunately though, he still wants to go off and join the army."

They've had various ups and downs, but do you think Ruby and Jono are actually a good match?
    "I think they are a good match, but their relationship hasn't really worked before, because they've both been affected by what other people think. They've been a bit shy, nervous and too reluctant to show their true feelings.

"This time it's a much more honest relationship. You'll see them much more openly happily together as a couple."

A lot of our readers were quite angry on Ruby's behalf when Jono treated her badly earlier in the year. Do you wish she'd stood up for herself more?
    "Definitely! When we were doing all those scenes, I was thinking, 'Come on Ruby, stand up for yourself - this is ridiculous!' But I could also relate to it because sometimes when you really like somebody and you want them to like you back, you're willing to accept any mistakes they make."

We know that Jono proposes with a Haribo ring next week! Does Ruby find that romantic?
    "I think, bless her, Ruby is very naïve so she does find it romantic! She knows that they're very young, but she takes the Haribo ring to be a symbol of his commitment. She's very happy about it."

© Lime Pictures

Jono still seems committed to joining the army, though. Is Ruby surprised that he's so interested in this idea?
    "Yeah, I think she's definitely surprised because it's not anything that he's mentioned before. Jono has always been very happy to hang out with Bart, who is becoming quite lazy and much more interested in smoking weed. Jono doesn't want to turn out like Bart, but it does come as a complete shock to Ruby."

You're also quite heavily involved in Esther's bullying storyline at the moment. How do you feel about being part of that story?
    "It's a great thing to be a part of, because it is such an important issue. Bullying is something that happens so often, so I think people have to constantly be aware of it.

"I think anyone can relate to bullying in some way - we all know a bully, and probably quite a few of us have been a bully at some point in our lives too. So it's great that we get a chance to tackle that issue through the storytelling on the show."

Given that they share a home, why doesn't Ruby defend Esther more?
    "I think Ruby is still really stuck in that place where she's so desperate to be with the cool kids. That's especially the case once she gets back with Jono. The one thing she fears will rock the bond that she's got with Sinead, Maddie and the rest of the guys is her relationship with Esther.

"Ruby knows how they all feel about Esther, so she is torn and she does act quite badly, because she doesn't stand up to them. She wishes she could, but ultimately she cares about what other people think rather than what she thinks herself."

Do you find that frustrating when you're playing Ruby?
    "I do find it really hard sometimes, especially because myself and Jazmine are such good friends in real life. I go into work thinking, 'Oh no, I don't want to be mean to Jazmine today!' But for the purposes of the story, it's important to just get on with it and do your job properly.

"I think Ruby's character is an interesting one, because she's very easily manipulated and she is very naïve. Sinead and Maddie are being bitchy and mean, but I think what Ruby is doing is almost worse because she's letting it happen and not standing up to them."

A lot of viewers seem to be waiting for the moment where Ruby changes sides and supports Esther. Do you think that could happen?
    "I think it could happen, but it's so hard with Ruby because she always wants to fit in, whereas Esther is much more comfortable not fitting in. I'd definitely like to see that happen, but I don't know if it will!"

© Lime Pictures

The sixth formers play a horrible prank on Esther next week which terrifies her. How involved is Ruby in that?
    "In this case, it's more that she doesn't stop it from happening, rather than it being something that she's actively created with the other girls. She's much more reluctant to go along with it, but she does. Again, I think that's just as bad because the end result is still the same - Esther is really upset and continues to get bullied by everyone else.

"Ruby feels really, really guilty about it, but once again she feels torn. She can't appear to be guilty in front of the other girls because they don't share the same feeling."

Ruby started out as a bitchy character, then we saw a nicer side and now she seems to be getting nastier again! Which do you prefer playing?
    "It's hard to pick, really. It is fun to play a bitchy character because you can be a bit more outrageous than you can be in your usual life! But I also definitely liked exploring the more vulnerable side to Ruby.

"Now it's a bit more frustrating because I'm thinking, 'Ruby, you were in exactly the same position that Esther was in and now you're treating her like everyone treated you!' But I think that can sometimes be what it's like when you're young - Ruby's part in the storyline is being young and naïve. Deep down inside, I think Ruby is still a good person."

Are you involved in the online initiative that Hollyoaks have created for the bullying storyline?
    "Yes, we've all been doing the online stuff, which will be filtering into the show. That's really exciting as it's something completely different, and it's a good way for the younger generation to explore the bullying story further."

Do people ever confuse you with your character and expect you to be nasty?
    "I think people do that all the time, actually! I guess it's almost a compliment if you play a bitchy character and people think you're really horrible, because then you're doing your job right. But I do get that sometimes - people say, 'Oh you're not bad, are you?' and I say, 'No, I'm not!'"

In real life, you're housemates with Jorgie Porter. What is she like to live with?
    "She's great to live with - she has got so much energy. We always watch TV together and eat popcorn. We're obsessed with making popcorn at the moment! It's a very girly, messy house so whenever people come round they're usually shocked by how messy we are! But apart from that it's lovely!"

Check back on Digital Spy next month for Anna's thoughts on Ruby's dramatic wedding week.

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post

Check back on Digital Spy next month for Anna's thoughts on Ruby's dramatic wedding week.
    I'm sure DS will be glad of the free publicity
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

oops sorry, did not realise

Hollyoaks star Anna Shaffer has suggested that her character Ruby Button can still be redeemed following her recent bullying storyline.

Ruby has been at the centre of upsetting scenes over the past few months with her long-running torment of Esther Bloom (Jazmine Franks), who later made a suicide attempt as her life became a misery.

However, viewers will see Ruby finally confess to her role in the bullying next week as Esther's situation becomes critical in hospital.

Shaffer told PA: "Once she finds out that this is it, Esther's either going to live or die and she's in this state really because of what Ruby's done to her, that's when she feels complete guilt.

"She feels really awful and she wants to be punished."

Asked whether Ruby can show a softer side, the actress replied: "I think it's always been there, she does have a heart. We've seen how easily she was manipulated by Maddie and she wanted to be part of the cool gang.

"At the end of the day, Ruby is human and humans make mistakes. She's done an awful thing but people can be forgiven and people can change."

Hollyoaks airs weeknights at 6.30pm on Channel 4, with first look screenings at 7pm on E4.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (29-01-2013)

I just hope it isn't straight away if people forgive Ruby, in time I could understand that I have just after ten years spoken to one of my bullies at school I really didn't feel any hatred but ask me 10 years ago and I would of shouted at you for mentioning her name

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GennieFan For This Useful Post:

lizann (29-01-2013)

esther is easily forgiving

Hollyoaks star Anna Shaffer has revealed that fans often mistake her for bully Ruby Button in real life.

The actress, whose character has made Esther Bloom's life hell in recent months, explained that she receives messages on Twitter from angry viewers defending Esther.

"I've had quite a lot of backlash on Twitter for example, but I think you have to take it in your stride because if people genuinely believe you're a nasty person then you're doing the right job," MSN quotes her as saying.

"That's the character I have to portray. It's not that nice and it is a bit repetitive when people go, 'Stop being mean to Esther' in the street but it's all part of the job and you just have to take it in your stride.

"Hopefully in coming weeks Ruby will redeem herself because she does feel so bad about what she's done."

She added that being good friends with Jazmine Franks, who plays Esther, means the pair can really "go for it" while filming their scenes.

"It's actually a bonus that we are such good friends," she said. "A while ago I had to slap her across the face and she was going, 'Go on, just do it'. If we didn't like each other in real life there's no way she would have let me slap her across the face!"

Is is true the actress who plays Ruby is leaving?

Hollyoaks star Anna Shaffer has decided to leave the show.

The actress has been playing Ruby Button on the Channel 4 soap for three years.

A Hollyoaks spokesperson confirmed the news to Digital Spy this morning, revealing that Shaffer's final scenes will air early next year.

Shaffer started filming with Hollyoaks in late 2010 and her first scenes aired in January 2011, when Ruby was introduced as the bitchy sister of Duncan Button (Dean Aspen).

Ruby's early storylines concentrated on her manipulative behaviour and rebellious antics in the village. However, fans also saw a softer side to her personality when it was revealed that she was illiterate and was hiding her struggles from teachers and friends.

Ruby also had a key role to play in Esther Bloom's dark bullying story, tormenting her roommate and friend after unfairly blaming her for the death of boyfriend Jono (Dylan Llewellyn).

More recently, Ruby has been in an on-off relationship with womaniser Ziggy Roscoe (Fabrizio Santino), which will continue with more twists and turns in the next few weeks.

Prior to Hollyoaks, Shaffer portrayed the role of Romilda Vane in the final three Harry Potter films.

Hollyoaks star Anna Shaffer has decided to leave the show.

The actress has been playing Ruby Button on the Channel 4 soap for three years.

A Hollyoaks spokesperson confirmed the news to Digital Spy this morning, revealing that Shaffer's final scenes will air early next year.

Shaffer started filming with Hollyoaks in late 2010 and her first scenes aired in January 2011, when Ruby was introduced as the bitchy sister of Duncan Button (Dean Aspen).

Ruby's early storylines concentrated on her manipulative behaviour and rebellious antics in the village. However, fans also saw a softer side to her personality when it was revealed that she was illiterate and was hiding her struggles from teachers and friends.

Ruby also had a key role to play in Esther Bloom's dark bullying story, tormenting her roommate and friend after unfairly blaming her for the death of boyfriend Jono (Dylan Llewellyn).

More recently, Ruby has been in an on-off relationship with womaniser Ziggy Roscoe (Fabrizio Santino), which will continue with more twists and turns in the next few weeks.

Prior to Hollyoaks, Shaffer portrayed the role of Romilda Vane in the final three Harry Potter films.

Thread Information