Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ali Spencer and Ruby Haswell

Thumbs up Ali Spencer and Ruby Haswell

Emmerdale bosses have announced that former Shameless star Kelli Hollis and ex-Bad Girls actress Alicya Eyo have joined the cast of the soap.

The pair have landed the roles of village newcomers Ali Spencer and Ruby Haswell, who are due to make their first appearance on screen in the autumn.

Ali is the sister of troublesome Rachel Breckle (Gemma Oaten), who made her debut last week when she arrived at the Dingles' home for a furious showdown with Sam.

Just as fiery as her outspoken sibling, Ali breaks up with her husband and leaves her flat on the Hotten estate, hoping for a new start in the village with her two children Sean and Amelia, played by 14-year-old Luke Roskell and 7-year-old Daisy Campbell.

However, Ali's life is far from uncomplicated as she has left her husband for Ruby, much to the horror of her tearaway son.

A statement released by the show teased: "Ali is determined to make her new life in Emmerdale with Ruby work, regardless of Sean's reaction and the pleas of her determined ex-husband to give their marriage another go. When faced with the reality of Ali's baggage, does Ruby really feel the same?"

Hollis portrayed the role of Yvonna Karib on Shameless between 2003 and 2009. She also played Tina Crabtree in the 2004 feature film Mischief Night.

Speaking of her casting, she commented: "As a Leeds girl myself, getting a role as a new regular character for Emmerdale in my home town is a dream come true. I'm really excited to be playing Ali."

Eyo, meanwhile, played Denny Blood in Bad Girls from 1999 to 2003 and has also had recent roles in Silent Witness and Waterloo Road.

Of her new part as Ruby, she said: "I'm over the moon and can't wait to get started. Being part of a show that I've grown up watching is amazing and Ruby is going to be a lot of fun to play."

Ali and Ruby will arrive on screen in October and have been tipped to cause a stir with their no-nonsense attitudes.

Emmerdale's series producer Stuart Blackburn said: "Ali and Ruby are down to earth, gritty, funny and likeable and after leaving her husband of 15 years, Ali has a lot riding on making her new life in Emmerdale work."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (28-07-2011)

This is what they look like, Kelli is the blonde one
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (28-07-2011)

Who is Eyo playing?

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    Who is Eyo playing?
    She is playing Ruby.

EMMERDALE bosses are adding to their only gay character - by bringing in a lesbian couple.

Shameless star Kelli Hollis and Bad Girls actress Alicya Eyo will play on-screen lovers.

The ITV soap currently has just one gay character, Aaron Livesy, while Coronation Street has five.

Kelli will play Ali - the sister of troublemaker Rachel Breckle - who has left her husband to start a new life with her kids Sean and Amelia.

But soap sources say the children are horrified when Ali reveals she is setting up house with her lover Ruby (Alicya).

Kelli is best known for playing Yvonne Karib in Shameless.

Alicya played Denny Blood in Bad Girls and has appeared in Silent Witness and Waterloo Road.

Kelli said: "Getting a role as a new regular character for Emmerdale is a dream come true."

Alicya, said: "Being part of a show I've grown-up watching is amazing and Ruby is going to be a lot of fun to play."

Series producer Stuart Blackburn said: "Ali and Ruby are down to earth, gritty, funny and likeable and after leaving her husband of 15 years, Ali has a lot riding on making her new life in Emmerdale work."

The pair will arrive on screen in October.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz1TT1JppZg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (29-07-2011)

Finally, on Emmerdale, anyone who's been reading about the arrival of Rachel Breckle's family will know that her sister Ali leaves her husband for another woman.

It's now been confirmed that actor Liam Fox will play Ali's estranged partner Dan Spencer, who reportedly arrives in the village in November hoping to make life difficult for Ali and her girlfriend Ruby.

'Emmerdale' Kelli Hollis DS Interview

Former Shameless star Kelli Hollis makes her debut in Emmerdale next week, taking on the role of Rachel Breckle's sister Ali Spencer.

Ali moves into Brook Cottage with her children Sean and Amelia, looking for a fresh start having recently left her husband for another woman. However, there's bound to be fireworks ahead in the family as she plans to move her girlfriend Ruby (ex-Bad Girls actress Alicya Eyo) in too - which leaves Sean horrified.

Here, Kelli chats about joining Emmerdale and what viewers can expect from Ali.

How would you describe Ali?
    "She's feisty and she will do anything for her kids. She has left her husband for a woman, but she doesn't have any issues about having made that decision. What she is dealing with are the dynamics of the family and how the decision affects the family.

"She just wants to find a way for them all to get on together, including with her sister Rachel. For Ali, everything is about keeping the family together at the moment."

Why has she decided to move to Emmerdale?
    "Ali has left her husband of 15 years, who is apparently a good man and a great father, and she met Ruby. She has never been in a relationship with a woman before and she never planned to become a lesbian, but she met Ruby and has fallen in love and this is about a fresh start for all of them.

"There are no doubts in Ali's mind where Ruby is concerned - she didn't take the decision to leave her husband and split up the family lightly. She's fallen in love and she is 100% committed to Ruby. Ruby might occasionally worry this is a phase for Ali or a flash in the pan, but it absolutely isn't.

"They are from a council estate in Hotten but Rachel tells them about the village and Brook Cottage being available. Rachel convinces Ali to take it and start a new life in Emmerdale."

Why have we seen Rachel looking after the children?
    "The kids' dad works away a lot because he's a truck driver and I think because it's early days with Ali and Ruby, they've made the decision to be together but don't want Ruby to be too full-on with the kids initially. So the kids have been spending a lot of time with Rachel in the village. I think their plan is to gradually integrate Ruby into the family."

Why hasn't Ali told Sean that they are moving to the village?
    "She thinks Sean would do a runner. They are obviously having issues with him already and that would probably be the icing on the cake. If she asks him if he wants to move to the village she knows he'll say no, so why bother asking? She hopes to hold off the grief for a bit longer!

"The anger he's got has been building because not only has his mum left his dad, but she's left him for a woman. So he's probably getting loads of stick off his mates at school and that's why he's bunking off school. He's bound to rebel. He's 14 and he's angry!"

On moving day, Amelia is involved in an accident. Can you talk us through what happens?
    "While they are moving furniture in, there is a lot going on and they take their eyes off her. Carl and Cameron are messing about in their cars trying to get at each other, and Amelia steps out into the road as Carl is reversing.

"Luckily, Sam grabs her but she dislocates her shoulder. So Ali reacts by punching Carl in the face. I don't think she is necessarily a violent person but when it comes to her kids, that is what she'll do, whatever it takes to protect them. So we can expect a few more punches, I hope so anyway!"

Do you think Ali will settle in the village, and is it going to be what she's hoping it will be?
    "I don't think it's going to be initially. I think for a while she will question whether she has made the right decision, due to Sean's reaction. She knows it's the right decision for herself, but she'll question if it's the right thing for the family. I think Ali will expect a reaction to her and Ruby's relationship in such a small village, but there is no major statement.

"Slowly but surely, everyone sort of twigs that they're a couple so we'll see how that goes. Sean is the only one who's got the issue at the moment, and her ex-husband of course. He is set to turn up on the doorstep, but Ali just wants the life that she's chosen to have now and doesn't want anyone messing it up."

Who do you think Ali will cross paths with in the village?
    "She has a run-in straight away with Nicola, but who doesn't? I'd like her to get really palled-up with Edna, because you often find the most random people end up becoming really good friends and I think Edna could do with a best bud. I could be the one who goes round for a cup of tea and educates her a little bit!"

How did the part come about for you?
    "In this job, whenever you get a job, the chances are you're going to be away from home, so when the phone call came about the part, everyone was telling me, 'This is perfect for you'. It was all a bit too good to be true to start with, so I didn't build my hopes up.

"Alicya and I had different partners in the screen test and I was so sure she would get the part and because she had a different partner, I thought that was it for me. But when I got it, I was just over the moon. I'm from Leeds and live just ten minutes from the studio and Emmerdale is just an institution, so to get a job here is just amazing.

"It's a lot more subtle than some of the other soaps. Obviously there is big drama, but they do it so well. Whatever Emmerdale does, they always do very, very well. When my agent called, I was running up and down the street and ringing my mum who was screaming down the phone and crying. She says I've got to bring her to work to meet Cain. I think she'll be stalking him!"

How was your first day on set?
    "I was absolutely petrified and my first scene was in The Woolpack, so I was really worried and thrown in at the deep end. I was hoping no-one would make a fuss so I could sneak on and get the scene done, but I had worked with the director before so he made this big announcement on set and I just wanted to die! Everyone was so lovely, though, and coming over to tell me about their first days. Everyone has been so welcoming."

Kash from Shameless is romancing Charity now hope we see some scenes with them

Alicya Eyo has revealed that she is still "in awe" at joining Emmerdale.

The former Bad Girls actress joined the soap in October as Ruby Haswell, and has described her latest role as "incredible".

© ITV

"I grew up with Emmerdale," she told the Liverpool Echo. "It's always been a part of my life so it's been incredible. To be in something that's been running for so long is amazing.

"I still have moments when I'm on set and I have to shake myself. I'll be in The Woolpack and I'll see photos of [past characters] Amos, Seth and Jack Sugden. And I'm in awe. I have to tell myself 'You're at work. Calm down'."

Eyo also praised the "amazing" support she has received from friends and family back home in Liverpool since she joined the show, and revealed that she is able to split her time between Leeds, London and her hometown.

"It's been really nice because people have been really supportive," she added. "One woman chased me round Asda on Smithdown Road the other day. She and her granddaughter were huge fans of Emmerdale and she wanted an autograph. She didn't have a pen so she said 'I'll meet you at the checkout.' Everyone's been great and they say 'good on you girl'.

"My family are in Liverpool so I spend a lot of my time here. Ruby's slightly different to me. But it was good I could relate to her as I'd come from a city. She's a great character to play. She's cheeky and down to earth."

Speaking about her character Ruby's ongoing financial issues with her partner Ali Spencer (Kelli Hollis), she said: "I've met lots of people who can relate to the storyline. Ruby has never had huge responsibilities but now she has a ready-made family.

"They're skint and they have to weigh up what's best for the family now there are four mouths to feed. Ruby adores Ali but she misses her old life. They wonder if they've done the right thing
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

I dont mind Rachel but these two are pants

Quote Originally Posted by lizann View Post
    I dont mind Rachel but these two are pants
    maybe ali will become likeable if they get rid of ruby do you think?

Thread Information