Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rhys Lawson

Rhys Lawson

Neighbours bosses have announced the casting of actor Ben Barber as new regular character Rhys Lawson.

The 27-year-old has already filmed his first scenes as Rhys, a doctor who is tipped to cause a stir in Erinsborough as his arrival will not go down well with some of the locals.

Barber started work on set last week, shooting alongside established cast members Jackie Woodburne and Alan Fletcher (Susan and Karl Kennedy).

Speaking of his casting, the new recruit commented: "I love the character, he is very determined and focused. I'm looking forward to what's ahead."

Barber, who trained at the National Institute of Dramatic Arts, will hit screens in Australia in July.

News of his arrival follows last week's announcement that Benjamin McNair is returning to Neighbours for a four-month guest stint as Malcolm Kennedy.

Other recent cast changes have seen James Mason (Chris Pappas) and Christopher Milligan (Kyle Canning) promoted to regular fixtures in Erinsborough.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (13-06-2011)

Looks yummy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

xcarlyx (14-06-2011)

I seen him in H&A the other day as a river boy

Neighbours star Ben Barber has insisted that his character Rhys Lawson is a nice guy at heart.

The ambitious doctor has been appearing in Erinsborough since July last year, and viewers in the UK are about to see the full force of his ruthless side.

However, speaking to Digital Spy about Rhys's personality, Barber explained: "Very, very deep down he is quite sensitive and he does mean well.

"I think at the end of the day, he just wants to win and he has this ability to justify why he does things, and if people are hurt in the process, it's their fault. His vision is the one that is most important."

In episodes soon to air on Channel 5, Rhys launches a nasty plan to land a place on Erinsborough Hospital's surgery programme.

Befriending new intern Erin (Elise Jansen), Rhys pretends to be romantically interested in her - hoping to distract her away from work and get her kicked off the programme so he can take her place.

Barber added: "This is Rhys at his manipulative best. He woos Erin and when she is completely vulnerable, he strikes!"

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5 in the UK, and weekdays at 6.30pm on Eleven in Australia.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (09-02-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    "I think at the end of the day, he just wants to win and he has this ability to justify why he does things, and if people are hurt in the process, it's their fault. His vision is the one that is most important."
    That's the complete opposite of a nice guy! I can't stand Rhys and any attempts to make him seem sensitive fall flat for me.

'Neighbours' Ben Barber interview: 'Romance on the way for Rhys'

Neighbours' UK fans are about to see the full force of Rhys Lawson's manipulative side as he launches a nasty scheme to worm his way on to Erinsborough Hospital's surgical programme.

The Ramsay Street doctor failed to make the cut last year, but he sees a chance to rectify the situation in the coming days when he meets new surgical intern Erin (Elise Jansen).

Seeing that Erin is shy and vulnerable, Rhys pretends to be romantically interested in her - hoping to distract her away from work and get her kicked off the programme so he can take her place. However, Kate Ramsay (Ashleigh Brewer) is shocked by his antics and tries to sabotage his plans.

Digital Spy recently had a quick chat with Ben Barber, who plays Rhys, to hear about the new storyline, life at Neighbours and his character's future.

We've seen you on our screens for about seven months now. How are you finding your time at Neighbours?
    "I'm absolutely loving it. The cast are fantastic, we have a lot of fun on and off the set, and while the pace we film takes a bit of getting used to, I think I'm on top of it now and I'm enjoying the challenge."

Fans have seen Rhys as quite a complex character. How do you describe him to people?
    "Ambitious is usually the first word that comes to mind! He's also driven and good at getting what he wants. And very, very deep down, he is quite sensitive and he does mean well.

What kind of a reaction have you seen from viewers over Rhys?
    "I think they like him. They're always wondering what he is going to do next - he is unpredictable. They know he is capable of being manipulative, so they're interested to see what happens next."

How is Rhys feeling after losing out on a place on the surgical programme?
    "He is devastated and desperate. This is the Holy Grail for him and also for his ill mother, and through an act of stupidity, he has lost it. So when he starts targeting Erin to get a place on the programme, this is Rhys at his manipulative best. He woos Erin and when she is completely vulnerable, he strikes!"

Were you surprised when you read the scripts and saw how ruthless Rhys would be in this storyline?
    "I'm always surprised! I'm stunned at the situations the writers have him in, until I see where it's going and I get a handle of his motivation."

How does Rhys feel when Kate starts to interfere in his scheming?
    "To Rhys, how Kate feels is of no concern to him. His objective is to get into the programme, and if Erin is a casualty, so be it. And if this appalls Kate, that's her issue!"

We see Erin get a warning at work after Rhys makes her miss an important class. Is there any sense of guilt from Rhys?
    "Guilt? Hell no! His plan is falling into place perfectly. You'll see that Kate later tries to tell Erin what Rhys is up to. But the guy is a charmer and is able to make Erin believe that Kate is the one with the problem."

Then he tries to imply that Erin has a drinking problem…
    "Yes, he spills wine on Erin's top, so when she goes into the hospital, she wreaks of alcohol. Rhys just has to plant the seed of doubt, fake some concern for his colleague, and rumour and innuendo does the rest…"

Would you like to redeem Rhys in the long-run? Or do you want him to become more and more ruthless as a character?
    "The latter definitely, however you need to show that there is another side to the character, otherwise he is one-dimensional and I don't think the viewers would buy that."

Rhys had a one-night stand with Kate last year. Would you like more to happen between those two?
    "Sparks definitely fly when Rhys is around Kate. He knows how to press her buttons so, yeah, it would be interesting to see where those two could go."

Can we expect more scenes between Rhys and his mother?
    "Definitely. There is a major backstory to Rhys and his mother coming up, which explains a lot about why Rhys is the way he is."

What's next for Rhys?
    "Well, speaking of his mother, there is a big revelation coming up, and believe it or not, there is some romance for the doctor - however, it isn't with Kate which viewers may expect."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (11-02-2012)

Great interview. Thanks for posting Perdita!

I like Rhys, even though he's a schemer. As the interview says, there's more to him than this. He's an interesting character with some issues. As is Jade too. I think they're both great.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruffed_lemur For This Useful Post:

Perdita (11-02-2012)

Erinsborough Hospital's Rhys Lawson will reportedly suffer a serious career setback after attempting to save the victims of a car crash.

The doctor, who dreams of becoming a surgeon, is left devastated after learning that a hand injury is more serious than first thought.

According to the Daily Star, Rhys - played by Ben Barber - gets hurt as he tries to help out at the scene of accident and then refuses to get his hand looked at when the ambulance crew arrives. It is only later at the hospital, when his girlfriend Vanessa Villante persuades him to have his injury examined, that Rhys learns that he needs an operation on his hand and has only a 5% chance of making a full recovery.

"Rhys has always wanted to be a top surgeon and the news shatters his world," a Neighbours insider told the paper. "He quickly descends into a dark depression and starts to think that his life is over."

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5. Viewers will be able to see the drama surrounding Rhys and the crash unfold later this autumn.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (12-08-2012), Ruffed_lemur (12-08-2012)

Erinsborough Hospital's Rhys Lawson will reportedly suffer a serious career setback after attempting to save the victims of a car crash.

The doctor, who dreams of becoming a surgeon, is left devastated after learning that a hand injury is more serious than first thought.

According to the Daily Star, Rhys - played by Ben Barber - gets hurt as he tries to help out at the scene of accident and then refuses to get his hand looked at when the ambulance crew arrives. It is only later at the hospital, when his girlfriend Vanessa Villante persuades him to have his injury examined, that Rhys learns that he needs an operation on his hand and has only a 5% chance of making a full recovery.

"Rhys has always wanted to be a top surgeon and the news shatters his world," a Neighbours insider told the paper. "He quickly descends into a dark depression and starts to think that his life is over."

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5. Viewers will be able to see the drama surrounding Rhys and the crash unfold later this autumn.

Neighbours' Rhys Lawson has tough times ahead on UK screens later this month as he fears that his career could be over.

The surgical intern, played by Ben Barber, injures his hand while rescuing the teens after their upcoming car crash - which throws his entire future into jeopardy.

Rhys initially has no idea that the damage to his hand is so serious, but when Karl Kennedy brings his tests forward, he soon hears some shocking news - he only has a 5% chance of a full recovery.

At first Rhys is keen to fight this, but the reality of the situation soon hits home as he knows that the odds aren't good for him to continue as a surgeon.

When Vanessa and Susan both encourage Rhys not to give up, he tries to be optimistic and ploughs ahead with his rehab. Will he be able to get the results that he wants?

Neighbours airs these scenes on Thursday, September 27 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

Thread Information