Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Syed and Christian to leave

Exclamation Syed and Christian to leave

Marc Elliott and John Partridge are to leave EastEnders, it has been announced.

The duo, who play lovers Syed Masood and Christian Clarke, will be written out of the BBC soap in November in a dramatic storyline currently being kept under wraps, reports The Mirror.

Executive producer Lorraine Newman explained: "Marc and John have been a fantastic part of the show and their characters have been a huge success.

"Their storylines have broken boundaries that have not been seen in a soap before and the love for them by the viewers can be seen in their 'Chryed' fans.

"When Marc announced he had decided to move on, we had a tough decision to make. After numerous conversations, which included John, it was decided that there is only one outcome for Syed and Christian.

"We wish them both all the best for the future."

Elliott, who joined the series in 2009, said: "I have had a brilliant time on EastEnders and made some amazing friends. I have also been blessed with some incredible storylines.

"I am especially pleased that the show has tackled and raised awareness of the sensitive subject of being a gay Muslim."

He went on to say: "As an actor you are always looking for new challenges and I feel now is the right time to explore different projects - perhaps returning to my roots in theatre."

Partridge, who first appeared as Christian in 2008, added: "I have had the time of my life at EastEnders, but I have always gone with my instincts - and leaving at the same time as Marc felt like the only thing to do.

"It is the right end to the story and for Christian. But, excitingly, it is also the start of a whole new chapter for me."

Earlier this week, Masood Ahmed actor Nitin Ganatra teased that Syed would return to the "dodgy dealings" of his younger days in a future storyline.

Meanwhile, EastEnders newcomer Gary Lucy's character Danny Pennant is rumoured to be involved in a love triangle with Syed and Christian when he arrives in Walford.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

megan999 (21-10-2012), tammyy2j (08-09-2012)

Gutted about this I love them.

Two of the better characters on the show leaving shame

It's very bittersweet news, I love Christian & Syed and their love story but I am sick of the way they've been treated by the Eastenders bosses, they've been criminally underused for the best part of 2 years now. I really respect Marc Elliott for deciding to leave, I am sure it was soul destroying been given nothing substantial to do for months on end. He is a talented actor and I wish him great success in the future. I am glad John Partridge decided to leave at the same time as Marc, I just hope we get a happily ever after. I doubt I'll watch the show after November, I only started watching again for Chryed and apart from Ian and Zainab at the moment, I really couldn't care less. Maybe one day tptb who wasted the potential of two great characters and actors will realize what they've lost and when they do I hope both ME & JP are enjoying success where their talents are appreciated.
    Last edited by Birdy21; 08-09-2012 at 01:00.

I love John Partridge, he is such a steady feature in EE.

I want a happy ending for Chryd, EE losing two very good actors

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Siobhan (09-09-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    doubt it, rarely get happy endings in soaps

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    doubt it, rarely get happy endings in soaps

Off the top of my head, I think they might run off with Jasmine. Really sad to see them go, but rather impressed with John Partridge saying he'd go too, suggests he does care about the character and their storylines and isn't just going to stay on for the sake of it.
    Check out my Strictly Come Dancing Blog! - The 2014 blogging has begun!

EastEnders stars Nitin Ganatra, Nina Wadia and Phaldut Sharma have promised that the upcoming exit of Syed and Christian will be "particularly special".

It was announced last week that Marc Elliott and John Partridge are to leave the BBC soap, with their final appearances taking place in November.

Speaking to Digital Spy at the TV Choice Awards last night (September 10), the trio said that saying goodbye would be "very painful" for both themselves and the Masoods.

"Of course we're going to miss them, yeah," Ganatra said. "We've become such a big family unit anyway and to see the family split up like that it's going to be very painful.

"We all get along so well and we have a lot of fun together, so yes it's going to be sad to see them go."

Sharma jested: "I've just arrived [as] the guys left, so I've taken it quite personal."

Confirming that Syed and Christian's exit storyline is currently being filmed, an emotional Wadia added: "There's happiness, there's sadness... it's a particularly special exit."

Ganatra also stated that autumn in EastEnders is "going to be pretty Masood-heavy" as Syed's dodgy dealings "lead to another crisis in the household".

"Who knows what's going to happen to the Argee Bhajee?" he joked.

Thread Information