Thread: Max Bygraves R.I.P.

Max Bygraves R.I.P.

Very sad news. R,I,P. Max. You were a great entertainer. One of the country's finest ever:

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

alan45 (01-09-2012), Chloe O'brien (01-09-2012), Perdita (01-09-2012), tammyy2j (01-09-2012)

RIP Max

I wanna tell you a story...........................

To be honest I thought he was dead years ago. Its only after reading his obituary that I realised he had been living in Australia. He was a true legend who will be remembered long after some of todays so called legends are forgotten.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Siobhan (01-09-2012), tammyy2j (01-09-2012)

To be honest I thought he was dead years ago. Its only after reading his obituary that I realised he had been living in Australia. He was a true legend who will be remembered long after some of todays so called legends are forgotten.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

And so, as he enters the Pearly Gates, he says, "I've arrived and to prove it, I'm here!"

R.i.p.

Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post

You know Alan I like you thought he had died years ago, it was only after a long meeting at work were one of the bigwigs talk went on that Max's name popped up. as some were doing "The I want to tell you a story" impression. One of my friends googled him and we found out he was living with his daughter.

R.I.P Max

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chloe O'brien For This Useful Post:

alan45 (02-09-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by alan45 View Post

You know Alan I like you thought he had died years ago, it was only after a long meeting at work were one of the bigwigs talk went on that Max's name popped up. as some were doing "The I want to tell you a story" impression. One of my friends googled him and we found out he was living with his daughter.

R.I.P Max

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

I knew he was still alive. There was a piece in the papers a few months ago about how he had Alzheimer's and the family were asking for people to send postcards of places he would know to help him remember things. As he had appeared at the West Cliff Theatre, Clacton, a few years ago, we sent him a photo.

He was a great entertainer. I can remember the discussion we had at our Theatre Trust meeting when we were approached by his agent to ask if we wanted him to appear at the West Cliff. Our manager and Trust chairman at the time were both very cautious people and thought the guarantee we were being asked for was too high and brought it to a Trust meeting as they didn't think we would sell enough tickets to cover his guarantee. I couldn't believe it when they said this. I said he'd sell the theatre out, especially with the age profile of our area. In the end the Trust reluctantly agreed to go ahead. Not only did he sell the house out, but we had to put on a second performance and he sold that out too. The show was brilliant.

Fortunately we now have a new manager and chairman (me!) who don't mind taking chances and we are now getting some very high profile names appearing...but it all started with Max!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

alan45 (02-09-2012)

I knew he was still alive. There was a piece in the papers a few months ago about how he had Alzheimer's and the family were asking for people to send postcards of places he would know to help him remember things. As he had appeared at the West Cliff Theatre, Clacton, a few years ago, we sent him a photo.

He was a great entertainer. I can remember the discussion we had at our Theatre Trust meeting when we were approached by his agent to ask if we wanted him to appear at the West Cliff. Our manager and Trust chairman at the time were both very cautious people and thought the guarantee we were being asked for was too high and brought it to a Trust meeting as they didn't think we would sell enough tickets to cover his guarantee. I couldn't believe it when they said this. I said he'd sell the theatre out, especially with the age profile of our area. In the end the Trust reluctantly agreed to go ahead. Not only did he sell the house out, but we had to put on a second performance and he sold that out too. The show was brilliant.

Fortunately we now have a new manager and chairman (me!) who don't mind taking chances and we are now getting some very high profile names appearing...but it all started with Max!

I just said that....
    Last edited by parkerman; 02-09-2012 at 09:54.

Thread Information