Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bernice Blackstock

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    What chemistry?
    Exactly there is none

Emmerdale star Samantha Giles has tipped her character Bernice Blackstock to cause "havoc" upon her return to the village.

The actress recently reprised the role of Bernice and will appear back on screen from mid-November.

Speaking on Daybreak this morning (October 16), Giles confirmed that Bernice is hoping to get to know her daughter Gabby when she arrives back.

Giles commented: "I think [she's back] to cause a bit of havoc and re-bond with Gabby. It's a good time for her to come back, because there's been so much going on with Ashley.

"It's great for me - it's great to be asked back. I've just had a new baby. I take her with me, she's only 11 weeks! She's very good and she's very placid, so it's working out well so far."

Discussing Bernice's traits, the 41-year-old continued: "She is very selfish. I don't think she necessarily means to always be that selfish - I think she's been brought up as an only child and sometimes that can make people a bit selfish, can't it?

"But she's got a very kind heart as well. She just puts her foot in it, and she comes back and she puts her foot in it left, right and centre!"

With Emmerdale's cast and crew busy preparing for Wednesday's (October 17) hour-long live episode, Giles praised her colleagues for taking on the challenge.

She explained: "I think they're all very brave. I'm relieved that I'm not part of the live episode! There's so many big things happening - it's going to be very exciting. I can feel there's been a big buzz going on building up to it."

Emmerdale Live airs tomorrow from 7pm on ITV1.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (16-10-2012), tammyy2j (16-10-2012)

So maybe she isnt back for any funerals

Emmerdale star Samantha Giles has predicted that her character Bernice Blackstock will not get a warm welcome when she returns to the village.

Bernice, who has links to a number of the local residents including ex-husband Ashley Thomas (John Middleton), returns to screens on Tuesday, November 20 as she arrives at The Woolpack unexpectedly.

Speaking to Soaplife, Giles tipped Bernice to ruffle feathers as she aims to spend more time with her daughter Gabby, who is already struggling with Ashley's split from Laurel (Charlotte Bellamy).

Giles explained: "Bernice thinks she'll just show up and everything will be fine with Gabby. She hasn't thought about the hard time Gabby's had recently, the breakdown of Ashley and Laurel's relationship and the stuff with Marlon. It must be very confusing for Gabby."

She continued: "Obviously Bernice has stayed in touch with Ashley over the years when they've done the exchanges with Gabby. But I think Bernice still finds him to be a bit pious. She tends to treat him as a bit of a joke, which irritates him."

The actress said that Laurel may also find it difficult to see Bernice spending time with Gabby.

Giles commented: "Bernice isn't being intentionally horrible or meaning to step on anyone's toes, but it just hasn't occurred to her that this is a serious issue for Laurel. She's always been rather patronising and dismissive towards Laurel because she sees her as this cleaner, which is what Laurel did when Bernice first met her."

When Bernice arrives back, she makes it clear that her marriage is in serious trouble - and as show bosses have recently cast her new lover Steve Harland, it appears that she may have been having an affair.

Giles teased: "She always used to leave a trail of disaster behind her and she hasn't changed one bit. Bernice is just as bad as she always was."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (07-11-2012)

I wasn't a viewer of Emmerdale when she was in it but I find her character most objectionable - her prissy voice, her attitude to her children - dump them when a bloke comes along. her assumption that she is the only one in the world who has any value - not a very nice addition - could put me off viewing.
    Last edited by Cheetah; 30-12-2012 at 12:29.

Her return has been a disaster imo and she used be a great character

What now for her? She is living still with Ashley a reunion for them or a new fella for her maybe revenge on Nicola she goes after Jimmy

Last edited by tammyy2j; 12-09-2013 at 16:37.

She''s totally wooden and then when her boyfriend was leaving, if he just asked me - she was ready to go with him / take him back ... Cameron I have a job for you ..

Emmerdale's Bernice Blackstock will be one of the twelve characters who is taken hostage by killer Cameron Murray in next week's dramatic episodes.

Here, Samantha Giles - who plays Bernice - delves into the trouble ahead from her character's point of view in a quick chat.

How does Bernice feel to be caught up in the hostage situation?
    "She is very scared to be taken hostage. It sort of bonds her and her sister Nicola, and it brings them a bit closer together because people cling to their nearest and dearest in those sort of scary situations.

"But she is very frightened and very desperate like everyone else to get out. There are one or two occasions where she thinks she might be able to get out because she has been helping Cameron. I think the audience will go, 'Oh shut up, Bernice'."

The story kicks off when Chas locks down The Woolpack because Cameron is in the area. Is that the moment when people really start to get worried?
    "I don't think they do get that worried then, I think it's just kind of the feeling that he is out there. Nobody actually thinks he's in the pub. It's only when the doors have been locked and he appears at the bar with the shotgun that we realise he is actually here and we've locked everything so we can't even do a runner!"

The weather is pretty horrific, which even leads to The Woolpack's cellar flooding. Does this add to the dark atmosphere?
    "Yes it's very atmospheric with the rain. There are shots where you can see the window and the rain is absolutely pelting down. It makes it seem like a film and like we're in a disaster movie."

© ITV
    Everyone waits for news of their loved ones.

What was the mood like on set when you were filming these scenes?
    "It was scary on set. The director, Duncan [Foster], was just brilliant at getting everybody revved up and in the right mood, and obviously with Dominic playing Cameron, it was just very scary. It did have the sense of realism for us.

"With three days of filming the siege scenes, it did feel like we had been under siege. We were exhausted. But there was a very strong supportive atmosphere on set."

Were you excited when you saw the scripts?
    "Yes of course, I'm sure it's going to be an absolutely great episode. Luckily I do not have too much to say really, but from an emotional point of view it's quite challenging because you don't want to let anybody down - other actors or the audience. You want it to come across as realistic as possible. I'm sure we have achieved that."

Last year was a pretty big year for Emmerdale with the 40th birthday. Do you think this October is going to be just as good?
    "I do think it's going to be just as good, in a different way though. I think that it's a fantastic episode to mark the 41st year. I wasn't involved in the live episode so I had kind of a lucky escape in some ways, as it must have been quite scary! But I'm really pleased and excited to be involved in this show - I think it's absolutely at its best at the moment."

One of the hostages gets shot. Is Bernice the unlucky one who takes the bullet?
    "If Bernice got shot, I think people would be quite pleased! She's a bit of a pain and it would shut her up a bit. But we don't always get what we want in life, do we? So we'll just have to wait and see!"
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Emmerdale's Bernice Blackstock will be one of the twelve characters who is taken hostage by killer Cameron Murray in next week's dramatic episodes.

Here, Samantha Giles - who plays Bernice - delves into the trouble ahead from her character's point of view in a quick chat.

How does Bernice feel to be caught up in the hostage situation?
    "She is very scared to be taken hostage. It sort of bonds her and her sister Nicola, and it brings them a bit closer together because people cling to their nearest and dearest in those sort of scary situations.

"But she is very frightened and very desperate like everyone else to get out. There are one or two occasions where she thinks she might be able to get out because she has been helping Cameron. I think the audience will go, 'Oh shut up, Bernice'."

The story kicks off when Chas locks down The Woolpack because Cameron is in the area. Is that the moment when people really start to get worried?
    "I don't think they do get that worried then, I think it's just kind of the feeling that he is out there. Nobody actually thinks he's in the pub. It's only when the doors have been locked and he appears at the bar with the shotgun that we realise he is actually here and we've locked everything so we can't even do a runner!"

The weather is pretty horrific, which even leads to The Woolpack's cellar flooding. Does this add to the dark atmosphere?
    "Yes it's very atmospheric with the rain. There are shots where you can see the window and the rain is absolutely pelting down. It makes it seem like a film and like we're in a disaster movie."

© ITV
    Everyone waits for news of their loved ones.

What was the mood like on set when you were filming these scenes?
    "It was scary on set. The director, Duncan [Foster], was just brilliant at getting everybody revved up and in the right mood, and obviously with Dominic playing Cameron, it was just very scary. It did have the sense of realism for us.

"With three days of filming the siege scenes, it did feel like we had been under siege. We were exhausted. But there was a very strong supportive atmosphere on set."

Were you excited when you saw the scripts?
    "Yes of course, I'm sure it's going to be an absolutely great episode. Luckily I do not have too much to say really, but from an emotional point of view it's quite challenging because you don't want to let anybody down - other actors or the audience. You want it to come across as realistic as possible. I'm sure we have achieved that."

Last year was a pretty big year for Emmerdale with the 40th birthday. Do you think this October is going to be just as good?
    "I do think it's going to be just as good, in a different way though. I think that it's a fantastic episode to mark the 41st year. I wasn't involved in the live episode so I had kind of a lucky escape in some ways, as it must have been quite scary! But I'm really pleased and excited to be involved in this show - I think it's absolutely at its best at the moment."

One of the hostages gets shot. Is Bernice the unlucky one who takes the bullet?
    "If Bernice got shot, I think people would be quite pleased! She's a bit of a pain and it would shut her up a bit. But we don't always get what we want in life, do we? So we'll just have to wait and see!"
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

Thread Information