Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: St. Ella to Quit Corrie

It's not her accent that is my problem. They could have made her a Southener for all I care. It's the ridiculous prominence she has in every storyline coupled with the daft premise that she was forced upon us by being Leeannes long lost and never before mentioned birth mother who apparently had known all about her for years and waited until Steve just happened to be looking for a manager for T'rovers. How many times has the rovers changed hands in Leeannes lifetime. Unfortunately Michelle Collins is not up to the part which is a major role and sadly well beyond her limited ability
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

I agree mostly with what alan says above. The only thing I'm not so sure about is that Michelle Collins couldn't handle a major role. I used to really like her as Cindy and think if she had a decent role she could handle it ok. But the character she has been given to play and the storylines and dialogue she has been involved in have given her absolutely no chance for us to judge one way or the other. That's my two pennorth anyway.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parkerman For This Useful Post:

alan45 (19-05-2012), tammyy2j (22-05-2012)

Thats my point. As a character she was growing on me, the accent was not really noticable any more then there was talk of bringing in her mother which i thought was great, she had some good scenes with Leanne and then since then shes been in EVERY story! and on screen ALL the time! if she had chance to just focus on her own storylines then i think she would be a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    Thats my point. As a character she was growing on me, the accent was not really noticable any more then there was talk of bringing in her mother which i thought was great, she had some good scenes with Leanne and then since then shes been in EVERY story! and on screen ALL the time! if she had chance to just focus on her own storylines then i think she would be a lot better.
    I must be missing something, and being a Northerner myself. I've heard far worse fake accents than hers to be quite honest.

She needs a decent story line of her own, not being dumped in everyone elses.

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    I agree mostly with what alan says above. The only thing I'm not so sure about is that Michelle Collins couldn't handle a major role. I used to really like her as Cindy and think if she had a decent role she could handle it ok. But the character she has been given to play and the storylines and dialogue she has been involved in have given her absolutely no chance for us to judge one way or the other. That's my two pennorth anyway.
    Yes Michelle can act and besides EE has been very good in Sunburn and Rock Rivals

I think if Ella had been introduced on her own without Karl and Eva and they built up slowly the storyline with her as Leanne's real mother with the reveal not done so fast it would have been better imo

The damage has been done to the St. Ella character now. IMHO there is no way back. The producers made a pigs ear of the character. Michelle Collins may have been good in EE but she was not the correct person to take over the Rovers. The sooner they get shot of her and Karl along with Eva Emptyhead the better. It was an experiment which backfired on everyone concerned.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

parkerman (22-05-2012)

But if Karl goes they'll be no-one to touch Sunita's bum....

Quote Originally Posted by parkerman View Post
    But if Karl goes they'll be no-one to touch Sunita's bum....
    There's always Sawfie webster

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

flappinfanny (23-05-2012)

alan45, and anyone else interested (if you haven't already seen it), there's a great "spoof" thread about Stella on another forum:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showt...1670072&page=2

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to contradiction For This Useful Post:

alan45 (04-06-2012), parkerman (04-06-2012)

Michelle Collins has said that she almost quit Coronation Street after being widely criticised for her Northern accent in the soap.

Collins, who joined the Weatherfield serial as feisty Rovers landlady Stella Price in June 2011, drew negative comments from viewers after her debut for not apparently sounding Mancunian enough in her role.

It was reported at the time that Coronation Street cast and crew were angry over Collins's appointment as a result, suggesting that the soap's credibility would be damaged, although Antony Cotton (Sean Tully) later took to Twitter to deny the rumours.

Talking to The Sun, Collins has now revealed that she considered resigning from Corrie after the backlash from press and the public, saying: "Having been a jobbing actor for so long, I'd forgotten the attention you get when you're in a soap. It was a real shock when the press criticised my accent, because I'd 'done Northern' before and never been criticised for it.

"I did get to the point where I said to people high up, 'Should I just resign? I've had enough. I can't do this'. But they said no, absolutely not. They told me to fight it and get through it. So I did."

However, the 50-year-old said that she still cannot bear to see herself in Coronation Street, adding: "The enormity of the criticism made me too scared to watch Corrie on the telly. I still can't."

Collins had said earlier this year that she wants to stay on the soap "for a long time", and that Corrie fans now like her accent.

Thread Information