Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hannah Matty Barton

returning as a trans dude, new son for moira

Omg this has got to be the most ridiculous story ever in a soap, I don't even know what to day it's stupid

Matty Barton (Ash Palmisciano)

Emmerdale bosses have announced that a former character is making a return to the soap, having transitioned during his years away from the village.

Ash Palmisciano has been cast in the role of Matty Barton, who was previously known as Hannah Barton. Ash has already started filming with the ITV show, with his first episode airing later this month.

Matty's arrival is full of drama from the beginning, as Cain Dingle goes on the attack when he thinks that Butler's Farm has been broken into.

Mistaking Matty for an intruder, Cain punches him and knocks him out cold. However, when Moira arrives, she instantly recognises Matty.

Matty Barton and Moira Dingle in Emmerdale
    © ITV

Emmerdale's producer Kate Brooks commented: "The character of Matty certainly knows how to make an impact: cheeky, effervescent, quick-witted and headstrong, it's not long before he's charmed his way into the affections of all those who meet him.

"His tale of a man trying to shake off his past and find acceptance in the present is full of emotion, humour and ultimately hope as he settles back into rural village life, turning Moira's world upside down in the process.

"We are absolutely thrilled to have Ash on board to play this role. A skilful actor of great talent, he exudes charisma and there's an unflinching honesty to his performance that adds real depth to this complex character.

"Ash has already proven himself to be a brilliant addition to the cast and we look forward to charting his journey as he reconnects with old friends and forges new relationships along the way."

New arrival Ash is Emmerdale's first regular trans cast member and has previously appeared in Boy Meets Girl and Mum.

Speaking about the role, Ash commented: "I'm very excited to be joining the very welcoming Emmerdale family. From nervous auditions to now working alongside the team daily has been truly amazing.

"Matty's a groundbreaking character to play and I can't wait to see what's ahead for him."

Previously played by Grace Cassidy between 2009 and 2012, Matty left the village for a fresh start in London.

Digital Spy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (07-06-2018)

Why is this character being described to us? Isn't it just a girl Hannah? This is really an odd direction to go in - I guess that's the problem of Soap Storytelling, characters are flexible and can do or be anything, but that can lead to very odd decisions that don't seem too logical or that foreshadowed.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrfreeman For This Useful Post:

Ruffed_lemur (07-06-2018), tammyy2j (07-06-2018)

First saw this in the paper today and can't get my head round it. Why not just introduce a completely new character as Trans,but no, instead this as it's so that it involves Moira and Cain. Well I get why they're doing it, but really seems a bit weird.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hward For This Useful Post:

lizann (07-06-2018), Perdita (07-06-2018), Ruffed_lemur (07-06-2018), tammyy2j (07-06-2018)

I don't get it, just shows how writer's are running out of ideas for some characters and anything interesting in emmerdale now days is always given to Aaron,Liv, Debbie,charity the story will be laughed at and not in a good way

did moira visit her recently so would know she is living as a he, also why another thread for hannah / matty?

Quote Originally Posted by hward View Post
    First saw this in the paper today and can't get my head round it. Why not just introduce a completely new character as Trans,but no, instead this as it's so that it involves Moira and Cain. Well I get why they're doing it, but really seems a bit weird.
    The new character could still be connected to Moira, give her a niece or nephew instead of making Hannah Matty

I hope the character is used better than Kyle was in Eastenders

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

hward (08-06-2018)

im enjoying hanmatty, good character

Thread Information