Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sue Johnston - Gloria Price

Sue Johnston has praised the "extraordinary" profile of Coronation Street.

The veteran actress revealed that fans now refer to her as Weatherfield's Gloria Price rather than her well-known Brookside alter ego Sheila.

"The profile of the Street is far bigger than anything I have ever experienced," she told the Daily Record. "It's extraordinary.

"When I go to Liverpool to watch the football, I have always been Sheila Grant from Brookside but now it's Gloria!"

Johnston continued modestly: "But I just feel very fortunate to still be employed. And I feel blessed that I have managed to earn a good living out of doing what I love to do.

"Hopefully my brain will stay with me and I would like to work as long as I can. I won't retire unless I have to and that will be when I can't learn lines anymore or I can't speak or walk.

"None of us know what delights are in store for us when we are old but you have to get on with it – until you can't get on with it anymore."

Battleaxe Gloria returns to Weatherfield with a rich man called Eric (Timothy West) next Monday.

Her new lover will, however, die suddenly, leaving Gloria fighting with his ex Dorris over the will.

Cool Sue long to Corrie Corrie

Coronation Street star Sue Johnston is to leave the ITV soap, it has been revealed.

The 69-year-old, who has played Gloria Price on the Weatherfield drama since September, will bow out next spring to pursue other acting roles, reports The Sun.

However, producers are expected to leave the door open for a return.

A Coronation Street spokesperson said: "Sue will be on screen until early spring 2014 when Gloria will leave Weatherfield for the time being."

An insider added: "Bosses hoped to keep her for longer, but understand she wants to do other things. But they have no intention of killing Gloria off."

Johnston previously said that the long-running soap was "bigger than anything [she] has ever experienced".
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (20-06-2013)

I wish it was St. Ella and her pneumatically enhanced daughter who were leaving. At least Sue Johnston can act
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (21-06-2013), lizann (20-06-2013), tammyy2j (20-06-2013)

she was sort of growing on me as gloria oh well hopefully eva and stella are next to follow soon

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizann For This Useful Post:

alan45 (20-06-2013), tammyy2j (20-06-2013)

The shock and shame over killer Karl drives her out of Weatherfield

Former Coronation Street star Sue Johnston has revealed that she wouldn't rule out a future return to the show.

The actress played Gloria Price on the ITV soap from September 2012 to February this year, when her outspoken character left the cobbles to go travelling.

When Gloria's daughter Stella has also since left Weatherfield, her granddaughters Eva and Leanne both remain on the street - providing her with a possible reason to come back in the future.

Speaking on ITV's Lorraine this morning (April 30), Johnston admitted that she misses working on the show.

She explained: "I miss particularly the people - the crew and the cast. I had so much fun and met so many lovely people. It's a lovely, lovely job."

Asked whether Gloria could return, Johnston replied: "Yes. She flits. My grandchildren are still there. She flits around and she's not stable!"

The 70-year-old said that she enjoyed portraying Gloria as "people who are tricky are always much more interesting to play".

On the recognition she got for the part, Johnston commented: "I was quite recognised when I go out before I went into Coronation Street, but the power of the Street is unbelievable and it took me aback that the recognition stakes went higher as people love to see you.

"People love Coronation Street and therefore if you're in it, you become part of them."

Johnston also confirmed that she has a new project on the way but has been sworn to secrecy over the details.

I would rather she did not come back .. because Stella would probably be back too then and no need for that

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (01-05-2014)

She'll always be Sheila Grant from Brookside. She was brilliant in that

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

She is good in all her roles. Very believable.

Thread Information