Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheila Canning

Exclamation Sheila Canning

Neighbours bosses have announced the casting of Prisoner star Colette Mann as Kyle Canning's grandmother.

The actress is to play the role of Sheila Canning, who arrives on Ramsay Street later this year to pay Kyle a surprise visit.

Billed as "much-loved and very opinionated", Sheila is a new regular character for the soap and sparks will fly as she is introduced to Kyle's girlfriend Jade (Gemma Pranita).

In a statement, Mann said that - as a mother of two grown-up sons - she is looking forward to working with younger co-star Christopher Milligan, who plays Kyle.

"Chris is a lovely boy, however like my sons, he'll wonder what has hit him after working with me for a few weeks," she joked.

Mann previously appeared on Neighbours in 1995, taking over the role of Cheryl Stark for eight weeks while lead actress Caroline Gillmer was unwell.

Her most famous role to date has been portraying Doreen Anderson on Prisoner, known as Prisoner: Cell Block H in the UK.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (07-02-2012)

Sheila and Kyle
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

annemarie54 (14-04-2013), Dazzle (07-02-2012), kmmh58 (12-02-2012)

Neighbours star Stefan Dennis has teamed up with the show's new recruit Colette Mann to revisit his first ever screen kiss in a humorous photoshoot.

The actor, best known as Ramsay Street's Paul Robinson, shot a kissing scene with Mann over 30 years ago as they appeared on cult series Prisoner together.

At the time, Dennis was playing a teenage guest character - while Mann was portraying the regular role of Doreen Anderson.

Reflecting on the experience, Dennis commented: "I was so nervous, just hopeless. I was surrounded by this bevy of major actresses, really big stars, and here I was in my first significant ongoing role."

Meanwhile, Mann revealed that Dennis used to bounce around the set, explaining: "He couldn't stand still so the director would tell me to follow him around and when he slows down, move in on him for a two shot. I'd have to almost pounce on him - it was quite primal, actually!"

A Neighbours statement said: "It's too early to say if their Neighbours characters will be locking lips in upcoming storylines, however - from the shots posted today - the two seasoned pros are very happy to play up for the cameras if required."

As announced earlier this month, Mann has joined Neighbours to play Kyle Canning's outspoken grandmother Sheila.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (21-02-2012)

Neighbours' new recruit Colette Mann has revealed that her character Sheila Canning will interfere in her grandson Kyle's love life.

Sheila arrives on Australian screens next week as she pays Kyle (Christopher Milligan) a surprise visit, but she is far from impressed by his girlfriend Jade (Gemma Pranita).

Viewers will initially see Sheila meet Kate Ramsay (Ashleigh Brewer) and assume that she is Jade. When she is finally introduced to the real Jade, Sheila can't help but feel that Kate would be a better option for Kyle.

Mann told TV Week: "She's sure Jade is wrong for the boy - and is quite open about it!"

The actress continued: "She arrives like a galleon in full sail. It's quite the tussle, and Chris and Gemma do some great scenes together. I do love injecting some wicked humour into the street."

Neighbours bosses announced Mann's casting in February, confirming that Sheila will be a new regular character for the soap.

Neighbours newcomer Sheila Canning makes her debut on UK screens next week as she pays a surprise visit to grandson Kyle.

Sheila receives a warm welcome from Kyle (Christopher Milligan) as she arrives on Ramsay Street, and soon enjoys meeting some of the locals as the handyman takes her on a tour of Erinsborough.

When Sheila bumps into Kate Ramsay, she wrongly assumes that she is speaking to Kyle's girlfriend Jade and is thrilled - impressed by Kate's good manners and cheerful demeanour.

It's unwelcome news for Sheila when she hears that Kate is just a friend of Kyle's, and when she is finally introduced to Jade at Number 26 later in the day, she is far from pleased!

Jade (Gemma Pranita) thinks that she has managed to make a good impression on Sheila, but in private, Sheila tells Kyle that he's with the wrong girl. How will Kyle react, and can Jade win Sheila over?

Neighbours bosses announced the casting of former Prisoner star Colette Mann as Sheila earlier this year.

Sheila is a new regular character for the soap, and Mann has said that she is enjoying injecting some "wicked humour" into the street.

Neighbours airs Sheila's first scenes on Thursday, May 31 at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5.

Neighbours newcomer Colette Mann is preparing for a busy year on screen as she settles into her regular role as Sheila Canning.

Sheila returned to UK screens this week following a short break and will become a permanent fixture in Erinsborough as she lands a new job at Charlie's in upcoming episodes.

Show bosses today (January 31) released a picture showing Mann looking over her lines during an early morning make-up call this week.

© Channel 5

Speaking of her early start, Mann joked: "It comes with the territory - we all have to do it and the viewers are just lucky they see me like this and not how I look when I trudge in.

"I just wish the wonderful make-up team would set up in my bathroom at home permanently so I could just wake up and be transformed!"

Neighbours chiefs are promising "big stories" for Sheila as she becomes an important part of her grandson Kyle's life and also finds herself rowing with Paul Robinson.

Mann added: "Fighting with Paul Robinson is part of the initiation process of being on Neighbours - I really am one of the family now!"

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5 in the UK, and weekdays at 6.30pm on Eleven in Australia.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (31-01-2013)

Collette Mann - Sheila Canning Interview

There have been plenty of new additions to Neighbours in the past 12 months, but Sheila Canning is proving to be one of the standouts and is now a regular character on Ramsay Street.

Since arriving back on UK screens in January following time away, outspoken Sheila has landed a new job at Charlie's and has also been keeping an eye on her grandson Kyle's complicated love life!

Colette Mann, who plays Sheila, recently chatted to Digital Spy about life on Neighbours and what's coming up for her character.

You've been with Neighbours for a while, but now Sheila is a permanent fixture on the Street. How are you finding your time on the show as a regular character?
    "There is a familiarity now with the character which makes things feel a lot more natural. I'm really enjoying it. The cast and crew are great and I love working!"

Most fans seem to agree that Sheila has been a fantastic addition to the cast!
    "That's so nice to hear. Look, she's a tough old bird, but she definitely has some endearing characteristics. It's just sometimes a little harder to find those - but she is a first-class meddler!"

Sheila is certainly a very outspoken character! Do you share any similarities with her in real life?
    "That, sadly, is probably the only quality I share with Sheila. We both do speak our minds when it's required. However, I think - or hope - I choose my moments better than she does. But I love it when she tells Paul what she thinks."

How involved have you been in the creation of Sheila? Are you given room to put your own stamp on the character?
    "When you're playing a regular character, you certainly get to know them better than anyone - so you almost subconsciously add layers, it just happens. The producers have allowed me great leeway with her lines - and now all the directors have just given in to me, which is lovely of them."

Last year you took some time away from Neighbours to appear in a play. Are you hoping to continue juggling Neighbours with other projects?
    "The play had been in the pipeline before I took on the role of Sheila and at the time, she was a guest character. Now she is a regular, taking those sort of sabbaticals is more difficult, but I don't mind as I'm loving what I'm doing."

What is your co-star Christopher Milligan, who plays Kyle, like to work with?
    "He is heaven on a stick, and one of the most prepared young actors I've worked with. The relationship between us on screen and off is one of the most valued friendships I have had in my life. But I admit there is probably way too much laughing going on when we do work together!"

At the moment, Sheila is quite concerned that Georgia is trying to seduce Kyle. Do you think there's any chance that Sheila could warm to Georgia in the long run?
    "I think everyone goes through a screening process with Sheila, but what you have to remember is that family is everything to her, so her grandson's welfare will always come first. She will give anyone close to him a really hard time for a while."

There's also a real rivalry between Sheila and Lou Carpenter, but usually in soapland, there's a fine line between love and hate! Do you think there's any chance of a Sheila/Lou romance?
    "No, I think these characters work best when they are at each other's throats, and that also provides much more scope for the writers in terms of humour. Besides, Tom and I did that when I stood in for Caroline Gillmer in 1995!"

As you mentioned there, you took over from Caroline in the role of Cheryl Stark for a short time in 1995. What are your memories of that experience?
    "I was told on the Friday that I was starting on the Monday. As we were filming, the different actors in the scenes were wheeled in, and someone was on the sideline explaining who they were, what our relationship was and handed me my lines. It was like that for the first two weeks. But I think I got better eventually."

After appearing temporarily as Cheryl, did you ever imagine that you'd be back on Neighbours so many years later?
    "It's certainly not unusual to return to Ramsay Street. Just in my relatively short time on the show, we've had quite a number of former cast return for guest appearances - Nicola Charles, Kirsty Child and Melissa Bell - so I have to admit it was on my bucket list, and now I am back as my own character!"

Did that early experience on Neighbours help to prepare you for joining second time around, or is the show completely different now?
    "Well, that was a long time ago and I've done a lot since then, but part of this business is being able to adapt to new situations.

"The fundamentals of the show are the same, but it's moved with the times in terms of the way it is shot. And of course, technology has advanced and the style of acting has been refined. I would be a bit nervous if things had not changed!"

Neighbours fans were crying out for another 'grandparent' character for a long time before Sheila came along. Do you think the show has the balance right now in terms of age groups?
    "Yes, I do actually. The Kennedys, Lou and Sheila fill the matriarchal and patriarchal roles, and then you have the new parents, the Turners and, coming up, the Willises. Then there's the next tier with Toadie and Sonya, Lucas and Vanessa, then Kate, Kyle, Georgia and Chris, and then the teenagers, so I think it is very balanced."

With lots of new kids arriving on the Street, do you think we'll see Sheila become a figure who the youngsters can turn to for advice?
    "Gosh, is that a good thing? I'm sure Sheila will be very happy to offer her 'incredible wisdom' where she feels it is needed. Whether it will be useful, or indeed whether the young ones actually ask for it… well, that's another thing!"

Are there any plans for new Cannings to join the Street?
    "Well my two other grandsons have visited, so you never know, do you?"

Can you give us any extra hints on the stories you're filming at the moment?
    "Sheila is very busy sorting out Kyle's love life - it's a full-time job! However, her attention is somewhat diverted by a visitor to Erinsborough. That's all I can say for the moment, watch this space."

Given your connection with the show, how do you feel about Prisoner being remade?
    "I am thrilled to see good-quality drama being made again with strong roles for women. It is what gave me my real start in TV and I have a soft spot for the old series, but am excited to see this new one because we in this industry have all learned so much in the last 35 years - it is going to be a smash. And it's one less reality show… oooh, did I just say that out loud?"
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

12. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (18-03-2013)

Neighbours fans will be introduced to Sheila Canning's estranged daughter next year, Digital Spy can reveal.

Show bosses are bringing in the character as they want to delve into Sheila's past.

Fans in Australia have already seen subtle hints at the upcoming storyline, as a recent episode saw Sheila discuss the bad relationship she has with her youngest daughter.

Colette Mann, who plays Sheila, told Digital Spy: "We are going to know more about Sheila's family soon. We are starting to bring in her family over the next six months, so you'll hear some stories about them."

On Sheila's daughter, the actress continued: "She's going to come in very shortly. We're in the process of casting her at the moment, so she won't be on air until after Christmas.

"Hopefully there'll also be a male coming in - an older male. But both of them Sheila doesn't get along with, of course!"

UK viewers will see Sheila discuss her daughter with housemate Chris Pappas (James Mason) later this month.

While giving Chris some advice on his own personal life, Sheila admits that she once had "a really bad falling-out" with her daughter and while she wishes they could reconcile, they haven't spoken to each other since.

Sheila remains cagey on the reasons for the row, but the full story is bound to come out when the character arrives on screen next year.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (09-10-2013)

She is a great character

Interesting. And totally happy to see more of Sheila, she's a great character and has fitted into Ramsay St so well!
    Check out my Strictly Come Dancing Blog! - The 2014 blogging has begun!

Thread Information