Thread: 'Holby City' Sarah-Jane Potts hints at Eddi exit

Exclamation 'Holby City' Sarah-Jane Potts hints at Eddi exit

Holby City star Sarah-Jane Potts has confirmed that she doesn't plan to stick with the show for much longer.

The actress joined the cast of the BBC One medical drama in early 2011 and has been appearing on screen as senior staff nurse Eddi McKee since June.

However, speaking on This Morning today, Potts revealed that she never likes to stay in one role for an extended period of time.

"[It's been] a year now. I like moving on - I don't like to be in things for very long," Potts explained. "I think I feel like I'm coming to a natural end to where I want to go with her. I don't know if they [the producers] have their ideas!"

Asked whether Holby City's bosses are aware of her intentions, she joked: "This might be the first they've ever heard of it!"

Potts also admitted that she doesn't want plain sailing for Eddi and potential love interest Luc Hemingway (Joseph Millson), who made his debut in November.

"I think I like people to want something to happen," she said. "I think the journey, a lot of the time, is in the want of something. Once it happens, it can kind of dissolve. I like arguing with him - it's so much fun arguing with him every day. I don't want to have to be all lovey dovey!"

Holby City continues tonight at 8pm on BBC One.

Holby City newcomer Joseph Millson has revealed that he wants his character Luc Hemingway to maintain an air of mystery.

The actor made his debut as Luc in November and fans have already seen that the hospital's new arrival hates alcoholics for reasons unknown.

Speaking on This Morning today, Millson explained: "What's brilliant is that when I had my sit-down chat with the producers and we discussed what we should do, everything came up with question marks.

"They said, 'I know - why don't we make him a big fat question mark?' I said, 'I like that - why don't we go for Compo's matchbox?'

"Do you remember in Last of the Summer Wine, Compo used to occasionally, every few episodes, sidle up to someone and get his matchbox out, show them something and they'd scream and run away? You'd never, ever find out what was in the matchbox.

"So he's just got lots and lots of Compo's matchboxes. So I said, 'Only if we never find out some of these things'. So the alcohol thing, I wonder if we'll ever know. I certainly don't know and I don't need to know to do it - he just hates alcoholics."

Millson also discussed the spark between Luc and Eddi McKee (Sarah-Jane Potts), which will develop further in upcoming episodes.

"They're not an obvious couple," he said. "They're both dreadful socially - but in really different ways, so they are actually the right people for each other. I can't tell you what happens, because I'm not quite sure!"

Holby City continues tonight at 8pm on BBC One.

Holby City star Sarah-Jane Potts has left the show after more than a year in the role of nurse Eddi McKee.

The actress's emotional final scenes aired this evening (October 23) as Eddi left the hospital for the last time, bowing out to overcome her addiction demons.

Viewers saw former Emmerdale star Luke Tittensor reprise his role as Eddi's brother Liam for the farewell episode.

As show bosses did not reveal Eddi's departure ahead of tonight's edition, fans will have been surprised by the top-secret storyline conclusion.

Speaking of her Holby City exit, Potts exclusively told Digital Spy: "I am proud that I have been a part of this fantastic programme and I'm really thankful that I have had the opportunity to work on this show.

"I'd never say never to coming back - I absolutely love the programme and all the people at Holby."

Eddi's romantic pairing with Luc Hemingway (Joseph Millson) proved particularly popular with viewers, resulting in a vocal fanbase of 'Team Leddi' supporters.

Holby City's consultant series producer Justin Young added: "We were very sad to say goodbye to Sarah-Jane, but we always agreed that Eddi would only be a part of the Holby team for a limited time.

"In just a year, Sarah-Jane created a fantastic character, and - along with Luc - became half of one of the most talked about couples in Holby's history.

"Sarah-Jane was great to work with and we miss her. It's the end of Luc and Eddi's story for now, but who knows what the future might hold?"

Since filming her final Holby City episode, Potts has moved to the USA with her partner and son.

Thread Information