Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Zak Dingle

well lets hope Zak remains sectionned for sometime - offscreen!!!

Emmerdale star Steve Halliwell has said that his character Zak Dingle will struggle to cope if his teenage daughter Belle goes off the rails.

Zak, who suffered a mental breakdown last year, has grown concerned for Belle (Eden Taylor-Draper) in recent episodes as she seems to be pushing the boundaries with a new rebellious attitude.

Last night's (January 29) episode saw the Dingles left horrified after Belle was caught in a compromising position with boyfriend Luke.

Backing Zak's concerns, Halliwell told This Morning today (January 30): "From my own family life, you wonder if you might be going over the top - they've got to find their way in life, they've got to make mistakes. But some mistakes can last a lifetime if you're not careful with young girls, can't they? He's deeply worried about it.

"I think since his breakdown, he's realised he's made a lot of mistakes with his sons, so he's all the more concerned to get it right with his baby daughter. If he gets it wrong with her, then it might be the end of him."

The actor confirmed that Zak tries to take a more relaxed approach to the situation in upcoming episodes.

He said: "Episodes come up where he tries to be a bit more trendy, but it fails miserably. He tries to be young and use jargon. It's a definite mistake and [Belle] lets him know straight away!"

Halliwell also expressed his delight over Emmerdale winning a Mind Media Award for its portrayal of Zak's breakdown storyline last year.

He said: "Particularly because the judges were not the usual 'fans' - it was award-winning journalists, award-winning broadcasters - people from a whole range of the media [who chose the winner].

"I know EastEnders and the Welsh programme [Pobol y Cwm] had done mental health stories, and Emmerdale won it. We're used to coming runners-up at Emmerdale, so it was great to win it!"

Emmerdale continues tonight (January 30) at 7pm on ITV.

Zak Dingle takes his teenage daughter Belle to the police station next week after she tells him about her involvement in the death of Gemma Andrews.

Zak decides to respect Belle's wishes after she admits that she is plagued with guilt over what happened and wants to do the right thing.

While Zak believes that the authorities will be lenient with Belle (Eden Taylor-Draper), he is later left horrified as they charge her with murder.

Here, Steve Halliwell - who plays Zak - reveals the impact of his character's big decision.

How much does Zak suspect at the moment?
    "Zak suspects that Lisa and Belle are keeping something from him, but he's not sure what it is. He knows there's something going on and that it involves Cain too.

"I don't think Zak suspects that there's been this dreadful accident with Gemma. He just thinks that he's trying to help Belle get over the stress of what's happened, but he doesn't realise there is more involved."

Next week, Zak causes a problem by inviting Gemma's father Dom over for tea, doesn't he?
    "Yes. Zak can see that Dom is a grieving father. Having lost two sons himself, Zak thinks that he can be a shoulder for Dom to cry on and help him to realise that there is a way through this. He thinks he can help Dom in that way.

"Lisa isn't very happy at Zak getting involved, because she doesn't want Belle to have to see Dom. Zak thinks that it's just because Dom's presence is reminding Belle of Gemma. That's the reason that Zak thinks Lisa doesn't want Dom around."

Then Lisa quits her job unexpectedly as she wants to be around for Belle. How does Zak react?
    "It concerns him money-wise! He doesn't really say that, but it would worry him because him and Lisa have been living reasonably well now that they've both been working for a while. Zak is also not sure that mollycoddling Belle all the time is going to be any benefit."

Can you tell us about the moment that Belle confesses to Zak?
    "In the end, Belle confesses that she pushed Gemma and that was how she hit her head, leading to her death. Belle admits that she feels terrible guilt about this. Zak can relate to this and eventually he has to tell her that he nearly killed Cain. Up until this point, Belle hadn't known that it was Zak who did that. Zak reveals that information to show that he can empathise with Belle and her situation.

"That was the cause of Zak's breakdown, so he does understand that Belle needs some help with her sense of guilt."

How does Zak feel about the fact that Lisa and Belle have kept this from him?
    "He's angry, but Belle tells him that they were afraid that he might have a breakdown again, with the stress and shock of it all. Zak feels that he's a lot better now and they shouldn't have done that. He feels that he can deal with things a lot better than when he was ill."

Why does Zak agree to go to the police station with Belle? Does he agree that telling the police is the best way forward?
    "Not in the first instance. Zak initially says, 'I'm not taking a daughter of mine to the police'. But as Zak hears more and learns what a state Belle is in, he has to tell her how difficult it was for him to get over what he'd done. As Belle points out, Zak got better because he was able to speak to Cain afterwards and could try to make it up to him, but she can't do that with Gemma.

"So then Zak eventually agrees that perhaps the only way for Belle to overcome her terrible guilt is to tell the police what happened. He doesn't think for one minute that she'll be charged with anything except death by misadventure."

Does Zak regret his actions afterwards?
    "Zak does it to try to help Belle. He says afterwards, 'I didn't make any decisions - I listened to her and what she wanted. I was there supporting her'. That is Zak's argument throughout when he's arguing with Lisa over the whole thing."

Lisa warns that she'll never forgive Zak if Belle goes to prison…
    "Several times, yeah!"

So could this cause big problems for their marriage?
    "I think it could - for a time certainly. Not for one minute did Zak think that Belle would be charged with murder, but they find some stuff on her laptop saying, 'I hate you, I wish you were dead'. They put all of this together to build a case for murder."

After his previous troubles, will Zak be able to cope with this situation?
    "I don't know what they intend in future episodes, but at the time of these episodes, Zak is dealing with it reasonably well and he's just trying to be positive and supportive. He's been given stress techniques to help him in the past. Zak does start losing the plot a bit with the police, due to his anger and frustration - but not to the point where he's having a breakdown."

Could Zak cope if Belle did go to prison?
    "That remains to be seen! It'd certainly be difficult. She's the shining light in their family. Belle was going to be the one who would break the mould in the Dingles, so it will be a massive shock and blow to both him and Lisa."

How has it been working with Eden on this storyline?
    "Actors always say this, but it has been fantastic because she is so clever. She raises my game because she gets so involved and it brings it out of me. We got an applause from the crew one day - put it that way, it is quite rare.

"It was a really emotional scene and anyone who has got a father and daughter will understand the pain they are going through and the love they have for each other, but how can he help her? He can't go to prison for her."

How did you feel about getting that applause from the crew?
    "It's really rare because they have seen it all before. One particular cameraman has been in the business for God knows how long. He has seen all the greats, and I can't tell you how much I appreciated that.

"There's no vested interest in them doing that. They're not going to get a better job from flattering us - so it is genuine, that's what is so good about it. In this business you never quite know if people are genuine that often, so it was lovely.

"Some child actors are cute and then as they get older their cuteness disappears and you see that they are not a very good actor, but I think Eden is going to go on to be a really, really clever actress, because she does want to do it again as an adult now.

She didn't at one time, but you can see the signs that she will really be great.

"She has the talent now, but you can see that as she gets older and takes on more adult parts, she will be able to deal with it, whereas some child actors can't quite deal with it when they get older."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (18-03-2014)

Last edited by tammyy2j; 18-03-2014 at 01:10.

Emmerdale star Steve Halliwell reflected on 20 years in the role of Zak Dingle as he gave a live television interview today (October 23).

The actor has been on screen as Zak since October 1994 and marked his milestone with an appearance on ITV's Good Morning Britain.

Steve Halliwell on Good Morning Britain
    © ITV / Rex Features / Ken McKay
    Steve Halliwell on Good Morning Britain

Recalling his early days on Emmerdale, Halliwell admitted that the initial plan was for him to appear in just two episodes.

He explained: "That was the original contract - to have a fight with an existing character Ned Glover and to lose the fight. I was a foil for his character but I must have done something right, whatever it was, because they kept bringing me back!

"I've never known, to be honest, how it happened. They'd bring people in and try them out for a while, and then see if it worked and invite them back."

The 60-year-old revealed that his favourite storyline was one of Zak's most recent plots, which saw the popular character suffer a mental breakdown as he struggled with guilt after violently attacking his son Cain.

"I've had mental health problems myself and [it was] an opportunity to depict that," he commented. "Then we won an award from the Mind organisation, which was presented by Stephen Fry. He handed over my prize and said we'd done a good job at depicting mental health issues. I was proud of that moment."

Steve Halliwell with Susanna Reid and John Stapleton on Good Morning Britain
    © ITV / Rex Features / Ken McKay
    Steve Halliwell with Susanna Reid & John Stapleton

Halliwell recently released an autobiography titled If the Cap Fits: My Rocky Road to Emmerdale, revealing how he made it as an actor after previously having tougher times sleeping rough on the streets.

In his interview today, the actor admitted that he was a "romantic dreamer type kid" and initially wanted to be a writer.

He said: "I read Jack Kerouac's On The Road. My life was pretty dull and unsuccessful in everything I was doing, so I thought maybe that was the life for me - maybe I'd be a writer like Kerouac and go on the road.

"Well, it was pretty rough! It wasn't as romantic as I had imagined. I ended up being locked up. In those days - I'm sure they couldn't do it now because there's so many homeless people - but it was considered against the law to sleep rough. I was charged with wandering abroad under the Vagrancy Act."

Asked how he later turned his fortunes around, he laughed: "It is quite a long story! In the library in Torquay where I was living at the time, I saw The Stage and TV weekly for the first time in my life. I opened it up and there was this course - a two-year evenings and weekends acting course.

"It was something I'd been toying with: 'How do people become actors?' You watch the movies and think, 'How did he get up on screen? Who are they, these people?' Anyway, once I realised that you had to study to be an actor, I was on the way then."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (23-10-2014)

Emmerdale fans are in for a shock next week when Zak Dingle shows signs of a romantic interest in Joanie Wright.

The farmer is happily married to Lisa Dingle, but that doesn't stop him from getting jealous when Joanie responds to attention from another man.

As Zak (Steve Halliwell) continues to enjoy Joanie's company at The Woolpack next week, he is dismayed when local charmer Rodney Blackstock interrupts and she accepts a drink from him.

These first look pictures show Zak seem disappointed to be left out in the cold as the pair grow closer. Does this mean that his feelings for Joanie are now straying out of the friendship zone?

Joanie has enjoyed a strong connection to the Dingles ever since her return to the village in the summer.

Lisa and Zak welcomed Joanie into their home as she had nowhere else to go, but only time will tell whether Lisa could live to regret her generosity and whether there's trouble in store for one of the soap world's best-loved couples.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s1...-joanie-wright

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (28-10-2015), maidmarian (27-10-2015)

I dont remember who now -but some poster(s)
    suspected this -a while ago.
    I think I replied to point out that Zac has
    previous form for affair(s) since marrying
    Lisa.
    Dont think he would dare when married to
    Nellie. Wonder what shes doing nowadays??

I will hate this storyline

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

maidmarian (27-10-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Perdita View Post
    I will hate this storyline
    yes- it will both embarrassingly unbelievable
    ( like last time).and sad ( to happen in.a
    stable & believable marriage.)
    They either have a rota or names out of
    hat. OR one of the actors want a break/ to.leave.?

Quote Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
    yes- it will both embarrassingly unbelievable
    ( like last time).and sad ( to happen in.a
    stable & believable marriage.)
    They either have a rota or names out of
    hat. OR one of the actors want a break/ to.leave.?
    Think it is the scriptwriters that can´t think of anything else but make characters cheat on their partners ... if one of the actors wanted a break, they go off to Nana Dingle, no need to make cheats out of them

Thread Information