Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joel Dexter

Joel Dexter

Hollyoaks has announced the casting of Scottish actor Andrew Still.

In his first major TV role, Still will play "mysterious newcomer" Joel, who arrives in the village later this month, turning the life of an unsuspecting resident upside down forever.

Hired as Chez Chez's new dubstep DJ, Joel's arrival coincides with the disappearance of Brendan (Emmett Scanlan), following his release from prison.

The newcomer has also been tipped to catch the eye of sixth-former Maddie (Scarlett Bowman). However, with only one person on his mind, the student could struggle to win Joel's affections.

Still won the role after Lime Pictures sent a casting opportunity to the Scottish Youth Theatre, of which he was a member. Despite not having an agent, he went on to win the role after impressing the Hollyoaks' casting team.

Earlier this week, the soap announced a dramatic new storyline which will see fresher Rob Edwards's life left hanging in the balance, after he is run over by Ethan Scott.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hollyoaks newcomer Andrew Still has admitted that he had to keep his soap role a secret from his loved ones for two months.

Show bosses recently announced that Still had been cast as "mysterious" Joel, who arrives in the village next week and soon turns the life of one local resident upside down.

Still was recruited from the Scottish Youth Theatre and had to keep quiet about his new project despite moving from Scotland to Liverpool to film his scenes.

Speaking of the initial confidentiality involved, Still told PA: "I had to keep it a secret from everyone, who were wondering what was going on. But all my friends and family have told me it's fantastic.

"I was living in Liverpool so I had to adjust to life in a new city. I had never been away from home before."

Praising his fellow cast members, he added: "It's been fantastic. Everyone's been really nice to me."

Hollyoaks viewers will see Joel for the first time in next Tuesday's episode on Channel 4.

I think Brendan hires him to get dirt on Warren

Hollyoaks newcomer Andrew Still has described his character as a "mysterious bad boy".

The Scottish actor, who joined the Channel 4 soap as Joel earlier this month, admitted that he would like a long stint on the show to develop the character.

"I'm hoping that he sticks around. I would love Joel to be one of the staple characters," he said, according to PA. "Joel is a great character - he is a mysterious bad boy and he is incredibly fun to play. He comes into the show, not really having any direction and is looking for his father.

"He is searching for something he doesn't have as he doesn't have much going for him. He finds Warren and believes that Warren is his dad. Warren is paranoid that Brendan sent Joel in to play with his mind.

"He's a troublemaker but he has a wee vulnerability because of what has happened in the past."

Still, who had to keep his Hollyoaks role a secret for two months, makes his debut on November 22.

'Hollyoaks' Andrew Still talks Joel role, Warren exit drama: DS Interview

Hollyoaks newcomer Joel Dexter has some big scenes on the way this week in the build-up to his father Warren's dramatic departure from the soap.

Since arriving in the village a month ago, Joel has been gradually growing closer to Warren (Jamie Lomas) - but he has also seen a side to the nightclub owner that he doesn't like.

As Warren turns nasty with girlfriend Mitzeee (Rachel Shenton) this week and takes her to Louise's grave, it's a race against time for Brendan Brady (Emmett Scanlan) to save her before history repeats itself. But whose side will Joel be on?

Here, 18-year-old Andrew Still - who plays Joel - chats to Digital Spy about the storyline and joining Hollyoaks.

You've been filming at Hollyoaks for about three months now. How's it all going?
    "It's been fantastic. I've been working with some great people like Jamie Lomas, Emmett Scanlan and Rachel Shenton, and they've really taught me a lot. At first it's just a case of getting into the swing of things, and I definitely feel like I've done that now.

"Jamie, Emmett and Rachel have all been fantastic and you really couldn't ask for better co-workers. I've learned so much from all three of them. They each have very different styles, so you can pick up tips from all of them. I've especially liked the scenes where I've been working with all three of them - it's a nice melting pot, and it gives me a lot of inspiration to see what they're doing."

How long have you been acting for?
    "I've been acting since I was about 11, in school plays and things like that. Then when I was 15, I started working with the Scottish Youth Theatre, so I've been doing a lot of plays with them. I've always wanted to pursue acting but I felt it was unrealistic, so I decided to do Art instead.

"I went to Art school but then I also did a play last summer, and after that I realised that acting was definitely what I wanted to do. I got this job at Hollyoaks not long afterwards, so I've been very fortunate with how things fell."

How did you first hear about the role of Joel?
    "I received an email from one of the directors at the Scottish Youth Theatre, which had details of an open casting call for this job. I decided to go for it, and here we are! I've moved from Glasgow to Liverpool for the part, but I totally feel settled now and I love Liverpool. I live with a bunch of the other Hollyoaks guys in a big student house."

What kind of a reaction have you had from Hollyoaks fans so far?
    "Everyone has been really supportive. I personally don't think that I hit my stride until my third week, when we had the scene with myself, Jamie and Emmett at the pub. Watching the scenes back, that's when I started really liking the stuff that was coming out. With the stuff that came before, I was looking back and thinking that I could maybe have done a bit better.

"I think you could see that through the comments, too - most of them were nice but there were one or two who were critical at first. But I think you get that all the time with new characters - people are wary of change, but you need it to keep things vibrant on the show."

Joel has been quite a mysterious character so far. How would you describe him?
    "Well, there's been a lot of people calling Joel a bad boy and I think he does have that side to him, but I think mostly he's a guy with a lot of issues. He's also searching for something because he doesn't really have a focus in his life - he's quite floaty as a character and when we first saw him, he didn't even have anywhere to stay.

"At first, finding his dad was the main thing for Joel and now that he's found him, he's trying to connect with him and find that connection that he doesn't really have anywhere else. He's got a tough outer shell, but inside he's quite vulnerable."

In one of your first scenes, Joel was quite mean to Maddie. Does he have a nasty side or was that just a one-off?
    "I don't think it was a one-off because it does happen with Joel - he has a quick temper in the same way that Warren does. But I think Joel also has a conscience. At the time, he was ranting and raving, but the next day he was apologising straight away. Having that guilt and having that conscience is what makes Joel different to Warren."

Joel has a lot of screen time this week in the build-up to Warren's big exit. How did you feel about getting such a big storyline straight away?
    "I thought it was fantastic! I think that's what you want when you join a show - you want to be thrown in at the deep end, because then you have to think on your feet and learn as quickly as possible. I think that's when it challenges you the most, and that's what actors want from a role. I couldn't have asked for a better entrance."

Would you say that Joel has built up a bond with Warren now?
    "I think when they were in Paris they did build up a connection. Now that they're back, you'll see that they're a lot closer. It's interesting, as Warren started out not even wanting Joel to come on the trip, because he wanted it to be a romantic holiday for him and Mitzeee. But over those days in Paris, a connection was made between Warren and Joel - while Warren and Mitzeee are drifting further apart."

What does Joel make of Brendan after the scenes they've had together?
    "Well, when Joel first came into the village, he wasn't getting the answers from Warren that he was hoping for - in fact, he wasn't getting any answers at all! So he turned to Brendan as a way to find out more about his dad. But as Joel and Warren have made a bit more of a connection, Brendan has kind of fallen by the wayside. Joel's very wary of Brendan now - especially after what his dad's told him, and what he's seen for himself."

How does Joel feel after he sees Warren try to get violent with Mitzeee?
    "Well, as we've seen on the show so far, Joel hates any kind of violence towards women after what happened with his stepdad, but the problem is that Warren has a violent nature. Joel feels like it's his responsibility to stop Warren's violent tendencies from coming out towards Mitzeee.

"It doesn't sit well with Joel and it's hard for him. He likes having a connection with his dad, but there are aspects of Warren's personality that he hoped he wouldn't find - especially as it mirrors his family life back home. There'll be a big conflict for Joel as to whether he stands by his dad or stands by his principles."

What can you tell us about what Joel does after Warren takes Mitzeee to Louise's grave?
    "Brendan is hoping to track the two of them down before it's too late, as he thinks that Warren could kill Mitzeee. Joel is there in the car with him. But then Joel pulls a gun on Brendan to deal with him, following the instructions of his dad. I can't say any more than that so you'll have to tune in and see what happens next."

Do you think Joel's connection with Theresa could be explored more?
    "Yes, I do think that's something that could possibly be explored more in the future. We'll just have to see, because obviously Theresa is with Will at the moment. But I definitely think there's something left over between Theresa and Joel, and it's something that could possibly be explored more."

It's no secret that you're still filming with Hollyoaks, so what do you think Joel's role in the village will be in the long-term?
    "At the moment I can't say too much, but what I will say is that Joel is a great part to play and he definitely has a place in the village. But you'll just have to wait and see what that could be!"

Finally, how do you feel about Joel's new nickname Scottish Foxy - as given to him by Brendan?
    "I thought that was brilliant! When we were filming that scene, it was hilarious as every time we did it, Emmett would change it. So we had Scottish Foxy, James Dean Foxy, Fonzie, Little Foxy - he changed it every time to try and make us laugh! That was a really fun scene to do."

So Scottish Foxy comes back

'Hollyoaks' Andrew Still talks Joel deal horror - interview

Hollyoaks teenager Joel Dexter is left fighting for his life this week as his ongoing desire to impress Brendan Brady puts him in grave danger.

Joel becomes jealous in the next few days as new bad boy Walker moves in with Brendan following his surprise arrival in the village. Determined to remain part of his mentor's criminal activities, Joel carries out another deal for Brendan - but soon finds himself badly out of his depth as he is stabbed.

Digital Spy recently chatted to Andrew Still, who plays Joel, to hear about the latest dramatic storyline for his character.

How does Joel react to Walker's arrival in the village?
    "There's an immediate clash there. With Walker getting close to Brendan, there's some jealousy from Joel. He feels that he's had to earn his place at the table in the past six months, but suddenly Walker is involved in a deal too. Joel and Walker definitely don't get on.

"But in real life, Neil Newbon who plays Walker is lovely - he's a really nice guy and I think he's going to be a great addition to the cast. When people see some of the stuff that he's done, they're going to be very impressed."

How does Joel's stabbing come about?
    "It's very much involved with Walker's entrance into the show. Walker comes in with a deal for Brendan, and Brendan decides to go forward with it. Joel worms his way into this and he's sent to take some money in return for some sort of shady package.

"Walker is supposed to be there too, but he pulls out at the last minute. Joel goes in and unfortunately things don't turn out quite the way he hoped. That's when he gets stabbed."

Doesn't Joel have any reservations about carrying out the deal by himself?
    "I think the thing with Joel is that he's a wee boy trying to play the hard man. In his mind, he can stand up against the big dogs, but of course he can't. As Joel has been dealing with Brendan for the past six months, he feels like he's proved himself - but he's out of his depth."

Are the stabbing scenes quite dramatic, or are there limitations due to the 6.30pm timeslot?
    "I haven't seen the final edit so it might have changed quite a bit with compliance, but when we filmed it, we really went for it. I've seen some of the raw footage and I hope some of that stuff comes through in the edit, because from what I saw it looked good.

"The scenes are really big and it was very challenging to film - I really wanted to do the story justice. Hopefully that will come across on screen, but as I haven't seen it yet, I'm waiting in trepidation like everyone else!"

If Joel survived, do you think he'd change his ways or carry on down the same path?
    "I think we'll just have to wait and see! I think something like this would definitely make you look at the world differently, but you'll have to tune in to see exactly what happens."

Why has Joel been so keen to prove himself to Brendan this year?
    "Because Joel's never really had a dad in his life, he's constantly looking for that father figure and role model. It just so happens that Brendan has been the person to take Joel under his wing, and so he's going down a dodgy path.

"The fact that Joel hasn't had a dad means that he craves a father figure and older male guidance. I think you can tell he's never really had an adult male in his life - he's a wee boy, and he has a misguided view of how men should react to things and how the dodgy business world works."

Could Joel start to be impressed by Walker in the same way he is with Brendan?
    "I don't know, but I think Joel is very insecure and insular - he doesn't like to let many people in. I think Walker would have to do something great for Joel to start viewing him in a different light!"

© Lime Pictures
    © Lime Pictures

When we first met Joel, he was a bit of a bad lad with a conscience. Do you think he's losing that conscience now?
    "The conscience is definitely still there, but I think all the time that he's spent with Brendan has been hiding that a little bit. I think if Joel was ever in circumstances where he wasn't with Brendan, you'd start to see him becoming his own man - and that conscience would really come out more."

You've said in other interviews that you're nothing like Joel, but are there any ways you can relate to him?
    "I can in terms of his romantic side with Theresa. When Joel opens up and lets Theresa in, that's probably more like me."

Could there ever be a happy ending for Joel and Theresa?
    "I would like to say yes, but I have to say probably not! I think there's too much drama in both of their lives - which is the case for most people in the Hollyoaks village. But that's what makes it interesting - the drama."

As Hollyoaks is your first big TV role, how has it changed things for you over the past few months?
    "It's astronomical the way my life's changed - it's pretty crazy just to even think about it. I'm living in a totally different city, I'm becoming my own person, and I've got my driving test coming up. I'm also finding how much things cost - flats and living expenses!

"On top of that, Hollyoaks is a fantastic place to work - I couldn't ask for anywhere better."

Which stories or moments have you enjoyed the most so far?
    "The big fight scene with Joel and Callum was fantastic. Myself and Laurie [Duncan] are mates, and the best thing about doing a fight scene with someone you're friends with is that it's not awkward. I've done fight scenes with extras and it can be a bit weird when you've just met somebody and then you have to pretend to punch them in the face! With Laurie, I think I actually did punch him in the face accidentally during one take, but he said it was fine.

"There's a couple of other bits and bobs that I'm really proud of. Just for me personally, I remember being out filming the Christmas stuff in the freezing cold, and that was a big moment. There's actually been a lot of big moments on the show for me and I've been really fortunate."

has andrew left the role?

Hollyoaks better watch out because Warren Fox's son Joel is heading back to the village, we can confirm.
    We can reveal that Joel Dexter is making his comeback after three years away from Chester in what is set to be an explosive Autumn on the soap - but viewers need to prepare themselves because he's a bit different as bosses have re-cast the role.
    Joel was originally played by Andrew Still, pictured below, but a new actor is taking on the part and will be formally announced in the coming days.
    The last time fans saw Joel - dubbed "Scottish Foxy" by fans - he was in a spot of bother having tried to scam a load of money from Brendan Brady, and of course he played a role in his estranged dad Warren getting cornered by the police, so will the bad boy be pleased to see his son?
    We're not allowed to give away too many details about Joel's comeback for now but it seems he maybe a reformed character and not such the bad boy he was when he left in 2013.
    A source for the soap says he has been filming scenes with Chester's new cop, Ryan Knight, who is played by Duncan James - so could Warren's love child have turned over a new leaf and what's in store for the father and son? All will be revealed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (17-08-2016)

Warren Fox's son Joel Dexter is returning to Hollyoaks - but he's looking a little (well, a lot) different.

Show bosses have recast the role of 'Scottish Foxy', with actor Rory Douglas Speed taking over the part from previous cast member Andrew Still.

And if you thought the recast was a surprise, that's just the half of it. Turns out that Joel has found God during his time away from the village and is now a trainee priest. Well, we certainly weren't expecting that!

Hollyoaks bosses are billing the new-look Joel as a man who's walking the road to redemption after his previous mistakes.

Rory Douglas Speed as Joel Dexter in Hollyoaks
    © Lime Pictures

Joel's exit storyline in January 2013 saw him driven out of the village by Brendan Brady, who'd caught the troublesome rogue trying to steal money from him and ordered him to disappear.

But it looks like Brendan ultimately did Joel a huge favour, since he then headed down a better path after finding religion. Phew!

Joel is now a friendly and approachable priest who'll keep even the darkest confessions a secret. Well, we're sure he won't be short of those in Hollyoaks!

But could there be trouble to come? Insiders say that Joel's strict moral code will be strongly tested by his reunion with his villainous father Warren, so watch this space.

Newcomer Rory commented: "I'm super chuffed to be a part of such a well-known and well received show.

"Everybody involved is amazing. I'm really excited to see how the character develops. Looking forward to the next chapter of my career!"

Rory has previously performed in theatre shows including Trainspotting, which was staged at the King's Head Theatre earlier this year.

Scottish Foxy will be back in the village from September. And just in case you've forgotten, we'll leave you with this picture of what he used to look like.

Digital Spy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (18-08-2016)

Thread Information