Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wimbledon 2012

Wimbledon 2012

Wimbledon will continue to be aired on the BBC until at least 2017 after the All England Tennis Club extended the broadcaster's deal by a further three years.

The Grand Slam tournament is among the "crown jewels" list of sporting events protected for free-to-air television, meaning there was little chance of Sky or other broadcasters picking up the rights.

The BBC has also broadcast coverage of Wimbledon since 1927 and was not expected to lose the event, despite cutting its budget for sports rights bidding by 15% in the Delivering Quality First cost-cutting initiative.

BBC Sport director Barbara Slater is quoted by PA News as saying: "The BBC's first ever live sport broadcast was from Wimbledon and we are proud that our new deal means the longest partnership in sports broadcasting continues.

"We know that Wimbledon fortnight has a very special place in the hearts of the UK public. We are delighted that our new agreement ensures coverage of the championships remains free to air and available to licence fee payers."

All England Club chief executive Ian Ritchie added: "Wimbledon fans have been enjoying the BBC's broadcast coverage of the championships since 1927 and we are delighted to be extending this enduring and successful partnership for a further three years."

The BBC came in for strong criticism from viewers in August after agreeing a new deal to share the Formula One rights with Sky from next season.

The satellite pay-TV giant will screen all practice, qualifying and grand prixs live, while the BBC will only show 50% of the races, with the remainder being made available via a highlights package.

The BBC confirmed that the approach was designed to make savings on its £40m-per-year contract to show F1, but fans of the sport have complained about the loss of free-to-air coverage.

Wow I'm surprised I thought this would have went to SKY as well.

Thanks to Vicky for my great new banner xxx
    "Maddest Member again How come I've been taking my meds"

It is finally Murray's year this year?

Quote Originally Posted by tammyy2j View Post
    It is finally Murray's year this year?
    It will be if he overcomes Federer. This could be Andy's one and only chance at winning, with Nadal making an early exit. Fed is not as strong as he used to be, as long as Andy doesn't make any stupid mistakes on Sunday he can win, though be prepared for a 5 set game. I'd love to see Fed equal Sampra's 7 wins but I have to support Murray.

I think its a big achievement that a brit is in the final after 74 years! But I also hope he can win

I love my wee Fed but sorry I've got to cheer for the wee lad from Dunblane. Come on Murray get a greasy flat sausage roll and a can of irn bru down you before the match and you will smash Fed.

Hasnt Murray beaten him more times than hes lost to him? well I think thats what they were saying on the radio

No I think Fed has won more times but I think that Fed is not as strong as he used to be whether Murray has become a lot more stronger and powerful since Lendl has been his trainer so he may out run Fed.

http://www.tennis.com/livescores/hea...7591&id2=48783

Looks like Murray has one over on him

There are a couple of comments above about Federer not being as good as he used to be. Have you seen him at Wimbledon this year? He has been brilliant. The way he disposed of top seed, Djokovic, was breath taking. I don't think anyone can rely on Federer not being as good as he used to be! Murray is certainly going to have his work cut out, that's for sure.

By the way, now he's reached the final, has Murray officially become British rather than Scottish!?

Thread Information