Emmerdale bosses have announced that Gaynor Faye is joining the cast of the soap, taking on the role of Declan's glamorous half-sister Megan Macey.

Megan will make her debut on screen in early 2012 when she turns up to stay with Declan (Jason Merrells) at Home Farm, and show bosses have teased that she quickly makes an impact in the village.

Billed as "fiercely ambitious, intimidating and oozing self-confidence", Megan is able to stand up for herself against Declan and also shakes things up for his relationship with Katie (Sammy Winward).

Declan makes contact with his estranged sibling because he wants her to be involved in a big new project which looks likely to divide the village.

However, as Declan has been known for his turbulent family relationships in the past, viewers will be left to wonder whether he and Megan will become a formidable team or end up at odds.

Faye commented: "I'm incredibly excited to be joining Emmerdale and being a Yorkshire lass myself, filming in Leeds, my home town, is the icing on the cake!

"The women on Emmerdale are strong and feisty and I can't wait to play my character, who's fun but extremely driven and will stop at nothing to get her own way!

"She's quite different to many of the roles that I have played before and hopefully will take people by surprise. Here's to the New Year when I take my first tipple in The Woolpack!"

Emmerdale's series producer Stuart Blackburn added: "I'm thrilled to welcome Gaynor to the show. This is an exciting new character for us and a new era at Home Farm. Megan will quickly remind Declan she has a shrewd ability to get what she wants, when she wants it."

Faye is best known for roles in Coronation Street, Fat Friends and The Chase. She also starred in Playing The Field, on which she worked alongside Emmerdale actor James Thornton (John Barton).