Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beth Tinker (Lisa George)

Lisa George's contract to play Beth Tinker has been extended a further six months. She will continue to stitch knickers, torture Tracy Barlow and have her oh-so-blunt say until at least October. This is great news as she's quickly turned into one of my favourites!

She's appeared in Coronation Street before in short parts, as a family liason officer after Tommy Harris was killed and in 1997, a non-speaking extra as a colleague of Martin Platt. She's thrilled to bits to be part of the iconic Corrie. Recent gigs have seen her touring nursing homes around the UK as part of an entertainment act.

In an interview, Lisa says she loves playing Beth who's quite different from her. She's much braver and Lisa loves that Beth says what she thinks, even if she doesn't actually think before she speaks sometimes!

"Beth is cross, brash and bold. She is a soft touch, though, and unfortunately she doesn't think before she speaks!"
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (22-03-2012)

good news, she is really growing on me

MAKING it to the cobbles of Coronation Street is the holy grail among some actors – and Lisa George has done just that.

She is currently on our screens as brash and flirty motor-mouth Beth Tinker.

Lisa George plays Beth Tinker for a further six months in ITV's Coronation Street.
    • • •
    Lisa, 40, whose parents live in Cleethorpes, first appeared in the ITV soap back in 2007 as Jacqui, a family liaison officer working on the murder of Tommy Harris. She had also appeared as an unnamed nurse, a colleague of Martin Platt, in 1997.

And now she has been transformed into Beth – a single parent who first turned up in Weatherfield as the nightmare date of Steve McDonald, in August last year.

The show's producers liked her so much, she has been introduced more permanently.

So Lisa has gone from touring care homes around the country as an entertainment act to a character in one of Britain's best-loved TV serials.

She said: "Beth is really good fun to play, she is outspoken and so naughty – the opposite of me really.

"I wouldn't be as brave as her. She is such a flirt with every bloke and Beth's unlucky in love, but she has a good go.

"My mum and dad are really proud of me. Dad now records every episode I'm in – he wasn't a Coronation Street fan until I was in it!

"I am busy filming in Leeds every day, I feel lucky to have this opportunity.

"It is overwhelming at the beginning being on the cobbles, but I already knew a few of the actors, such as Julie Hesmondhalgh, who plays Hayley Cropper, from my previous roles.

"In May 2011, I was touring care homes across the country. It was just another way to sustain the acting business and earn myself some extra money.

"I was touring nursing homes in Glasgow when the Coronation Street role came up.

"I was delighted they asked me to audition for the role, which initially lasted four weeks.

"Then the producer, Phil Collinson, took me out for lunch at a five-star hotel and extended my contract by six months, so it will now end in October. I was overwhelmed and shocked."

So far, Lisa's character, who works as a machinist at the Underworld factory, is sharing a house with Corrie bad girl Tracy and has struck up a friendship with Eileen.

Beth first appeared as an old flame of Steve, who arranged a date with her to make his now ex-wife, Becky, jealous.

Steve – played by Simon Gregson – remembered Beth as a stunning model when he knew her years previously, but wasn't as impressed when they were reunited.

In the end, Beth and Steve were kicked out of the bistro after a heated row with Becky.

Now, Beth is back – and Lisa said she will be getting involved in "some of the dramas" at the factory. Steve has already moved Beth into his home to upset his current wife, Tracy.

It is not the first time Lisa, who lives in Leeds, has been in a northern soap – she played Pauline Arkwright in an episode of Emmerdale.

And she is delighted at being in such a flagship TV programme.

"Filming is strange, the interior is inside and the exterior is outside – you have to keep track with what scene you are filming," said Lisa, who is engaged to Richard, who hails from Lincoln.

"Beth is cross, brash and bold. She is a soft touch, though, and unfortunately she doesn't think before she speaks!

"There is a lot of fun in store for Beth in Coronation Street, so keep a look-out."

Quote Originally Posted by sarah c View Post
    good news, she is really growing on me
    she's a hoot

Coronation Street star Lisa George has described her role in the soap as a "lifesaver".

The actress, who plays factory worker Beth Tinker, admitted that she was struggling to make ends meet prior to landing the job.

"I feel I've been given a golden ticket. Coronation Street has been a lifesaver and I still can't quite believe it. It's been really tough. At times I've been on the breadline," she told The People.

"I'm so grateful to Ma and Pa and my boyfriend for *supporting me. Over the years I've done everything to make ends meet. I worked in a fish finger factory, a pasta factory and a bike factory, threading gears in bikes and drilling handle bars.

"I've sold cigars in a posh restaurant wearing fishnets and a tutu. I've been a PA and sold tickets in the Albert Hall's box office. I've been a holiday camp bluecoat, a backing singer and a singing teacher - you name it, I've done it."

George added that she never gave up on her dream of becoming an actress and uses her real life struggles as inspiration for Beth.

Coronation Street factory worker Beth Tinker has kept fans chuckling in recent months, never short of something to say at Underworld and The Rovers.

In real life, Lisa George - who plays the mum-of-one - has been nominated for 'Best Newcomer' at the 2012 Inside Soap Awards, appearing on the longlist with co-star Natalie Gumede (Kirsty Soames) and a number of faces from the other soaps.

Digital Spy recently chatted to Lisa about the nomination and Beth's future on the cobbles.

Congratulations on your nomination for 'Best Newcomer' at the Inside Soap Awards. How does it feel to be in the running?
    "I'm really pleased and I was very surprised to be nominated. I didn't expect it at all, so I was just really shocked!"

How do you rate your chances?
    "Well, to be honest with you, I think Natalie Gumede is doing an amazing job and I think it'll probably go to her, because she's just brilliant. If I don't win, I won't mind at all, because it's just really nice to be nominated - that's quite lovely in itself."

Is there anything you'd say for why fans should vote for you?
    "Well, if people enjoy a bit of light relief, they're liking the character and she brings a smile to their face, then why not vote for Beth?"

We first saw you in Corrie for two episodes last August. Did you ever imagine that Beth would later become a regular?
    "God no, not at all! All I knew was that I was contracted for two episodes, so that's what I concentrated on. I never imagined for a minute that the character would come back - it didn't even enter my head. It was a huge shock when they said that they might bring me back. I couldn't believe it, really!"

How did you find your first scenes with Simon Gregson and Katherine Kelly in those initial episodes?
    "Oh, they were so brilliant and fab - I was really excited that I was working with those two. I had met Simon Gregson before because I'd done other small appearances on Corrie, but he and Katherine were really encouraging. Simon is so easy to work with, too. You can say, 'Can I put this into the scene?' and he'll say 'Yes' straight away. He's just really easy-going."

How are you finding your time on the show now that you're a regular?
    "The time has gone by really quickly. It's been nine months now since I was brought back, and the first six months in particular absolutely flew by. The working weeks also seem to go by so quickly, probably because I'm enjoying it so much. You think, 'Oh, is it the weekend already?' It's unbelievable."

What kind of a reaction have you had for the role of Beth?
    "I've had some really lovely comments. There's been a nice reaction from fan letters - people have been writing in to say that they think Beth is really funny and they're loving her character. I think people like that she's so loud and she says things that aren't very PC!

"There's one particular letter that I've put on my pinboard. It's from a guy who's disabled so he's not able to get out much, but he said, 'I'd love to go out for a drink with Beth - she'd just make my day and be so fun to spend time with'. I just thought that was so sweet. I've had lots of really nice things said to me, which is great because you obviously want people to like your character."

Do you get recognised much when you're out and about?
    "No, not at all! It's great - I can get away with it when I'm out of costume. There's only a couple of times that I've been recognised when I'm in Manchester, but back home in Leeds I don't get recognised at all."

Is there anyone in particular who you've made friends with on set?
    "I get on really, really well with Shobna, who plays Sunita. We've got a mutual friend, who suggested that I should get to know her once I started on Corrie. So I've been round to her place for a meal after work."

Can we expect to see more scenes with Beth's son Craig (played by Colson Smith)?
    "I haven't seen him for a while actually, but I know he's contracted for a few months like myself, so I'm sure he'll be in the show again. We keep in touch with texts and Facebook messages. He actually came in on the set the other day, but I was out so I missed him!"

Would you like the viewers to meet Craig's father at some point?
    "It could be interesting! I've recently had to comment on him in a scene, saying that he'd legged it as soon as he found out that Beth was pregnant. It's been a long time since he's seen Craig - he possibly never has. So it'd be a shock if he did come onto the Street!"

Beth's unlikely friendship with Tracy Barlow has also been funny to watch…
    "Oh God, I love those scenes. I love working with Kate Ford, and I think we've got a really good chemistry together."

How do you feel about people comparing Beth to Cilla Battersby-Brown?
    "I don't want Beth to be like Cilla at all. I admit that I do look a bit like her, and I have been compared to her in the past when I've done other things like panto.

"But I don't think that Beth is as callous as Cilla was. Cilla didn't care for her kids, but Beth is really soft. She comes across as gobby and harsh, but she's a very different character to Cilla. I'd like to think that people see that."

Beth is an extreme character, but are there any ways you can relate to her?
    "Definitely - from when I was poor and working in a factory! I understand what it's like to struggle for money."

You've been in the industry for a long time, but how does it feel to have a regular, high-profile role?
    "It's amazing. To act every day is just a dream, really. It's what you always want as an actor, so Coronation Street is just a perfect job - it's fab.

"It's been a long journey to get to this point. It's weird, because people assume that you haven't done anything else before, but actually I've been doing it for 16 years now. If people don't see you on telly, they sometimes forget that you might have done theatre and other things. I've been in the business for quite a long time, doing acting and singing. I do a lot of singing - and I actually still teach singing as well."

How long are you definitely staying with Corrie for?
    "At the moment, I'm waiting to hear whether my contract will be renewed. I've definitely got a few more months here either way, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will continue after that."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to alan45 For This Useful Post:

Glen1 (06-08-2012)

Coronation Street factory worker Beth Tinker has kept fans chuckling in recent months, never short of something to say at Underworld and The Rovers.

In real life, Lisa George - who plays the mum-of-one - has been nominated for 'Best Newcomer' at the 2012 Inside Soap Awards, appearing on the longlist with co-star Natalie Gumede (Kirsty Soames) and a number of faces from the other soaps.

Digital Spy recently chatted to Lisa about the nomination and Beth's future on the cobbles.

Congratulations on your nomination for 'Best Newcomer' at the Inside Soap Awards. How does it feel to be in the running?
    "I'm really pleased and I was very surprised to be nominated. I didn't expect it at all, so I was just really shocked!"

How do you rate your chances?
    "Well, to be honest with you, I think Natalie Gumede is doing an amazing job and I think it'll probably go to her, because she's just brilliant. If I don't win, I won't mind at all, because it's just really nice to be nominated - that's quite lovely in itself."

Is there anything you'd say for why fans should vote for you?
    "Well, if people enjoy a bit of light relief, they're liking the character and she brings a smile to their face, then why not vote for Beth?"

We first saw you in Corrie for two episodes last August. Did you ever imagine that Beth would later become a regular?
    "God no, not at all! All I knew was that I was contracted for two episodes, so that's what I concentrated on. I never imagined for a minute that the character would come back - it didn't even enter my head. It was a huge shock when they said that they might bring me back. I couldn't believe it, really!"

How did you find your first scenes with Simon Gregson and Katherine Kelly in those initial episodes?
    "Oh, they were so brilliant and fab - I was really excited that I was working with those two. I had met Simon Gregson before because I'd done other small appearances on Corrie, but he and Katherine were really encouraging. Simon is so easy to work with, too. You can say, 'Can I put this into the scene?' and he'll say 'Yes' straight away. He's just really easy-going."

How are you finding your time on the show now that you're a regular?
    "The time has gone by really quickly. It's been nine months now since I was brought back, and the first six months in particular absolutely flew by. The working weeks also seem to go by so quickly, probably because I'm enjoying it so much. You think, 'Oh, is it the weekend already?' It's unbelievable."

What kind of a reaction have you had for the role of Beth?
    "I've had some really lovely comments. There's been a nice reaction from fan letters - people have been writing in to say that they think Beth is really funny and they're loving her character. I think people like that she's so loud and she says things that aren't very PC!

"There's one particular letter that I've put on my pinboard. It's from a guy who's disabled so he's not able to get out much, but he said, 'I'd love to go out for a drink with Beth - she'd just make my day and be so fun to spend time with'. I just thought that was so sweet. I've had lots of really nice things said to me, which is great because you obviously want people to like your character."

Do you get recognised much when you're out and about?
    "No, not at all! It's great - I can get away with it when I'm out of costume. There's only a couple of times that I've been recognised when I'm in Manchester, but back home in Leeds I don't get recognised at all."

Is there anyone in particular who you've made friends with on set?
    "I get on really, really well with Shobna, who plays Sunita. We've got a mutual friend, who suggested that I should get to know her once I started on Corrie. So I've been round to her place for a meal after work."

Can we expect to see more scenes with Beth's son Craig (played by Colson Smith)?
    "I haven't seen him for a while actually, but I know he's contracted for a few months like myself, so I'm sure he'll be in the show again. We keep in touch with texts and Facebook messages. He actually came in on the set the other day, but I was out so I missed him!"

Would you like the viewers to meet Craig's father at some point?
    "It could be interesting! I've recently had to comment on him in a scene, saying that he'd legged it as soon as he found out that Beth was pregnant. It's been a long time since he's seen Craig - he possibly never has. So it'd be a shock if he did come onto the Street!"

Beth's unlikely friendship with Tracy Barlow has also been funny to watch…
    "Oh God, I love those scenes. I love working with Kate Ford, and I think we've got a really good chemistry together."

How do you feel about people comparing Beth to Cilla Battersby-Brown?
    "I don't want Beth to be like Cilla at all. I admit that I do look a bit like her, and I have been compared to her in the past when I've done other things like panto.

"But I don't think that Beth is as callous as Cilla was. Cilla didn't care for her kids, but Beth is really soft. She comes across as gobby and harsh, but she's a very different character to Cilla. I'd like to think that people see that."

Beth is an extreme character, but are there any ways you can relate to her?
    "Definitely - from when I was poor and working in a factory! I understand what it's like to struggle for money."

You've been in the industry for a long time, but how does it feel to have a regular, high-profile role?
    "It's amazing. To act every day is just a dream, really. It's what you always want as an actor, so Coronation Street is just a perfect job - it's fab.

"It's been a long journey to get to this point. It's weird, because people assume that you haven't done anything else before, but actually I've been doing it for 16 years now. If people don't see you on telly, they sometimes forget that you might have done theatre and other things. I've been in the business for quite a long time, doing acting and singing. I do a lot of singing - and I actually still teach singing as well."

How long are you definitely staying with Corrie for?
    "At the moment, I'm waiting to hear whether my contract will be renewed. I've definitely got a few more months here either way, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will continue after that."

Coronation Street star Lisa George has revealed Beth Tinker could be about to find true love at last
    The flirty factory worker is besotted with Steve McDonald but her unrequited love may be cured, as Lisa tells Inside Soap magazine she is destined to find a new man in her life.
    Lisa revealed: "Beth is about to get some love in her life.
    "So far we've seen her throw herself at every bloke going, and that just shows she's really insecure and desperate to be loved.
    "In the storyline which is coming up she's vulnerable, and that's something viewers haven't seen in her yet.
    "I can't tell you who the man in question is - but he likes animals!"
    The actress also admitted she loves her crazy character's outrageous behaviour.
    She said: "I love her because I'd never have the guts to say the things she says in real life!
    "It feels quite empowering to me, because Beth just speaks her and is very brave in that way."

Coronation Street star Lisa George has revealed Beth Tinker could be about to find true love at last
    The flirty factory worker is besotted with Steve McDonald but her unrequited love may be cured, as Lisa tells Inside Soap magazine she is destined to find a new man in her life.
    Lisa revealed: "Beth is about to get some love in her life.
    "So far we've seen her throw herself at every bloke going, and that just shows she's really insecure and desperate to be loved.
    "In the storyline which is coming up she's vulnerable, and that's something viewers haven't seen in her yet.
    "I can't tell you who the man in question is - but he likes animals!"
    The actress also admitted she loves her crazy character's outrageous behaviour.
    She said: "I love her because I'd never have the guts to say the things she says in real life!
    "It feels quite empowering to me, because Beth just speaks her and is very brave in that way."

Beth, Kirk and Sinead move in next week with Chesney

Thread Information