Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Karl and Susan

Karl and Susan

FAVOURITES Karl and Susan Kennedy will decide to separate after a make-or-break holiday.

Their life-changing decision leaves their son Malcolm devastated.

And desperate to point the finger of blame, he takes his anger out on his mum.

But devoted Karl admits it was actually his decision to end their marriage, which leaves the lad torn between the two.

Fans of the hit Channel 5 soap have watched the couple’s relationship crumble following Susan’s emotional involvement with cancer-stricken Jim Dolan.

And things will only get worse as Jim’s condition deteriorates.

An insider said: “Susan misses Jim’s final moments and blames Karl.

“As she comes to terms with her grief their rows escalate over the next few weeks.”

Catch it all at the end of next month.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (18-09-2011), Randalstyle (22-11-2019)

I hope they don't separate for long

The new producers of Neighbours have described characters Karl and Susan Kennedy as "soul mates".

Executive producer Richard Jasek and producer Alan Hardy, who were recently hired to take over the Australian soap, said that the separation of the fictional couple - played by Alan Fletcher and Jackie Woodburne - had a great "impact" on viewers because they had been together for such a long time.

When asked if Karl and Susan will get back together again, Jasek only told The Age: "They're soul mates."

He added: "You can have another couple break up and hopefully the audience cares about it but with Karl and Susan, because of that history, because you know everything they've gone through, it has so much more impact.''

Jasek that he likes working for a show that has an "incredibly rich history", adding: "That legacy provides structure, but it's also a millstone. The thing is to appreciate it and work with it."

He also revealed that he appreciates the difference between the Australian audience and international Neighbours viewers, saying: "In the UK, the audience tends to be broader and skewed older, so we need to be a broad church so we can play to multiple age groups.''

Hardy described his job as "great fun", but joked: "Although, in 12 months time, when they're carrying me out of here on a stretcher, ask me if I'm still having fun."

Jasek recently announced that a new actress is being introduced to the Neighbours cast to play Kyle Canning's grandmother. He said: "We'll see more of the Canning family in the form of Kyle's grandmother coming and spending some time. [She will be] quite a big character - in all senses."

Neighbours star Jordy Lucas has revealed that she is eager to see a reunion for fan favourites Karl and Susan Kennedy.

Karl and Susan split last year after they were unable to move on from the disputes they had over the late Jim Dolan (Scott Parameter).

Speaking to Digital Spy, Lucas - who plays Summer Hoyland - admitted that she has not yet heard of any plans to bring the popular pair back together.

She explained: "There's nothing that I have heard of. But I personally hope they'll get back together, and I'm sure that they still love each other.

"Hopefully in the future they will be able to reunite."

Lucas added that she has learned a lot from working closely with Alan Fletcher and Jackie Woodburne, who play Karl and Susan.

"They're very supportive," she said. "I'm very, very lucky to be able to work alongside such talented and experienced actors.

"I couldn't ask for much more than that - they've been on the show for 17 years and they know the ins and outs of the industry and acting. They've been able to share a lot of that with me, so that's been really good."

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5 in the UK and weekdays at 6.30pm on Eleven in Australia.

I hope they don't split them up for good

Neighbours character Susan Kennedy will struggle to cope with her multiple sclerosis in upcoming episodes.

The Ramsay Street favourite, who was diagnosed with the disease back in 2009, refuses help from estranged husband Karl but struggles to do jobs around the house.

Susan, played by Jackie Woodburne, will turn to Dr Rhys Lawson, who understands her situation and agrees to help her maintain a level of independence.

"Susan always had Karl to keep an eye on her in case she suffered an episode," an insider said to the Daily Star.

"Viewers will see her struggle to deal with even the simplest domestic chores.

"She always knew it was going to be hard living alone, but Karl is the last person she wants to turn to. She doesn't want to admit she needs him but she does. In the end she confides in Dr Rhys."

Susan's battle will air on Channel 5 in the UK this summer.

Neighbours star Jackie Woodburne has revealed details of her character Susan Kennedy's upcoming multiple sclerosis relapse.

The Ramsay Street favourite revealed to TV Week that Susan ignores the advice of former husband Karl (Alan Fletcher) after the pressure from boss Paul (Stefan Dennis) in her newspaper editor role leaves her exhausted.

"She's working 24 hours a day to try to get the paper to take on a different form and is running herself into the ground," Woodburne said.

"She's unable to stop the trembling in her hand, is quite dizzy and her vision becomes blurred - all indications of an MS relapse, which would be her worst nightmare."

Referring to Karl's concern, the actress added: "He knows she can be a bit of a dog with a bone and not do things in half measures and she'll just keep going until she drops.

"He's looking at it from the perspective of an ex-husband who still has strong feelings for her, but also as a doctor, so he knows the consequences could be quite serious if she doesn't rest."

Susan was diagnosed with the disease in 2007.

Neighbours favourite Susan Kennedy is currently going through big changes on screen as she adjusts to life without husband Karl following their latest split.

Now working as editor of the Erinsborough News, Susan appears to be throwing herself into her career - but this could come at a cost to her health as she struggles with her MS again.

Digital Spy recently caught up with Jackie Woodburne, who plays Susan, to hear her take on the new chapter for her character.

Woodburne joked: "I don't like it when [Karl and Susan] break up! When they told us that they were going to separate Karl and Susan again, we were both a bit devastated, really, because we enjoy working together so much.

"But I think this break-up's a bit different, because it's not about an affair - it's just that Susan's at a point in her life where she wants to see who she is if she's not a mother or a wife. Who is she as single Susan?"

Confirming that she has no plans to leave Neighbours, the actress added: "The show's going through a really strong phase at the moment. We've got a really great young cast, we've got a really, really good strong group of young actors at the moment.

"And that kind of reinvigorates those of us who've been in the show for a long time. We lock into their energy and their enthusiasm, and that inspires us - and in turn, hopefully we inspire them."

Neighbours airs weekdays at 1.45pm and 5.30pm on Channel 5 in the UK and weekdays at 6.30pm on Eleven in Australia.

Maybe this time they will stay apart and just be friends?

Jackie Woodburne and Alan Fletcher pushed producers to reunite their Neighbours characters, it has been revealed.

Woodburne strongly believes that bringing Susan and Karl back together reflects the wishes of the soap's viewers.

Chemistry grows between the legendary former couple in the coming weeks, but Susan is reluctant to respond to Karl's advances.

She told TV Week: "Fletch and I have been championing the story for a long time.

"We were both very, very happy to learn there was a possibility they may get back together. I think the fans definitely want this, too.

"Going by what people tell me when I go to the shops, or when they write in, the first question is always, 'When do you two get back together?'

"That's lovely to hear, because that's what we've been asking writers for a long time as well."

Susan and Karl, who have been separated for just over a year, will soon share a moment of intimacy.

Woodburne added: "They have such a deep connection and a deep bond, and the affection between them has never gone away. They keep coming back to each other.

"Is it because it's familiar or easy, or is it more? I think Susan's been in denial for quite a while, and when she stops Karl, she just can't deal with what she's feeling at the time."

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

Dazzle (15-01-2013), lyndapym (18-01-2013)

Neighbours legend Alan Fletcher has explained why Karl Kennedy kisses Sarah Beaumont in an upcoming episode.

Doctor Karl will embrace his old flame and Ramsay Street returnee Sarah in intimate scenes to be screened next week in Australia and during late March in the UK.

"Reeling" after receiving shock divorce papers from wife Susan, Fletcher told TV Week of the surprise development: "The kiss happens from loss, it's two people who are sharing joint sadness but there is also history there.

"They're remembering the closeness they once had and at that point they begin to feel that same closeness again.

"Sarah is prompting a lot, she asks Karl, 'What if we'd stayed together years ago?' There's a question that hangs there for Karl. If they'd got together back then, would they be together still?"

However, Fletcher revealed that Karl feels an instant pang of guilt once he has given in to temptation with the kiss.

"He thinks, 'How did this happen? I love Susan, I can't betray her a second time'," the actor reflected.

"It prompts him to come clean - once and for all - about the full extent of the affair. He doesn't mention the kiss because it didn't mean enough to him."

Thread Information