Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dodger Savage (Danny Mac)

Hollyoaks charmer Dodger Savage may be away from the village at the moment, but he will be facing some of the toughest times of his life when he returns next month.

Future episodes will see Maxine, Theresa and Sienna all vying for Dodger's attentions, leaving him torn in the build-up to the show's huge train crash stunt.

In real life, Danny Mac - who plays Dodger - has secured a place on the longlist for the Serial Drama Performance prize at the National Television Awards, but now needs public votes to make it further.

Chatting to Digital Spy this week, Danny revealed more details of Dodger's future, the train stunt and how he feels about his nomination.

What can we expect when Dodger returns to the village?
    "Dodger is going to be heavily involved in the train crash stunt and he's going to be torn between all of the major women in his life - Sienna, Maxine and Theresa. There are also three kids in his life because of that. That's going to be massive and it's crazy how much Dodger just gets dragged all over the place.

"Dodger is the guy who's always trying to do the right thing, but in this situation it becomes an impossibility, because doing the right thing in one place is very much doing the wrong thing somewhere else. He'll be more torn than ever before. There'll be other spanners thrown in the works too which will make life even more difficult and crazier!"

We know that Patrick will soon start trying to win back Maxine. How would Dodger feel about that?
    "This all happens under Dodger's nose. He's confident when it comes to his relationship with Maxine, but Patrick is very clever with how he deals with it and how he manipulates things. Dodger's relationship with Maxine is something that should be so secure in his life, but then he has to question what is right and wrong for him and what is actually going to work. Is this a life he can really live with - with his dad constantly trying to be with the love of his life?

"The problem for Dodger is that he's got other problems and responsibilities as well. As soon as one priority starts slipping away from him, then he wonders whether he should just focus on another one instead. He wants to keep all of the plates spinning, but Patrick is interfering with that!"

The fans probably prefer the Dodger/Maxine relationship above the others. Do you think Maxine is the one Dodger is meant to be with?
    "Maxine is the one Dodger wants to be with, and vice versa. It seems like they should just be together, but it's not that easy. The main problem is that the other two girls aren't going to let him!

"There's also going to be a bit of a turnaround with Theresa and the way she is. I think people may even start to change their mind and things may start to develop differently with the fans, as it will for Dodger too. He's going to be torn left, right, and centre!"

Maxine proposes to Dodger
    © Lime Pictures
    Maxine and Dodger

Dodger always seems to forgive Sienna's bad behaviour! Could there be a tipping point for him?
    "Yes definitely! There definitely can be, but I can't tell you what it is or why! It still amazes me how Dodger manages to be so sympathetic towards Sienna. If it was me, I'd turn the other way and run back to where I came from, but Dodger seems to have this constant responsibility over anyone who comes into his life.

"It gets really crazy and eventually we move to Dodger finally finding out the truth about Nico. When Sienna loses the inhibition of that secret and it's finally out there, that's not going to do anyone any favours.

"The truth coming out throws Sienna into a false sense of security where she thinks everything is okay now. She thinks they can go 110 miles an hour in the direction she wants, but it's not what Dodger or anyone else wants!"

How did you feel about being chosen to be part of the train crash?
    "I was really, really pleased to be involved with it. I love that set-up at work when we do big stunts, as you get really stuck into something that everyone is giving all of their attention and focus to. When it's something that you get a really good pay-off for at the end, it's so worth it and it's great to be part of it. Not everyone gets to be involved, so I've been lucky.

"With the train crash, it's so nice because they're not just throwing people into this situation for the sake of it. The lead-up to this stunt happens really naturally - it's not like it comes out of nowhere.

"Dodger is a major, major part of it because if he wasn't there, the train crash wouldn't happen, even though it's not about him. Everyone has got their part to play, but it's nice to be the main seed of why the crash happens. Dodger is bringing all of these people together and it's his problems with the girls in his life which becomes the reason for the crash…"

Dodger sympathises with Sienna
    © Lime Pictures
    Sienna and Dodger

What was it like to film such a big stunt?
    "It was crazy! There's a lot of waiting around and prep involved, so you have to be prepared to wait before coming on to do your bit. It's different at the studios because everyone is in the swing of things but when you're on location, everyone has got to get it right at the right time. It's almost like live theatre in a way, because you've got to be ready and you've only got one chance.

"It was crazy and hard work with long days, but we also got to wind down. We stayed over on-location and all got to wind down together. It was like a mini-work holiday at times, but work was always the focus.

"The shoot went so well and the director Graeme Harper is one of the most beautiful, beautiful men. He's just lovely and he's been a joy to be around. The whole thing felt like it was so much fun and there was such a team effort, even though it could be stressful. There's a big moment when the train crash leads to an explosion and I'm intrigued to see what it'll look like!"

How do you feel about being up for the Serial Drama Performance prize at the NTAs?
    "I'm really pleased to be up for that. I think it's the first time I've ever been nominated in that category, so it's pretty much the pinnacle and it's exactly what you want to be aiming for when you're coming into a show like this. To finally get put into the longlist is nice.

"It's nice to think that I've been put forward by the show and I have the support from them. I'm really, really pleased about that. It's a nice addition and a step away from the previous awards that I've had!"

Does it mean a lot to be up for an acting award after so many Sexiest Male ones?
    "Of course. I've never shied away or been embarrassed about getting the other awards and nominations, though. I've always taken that with great pleasure, but acting is what I trained to do and what I want to do as that's my job. You want to be the best you can be.

"What's been nice is that people have always been supportive of Dodger and my performance, and I think I have come a long way during my time here at Hollyoaks. I look back to where I started from and would be embarrassed to watch old episodes, but you keep learning and you keep getting better.

"I've always had support from fans and everyone at work, who have commented in such a nice way about the acting as well. That's always meant the most to me. I've never needed a nomination for it, as I probably wouldn't still be in a job if I wasn't good enough anyway! It's never been a worry, because I did my time and trained like everyone else. But to get the nomination is something to aim for and it's just really nice to be in there."

Danny Mac with his Sexiest Male award as he attends the Inside Soap Awards 2014 at DSKRKT, London
    © Getty Images / Tim P. Whitby
    Danny has already won several Sexiest Male awards

Have you thought about your chances of making the shortlist?
    "Oh, I don't know! I would obviously love nothing more to be shortlisted. It already feels like a win to get longlisted, so to get shortlisted would be an absolute dream! That'd be the goal, really."

Which of your scenes in the past year are you most proud of?
    "The story where Holly accused Dodger of rape was one that I enjoyed a lot. It was tough, testing and very different. It was something new for Dodger to contend with, as it was a situation where he could potentially be the bad guy. I was pleased with those scenes. I was also really pleased with a lot of the work I did with James Atherton for the Will storyline at the end of last year.

"Being a part of Maxine and Patrick's domestic abuse story has also been tough but great. There's also a lot of good stuff to come which could possibility sway it, but people won't see that until the voting has closed!

"I do like to think of it as a nomination for my whole time of being at Hollyoaks. Dodger is a character who's been building for four years and he's developed through some crazy stuff. His life is still getting so dramatic and crazy, so I have no idea how he hasn't had a nervous breakdown!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

lizann (27-10-2014)

don't put him with theresa

Hollyoaks star Danny Mac is leaving the show after nearly four years in the role of Dodger Savage, Digital Spy can reveal.

The 26-year-old has decided to bow out to pursue new acting projects and will depart on screen early next year.

After his most dramatic year to date, the turmoil for Dodger isn't over yet as show bosses have lined up an explosive exit storyline for the popular character.

Dodger has recently been at the centre of much attention in the village as his girlfriend Maxine Minniver, ex-lover Theresa McQueen and twin sister Sienna Blake have all been fighting for his affections.

With all three women remaining firmly fixated on him in the weeks ahead, Dodger's final storyline will centre around the choice he has to make and the inevitably dramatic consequences.

Mac joined the cast of Hollyoaks in 2011 and quickly became a hit with fans. He has won the Sexiest Male prize at the British Soap Awards for the past two years and has also twice claimed the title at the Inside Soap Awards.

While Dodger's early storylines revolved around him charming the village's female residents, he has also become a major player in the soap's dramatic storylines in the past two years.

Last year Dodger had to deal with the devastating realisation that his brother Will was a killer. Since then, he has found himself caught up in plenty more heightened situations thanks to the twisted ways of Sienna and their father Patrick.

Hollyoaks' executive producer Bryan Kirkwood recently told Digital Spy: "Dodger will be one of the stars of the show [over the next few months] as we focus on the battle for his heart and body from the good, the bad and the very, very wrong; Maxine, Theresa and Sienna."

Mac himself also recently teased Dodger's future in a chat with DS, saying: "He's going to be torn between all of the major women in his life - Sienna, Maxine and Theresa. There are also three kids in his life because of that. That's going to be massive and it's crazy how much Dodger just gets dragged all over the place.

"Dodger is the guy who's always trying to do the right thing, but in this situation it becomes an impossibility, because doing the right thing in one place is very much doing the wrong thing somewhere else. He'll be more torn than ever before."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perdita For This Useful Post:

tammyy2j (21-11-2014)

Dodger Savage will face the Christmas from hell after Sienna Blake kidnaps him.

Dodger finds himself at the mercy of his twisted twin sister as she holds him captive in the basement of their mother's old house.

As Sienna (Anna Passey) has their daughter Nico holed up at the house too, her behaviour takes an eerie turn once again as she becomes determined to give them the perfect family Christmas.

Dodger is deeply disturbed by Sienna's antics as she repeatedly talks about a 'special celebration' that she has planned for them, but nothing can prepare him for the huge shock in store when he realises exactly what she has in mind.

While full details of the storyline will be revealed nearer the time, the kidnap plot could have huge consequences - as at least one of the three characters lands themselves in terrible danger as the situation escalates.

Dodger's latest ordeal forms part of the ongoing build-up to the popular character's exit from the show.

Sienna, Theresa McQueen and Maxine Minniver have all been competing for the charmer's affections, but when the love war reaches its explosive climax in January, the consequences are bound to be dramatic.

Danny Mac, who plays Dodger, decided to quit Hollyoaks a year ago - prompting show bosses to create a long-term arc leading to his departure.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tammyy2j For This Useful Post:

lizann (01-12-2014)

^ again

I think he may die because of Sienna

Realistically if Dodger leaves/dies, why is Maxine sticking around

will is back for his exit too

good he didn't die

some on line talk of him returning

Thread Information